Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » U.N. to Rebuild Babylon!

Author Topic: U.N. to Rebuild Babylon!
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some info on Robert Muller and the UN in regards to Religious Agenda of the UN. This is an exerpt from Gary Kah's Book "The One World Religion"

This article is titled The New Religious Order

quote:
While the staging of massive "consciousness raising" events and the teaching of one-world ideals in our schools have all contributed toward building global unity, the level of unity necessary to establish a New World Order would ultimately require cooperation between the world's major religions. Religious leaders would somehow have to become tolerant of each other's beliefs, or, at the very least, refrain from denouncing one another's doctrines. Interfaithism - the concept that all religions are valid and are merely different pathways to God - would have to become the dominant view.

Ideally, from the standpoint of New Age planners, unity among religious leaders would eventually reach the point where all of the world's existing religions could be molded into one synthetic whole. However, for this to become possible, spiritual leaders would have to surrender some of their most cherished values and tightly held doctrines. Creating this atmosphere of tolerance and compromise has been Robert Muller's main pursuit.

As the UN's "Prophet of Hope" Muller believes that world unity cannot be achieved without a one-world government and a one-world religion. All of his efforts, be they in politics, education or religion, are therefore geared toward the realization of such an ecumenical world system. His religious goals - like most of his political activities - are in line with the occult mandates of Alice Bailey and Teilhard Chardin.

From further down in the article:

quote:
20th Century Ecumenism

New Era Magazine provides the clearest picture of Muller's intentions. In the November/December 1981 issue of that publication Muller is quoted as saying, "It is necessary that we have a World Government centered on the United Nations." In a follow up remark he revealed the spiritual basis for this future administration, stating that we can credit the coming World Government to the "influence of the writings of Teilhard de Chardin." While Chardin's impact on the UN and world affairs is now well documented, few individuals outside of Chardin's immediate sphere of influence were aware of the fact that he also helped inspire modern day ecumenism; nor do people realize that today's ecumenical movement is an integral part of the broader one world movement.

The seeds for 20th century ecumenism were sown in the late 1800s. During that time there was a growing interest in achieving unity for the alleged purpose of building an earthly utopia. Masonically-inspired organizations ranging from the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn to the Theosophical Society were busy laying the groundwork for the next century, which they hoped might finally usher in their long-awaited New World Order.

Against this backdrop, religious leaders from around the world gathered in Chicago for an ecumenical event of historic proportions - the 1893 Parliament of the World's Religions (also known as the Parliament of World Religions). The people who attended this international conference came from a variety of "faiths." Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Roman Catholics, Protestants, and a host of others prayed and dialogued together for seventeen days.18 (Even the Theosophical Society was represented by Annie Besant.)19 This was the largest interfaith leadership conference of its kind up to that time.

In the decades which followed, two separate world wars were fought - each adding to the one world movement's momentum. World War I resulted in the League of Nations and World War II led to the United Nations. Both were created in the name of world peace. These institutions would give the secret societies a focal point around which they could rally religious leaders. The public - worn down from years of war - was ready to accept a new approach to maintaining peace. Teilhard Chardin, Alice Bailey and other forerunners to Robert Muller would play key roles in presenting the United Nations as the only hope for peace between nations and unity among the world's religions.

Riding this crest of post war sentiment, global planners seized the moment - attempting to unite the Protestant denominations through one organization. Although the spirit of ecumenism had been alive for decades, the founding of the pro UN World Council of Churches in 1948 would mark the beginning of the modern ecumenical era....

Read the entire article here: http://www.garykah.org/article7.html

I believe that this shows us where the leaders of the "Religious" aspect of "Mystery Babylon" is found these days.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have absolutely No Doubt that the U.N. is completely taken over by "Mystery Babylon" as far as 'religion' is concerned. They practice "New Age" there, hold classes, seminars, etc. New Ageism is nothing more then Gnosticism revamped, which was another form of Mystery Babylon... there are many 'incarnations' of "MB" from what I can tell. I don't have the time to do the research right now, but look up info on Robert Muller's religious stuff regarding the U.N. I think Lucious Trust has an office there as well (Which Alice Bailey either founded or was at least a major leader of). This may not make sense without the links/research to back it up, but it is what it is... Now the want to Rebuild the City of Babylon.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hardcore:
1. When you enter New York harbor from the south, you are greeted by a water tower which reads "Welcome to Babylon".

Seriously??? I'd never heard that before.

--------------------

Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reality mystery Babylon is where, a large spiritual center is, that has not been truly defined yet. I often believe that the following cities could be the Mystery Babylone:

New York , New York

Sydney, Australia

Los Angeles de la California (Angels of Fire literally)

London, England

Te'hryan, Iran

Bagdad, iraq

Jerusalem, Isreal

Geneva, Switzerland

Roma, Italia

Manhatten, NY

Washington, D.C, USA

I know it is in the making to move the United Nations hub to Geneva.

Mystery Babylon- must be spiritually appealling, but evilly mastered.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteEagle:
I still believe that the 9-11 attack on the World Trade Center was a fulfillment of Revelation 18.

Babylon has Fallen, Fallen.

Twice this is repeated in the scripture. 2 fallens. We all witnessed the twin towers "Fall".

The Mystery Babylon and daughter of Babylon. It's the World Commerce Center. It was located in NYC.

1. When you enter New York harbor from the south, you are greeted by a water tower which reads "Welcome to Babylon".

2. The Daily Bread devotional on 9-11-01 was Ezekial Ch. 24-26.

Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

Thought you might find it interesting given your above thoughts.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trafield:
Rogg,
I here what you are saying.
I have oftened wondered if 'Mystery Babylon' is not really ancient Babylon at all. I mean, certainly the word "Mystery" could be a clue that it somewhere else with the spirit of ancient Babylonialism.
With the UN currently headquarted in New York, where the trading of the world does come through, and since the United States has now effectively taken over Iraq, it is not that far of a stretch to suggest that the United States, or more specifically New York City could be 'Mystery Babylon.'

I still believe that the 9-11 attack on the World Trade Center was a fulfillment of Revelation 18.

Babylon has Fallen, Fallen.

Twice this is repeated in the scripture. 2 fallens. We all witnessed the twin towers "Fall".

The Mystery Babylon and daughter of Babylon. It's the World Commerce Center. It was located in NYC.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.rapturealert.com/2006/051606lureofbabylon.html

The Lure of Babylon
by Michael G. Mickey

(5-16-06)

Genesis 11:1-9:

And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top [may reach] unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
And the LORD said, Behold, the people [is] one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Does the biblical account of what took place at the Tower of Babel stand the test of history? Did mankind once speak with one language as indicated in the Genesis passages? The content of a christianCOURIER article seems supportive of Scripture - and dramatically. The article states "language studies have led many scholars to the conclusion that the varied human tongues ultimately can be traced to a common source." Not only that, but the following excerpts from the article are particularly telling concerning the accuracy of the biblical account in that they reflect the opinions of historians from many time periods who've studied Babylonian history.

Abydenus (a Greek historian of the mid-fourth century B.C.), as quoted by Eusebius, spoke of a great tower at Babylon which was destroyed. The record notes:

“. . . until this time all men had used the same speech, but now there was sent upon them a confusion of many and divers tongues” (quoted by Rawlinson, p. 28).
Josephus, the Jewish historian, quoting from an ancient source, records these words:

“When all men were of one language, some of them built a tower, as if they would thereby ascend up to heaven, but the gods sent storms of wind and overthrew the tower, and gave every one his peculiar language; and for this reason it was that the city was called Babylon” (Antiquities 1.4.3).
Having established the legitimacy of Babylon and the Scriptural implications of what took place at the Tower of Babel, I want to draw my readers' attention once again, at the risk of becoming redundant, to the world's sudden interest in ancient Babylon. As seen in The Detroit News, the lure of Babylon is "a powerful draw" to the peoples of the world. The article states, in part (emphasis added mine):

Babylon, the mud-brick city with the million-dollar name, has paid the price of war. It has been ransacked, looted, torn up, paved over, neglected and roughly occupied. Archaeologists said American soldiers even used soil thick with priceless artifacts to stuff sandbags.

But Iraqi leaders and U.N. officials are not giving up. They are working assiduously to restore Babylon and turn it into a cultural center and possibly even an Iraqi theme park. No one is saying this is going to happen any time soon, but what makes the project even conceivable is that the area around Babylon is one of the safest in Iraq -- a beacon of civilization, once again, in a land of chaos.

Babylon was once a beacon of civilization, but it was also the birthplace of pagan religion. We learn a great deal about the spirituality of ancient Babylon through Scripture, which is particularly interesting in light of the world's current interest in restoring her to her former self:

Jeremiah 50:2: Declare ye among the nations, and publish, and set up a standard; publish, [and] conceal not: say, Babylon is taken, Bel is confounded, Merodach is broken in pieces; her idols are confounded, her images are broken in pieces.

Jeremiah 50:38: A drought [is] upon her waters; and they shall be dried up: for it [is] the land of graven images, and they are mad upon [their] idols.

When we consider what the Bible tells us is going to take place in the prophetic future, is it surprising that, at a time when the world is seeking to divide God's holy city of Jerusalem among Israel's enemies, one of the chief proponents of rebuilding an ancient city that saw mankind attempt to build a tower it could use to climb its way into heaven would be the United Nations, arguably a forerunner of the world government Antichrist will someday head in the Tribulation Period to come? I don't find it surprising at all. In fact, it seems to me everything is proceeding precisely as Scripture tells us it's going to.

The Detroit News article states UNESCO, the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, is "pumping millions into protecting and restoring Babylon," the birthplace of pagan religion. In the prophetic future, we're told a man, the Antichrist, will be worshipped as though he were God. Getting ancient Babylon back up on its wicked feet, if only slightly, will go a long way toward reviving a lot of the traditions associated with it, many of which will serve the Antichrist's demonic interests greatly in the prophetic future.

The end times drama continues....

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogg
Advanced Member
Member # 5394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rogg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another interesting thing is how many Jews lived in Babylon back then, and how many live in New York now.
Posts: 83 | From: St. Louis MO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mystery... now that is an interesting point Tracy!!

I stole much of this from wickapedia; I find it interesting. Then you can compare maps here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad
http://www.mesopotamia.co.uk/geography/explore/neoassyz.html

The Ishtar Gate of babylon is just 56 miles from Baghdad.

It is believed that Baghdad was the largest city in the world from 775 to 935.

It could be the first city with a population above 1,000,000. Within a generation of its founding, Baghdad became a hub of learning and commerce.

The city's population was between 300,000 and 500,000 in the 9th century. Baghdad's early meteoric growth slowed due to troubles within the Caliphate, including relocations of the capital to Samarra (during 808–819 and 836–892), the loss of the western and easternmost provinces, and periods of political domination by the Iranian Buwayhids (945–1055) and Seljuk Turks (1055–1135).

Nevertheless, the city remained one of the cultural and commercial hubs of the Islamic world until February 10, 1258, when it was sacked by the Mongols under Hulagu Khan.

The Mongols massacred 800,000 of the city's inhabitants, including the Abbasid Caliph Al-Musta'sim, and destroyed large sections of the city. The canals and dykes forming the city's irrigation system were also destroyed.

The sack of Baghdad put an end to the Abbasid Caliphate, a blow from which the Islamic civilization never fully recovered.

At this point Baghdad was ruled by the Il-Khanids, the Mongol emperors of Iran. In 1401, Baghdad was again sacked by the Mongols, led by Timur ("Tamerlane").

It became a provincial capital controlled by the Jalayirid (1400–1411), Qara Quyunlu (1411–1469), Aq Quyunlu (1469–1508), and Safavid (1508–1534) dynasties.

In 1534, Baghdad was conquered by the Ottoman Turks. Under the Ottomans, Baghdad fell into a period of decline, partially as a result of the enmity between its rulers and Persia.

For a time, Baghdad had been the largest city in the Middle East before being overtaken by Constantinople in the 16th century.

Baghdad remained under Ottoman rule until the establishment of the kingdom of Iraq under British control in 1921, followed by formal independence in 1932 and full independence in 1946.

The city's population grew from an estimated 145,000 in 1900 to 580,000 in 1950 of which 140,000 were Jewish.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trafield
Advanced Member
Member # 5358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trafield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rogg,
I here what you are saying.
I have oftened wondered if 'Mystery Babylon' is not really ancient Babylon at all. I mean, certainly the word "Mystery" could be a clue that it somewhere else with the spirit of ancient Babylonialism.
With the UN currently headquarted in New York, where the trading of the world does come through, and since the United States has now effectively taken over Iraq, it is not that far of a stretch to suggest that the United States, or more specifically New York City could be 'Mystery Babylon.'

Posts: 225 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

quote:
Originally posted by yahsway:
okay. My ? is this. Who is paying for this beast of an embassy? Is it our tax dollars or what? [mad2]

Yes, we're paying for it [mad2]

But it's NOT IN Babylon. I'm sure there is a connection (especially knowing how "Illuminated" our government is...), but it's the U.N. that's taking on the project of rebuilding Babylon the City.

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay. My ? is this. Who is paying for this beast of an embassy? Is it our tax dollars or what? [mad2]
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The billion dollar Baghdad embassy
By Leigh Saavedra
Online Journal Contributing Writer

Apr 20, 2006, 01:45

That's the estimate, though only half of it has been appropriated so far, a billion dollars to build a new embassy in Iraq. It will be the largest on the globe, the largest the world has ever seen, the size of Vatican City.

U.S. embassies typically cover 10 acres. This one, a 104-acre complex, will be comprised of 21 buildings, its own water wells, an electricity plant and wastewater treatment facility that makes the huge compound completely independent of Iraq, whose "interim government" sold the land to the U.S. in October 2004. Terms of the agreement do not appear to be readily accessible.

The massive compound will include two major diplomatic office buildings, homes for the ambassador and his deputy, apartment buildings for staff, and a recreational facility that will provide a swimming pool, gym, commissary, food court and American Club.

In this case, the devil is less in the details than in the monumental size and cost of the endeavor. The likeness to a small fortified city is frightening to those who object to a permanent presence of the U.S. in Iraq, already destroyed by American bombs and depleted uranium, and the core of such fear lies in the question of WHY the U.S., already dangerously in debt back home and dangerously despised in Iraq and most of the Middle East, is pounding its chest with such a noisy bravado. Is this the finale of "Shock and Awe"?

Those working in the embassy-city are protected by extraordinary security, overseen by U.S. Marines. Structures will be reinforced to 2.5 times the standard. There will be five high-security entrances as well as an emergency entrance/exit, according to a U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee report.

Published on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 by the London Times / UK
In the Chaos of Iraq, One Project is on Target: a Giant US Embassy
by Daniel McGrory
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0503-05.htm

The question puzzles and enrages a city: how is it that the Americans cannot keep the electricity running in Baghdad for more than a couple of hours a day, yet still manage to build themselves the biggest embassy on Earth?

Irritation grows as residents deprived of air-conditioning and running water three years after the US-led invasion watch the massive US Embassy they call “George W’s palace” rising from the banks of the Tigris.

Building work at the 104-acre complex, known locally as 'George W's palace', is supposed to be secret, but it is impossible to disguise the cranes dominating the Baghdad skyline

In the pavement cafés, people moan that the structure is bigger than anything Saddam Hussein built. They are not impressed by the architects’ claims that the diplomatic outpost will be visible from space and cover an area that is larger than the Vatican city and big enough to accommodate four Millennium Domes. They are more interested in knowing whether the US State Department paid for the prime real estate or simply took it.

While families in the capital suffer electricity cuts, queue all day to fuel their cars and wait for water pipes to be connected, the US mission due to open in June next year will have its own power and water plants to cater for a population the size of a small town.

Officially, the design of the compound is supposed to be a secret, but you cannot hide the giant construction cranes and the concrete contours of the 21 buildings that are taking shape. Looming over the skyline, the embassy has the distinction of being the only big US building project in Iraq that is on time and within budget.

In a week when Washington revealed a startling list of missed deadlines and overspending on building projects, Congress was told that the bill for the embassy was $592 million (£312 million).

The heavily guarded 42-hectare (104-acre) site — which will have a 15ft thick perimeter wall — has hundreds of workers swarming on scaffolding. Local residents are bitter that the Kuwaiti contractor has employed only foreign staff and is busing them in from a temporary camp nearby.

After roughing it in Saddam’s abandoned palaces, diplomats should have every comfort in their new home. There will be impressive residences for the Ambassador and his deputy, six apartments for senior officials, and two huge office blocks for 8,000 staff to work in. There will be what is rumoured to be the biggest swimming pool in Iraq, a state-of-the-art gymnasium, a cinema, restaurants offering delicacies from favourite US food chains, tennis courts and a swish American Club for evening functions.

The security measures being installed are described as extraordinary. US officials are preparing for the day when the so-called green zone, the fortified and sealed-off compound where international diplomats and Iraq’s leaders live and work, is reopened to the rest of the city’s residents, and American diplomats can retreat to their own secure area.

Iraqi politicians opposed to the US presence protest that the scale of the project suggests that America retains long-term ambitions here. The International Crisis Group, a think-tank, said the embassy’s size “is seen by Iraqis as an indication of who actually exercises power in their country”.

A State Department official said that the size reflected the “massive amount of work still facing the US and our commitment to see it through”.

BEHIND SCHEDULE

A US Inspector General’s report into reconstruction found that although $22 billion had been spent, water, sewage and electricity, infrastructure still operated at prewar levels

Despite “significant progress” in recent months, less than half the water and electricity projects have been completed

Only six of the 150 planned health centres have been completed

US officials spent $70 million on medical equipment for health clinics that are unlikely ever to be built. More than 75 per cent of the funds for the 150 planned clinics have been allocated

Task Force Shield, the $147 million programme to train Iraqi security units to protect key oil and electrical sites failed to meet its goals. A fraud investigation is under way

Oil production was 2.18 million barrels per day in the last week of March. Before the war it was 2.6 million
Copyright 2006 Times Newspapers Ltd.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

quote:
The U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization is pumping millions of dollars into protecting and restoring Babylon and a handful of other ancient ruins in Iraq. UNESCO has even printed up a snazzy brochure, with Babylon listed as the premier destination, to hand out to wealthy donors.
No Rogg, the USA isn't rebuilding Babylon... the Word and the Powers That Be are. Some of those who make up the Powers That Be (Satan's Elite) are in control of Many of the worlds governments (including the USA for quite a few decades now). They are Most Definitely in control of the U.N.

--------------------

Rogg
Advanced Member
Member # 5394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rogg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just have a tough time seeing Iraq as this:

Revelation 17:18
18.And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

But we, the US of A are the ones rebuilding it, not the original people of the region.

Does that prophetically say anything?

Rog

Posts: 83 | From: St. Louis MO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Yep Sis K, I kinda thought this might catch your eye [Wink]

--------------------

Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deb, this is hugh news!

I have been waiting to hear the UN moving to Iraq...BABYLON to be exact. [happyhappy]

Babylon will be the trade canter of the world, and the AC will headquater there for awhile, before going to Jerusalem.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And with all that depleted uranium there too. I thank Christ Jesus, the Lord from heaven that I cannot understand; but I know what it is called {Rev 17:5}.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 2 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this posted on the Eastwood Board this morning:

Lure of Babylon is powerful draw

Iraq, U.N. undertake project to restore city, transform it into center for cultural tourism.

Jeffrey Gettleman / New York Times

BABYLON, Iraq -- In this ancient city, it is hard to tell what are ruins and what is just ruined.

Crumbling brick buildings, some 2,500 years old, look like smashed sand castles at the beach. Famous sites, like the Tower of Babel and the Hanging Gardens, are swallowed up by river reeds. Signs of military occupation are everywhere, including trenches, bullet casings, shiny coils of razor wire and blast walls stamped, "This side Scud protection."

Babylon, the mud-brick city with the million-dollar name, has paid the price of war. It has been ransacked, looted, torn up, paved over, neglected and roughly occupied. Archaeologists said American soldiers even used soil thick with priceless artifacts to stuff sandbags.

But Iraqi leaders and U.N. officials are not giving up. They are working assiduously to restore Babylon and turn it into a cultural center and possibly even an Iraqi theme park. No one is saying this is going to happen any time soon, but what makes the project even conceivable is that the area around Babylon is one of the safest in Iraq -- a beacon of civilization, once again, in a land of chaos.

Ancient Babylon, celebrated as a fount of law, writing and urban living, sits just outside the modern-day city of Hilla, about 60 miles south of Baghdad.

Hilla is neither haunted by Sunni insurgents nor overwhelmed by Shiite militias, and though it has a mix of Shiites and Sunnis, it has not been afflicted by the sectarian violence that has paralyzed so many other parts of Iraq. Factories are churning, Iraqi security forces are patrolling and the streets pulsate with life -- children bounding to school, crowds wading into markets, taxis gliding by.

Emad Lafta al-Bayati, Hilla's mayor, has big plans for Babylon. "I want restaurants, gift shops, long parking lots," he said. God willing, he added, maybe even a Holiday Inn.

The U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization is pumping millions of dollars into protecting and restoring Babylon and a handful of other ancient ruins in Iraq. UNESCO has even printed up a snazzy brochure, with Babylon listed as the premier destination, to hand out to wealthy donors.

"Cultural tourism could become Iraq's second-biggest industry, after oil," said Philippe Delanghe, a U.N. official helping with the project. But before Iraq becomes the next Egypt, he said wryly, "a few little things have to happen."

One of those, of course, is better security. The American military still maintains bases near Babylon, but next month, in a sign of how relatively stable the area has become, most troops will pull out and head north to Baghdad, where they are needed more.

Many Iraqis said it was about time. Occupying forces have been blamed for much of Babylon's recent demise.

Donny George, head of Iraq's board of antiquities, said Polish troops dug trenches through an ancient temple and American contractors paved over ruins to make a helicopter landing pad.

"How are we supposed to get rid of the helipad now?" George asked. "With jackhammers? Can you imagine taking a jackhammer to the remains of one of the most important cities in the history of mankind? I mean, come on, this is Babylon."

Babylon. Its name has had a magical ring since Hammurabi, the Babylonian king who ruled from 1792 to 1750 B.C. and is credited with handing down one of the first sets of codified law.

After Hammurabi, the city flourished again under King Nebuchadnezzar II, who ruled from around 605 to 562 B.C. and is best known for the hanging gardens he supposedly built for his wife.

http://www.raidersnewsupdate.com/lead-story293.htm

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement