Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Jesus walked on ice

Author Topic: Jesus walked on ice
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
those were some great anwers. I think the Holy Spirit was being listened to here. [thumbsup2]

"there is a balm in Gilead, to heal the sin-sick soul." "there is a balm in Gilead, to make the wounded whole" "there is a balm in Gilead, to make the sin-sick whole."

Gilead belonged to Israel after the conquest of Israel of the Hamite Canaanite land which the Hamite Palestinians (translate from the Hamite Philistines).

Better get used to, what God is doing"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrazilianMommy:
Okay, this one made me laugh.

What were those guys doing crossing the ice lake in a boat to begin with?

LOL! Actually a good point!
Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrazilianMommy
Advanced Member
Member # 4787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrazilianMommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, this one made me laugh.

What were those guys doing crossing the ice lake in a boat to begin with?

--------------------
Jesus loves you

Posts: 83 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saved1948
Advanced Member
Member # 5391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saved1948     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of these false concepts(including the false theory on Judas) are coming out before Easter.<><

--------------------
John 3:16+6\[/p..................For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,that whoever believed in Him should not perish but have everlasting life

Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SrvnHim
Advanced Member
Member # 5439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SrvnHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that explains it! [Wink]
LOL!

Posts: 66 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reflectingtheson
Advanced Member
Member # 5083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflectingtheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter stepped out onto the ice at first but probably not being use to walking on ice he slipped off. [cool_shades]
It's really elementary you know. [Wink]

Posts: 43 | From: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SrvnHim
Advanced Member
Member # 5439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SrvnHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just have one question...
If Jesus "walked on ice", where was that piece of ice when Peter needed it? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 66 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by reflectingtheson:

How you made it with TWO daughters I'll never know.

As Teddy Roosevelt used to say, "Walk softly and carry a big stick"! hahaha
Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reflectingtheson
Advanced Member
Member # 5083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflectingtheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Eric for kind words and prayer.
How you made it with TWO daughters I'll never know.

Thanks Again
Rick

Posts: 43 | From: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

quote:
It is because they are "educated" in these godless universities is why they can't see.
I live with this daily from my daughter. She was raised with a belief in God, His greatness and attended youth group weekly for years. After four years at The state college in LouiSiana(U). She informed her mother and I of our lack of understanding cause we did not go to college and she was now "enlightened" so how can we discount all the other religions of the world and say ours is the Only Way.
You can only guess how heavy my heart is with this.

Rick

As the father of two daugthers, I can identify with your heavy heart. I just prayed for your situation. I'm not intending to brag, but I have earned two degrees and have worked with a bevy of people from Harvard, Yale and all types of the so-called educated over the last 20 years or so. And I can assure you and her that some of the most ignorant and idiotic people I've meet are "educated". Going to college, especially these days, does not mean anything other than one has the money to pay for it and the ability to sweat it out. What one does with that "commitment" later is all that matters.

I learned long ago that anything that's worthwhile was learned on my own or afforded to me by God. You can not measure a person's worth or value by the amount of education one possesses.

"Our way" is not the way--a lesson I pray she learns quickly. In fact, our way is not our way, but is our Lord's way. And our Lord's way is the only way.

The Scriptures are full of scientific truths--many of which were recently just now discovered by man--but yet these truths are denied or ignored by many. Even Dr. Stephen Hawkin, one of the world's most famous and respected physicist recognizes the hand of God in the universe.

Man is not so special. Heck, over the last thousands of years, we've either been walking or riding a horse to get anywhere. Only over the last 100 years have we had a technical explosion, of sorts--now we "think" were so learned and enlightened. Because of our technological leaps, many feel we don't need God because we marvel at the intellect of Man. But those are foolish thoughts as it was the Lord who permitted these things to happen and provided Man the intellect to get it done.

I can assure you a college education is not a measure of intelligence or "enlightenment". Some of most educated people I've ever met never went to college (I've traveled all over the US), most grounded strongly in the Word of God.

I'm sure this only a phase your daughter is going through and she'll understand this as she matures. Being proud and a lack of humility is a weakness we all possess and why we need the protection of the blood of Christ to make us presentable to God. I'll pray she'll soon discover this as I can tell you and your wife have much wisdom in this regard.

Eric

Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For ice to form on the sea of Galilee, the surrounding tempatures must be at least 20 degrees for a fresh water lake to freeze over 60 day period.

Where I come from- Lake St. Claire is about the same size of the Sea of Galilee. The have made many studies about freezing of lakes. Roughly speaking both lakes are 5o miles x 45 miles long and the mean depth is 30 feet.

Fresh water freezes quicker than salt water. However the Sea of Galilea is a closed Lake except for the Jordan that drains it. Lake St. Claire units Lake Huron on the north to Lake Erie to the south.

The Gospels say Jesus walked on water, means the tempature on average had to be above 20 degrees more likely at 40. Jesus is God in flesh, he also calmed the raging storm on the sea.

Jesus is light and his mere presence makes things bright. If Jesus wanted to, he could walk across the Meditrenean Sea. Now that would be a walk. People in teaching places do not want to recognize their sinful lives and the need for a Saviour, which is Jesus the Christ.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reflectingtheson
Advanced Member
Member # 5083

It is because they are "educated" in these godless universities is why they can't see.
I live with this daily from my daughter. She was raised with a belief in God, His greatness and attended youth group weekly for years. After four years at The state college in LouiSiana(U). She informed her mother and I of our lack of understanding cause we did not go to college and she was now "enlightened" so how can we discount all the other religions of the world and say ours is the Only Way.
You can only guess how heavy my heart is with this.

Rick

WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

What silliness...sheesh. If Jesus made all things, like the earth and the universe, then walking on water would be no big deal for Him. How can the so-called educated not see this?
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

And neither is the Nuweiba crossing just 2 feet deep; I can't remember how deep it is, but it's a lot deeper than that, more like 100+ feet; but what IS interesting about the Nuweiba site is that by Nuweiba is a saddle under water, while north and south of the saddle is a deep drop-off.

And while it is true that Paul says that Sinai was in Arabia, in Paul's day the Sinai peninsula and the so-called Syrian province was part of Arabia Petrea.

Additionally, another huge problem is that once Israel was on the east side of the eastern arm of the Red Sea in Arabia, then they were in Midianite territory, and since Jebel el Lawz is the main mountain there, the el Lawz site is much more likely to be an Abraham-Keturah Midianite site.

It would seem extremely unlikely that the Midianites would just hand over their "sacred" mountain to the Jacob-Israelites for their use.

Nevertheless, the apparent find of 6-spoked gold-plated chariot wheels by Nuweiba beach, with a Solomonic pillar on the Nuweiba and Arabian side, is still pretty amazing.

What I have wondered is why the Nuweiba site, if true, is not being better protected since scuba divers frequent the Nuweiba beach also.

God bless, BORN AGAIN

reflectingtheson
Advanced Member
Member # 5083

Icon 20 posted      Profile for reflectingtheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Born Again, You make good points and although the evidence, if true as you say, is overwelming. He did go over some very old maps of the reqion and found some of these names.

Regardless of the true nature of this find or not, I do believe it happened and not at some place in 2 feet of water at low tide as I have heard it explained away.

It is just like the flood at Noah's time. Not many people stand on that truth either. I believe that a lot of "christains" don't really understand that power of God. Just what does "GOD ALMIGHTY" really mean?

[Wink]

rick

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

hello, reflectingtheson, yes, I'm aware of Ron Wyatt's findings by the Nuweiba crossing in the eastern arm of the Red Sea.

There is no question but that those findings are amazing, if real; however, there are some difficulties with looking for the Red Sea crossing on the eastern arm of the Red Sea.

One important difficulty is that the wilderness of Shur is almost certainly directly before Egypt in the isthmus of land between the western arm of the Red Sea and Pelusium on the Med Sea.

Hagar was an Egyptian and when Hagar fled from Sarah, her natural inclination was to return to Egypt, which was a well-worn route south from Hebron and/or Beersheba where Isaac's camp was at that time.

The angel found her at the well Lahairoi:

Genesis 16:7
And the angel of the LORD found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur.

In this next one, Shur is near Gerar:

Genesis 20:1
And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country, and dwelled between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar.

In this next one, Shur is "before Egypt":

Genesis 25:18
And they dwelt from Havilah unto Shur that is before Egypt, as you go toward Assyria: and he died in the presence of all his brethren.

1 Samuel 15:7
And Saul smote the Amalekites from Havilah until you come to Shur that is over against Egypt.

Now, if Israel went through the eastern arm of the Red Sea, then they would have ended up in Arabia opposite Nuweiba, and then Moses took them 3 days away from shore and into the wilderness of Shur:

Exodus 15:22
So Moses brought Israel from the Red sea, and they went out into the wilderness of Shur; and they went three days in the wilderness, and found no water.

If Shur was "before Egypt" or "over against Egypt", then there would be no way that the wilderness of Shur could have been in Arabia opposite Nuweiba.

Ron Wyatt glosses over this difficulty by making the entire region around the middlenorth section of the eastern arm of the Reds Sea into the wilderness of Shur, both on the east Sinai peninsula side and on the Arabian side.

But one would be hard put to place Shur there, since Hagar would have tried to return to Egypt and the angel found her at the well Lahairoi, which was on the way to Shur.

The well Lahairoi is of course the well where also Isaac sojourned:

Genesis 24:62
And Isaac came from the way of the well Lahairoi; for he dwelt in [b]the south country[b].

Also, in this last verse, the "south" is always the Negeb desert in the OT, so again, Isaac was not in Arabia but in the Negeb by the well Lahairoi.

All of this makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to place Shur around the eastern arm of the Red Sea as would be required if Israel crossed from Nuweiba into Arabia.

God bless, BORN AGAIN

reflectingtheson
Advanced Member
Member # 5083

Speaking of the Red Sea crossing , Has anyone seen the video or still pics of the man who discovered the chariot wheels and parts on the sea floor at the site he believes is the crossing area? So enlightening.
One source to see a preview is here
http://www.prophecyinthenews.com/
I all ways figured some one would find this with knowledge increasing. To bad the proud will never give into their higher education, which is a contridiction in terms since most seem to become less educated.
Rick

Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember once when an atheist explained the Red Sea crossing away, saying that the water was only 2 feet deep and that the particular wind pattern at that time caused the very shallow water to be parted.

"That's amazing!" I said.

"What?" he asked.

"That Pharaoh's army was destroyed by so little water!" [Big Grin]

Aaron

Rogg
Advanced Member
Member # 5394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rogg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is truely amazing how atheists and evolutionary scientists spend millions of dollars and so much of their lives trying to disprove the existence of God. They want so badly to find a missing link or to discover life on another planet. When it is so obvious to any thinking person that all of this did not happen by chance.
They provide documentaries and theories to the people and show themselves with authority, trying to convince others that there is no God. They have convinced themselves away from the truth, and shed darkness over the reality of light.
Even some so called Christians warp the truth and corrupt it to suit their imaginations, so they can continue in their sin.

The fact that we exist and the fact the universe exists before us is proof enough to be judged before Christ on that great and terrible day.

Posts: 83 | From: St. Louis MO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) -- The New Testament says that Jesus walked on water, but a Florida university professor believes there could be a less miraculous explanation -- he walked on a floating piece of ice.

Professor Doron Nof also theorized in the early 1990s that Moses's parting of the Red Sea had solid science behind it.

Nof, a professor of oceanography at Florida State University, said on Tuesday that his study found an unusual combination of water and atmospheric conditions in what is now northern Israel could have led to ice formation on the Sea of Galilee.

Nof used records of the Mediterranean Sea's surface temperatures and statistical models to examine the dynamics of the Sea of Galilee, which Israelis know now as Lake Kinneret.

The study found that a period of cooler temperatures in the area between 1,500 and 2,600 years ago could have included the decades in which Jesus lived.

A drop in temperature below freezing could have caused ice -- thick enough to support a human -- to form on the surface of the freshwater lake near the western shore, Nof said. It might have been nearly impossible for distant observers to see a piece of floating ice surrounded by water.

Nof said he offered his study -- published in the April edition of the Journal of Paleolimnology -- as a "possible explanation" for Jesus' walk on water.

"If you ask me if I believe someone walked on water, no, I don't," Nof said. "Maybe somebody walked on the ice, I don't know. I believe that something natural was there that explains it."

"We leave to others the question of whether or not our research explains the biblical account."

When he offered his theory 14 years ago that wind and sea conditions could explain the parting of the Red Sea, Nof said he received some hate mail, even though he noted that the idea could support the biblical description of the event.

And as his theory of Jesus' walk on ice began to circulate, he had more hate mail in his e-mail inbox.

"They asked me if I'm going to try next to explain the resurrection," he said.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement