Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Catholic-Buddhist dialogue continues

Author Topic: Catholic-Buddhist dialogue continues
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stole this off another board; in the light of the Warren P.E.A.C.E plan and his prophesied 2nd reformation which will be about deeds and not creeds and will bring the church that was split and divided by the first reformation back together again, I thought it relevant and important to see and know what the Roman part of the "church" that warren speaks of is up to!

Also see the thread in this forum on the call of the Pope to cooperation between Jews Christians and Islam.

Wake up folks the end is nearer than you think!!!Will Jesus find faith on earth when he returns? Surely, he will but faith in what remains the question.

Catholic-Buddhist dialogue continues

Washington DC, Feb. 20, 2006 (CNA) - Buddhists and Christians learned more about their most basic, if contrasting, convictions and agreed to develop more collaborative social justice projects at their fourth dialogue last month.

The Jan. 26-29 meeting between Catholics and Zen and Ch’an Buddhists was held at Mercy Center, Burlingame, CA, on the theme, “Meeting on the Path.” It was co-chaired by Bishop John Wester, auxiliary bishop of San Francisco, and Rev. Alan Senauke of the Berkeley Zen Center.

Participants examined in depth the nature of the human person. Dr. Martin Verhoeven presented a paper on the essential Buddhist teaching of non-self, explaining that the belief in a permanent “self” is the root of the bondage of sentient beings to the cycle of rebirth.

Mary Ann Donovan of the Jesuit School of Theology in Berkeley illustrated the emergence of a distinctly Christian “anthropology” by discussing the life and thought of St. Paul, St. Antony of Egypt and his biographer, St. Athanasius of Alexandria, and St. Augustine of Hippo. Donovan illustrated how the revelation of Jesus Christ reshaped Hellenistic philosophical categories. Participants took note of the continuities between Jewish and Christian views of the person as a unitary whole.

Fr. Francis Tiso of the U.S. bishops’ Secretariat for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs pointed out the need to recover an understanding of the impact of Hellenism on the Judaism of New Testament times.

Fr. Robert Hale presented the anonymous author of the Cloud of Unknowing, and other works of late 14th-century English mysticism, as representing a model spiritual director and spiritual disciple.

Participants also discussed Buddhist-Catholic collaboration in social outreach projects. Lorraine Moriarty and Alan Senauke spoke about a prison ministry program in the Bay Area in which Catholics and Buddhists are collaborating. Such ministry includes prison visitation, meditation groups, and assistance to the families of prisoners, and raises awareness about the death penalty.

Participants called for more collaborative efforts in the areas of immigration, the death penalty and peace making. Buddhist participants requested copies of recent Catholic documents on these topics. Participants were also invited to offer new models for this dialogue, bringing in more emphasis on shared contemplative practice.

A steering committee will continue the work of this dialogue and meet in early May to confirm plans for the next meeting, scheduled for Jan. 25-28, 2007.

I prefer to stick with what the Bible has to say regarding being unequally yoked...

I think I would rather heed what the Bible says concerning being in league with apostate and false religions...

Quote:
2 Corinthians 6:13-15 (New King James Version)
New King James Version (NKJV)
Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

13 Now in return for the same (I speak as to children), you also be open.
14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?

Psalm 4:2
How long, O you sons of men,Will you turn my glory to shame? How long will you love worthlessness And seek falsehood? Selah

Proverbs 14:5
A faithful witness does not lie, But a false witness will utter lies.

Proverbs 19:5
A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who speaks lies will not escape.

Proverbs 19:9
A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who speaks lies shall perish.

Isaiah 59:13
In transgressing and lying against the LORD, And departing from our God, Speaking oppression and revolt, Conceiving and uttering from the heart words of falsehood.

Jeremiah 6:13
Because from the least of them even to the greatest of them, Everyone is given to covetousness; And from the prophet even to the priest, Everyone deals falsely.

Jeremiah 23:32
"Behold, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” says the LORD, “and tell them, and cause My people to err by their lies and by their recklessness. Yet I did not send them or command them; therefore they shall not profit this people at all,” says the LORD.

Zechariah 10:2
For the idols speak delusion; The diviners envision lies, And tell false dreams; They comfort in vain. Therefore the people wend their way like sheep; They are in trouble because there is no shepherd.

Matthew 7:15
[You Will Know Them by Their Fruits] “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.

Matthew 24:11
Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.

2 Corinthians 11:13
For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ.

Galatians 2:4
And this occurred because of false brethren secretly brought in (who came in by stealth to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage),

Colossians 2:23
These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

1 Timothy 6:20
[Guard the Faith] O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge —

2 Peter 2:1
[Destructive Doctrines] But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.

2 Peter 2:4
[Doom of False Teachers] For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;

2 Peter 2:12
[Depravity of False Teachers] But these, like natural brute beasts made to be caught and destroyed, speak evil of the things they do not understand, and will utterly perish in their own corruption,

2 Peter 2:18
[Deceptions of False Teachers] For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error.

1 John 4:1
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

1 John 5:18
[Knowing the True — Rejecting the False] We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

YEP, I WILL FOLLOW GOD!!!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement