Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Child molester gets off because he's too short

Author Topic: Child molester gets off because he's too short
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are right Dale. I also think that when the Holy Spirit is indwelling us, we may think that we will respond one way, but then when faced with a crisis or a personal tragedy, by the power of his Spirit we may respond totally differently.

Think of the parent that forgives the one that kills their child. It is a humblng thing to meet a parent who forgives their child's murderer and then visits them in prison to preach the Gospel to the him. This is a testimony of the Love of Christ that cannot be denied.. only the love of Christ could allow us to love in that way. So I think that we may think that we would repond one way, but somehow the grace of God covers us and fills us and we find grace for another, because God finds grace and mercy for the most henious of sinners.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My how our views can change?

At one time in my life (after I had became a Christian) I was ready to judge anyone that did wrong, with no mercy considered in my judgment...

but now after walking with Yeshua for 35 years, and have stumbled and failed miserably at perfection find myself very merciful to those lost or saved that find sin very easy to fall into.

There are sins that we as humans determining to be worse than other sins and we have very little compassion for people that commit them.

But how does Yahweh look at sin, any sin, from the smallest lie to the murderer, rapist, child molester.

I have learned to him that has been forgiven much, forgiveness comes easily. My level of compassion and mercy toward others should be equal to that compassion and mercy that has been given to me.

With that said, I also believe in keeping the commandments, but keep them with mercy and compassion in the front of my heart and mind for those around me.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
quote:
Originally posted by Itty-Bitty Girl:
If the man is on probation... he should not be able to do it again... Should he?

Why not, he will be out on the streets. Judges have let murders out on probation and they murder again.

"Tolerance is a virtue of a man without convictions" - G.K. Chesterton

Yo, that's a good point. I can't say nothing about that one. Now I'm kind of stuck at a standstill on this issue right now...

I think this man won't do anything, but I don't know if he won't.

I know the judge's decision was merciful, but I'm wondering now if it was wise under the circumstances...

Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnnaNZ:
If this judge did her job, this guy would be where he belongs.... in prison!

If "mercy" should over-ride the "sentence" then why do we have courts, judges and prisons??

After all, for a judge to show "mercy" and pardon a sentence, they'd therefore have to be fair and do exactly the same for every criminal who comes up for trial. Otherwise it would be biased, 2-faced and really unfair, right? Mercy should then be given to all equally. Every criminal would therefore receive this "mercy" from the judge, walk away without having to do their sentence, and the world would be a much better place , right?

The judge did NOT "judge", in this case she simply chose to OVERLOOK the whole thing.

Case closed!

The man found guiltly and WAS sentenced, it wasn't like he was aquitted. The man got probation... He did not get off scott-free.
Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaNZ
Community Member
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaNZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this judge did her job, this guy would be where he belongs.... in prison!

If "mercy" should over-ride the "sentence" then why do we have courts, judges and prisons??

After all, for a judge to show "mercy" and pardon a sentence, they'd therefore have to be fair and do exactly the same for every criminal who comes up for trial. Otherwise it would be biased, 2-faced and really unfair, right? Mercy should then be given to all equally. Every criminal would therefore receive this "mercy" from the judge, walk away without having to do their sentence, and the world would be a much better place , right?

The judge did NOT "judge", in this case she simply chose to OVERLOOK the whole thing.

Case closed!

Posts: 10 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If the man is on probation... he should not be able to do it again... Should he?

Why not, he will be out on the streets. Judges have let murders out on probation and they murder again.

"Tolerance is a virtue of a man without convictions" - G.K. Chesterton

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem is, if the judicial system made prudent decisions and had concern for the well being of non-criminals, then we wouldn't have to be discussing this.
Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

quote:
NO, it sure cost the child mental torment for the rest of their life. And to let them go back on the streets and do it again would be on the Judges head and the Judge will answer to God.

quote:
And yes if it were me, YOU should lock me up! The Judge should lock me up.

...even if it would cost you your life???

quote:

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh! Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

Matthew 18:6 through Matthew 18:8 (KJV)

And I thought those verses were talking about the children of God; believers in Christ, like prophets.

I didn't know it reffered to children-children. Honestly, I did not.

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah, I know that you shoud be punished for that... but I don't want the punishment to cost you your life. You know what I mean...???

I wouldn't want to put you in danger of being killed. I would want you to learn your lesson, but I don't want it to cost you your life... See what I'm saying...???

NO, it sure cost the child mental torment for the rest of their life. And to let them go back on the streets and do it again would be on the Judges head and the Judge will answer to God.

And yes if it were me, YOU should lock me up! The Judge should lock me up.

The Holy Bible, King James Version

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh! Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

Matthew 18:6 through Matthew 18:8 (KJV)

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

quote:

So, I know for sure if I was to sexually assaulting a child you should lock me up!

Yeah, I know that you shoud be punished for that... but I don't want the punishment to cost you your life. You know what I mean...???

I wouldn't want to put you in danger of being killed. I would want you to learn your lesson, but I don't want it to cost you your life... See what I'm saying...???

Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WKUHilltopper:
Carmela, you're stronger in the Lord than I. I probably would have "greased" this maggot. I have two daugthers myself and I'm very intolerant to similar issues. God bless your strength.

Greased??? Yo, where is the mercy there???

And it ain't nice to be name-calling, yo. That's mad riddiculous, yo. I don't be down with that kind of stuff... I don't be liking that, yo.

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
This seems a little pessimistic to meeeeeee… How do you know there will even be a next child???

We should make sure there is no next child!

Children can not protect themselves so it is up to us to protect them. Not feed them to the wolves hoping they don't get eaten.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. - Romans 13:4 (KJV)

Punishment is not a popular word in the circles that dislike the language of retribution. However, the apostle Paul is not afraid to speak of the secular authority as “an avenger whoe carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer (Romans 13:4). The treatment of wrongdoing must have a retributive element in it, if it is ever to be corrective.

In John 7:24 He said, "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment." If someone steals, lies, commits adultery or murder, etc., the Christian can make a (righteous) moral judgment and say that the actions were morally wrong, and that these sins will have eternal consequences. Chuck Colson said, "True tolerance is not a total lack of judgment. It’s knowing what should be tolerated—and refusing to tolerate that which shouldn’t."

Proverbs 28:4 through Proverbs 28:7 (KJV)

4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked: but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

6 Better is the poor that walketh in his uprightness, than he that is perverse in his ways, though he be rich.

7 Whoso keepeth the law is a wise son: but he that is a companion of riotous men shameth his father.

Some people have been so misled into believing that love equals tolerance they have with all-out enthusiasm adopted the position that Christians can't identify sin, because that would be judging. Yet Matthew 7:2 says, "For with what judgment ye judge." This Scripture acknowledges that everyone judges.

So, I know for sure if I was to sexually assaulting a child you should lock me up!

Jesus came to bring peace to those who follow his commandments. He did not come to bring peace to the wicked, blasphemers, murders, etc. “Think not that I come to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. Matt. 10:34 ...speaking to the disciples He said, “he that has no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” In Luke 11:21 Jesus gives an example of the importance of being armed in defending one’s home. A man did not fully guard his home and arm himself and they became victims of evil doers. True Christian faith requires each to provide and protect his household. “If any provide not for his own....he is worse than an infidel.” 1 Timothy 5:8

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

quote:
You're comparing Gods mercy towards us with a sinners (the judge's) mercy on another sinner (the felon!)?

Am I really???

I am showing how we must be merciful like God is merciful…

I am using TWO scriptures to prove my point.

1) St. Matthew 5:7 "Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy."

I say this judge is merciful, which she is… She is blessed.

2) St. Luke 6:36 "Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful."

And I am showing how we must be merciful like how God is merciful.

God showed mercy toward us, we got to show mercy toward others…

quote:
The judge does NOT hold the same authority to grant MERCY as God does!

What is you talking about…? A judge has the same authority to grant mercy as you and I. We are ALL capable of showing mercy!

St. Matthew 5:7 "Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy."

quote:
No, We're not in a position to "play God" and say "Well, ok, I forgive ya, so off ya go then.....on your way....!" We can forgive, but this shouldn't prevent the due punishment from being administered.

What is THAT??? I am supposed to be merciful like my Father is… so I would say, "Well, ok, I forgive ya, so off ya go then.....on your way....!" My ability to forgive allows me to show mercy on others. That’s how I roll.

No justice, yo… Only mercy!

St. Luke 6:36 "Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful."

Do you want your due punishment??? Do you want justice or mercy???

quote:
What right does a judge have to say "I think he's not so bad...... we'll let this guy off"

And who said that???

quote:
God shows us His mercy and forgives us and this gives us access to heaven, but not when a judge gives mercy! How can you even compare these two?

quote:
It's interesting that you think we should "have mercy and forgive this guy", but unless he's saved, even God won't be able to give the mercy or forgiveness to him...........!

That don’t even matter. We are still to be merciful anyways whether to both the saved and unsaved, so we can be merciful to ALL people.

If you show no mercy to others, God will show none to you.

quote:
These are 2 very different things.

Yet the message is the same: Be merciful.
AnnaNZ
Community Member
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaNZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on a minute........... The "JUDGE" was willing to have mercy????? You're comparing Gods mercy towards us with a sinners (the judge's) mercy on another sinner (the felon!)? The judge does NOT hold the same authority to grant MERCY as God does!

No, We're not in a position to "play God" and say "Well, ok, I forgive ya, so off ya go then.....on your way....!" We can forgive, but this shouldn't prevent the due punishment from being administered.
What right does a judge have to say "I think he's not so bad...... we'll let this guy off" It's interesting that you think we should "have mercy and forgive this guy", but unless he's saved, even God won't be able to give the mercy or forgiveness to him...........!

God shows us His mercy and forgives us and this gives us access to heaven, but not when a judge gives mercy! How can you even compare these two?

It's interesting that you think we should "have mercy and forgive this guy", but unless he's saved by the GRACE and MERCY of God through jesus Christ, even God won't be able to give the mercy or forgiveness to save him...........!

These are 2 very different things.

Posts: 10 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

quote:
Justice is mercy. There was no justice served because some bone-headed judge felt she could go outside of the justice system and form her own opinion.

I see it differently… I see a judge who was willing to have mercy on a victim. She showed compassion in her ruling.

Justice is NOT mercy. This man for his sin deserved to die… but so did we for ours. Justice is death sure. Mercy is life. God shows mercy on people, regardless of their sins and offers them life.

So shouldn’t His children show mercy on others???

What do you want this offender to receive in your eyes…???

Justice?

jus•tice \"j€s-t€s\ n 1 : the administration of what is just (as by assigning merited rewards or punishments) 2 : JUDGE 3 : the administration of law 4 : FAIRNESS; also : RIGHTEOUSNESS

Or mercy?

mer•cy \"m€r-sÈ\ n, pl mercies [ME, fr. OF merci, fr. ML merced-, merces, fr. L, price paid, wages, fr. merc-, merx merchandise] 1 : compassion shown to an offender; also : imprisonment rather than death for first-degree murder 2 : a blessing resulting from divine favor or compassion; also : a fortunate circumstance 3 : compassion shown to victims of misfortune — mer•ci•ful \-si-f€l\ adj — mer•ci•less \-si-l€s\ adj — mer•ci•less•ly adv — mercy adj

And what do you want to recieve??? Do you want justice or mercy???

-------------------------------

quote:
Where's the mercy to the next child this predator attacks?

This seems a little pessimistic to meeeeeee… How do you know there will even be a next child???
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is OUTRAGEOUS, yo! I can't believe yall saying this stuff...

I thought we was supposed to have mercy toward ALL people, even child molesters...

quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo Grequi:
I believe people like this deserved to be shot at sunrise. Sometimes I wish we would adopt some MiddleEastern ways of justice. This is as evil as it gets.

I thought we was supposed to have mercy toward ALL people, even the judges who have mercy on them...

quote:
This judge needs to be lynched!

Where is the mercy...???

Justice is mercy. There was no justice served because some bone-headed judge felt she could go outside of the justice system and form her own opinion. Where's the mercy to the next child this predator attacks?
Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaNZ
Community Member
Member # 4610

Hi Rose,

I understand where you're coming from. I agree that we are supposed to have an attitude of forgiveness but there's something inside some of us that you "get" when you become a parent. I think all the parents on this board would agree!
It's called "protective instinct" (or something along those lines!)

I can understand where these guys are coming from..... and all I can say is that I would feel very sorry for anybody who EVER tries to do anything like this to my girl. My protective instict will kick-in and all I can say is "Watch out"! When my girl was 2 we went into the botanical gardens with a friend of mine and her kids. My girl is very bright and a bit of a "natural drama queen" plus she is tall for her age and looked about 4. She was wandering around playing her typical "imagination" games. She spoke well for her age and was saying in a very dramatic way "Oh no, I've lost my Mummy.... Help, help.... where's my Mum!" etc. I was about 30 - 40 metres away being very entertained and enjoying her ususal antics when all of a sudden, behind a group of bushes, I saw a guy walking by. He heard her calling out these things and thinking she was genuinely lost, suddenly, slung down, looked around first, crept into the bushes and started towards her! Right in front of us! He hadn't seen me though, because I was near another group of bushes on a long seat. The "protection" thing kicked in and I jumped up, started towards my daughter and all I can say is this "I was gonna make him sorry if he dared touch my baby!" You should have seen his face when he saw me tearing towards him, and he took off like a wimp! Whether he thought she was 2 or 4, or even 10 this was WRONG.
As a parent our first role is to protect and provide for our children and this just naturally takes over in these situations.

I was almost abducted as a teen too and it freaked me out.

As christians we can forgive but justice still needs to be done (just as in the Word, we are still held accountable) and in my opinion, molesters, sexual offenders, rapists etc should NOT be released until they've done their time AND proven themselves to be trusted. Sadly, this is very rarely the case.

Bless ya!

Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is OUTRAGEOUS, yo! I can't believe yall saying this stuff...

I thought we was supposed to have mercy toward ALL people, even child molesters...

quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo Grequi:
I believe people like this deserved to be shot at sunrise. Sometimes I wish we would adopt some MiddleEastern ways of justice. This is as evil as it gets.

I thought we was supposed to have mercy toward ALL people, even the judges who have mercy on them...

quote:
This judge needs to be lynched!

Where is the mercy...???

Stacey
Community Member
Member # 5743

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Stacey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does height have anything to do with whether or not he should do jail time? Why should he get a chance? He didnt give his victim a chance.

Why do people continue to walk away when commiting crimes?

--------------------
God Bless,
Stacey Silva

WalkingTestimony.com - Great Christian apparel, shirts, hats, gifts and more! Fun, hip, and cool! Share your faith through your clothing.

Posts: 11 | From: Spring Hill TN | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe people like this deserved to be shot at sunrise. Sometimes I wish we would adopt some MiddleEastern ways of justice. This is as evil as it gets. I am praying for you and your family.
Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

quote:
I think letting this man go out and do this again is a very wrong. I am sure if the Judge that let him go had a child sexually assaulting by him after letting him go would see it different.

But the thing is the Judge is also putting not only her children at risk, (if she has any) but everyones. And that is WRONG!

This judge needs to be lynched! I'm sick and tired of these judicial jerks, who eat and live off the money we pay them, constantly give little thought to the safety of those paying for their livihoods. And to pull a decision like this? I'm getting very intolerant of a system which does nothing to promote the interests of society in general.

-

WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Carmela, you're stronger in the Lord than I. I probably would have "greased" this maggot. I have two daugthers myself and I'm very intolerant to similar issues. God bless your strength.
AnnaNZ
Community Member
Member # 4610

Carmela, I'm so sorry to read what happened to your little girl. How terrible.
As the mother of an 11-year-old daughter myself, I feel absoloutly sickened at what I read. I'm not sure how I would deal with it if this happened to my daughter, particularly if it had been going on for 2 years also. I hope I never find myself in this position.

I certainly hope justice is done FAIRLY in this case and I especially pray for total healing, physically, mentally & emotionally in every way for both your daughter and yourself.

God Bless

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 20 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think letting this man go out and do this again is a very wrong. I am sure if the Judge that let him go had a child sexually assaulting by him after letting him go would see it different.

But the thing is the Judge is also putting not only her children at risk, (if she has any) but everyones. And that is WRONG!

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the newspaper article on my daughter's abuser only my daughter is actually 10.

Highgate teenager cited for sex assault at daycare,
Suspect denies abusing other children
By LEON THOMPSON .\Iessenger Sla.fJWriter
ST. ALBANS CITY - A Highgate Center teenager has denied accusations that he had sex with a child that was under the supervision of his mother's day care center.
Ky ie J. Berthiaume, 16, of Fortin Road, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to two counts of felony sexual assault at Vermont District Court in St. Albans.
If convicted of both charges, he faces up to 40 years in prison and $20,000 in fines. Judge James Crucitti released Berthiaume on conditions, despite the state's request for no bail.
The state also asked that Berthiaume be held on $10,000 bail, but the jUdge said he posed no flight risk and instead released him into the custody of his parents, Paul and Carol.
Berthiaume, a student at Missisquoi Valley Union High Schooi (MVU), must abide by a 24-hour curfew - unless at school, work, or in his parents' presence - avoid his alleged victim, and stay away from females under 16. He has no prior criminal record.
The alleged victim, an U-year-old female, told investigators that Berthiaume sexUally assaulted her while she was at Carol Berthiaume's registered day care.
The girl, a New York State resident, stayed at the center numerous times .while Visiting her father in Vermont, police said.
~ See ASSAULT on page 5
-- --- -----
Assault
continued from page 1
The child first reported the abuse to her mother and said it had been happening since 2004. The victim told police in Vermont and New York that Berthiaume would take children from the day care into the woods for walks, and then take the victim out far, ther to abuse her.
The girl said Berthiaume also
assaulted her in his bedroom, bathroom, swinuning pool, and shed. Once, she said, he gave her $5 to "play house," because "no one else would play with him."
Berthiaume allegedly told the girl he had raped other children, and that it would be "good practice for when she gets older," according to court documents.
When Berthiaume learned through his aunt on Tuesday that police were looking for him at MVU, he disappeared from the school. investigators said.
During a subsequent interview with Det. Jim Claremont, of the Northwest Unit for Special Investigations, Berthiaume admitted to sexually assaulting
the girl but said he never molested other children, according to court records.
"(Berthiaume) advised he hadn't had a girlfriend for a while, he was lonely, and he wasn't thinking straight," Claremont wrote in his affidavit. "He agreed that it was a mistake he made."

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The boy that abused my daughter probably won't do jail time because he has never been in trouble with the police before, not even a speeding ticket. The only thing going for him as far as I'm concerned is that he is a minor also. However, I asked them to charge him as an adult and they did since he will be 17 next week. I'm not mad at the abuser any more though because the bible says my battle isn't with man. All I can do is leave it all in God's hands. My concern isn't with whether Kyle goes to jail but that he receives the help that he needs with the hopes that after being on tv and in the news paper and having to live with everyone he goes to school with finding out what happened will cause him such embarrassment that he doesn't do it again. He has already repented and admitted to such a hard thing to disclose to people. I asked the police officer in VT to put out a newspaper article since they had a daycare so others that have been in the home may speak if their child was abused but they even put it on tv and showed his house. I would like to see a soul saved because of this and a life changed. However, some believe that once an abuser always an abuser. I can only pray for Kyle that this will not be true and God will deliver him from being a future abuser.

However, it is sad that this guy got off like that. I saw on Dateline NBC a man that was headed to jail for child abuse in a day or so and yet he was caught trying to meet a child again just before going to jail and who knows how many others he may have gone to meet. I don't think it was right to keep this man on the streets.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaNZ
Community Member
Member # 4610

This is an absoloutly disgusting example of how perverted, twisted and sick the justice system is! It's not a lot better here in New Zealand!
What? The guy is too short to be "safe" in prison??? How safe was this child when this "disadvantaged" guy found the "strength" (short or not!) to overcome him/her and commit this offence? So I wonder what the judge is afraid of? Possibly that the other criminals might SEXUALLY ASSAULT him? Why? Is that a crime???? You wouldn't think so!
It appears then, that the criminals have more rights than the actual victims??
Unbelievable! Whatever happened to "You did the crime - YOU do the time!"

WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Judge: Man is too short for prison

Updated 5/25/2006 9:41 AM ET

SIDNEY, Neb. (AP) — A judge said a 5-foot-1 man convicted of sexually assaulting a child was too small to survive in prison, and gave him 10 years of probation instead.
His crimes deserved a long sentence, District Judge Kristine Cecava said, but she worried that Richard W. Thompson, 50, would be especially imperiled by prison dangers.

"You are a sex offender, and you did it to a child," she said.

But, she said, "That doesn't make you a hunter. You do not fit in that category."

Thompson will be electronically monitored the first four months of his probation, and he was told to never be alone with someone under age 18 or date or live with a woman whose children were under 18. Cecava also ordered Thompson to get rid of his pornography.

He faces 30 days of jail each year of his probation unless he follows its conditions closely.

"I want control of you until I know you have integrated change into your life," the judge told Thompson. "I truly hope that my bet on you being OK out in society is not misplaced."

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement