Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Parents Need To Know About This!

Author Topic: Parents Need To Know About This!
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andyman:
Like you take 10 deep, slow breaths, while your up against a wall - someone rams you or hits you up against your ribs and it takes the breath out of you, and you faint for a few seconds..

Yeah [Frown] That's what the guys were doing that scared the life out of me I thought they were going to die [Frown]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw a brief reference to a study that is indicating the a teenage mind exposed *once* to illicit drugs can become completely addicted because their minds are not yet fully developed and their brain chemistry is all out of whack too. Experimentation is NOT okay.

Is it permissible to confine our kids to the house until they are 35? [Big Grin] The world is scary out there!

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scary stuff [Eek!] [Eek!]

Kids think that smoking an occasional 'joint' is not harmful, but apparently the ingrediants in marijuana are 30 times more potent than in the 60's.

I saw an excellant programme a couple of months with a medical doctor who explained the physical affects of marijuana and I wish I had recorded it.

He was saying that it takes about 9 hrs. to get over the affects of alcohol and 24 hrs. to get over the affects of marijuana. He explained the terrible damage it does to the brain cells and the information is staggering.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did it at slumber parties between the ages of 11 and 13, til we could get a hold of real drugs.... This was 20 years ago as well. It is not new and wasn't new then either. Kids are stupid, which is why they have to be watched so carefully until they are like 20 years old:P

This practice as well as the practice of huffing chemicals (liquid paper, liquid glue, hairspray, etc.) can cause permanent brain damage (erosion of memory at minimum, total retardation at the extreme) and death.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andyman
Advanced Member
Member # 4781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember i was in the fourth grade and i did something like that... It was a game of 'force-faint.' Like you take 10 deep, slow breaths, while your up against a wall - someone rams you or hits you up against your ribs and it takes the breath out of you, and you faint for a few seconds..

i did that once- like any stupid 10 year old. [Wink]

Dont do it though kids. Dont try it, dont experiment....

--------------------
IN 2000, WE AMERICANS spent 94 Billion Dollars lavishly on our home churches. However, the average North American Christian gives only 50 CENTS a week to global missions.

Gospel for Asia - Fire on the Altar

Posts: 60 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... God is so amazing! Linda, I'm SO Sorry for that tragedy in your lives and for the Pain I know Desi went through, and yet I'm blessed by the fact that the Lord brought this info here. I almost didn't post it, but that wonderful little voice said "It's Important!" So I did.

I Pray this will help at least bring some understanding to what may have happened. It does indeed sound feasable given the background.

When I was a teen (and doing Stupid things myself), the guys would 'hyperventilate' one another (sounds strange I know... I can barely remember what they did), but it was for the same reason... the high. It Scared me to death when they did this (I only saw them do it once and I gave them Heck for it too!). Seems like this idea has been around for a long time. But this is the first I've heard of kids hanging themselves to deprive their brains of oxygen [Frown]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deb this is so scary; in our community not our town, but in the community of about 5k that is about 20 miles away and where the High School is, there have been three teen suicides by hanging in a very short time.

Now I would have read this and thought surely a teen would know that this is stupid and no way to get high, but HisGrace you say you have heard of adults and teens doing this?

You know one of these deaths was someone Desi is close to, it was very very devesatating and not one saw it coming. In fact, this young man had recently (less than a year) become a Christian, and had left a life of smoking pot and drinking. His family was a close one, his employers loved him, I as a customer in the store where he worked found him to be a Joy of a young man.... not depressed, but always smiling and helpful and friendly. His sucicide was a shock to the whole community,as he was not known to be a troubled youth or depressed or havng trouble in school or anything like this. Even his brother, and his best friend, and his girlfriend none had a clue that he was troubled in any way, nor did any of his teammates on the wrestling team. This was so much a shock to the community that a whole school closed and a whole town shut down to attend his funeral.

Now, I have to wonder, if this was an accident. Could he have been tempted for the old life and the feeling of being high and struggling to stay straight and walk with Jesus, he had become active in the church, even working with the youth and speaking at the youth rally's.

Oh, I am just sick reading this. And thinking that perhaps this could have been what happened. I am going to print this and give it to the Sheriff next time I am in town. I wonder if they are aware of this. I wonder if the girls have heard of this. They are all gone till Sunday, but you can bet I am going to ask. Thanks for sharing this Deb!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by redkermit:
This definitely isn't a new thing

I have heard of adults and teens doing this as a sexual 'high' (to put it discreetly), but a 10-yr. old?? Extremely disturbing.

Others have also died from going too far.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a little bit about this on the radio. This definitely isn't a new thing. I remember kids doing this when I was in 6th grade, and that was like 20 years ago. Back then, I just figured it was a hoax, that they were faking being passed out. Thankfully, I never tried it myself.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 4 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my Pastor friends sent this to me in Email and suggested that we Not be Silent about this issue. We need to know what our kids are doing, so I'm sharing this!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/07/13/national/printable708879.shtml

Boy Died Playing 'Pass-Out Game'
BOISE, Idaho, July 13, 2005

A 10-year-old boy was found dead, hanging from a tree, apparently killed while trying to get high by playing the "pass-out game," authorities said.

Dalton Eby may be the second Idaho child killed in recent months while playing a choking game, trying to cut off the oxygen supply to the brain to achieve a type of "high."

Dalton's mother reported him missing last Thursday when he failed to return home after visiting a friend. Search and rescue crews found his body Friday, in a tree near his Island Park home, the Fremont County sheriff's office said in a statement.

There was nothing at the scene suggesting that anyone else was involved, the sheriff's office said.

"During the course of the investigation it was learned that there is a game that is common knowledge to many of our youth. A game known as the 'pass-out game,' the 'fainting game,' the 'tingling game,' or the 'something dreaming game' — to name a few," the statement added.

Dalton's parents had never heard of the game, and neither had the parents of his friends, the sheriff's office said.

That was also the case three months ago in the Idaho town of Nampa, where 13-year-old Chelsea Dunn was found dead after apparently hanging herself in her closet.

An investigation was inconclusive, but Dunn's family believes she died accidentally while playing the game, which was popular with a group of girls at her school. Six girls at the school were suspended for a day after a security camera videotape showed the seventh-graders choking each other in a hallway.

Though the so-called game is new to many adults, it's likely something that children have been doing for a long time, said Connecticut-based child psychologist Dr. Lawrence Shapiro, author of "The Secret Language of Children: How to Understand What Your Kids are Really Saying."

"That's scary," Shapiro said.

In addition to talking to kids about drugs and alcohol, parents should discuss other risky behavior, like the pass-out game, Shapiro said.

"Younger kids don't know that they can die from this, that it's a very dangerous activity," Shapiro said.

Nathan Hoiosen, a school resource officer with the Nampa Police Department, said youngsters think the choking game offers a safe buzz compared to drinking or doing drugs.

"You wish you could just take the kids and shake them and say, 'What are you thinking?"' Hoiosen said.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement