Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Pope Urges Cooperation Among Christians, Jews, Muslims

Author Topic: Pope Urges Cooperation Among Christians, Jews, Muslims
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha ha ha , I didnt have to go far! I posted the link about 6 posts up. This was at a conference and here is warren's own words from the transcript:

quote:
MR. WARREN: Yeah, I've talked to Alan about this, several times in fact.

You know, 500 years ago, the first Reformation with Luther and then Calvin, was about beliefs. I think a new reformation is going to be about behavior. The first Reformation was about creeds; I think this one will be about deeds. I think the first one was about what the church believes; I think this one will be about what the church does.

The first Reformation actually split Christianity into dozens and then hundreds of different segments. I think this one is actually going to bring them together. Now, you're never going to get Christians, of all their stripes and varieties, to agree on all of the different doctrinal disputes and things like that, but what I am seeing them agree on are the purposes of the church. And I find great uniformity in the fact that I see this happening all the time. Last week I spoke to 4,000 pastors at my church who came from over 100 denominations in over 50 countries. Now, that's wide spread. We had Catholic priests, we had Pentecostal ministers, we had Lutheran bishops, we had Anglican bishops, we had Baptist preachers. They're all there together and you know what? I'd never get them to agree on communion or baptism or a bunch of stuff like that, but I could get them to agree on what the church should be doing in the world.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Joyce: Is this what you are asking me about? This below is a paraphrase (mine) of Warren's own words:

quote:
I was reading where Warren says that there is coming a second reformation. The first reformation was about creeds, it split the church apart Catholicism/Protestantism and all the denominations. The 2nd reformation is going to be about deeds and he prophesies that it will bring us together again.

Off the top of my head I dont remember if it was from an interview transcript or at the presidential breakfast.. there are two events that stick in my mind where this was said as I recall at one of them.. Let me get you the source so that you can have his own words. I had posted that information here in another thread, but let me see if I can find it.

If this was not what you were asking me about then let me know what it was, but this was the only thing I could find where I had said "warren said".

Let me go look for that source. [hug]

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Linda,

Was this Rick Warren saying this or the other man?
There is a fellow named Walter Rauschenbusch, who is the man who came up with the term "social gospel." Rauschenbusch was a liberal theologian and he basically said we don't need this stuff about Jesus anymore; we don't need the cross; we don't need salvation; we don't need atonement; we just need to redeem the social structures of society and if we do that people will automatically get better. This is basically Marxism in a Christian form.

How terrible this is!!!!!!!!!!

That article is awful but eye opening.

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrazilianMommy
Advanced Member
Member # 4787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrazilianMommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soo wrong!

--------------------
Jesus loves you

Posts: 83 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pope is in good company.

Our "christian" President has been saying the same thing over and over again.

With such GREAT(NOT)leaders no wonder The Body of Christ is in the shapes it's in.

And BA thinks that God was warning ONLY the first century church of false teachers.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If all three of these religions are monotheist, then they wouldn't be killing one another within their own sanctuary.

Is catholicism truly monotheistic, or is the tradition another god?

I personaly do not worship the god of Islam. For their god is a god of hatred of those who differ and would kill an infidel who doesn't cosign to their beliefs. Sameway within the catholic church. They do not recognize Christians of different denominations, those other Christians are consider infidels just like islamics and Jews.

The falling out of purity within the bride of Christ, is occuring at rapid speed to the point the only purity left would be a reminant.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Yes, Protestantism (in all its denomination) and Catholicism. He said we will never come together on all of our creeds, but one thing he finds consensus about it the purpose of the church. Let me dig up the link. I thought you woud find it interesting. That is quite a prophesy would you not say?

Here is the transcript: http://pewforum.org/events/index.php?EventID=80

Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:

I was reading where Warren says that there is coming a second reformation.

You mean "Rick Warren", right? And I assume by "us" he means the Catholic Church and Non-Catholic Church. What a delusioned, earthly, prophesy...great political gain at the expense of making the Bride a w(h)ore . [Mad]

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Yes, Aaron the cost is high. I also have a friend in the Roman Church who knows as well that something is wrong. I believe that she is born again. She stays because she believes if she leaves she leaves her ability to minister Christ there. While her love is admirable, I know leaving any church is one of the most difficult of decisions if you are sincere in your faith and believe that God put you there in the first place. But sometimes I fear we try to do God's work our way and miss what God is doing. I believe God is calling his children out of Rome.

I was reading where Warren says that there is coming a second reformation. The first reformation was about creeds, it split the church apart Catholicism/Protestantism and all the denominations. The 2nd reformation is going to be about deeds and he prophesies that it will bring us together again.

Kind of ironic huh?

Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WKUHilltopper:
quote:
"It follows, therefore, that all three monotheistic religions are called to cooperate with one another for the common good of humanity..."
Well, the Koran requires them not to have anything to do christians or Jews. So this is pretty laughable. Our command is to love and pray for our enemies.
To be more accurate: muslims may associate with the Christians and Jews who abide by Islamic law and traditions.

I have some Catholic friends. They know something is wrong with the Catholic institution but they are hesitant to leave. The cost is very high: friends, family, and maybe jobs. Yet, time for a decision is growing short, I fear, as the anti-Christ has his way with the pontiff.

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"It follows, therefore, that all three monotheistic religions are called to cooperate with one another for the common good of humanity..."
Well, the Koran requires them not to have anything to do christians or Jews. So this is pretty laughable. Our command is to love and pray for our enemies.
Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Bump
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=86108

ZENIT - The World Seen From Rome
Code: ZE06031602
Date: 2006-03-16

Pope Urges Cooperation Among Christians, Jews, Muslims
Meets Members of American Jewish Committee

VATICAN CITY, MARCH 16, 2006 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI appealed for cooperation among believers of the three main monotheist religions, when he met with members of the American Jewish Committee.

"Judaism, Christianity and Islam believe in the one God, Creator of heaven and earth," the Pope told his guests at an audience in the Vatican today.

"It follows, therefore, that all three monotheistic religions are called to cooperate with one another for the common good of humanity, serving the cause of justice and peace in the world," he added in his address delivered in English.

"This is especially important today when particular attention must be given to teaching respect for God, for religions and their symbols, and for holy sites and places of worship," the Holy Father said.

"Religious leaders have a responsibility to work for reconciliation through genuine dialogue and acts of human solidarity," he added.

In his intervention, Benedict XVI recalled the recent celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Second Vatican Council's declaration "Nostra Aetate," a document that marked a positive turn in relations between Jews and Catholics.

Common patrimony

This celebration, the Pontiff said, "has increased our shared desire to know each other better and to develop a dialogue characterized by mutual respect and love."

"Indeed, Jews and Christians have a rich common patrimony," he added. "In many ways this distinguishes our relationship as unique among the religions of the world. The Church can never forget that Chosen People with whom God entered into a holy covenant."

Benedict XVI concluded by hoping that the visit of the Jewish representatives to Rome "may confirm you in your endeavors to build bridges of understanding across all barriers."

The American Jewish Committee was a great promoter of relations between Jews and Catholics during the pontificate of Pope John Paul II and have been as well at the start of Benedict XVI's pontificate. Its representatives often visited John Paul II in Rome.

Last Aug. 19, representatives of the group expressed satisfaction with Benedict XVI's visit that day to a synagogue in Germany that had been destroyed by the Nazis in 1938.

Among the American Jewish Committee's aims, according to its Web site, is "to strengthen the basic principles of pluralism around the world, as the best defense against anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry."

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement