Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Putin and Blair hail 'new level' of Russia-EU ties

Author Topic: Putin and Blair hail 'new level' of Russia-EU ties
RaptureRH
Advanced Member
Member # 5120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaptureRH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point -

I had forgotten about the feet of a bear....likewise "the mouth of a lion" - the lion being a traditional symbol for the British?

The Beast from the Sea: Rev 13:1-2

Then *I stood on the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast rising up out of the sea, having *seven heads and ten horns, and on his horns ten crowns, and on his heads a blasphemous name. 2 Now the beast which I saw was like a leopard, his feet were like the feet of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion.

Posts: 163 | From: Houston TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitesands777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The vision of the beast John saw in Revelation did have the feet of a bear....

This is interesting!

Posts: 501 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaptureRH
Advanced Member
Member # 5120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaptureRH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting: An element of the revived Roman Empire cuddles up with the chief prince of "Gog"....??
Posts: 163 | From: Houston TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaptureRH
Advanced Member
Member # 5120

Wednesday October 5, 12:26 PM

Putin and Blair hail 'new level' of Russia-EU ties

Russia and the European Union should take their relations to a "a new and more intense level", Prime Minister Tony Blair said following talks with visiting President Vladimir Putin.

Putin, in London for discussions with Blair -- whose country holds the six-monthly rotating EU presidency -- and other leaders of the bloc, was also effusive on Tuesday.

"The results of the London summit have reaffirmed that we are consistently strengthening our partnership. We are adding new substance and new quality to it," the Russian leader said.

Putin held talks earlier Tuesday with Blair, along with EU Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso and EU External Relations Commissioner Benita Ferrero-Waldner.

At a joint press conference afterwards with Putin and Barroso, Blair hailed the meeting as "good and constructive".

"We want to try to take the relationship between Europe and Russia to a new and more intense level...," Blair said.

The discussions covered "important realities" such as economy and trade, notably energy, as well as tackling crime and terrorism and the issue of human rights, Blair said.

In particular, Blair hailed growing trade ties with Russia, saying: "This is a relationship which can only grow and prosper and strengthen."

Blair added: "One thing for sure... whether it is in respect of Iran, or the Middle East peace process or any aspects of countries surrounding the Russian Federation, the need for us to have that close working relationship is very clear indeed".

"It was a good and constructive meeting that we held today and as I say, it has... become very obvious to me and I think my European colleagues just how important today, for our own economic future and our own security, this relationship between Russia and Europe is."

Blair continued: "I think today marks yet another development in that relationship and one that is greatly to be welcomed."

Much of the discussions centred on Russia's growing energy trade with the EU. Russia already provides about half of the 25-member bloc's natural gas and a third of its oil.

Blair was questioned as to whether this dependance on Russian energy meant the EU was less keen to rock the boat over sensitive issues such as human rights abuses in Chechnya.

Europe was trying to "make sure that we secure our energy supplies for the future -- but I think that's sensible", Blair said, but dismissed the fears.

"Personally, we discuss very frankly issues between us, whether it's to do with human rights or democracy, or for example we discussed the issue of Chechnya earlier today," he said.

He added: "I don't think the relationship is one of dependence, either on the Russian side or the European side. But what it is is a recognition of a very strong set of mutual interests today".

The Kremlin remains infuriated by Britain's failure to extradite Akhmed Zakayev, a leading Chechen separatist representative given political asylum.

The Russian foreign ministry last week complained about "anti-Russian activities by a series of 'new political emigres'".

Britain says Russia has provided the courts with insufficient proof of Zakayev's alleged crimes and also failed to show that the Chechen would face fair justice if returned.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/051004/1/3vex1.html

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement