Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Mega-Churches Offer Prayer, Play, Shopping

Author Topic: Mega-Churches Offer Prayer, Play, Shopping
Ripp
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that the younger generation is going to accept these things with open arms.

quote:
It may mean the rise of "orthodoxy a la carte," where, as with IPods and music, young Americans take a "mix and match" approach to religion, said Bill Galston, a domestic policy adviser in the Clinton administration.
Generation Y embraces choice, redefines religion

God bless. [Bible] [Cross] [Prayer]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ripp
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
I think whether a Church is huge or small what matters most is the message they teach. I have been to a Church that had thousands that preached salvation through Jesus Christ. I went to grandma's Church of 25 every summer for 8 years and I never heard them preach anything but it was
wrong for girls and women to cut their hair, wear makeup, wear pants or for married people to wear wedding rings. Never once did they preach salvation.
When we see a meg a Church open instead of seeing them as the enemy let us pray that God will put a Pastor in that Church that will love God with all his heart and have a heart for soul winning. The time is short folks, we need to get the message of salvation out there.

Excellent point Betty, perhaps I didn't word what I wanted to get across properly. It wouldn't be the first time. [Wink]

What is MOST important is that people come to know Jesus as their Savior, repent, and get fed the Word of God. This can happen in big and small churches, no doubt. I know for sure that the believers are well stocked and fed in Charles Stanley's church. His messages are filled with the good stuff.

But, you can tell which ones are counting heads, numbers and cash flow. ANY church that dumbs down His message and DOES NOT preach salvation and repentance, is apostic. Big or small it makes no difference.

My point about MOST of the mega-churches and the PDC movement in particular is that they are focusing on numbers! They are bringing in non-believers for the purpose of dumbing down the message and becoming earthly. ANY church that hires a marketing firm to fill seats is in trouble, and so are the people attending.

I should have been more clear. My patience is not up to par yet and it's something I pray about continuously. I still have to work at explaining exactly what I am trying to say. I don't mean to lump ALL big churches together, but I can see which ones are apostic or becoming that.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out Betty. [hug]

God bless and stay strong. [Bible] [Cross] [Prayer]

P.S. Keep your eyes on the PDC movement please. It smells. Click on all the links and see for yourselves. [Wink]

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think whether a Church is huge or small what matters most is the message they teach. I have been to a Church that had thousands that preached salvation through Jesus Christ. I went to grandma's Church of 25 every summer for 8 years and I never heard them preach anything but it was
wrong for girls and women to cut their hair, wear makeup, wear pants or for married people to wear wedding rings. Never once did they preach salvation.
When we see a meg a Church open instead of seeing them as the enemy let us pray that God will put a Pastor in that Church that will love God with all his heart and have a heart for soul winning. The time is short folks, we need to get the message of salvation out there.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ripp
unregistered

I realized something today that I think is important and needs to be thought about.

The apostasy that is happening with a majority of mainline churches today is having a dual effect on end times. Not only are churches not preaching salvation and repentance and are becoming like the world, but there is another danger.

Because of the apostic churches, people have not been saved and have left the door open for the one-world religion. Since many people aren't getting saved in these churches, they aren't being grounded in Christ and the Word of God.

Today we see these mega-churches popping up all over, and there is no end in sight. The PDC crowd is expanding like crazy as new pastors become indoctrinated into this earthly like belief system. The pressure of trying to fill seats and donation trays is taking it's toll. Many pastors are willing to change their beliefs in order to increase numbers. Now, how are these churches going to be filled you ask? By all the non-believers looking for something new. Something more entertaining than the old boring church routine.

I see an upcoming explosion of these churches, kind of like what happened in Vegas years ago, and continues today. The lure of money is what is moving these mega-churches. Although success is not in how many people attend your church but how many know Jesus personally, these monstrous churches are counting empty seats.

Don't believe me? That's one of the reasons I left my old church. They kept count of how many people attended for each pastor. And you know what? It won't be long before pastors are released because they are not making their quotas. That is of course if there are any smaller churches alive by then.

If this next quote doesn't concern you, you really need to pray and consider the implications:

quote:
Right now about 5,000 more churches are doing the 40 Day of Purpose campaign, and now the program has been adopted by corporations (like Coke and Walmart) sports teams (like the Oakland Raiders and Green Bay Packers, NASCAR drivers, and the LPGA) schools, civic clubs, and even prisons. Last week, Paul Harvey told everyone to go buy a copy of PDL on his ABC radio broadcast. He said "This is one of the most insightful books I've ever read and I will read it again...and again...and again." In 2004 we expect over 15,000 more churches to participate.
Peace Plan by Rick Warren

We are nearing the end quickly. There is no doubt in my mind, we are close.

Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Alot of people chose a Church home because of their Spiritual needs. People don't get paid to go to Church. Going to Church is not about money.
Oh, no, people do not get paid to go to church. i was comparing the new churches to businesses, not soup kitchens.

There is money involved not for the congregation, but for the church. in return for their money, the church offers services.

The wal-mart reference Ripp made was true in the sense in that these churches sprout up usually in secluded areas where there may only be a few small churches. They seek to take the smaller churches "customers" and "run them out of business"

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave.

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ripp
unregistered

Saved people will choose a church that has Spirit. People that aren't will chose one that's cool. I know this as FACT. Why? I left one because they didn't teach repentance, they had a gay choir and promoted the homosexual agenda, they didn't teach rebirth. Guys, cmon and wake up. The apostasy is alive and well!

These new mega-churches and PDC churches are taking the focus off of rebirth and repentance in favor of a "softer, more seeker-friendly" scene. THIS DOES NOT SAVE PEOPLE! This only leads to people blindly attending church because it's cool. Church and their leaders are supposed to teach the Word and lead people to Jesus. It's kind of hard when your mind is focused on the new snack bar being opened on Monday and you don't teach repentance or rebirth. Open your eyes guys! If your church is NOT teaching rebirth and repentance and preaching the Word of God, LEAVE!

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your analogy Niedziejkore!
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alot of people chose a Church home because of their Spiritual needs. People don't get paid to go to Church. Going to Church is not about money.

I love the Left Behind series. I think you are way off base.

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I am opposed to Trinity Broadcasting and the like: they're all profiting on the bible, and are profiting off believers. I say the same about that guy who writes those fictional books about the end times... it's a popular series i forget the name of.

The thing is, religion is kind of like politics for a lot people: heck if they know how it works, and heck if they know what it all means.

Americans do not have time to read the bible, and they just want the soundbytes. It's capitalism at work, and with capitalism comes consumerism.

Consumerism in america changes the church in america. Finding a church isn't about spirituality, it's about finding the best deal.

Why should people attend a church that only offers wooden pews, no snack machine, and a rusted basketball hoop in back when we can join a church that offers a play room with plastic slides, TV monitors, a cafeteria, and plush comfy chairs?

What these churches serve to do is make churches even more competitive than they already are.

I think there was a saying the christians in the 18 and 19 hundreds had in assimilating the native american tribes: Kill the indian, save the man.

This is kind of like, "Kill the Christian, Save the Church"

I think they're trying to assimilate us.

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 4 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PDL book was one of the main reason Ian and I left Son of David. They handed this book out to the young adults Graduating their first year of Bible College. I investigated it because I remembered hearing there were problems. I was so upset when I found out that my pastor knew that the translation of the Bible that was being used was the Message. I was even more upset that no one seemed to even know what this book actually taught! When I brought my concerns before the Elders and the Pastor, I was brushed off at first, but I kept trying to show what was wrong. (I've lost all my documentation because of computer crashes or I'd share my findings.) Eventually the Pastor did have a meeting over luch with Ian about the subject and he seemed concerned, but No One ever bothered to inform the young adults that had been given this book that what they were reading were watered down scripture and worse yet a total dismissal of the subject of sin and regeneration.

There were more things that happened other then this which caused us to go with the small break off congregation, but that was the beginning of the end [Frown]

Rick Warren and his teachings on PDL and PDChurch as well as Church Growth Management are Dangerous for all the reasons Ripp gave above! And did you know he's also spearheading a new faith-based (clears throat) worldwide humanitarian effort?

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ripp
unregistered

quote:
"You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it," He told us through Moses in Deuteronomy 4:1-2. And in Proverbs 30:5-6, He warned: "Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. Do not add to His words, lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar."

Yet, man's incessant quest for "new, fresh ways" has always made us vulnerable to temptation. From the beginning, Satan has offered both pleasure and wisdom to those who would rephrase or revise God's timeless Word -- blending lies with truth that hide the deception. Back in the garden, it led to Eve's disobedience and the alienation of humanity. Through the Middle Ages, it led to horrendous heresies and cruel persecution of those who took their stand on God's unchanging Word. In our times, the rise of pragmatism and postmodernity has led to another round of revisions. And with the postmodern rejection of unchanging absolutes, there is no end in sight.

Spirit-Led or Purpose-Driven?

P.S. This article talks about the new Message Bible. Very interesting!

Ripp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by SoftTouch:
Yes Brother Ripp, that is indeed one of the concerns I have with todays Mega-Churchs... They seek to Please instead of Teach. It's all about drawing people in (which is God's job).

I agree with Betty that we do need to make sure we have things for the kids, but they MUST be Christ Centered and Not Pleasure Centered (which is how I see the video/arcade stuff).

I think you've said this before Ripp, if the 'masses' are doing it, then you can pretty well bet that God isn't in it!

God bless you Deb, you are obviously blessed with a better memory than me! [Wink]

I did say that or something similar I believe months ago in an apostasy thread or something.

I have never been one to follow the pack. If I see everyone running in one direction, I immediately stop and ask myself why. The mainline churches seem to be running toward this PDL thing and it worries me.

I have been reading further into this article and thought of an analogy.

Think of Wal Mart. It didn't use to be such the giant that it is today. It took years and years of consuming the smaller mom and pop stores to become so big. Well, I see this and similar movements as doing the same thing.

In the article it talks about how they hire marketing firms to bring in non-believers to make it easier to soften the doctrine and change peoples beliefs. Once you get enough non-believers in the church, you can do what you want with them.

It is my belief that this is just a part of the apostasy. These mega-churches will continue to gobble up the smaller "less cool" churches until Christian doctrine will completely be conformed into the PDL form or something similar. Hmm, maybe the one-world religion? If not, it is very clear to me as to how the masses will be fooled.

It's all here guys. Stop...look...listen! We are in a downward trend heading to a one-world religion. It's extremely important that you don't get swept up by all this hoopla.

STAY IN GOD'S WORD! PRAY! STAY IN THE WORD!

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Brother Ripp, that is indeed one of the concerns I have with todays Mega-Churchs... They seek to Please instead of Teach. It's all about drawing people in (which is God's job).

I agree with Betty that we do need to make sure we have things for the kids, but they MUST be Christ Centered and Not Pleasure Centered (which is how I see the video/arcade stuff).

I think you've said this before Ripp, if the 'masses' are doing it, then you can pretty well bet that God isn't in it!

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ripp
unregistered

I found this very interesting and very close to what I was saying:

quote:
Pastor Warren again claimed divine approval during a "Building a Purpose-Driven Church" seminar held at Saddleback Community Church in January, 1998. Basing church growth strategies on personal wants, not on the guidelines of God's Word, he said,

"Now, at Saddleback Church, we are unapologetically contemporary... I passed out a three-by-five card to everybody in the church, and I said, 'You write down the call letters of the radio station you listen to.' I wasn't even asking unbelievers. I was asking the people in the church, 'What kind of music do you listen to?' When I got it back, I didn't have one person who said, 'I listen to organ music.' Not one.... So, we made a strategic decision that we are unapologetically a contemporary music church. And right after we made that decision and stopped trying to please everybody, Saddleback exploded with growth....

"I'll be honest with you, we are loud. We are really, really loud on a weekend service.... I say, 'We're not gonna turn it down.' Now the reason why is baby boomers want to feel the music, not just hear it.... God loves variety!"[2]

Does God really love today's cultural "variety?" I doubt that God is pleased when we feed our cravings and strengthen our "need" for emotional stimuli. When ancient Israel became bored with God's Word and embraced a wide variety of cultural and spiritual thrills, God disciplined them severely. He even compared his wayward people with a "wild donkey... that sniffs at the wind in her desire." Jeremiah 2:24

When church leaders use energizing music, emotional stimuli and short, light messages to satisfy the flesh with its "felt needs," they tend to obscure our deeper spiritual needs. Fed a diet of simplified sermons designed to please everyone, both seekers and believers may lose their appetite for the solid Biblical teaching which -- by His Spirit -- produces conviction of sin, genuine repentance, actual regeneration, true spiritual renewal and the continual joy of walking with Jesus.

Spirit-Led or Purpose-Driven?

Wow, I guess that's why I'm not a journalist heh. Very well put, that's what I was trying to say in my posts. [Wink]

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

When you have young kids, if you do not have programs for them, they quickly lose interest in Church. Oh, yes you can make them go and I did, but as soon as they turn 18, they are out the door. When my daughter was a teen the Pastor had a teen her age and she had a good youth group. Then we moved, the Preacher was in his 60's and he did not have a heart for the youth. My son tried to build up the youth group. But after a couple of years, he became so discouraged and eventually deciede he was agnostic. Thankfully, he is now 29 and God has saved him and he is working hard in Church. What got him in Church again was a Church that reached out to the community. His Pastor is his age and 60% of the Church is his age. He feels like he belongs and yes they do preach the Word of God. We visit his Church about once a month.

--------------------

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a similar problem with the new (very small) start-up Congregation we're with now. There is only two other boys (both Steven's age, but still...). There is Nothing for the kids. They have to sit and listen to a sermon that was written for adults who already have a firm foundation in the Word. This is why I'm going to be checking into the Church he goes to school in and their youth activities. He's already gone on a couple and had a wonderful time. A few of his classmates are also members of that church so they invite him along, which I think is Such a Blessing!

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I went to the same Church my first 25 years. We had several Pastors over this time. If the Pastor had youth, then they did stuff for the youth, if they did not, then they didn't.
My mom did send me to youth camp. When my son was a youth, we went to a Church that had two young people counting him. He did go to a Church for a short time when we moved had a cool set up for youth with games and a Bible study. But they were a group that did not accept new comers and son got discouraged and refused to go back to youth night. I went on Sunday morning and no one ever spoke to me. So we found a new Church but as I said it had two young people.

--------------------

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Betty, what were some of the ways the church you grew up in dealt with the kids?

I remember going on retreats and to camp, having thursday night Bible studies and a fellowship time after (which included dancing).

The church where Steven goes to school (which is a Fundamental Independant Baptist) has a program called AWANA for the kids and it seems to be great from what I've seen so far. They do a lot of the same things I mentioned above (except the dance part). The pastor takes the boys on hunting trips, the kids go to other churches to listen to guest preachers and then go bowling or something afterwards, they have weekly Bible study and fellowship time, and they even have special classes that teach them how to go out into the world and witness! I think that's the coolest one! I want to take that class myself LOL!!!

I just think there are many other alternatives to providing kids with video and arcade games which do nothing but bombard them with violent images and make them into mind numbed zombies. Now, I do allow Steven to play video games, but Only certain ones (not the violent ones) and only for certain lengths of time. I think a Lot of the problem with the kids now days is a lack of parental involvement. Even in the Christian community. I've seen parents who are too busy with "Church" activities to pay much needed attention to their own kids... thats sad.

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I just think if you teach the true Word of God, that is should not matter that the kids came in because of video games. True we did not have those things when I was growing up but we are in an age if you don't entertain the kids to some degree they won't come. Do we just say, that is their loss? I hope not.
betty

--------------------

Ripp
unregistered

One last observation on this then I will leave it alone for now. Just a few questions:

1) Why do we think we have to entertain everyone in order to get God's Word across today?

2) How did people find the message of Jesus before there was TV?

3) If Jesus disapproved of the money changers in the temple, how do you think He sees these mega-churches?

4) If we are incapable of spreading the Word without putting an entertainment value on it, what does that say about the saints of today?

Just some questions to ponder.

Ripp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Niedziejkore:
wow, I agree with something Ripp is saying.

I now believe we are in the end times.

Lol. Isn't there a verse in Revelation about this?

"When people look on the BBS with complexity and when Niedziejkore agrees with Ripp, look up for thou time draws near."

Something like that? [pound]

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

quote:
Originally posted by Niedziejkore:

ROFL!!!! I thought the same thing when I read Your first post here [Big Grin] [pound] [Wink]

--------------------

Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Just another thought. When my husband called Allstate today. She said that vandlesm by youth is on the rise in our town. Last night someone took a water hose and put it through the mail slot at the Allstate bulding and turned it on. Our young people need a Christian safe and friendly place to hang out so they don't get bored and shoot out my the back window of my car again.

If I could go back, I would insist on going to a Bible preaching Church that had a good youth department and more than two young people attending.

while it is true some young people will go because of the games, they will be hearing the Word of God. If their parents are not Christians where else will they hear it?

--------------------

Ripp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
Of course I see where you are coming from but, my son left the Church for over 5 years because our Church had nothing for young people. So, I see things from a different angle. I also don't see having a Church that keeps young people with Church youth the same thing as Benny Hinn taking super vacations.
But this is a point that we can have different ideas and still be good friends.
betty

I understand the need for fellowship among youngsters, but is THIS the answer? Is this the best we can do? Is it not enough that kids delve into the Word, or must we entertain them now too?

Where is the focus in these places? Hmm? The focus is surely not on our Lord. The focus is on how wonderful and beautiful and fun the church is.

"Church is cool man, they are putting in a new arcade next week."

"Dude that rocks. Hey, let's go there today, I want to try out the new ride they got!"

Get my drift?

Where is it going to end? Do we add casinos to the mix? Think that's crazy? Watch this...

"We here at Our Sacred Father believe in helping those with addictions. For this reason, we are installing a casino on the church grounds so we might be able to watch them and help cleanse them from their addictions. Next Saturday is bring-a-friend night and we encourage all of you to come."

The apostasy is alive and well, and picking up steam. If we are not willing to apply the brakes, well, guess who's now driving the bus?

Just some things to think about.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Of course I see where you are coming from but, my son left the Church for over 5 years because our Church had nothing for young people. So, I see things from a different angle. I also don't see having a Church that keeps young people with Church youth the same thing as Benny Hinn taking super vacations.
But this is a point that we can have different ideas and still be good friends.
betty

--------------------

Ripp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by yahsway:
Good article ST, and yes, these churches are headed for apostacy in my opinon.

I listened to Joyce Myers yesterday. Normally, I like her teaching, I have tio throw some of it out though, for instance, yesterday while watching JM, she said " Christians should have everything the World has to offer".

Know any scriptures that compare the world and Christians?

Sounds like that junk that's spreading these days. You know, "you have to spend money to make money." Makes me sick.
 -

We are here to spread the Word of the Gospel, not waste our money on toys and such.

quote:
1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money , boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God , 5having a form of godliness but denying its power. [2 Timothy 3:1-5]

Ripp
unregistered

Betty,

I think it's best to keep earthly things away from the worship house of our Lord. Too many fleshy things can enter when these kinds of things are introduced. When you have that much stuff going on, and that many people, something's gonna happen sooner or later. When you open doors for satan like that, sooner or later someone will let him in.

I'm not against the occasional bake sale for the choir or whatever. But, when the church has been turned into a mini-mall or market type place, nah...keep that stuff out in the world. What matters is where the heart is but things get out of control when you try these things. I don't think you can realistically try and mix worship with the world and expect it to come off without a hitch. Too much flesh involved. Housing these facilities off campus might work but then again it's like a business. I mean, are we going there to worship or spend money? Eeek! [Eek!] Next thing you know, you have the staff paying $11,000 a night at a fancy Hawaiian hotel. Ick! Makes me sick to think about all the flesh that can go on in those places. If Jesus had a problem with money changers, what kind of damage could he do at one of those places? Hmm, Louisville Slugger would have a major sales gain. [Big Grin]

Just my two cents. (No pun intended) [Big Grin]

P.S. Why are they building these places? What's the motive? Could money be involved as a possible motive? These are things to consider.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I have never been a member of one but, if I had children at home, I would consider it.
It seems like a wonderful environment for Children to hang out in. Much better than dropping your kids off at the mall where who knows who they could run into.
If the Church preached the Bible and Jesus, I believe they can use this to reach many people.
We did have a Church in Houston that had a cafeteria with mini fast food places. This made it where people could eat after church together with fellow Church members. I liked that, but the Church was too far away from us.

I do not have a problem with the gift shop as long as it is in a different building from the sanctuary. I do know what Bro. Ripp was talking about. We did a study on this at the Church in Houston. The Church had started out selling the animals at cost to help people who came from so far away. Then the Church got greedy. They realized that they had the people over the barrel, either the people paid big bucks for the animals or their sins were not forgiven. They should have sold the animals outside the court yard too.

I think this meg a Churches can be good if they are done for God and in the right way. Too many times, I have heard kids say on the news the reason they got in gangs is they finally felt they belong somewhere. Churches need to reach out to young people. Having a place they can go to all week is a great idea.

--------------------

Ripp
unregistered

Hmm, I wonder if they sell St. Peter bobblehead dolls... [Big Grin]

I remember a few months ago watching a show on TBN and how this church was building a new gift store. I thought, hmm, that's not right. Didn't our Lord smash up a few money changers at the temple?

Of course, there are bake sales for charity and such. I think what's most important is where the focus is. Is it on the building and the entertainment or is it on our Lord Jesus? I can see how easy it would be for one of those mega churches to lose their focus on God by following the $.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good article ST, and yes, these churches are headed for apostacy in my opinon.

I listened to Joyce Myers yesterday. Normally, I like her teaching, I have tio throw some of it out though, for instance, yesterday while watching JM, she said " Christians should have everything the World has to offer".

Know any scriptures that compare the world and Christians?

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

My question would be: "Who's responsibility is it for adding members to the 'Church'?"

When the Apostles spoke about certain congregations they always said that "The Lord was adding to their number daily." So I see that it is God who brings people into the Church.

Linda said something above that also stands out... Just WHO are supposed to be going to "Church"? or "What should Church really be?" I see it as a gathering place for the Born Again Believers to come together and worship in Unity in the Holy Spirit. If you have non-Believers in there, then where is the unity? I believe that evangelism should be done on the streets and not in the church buildings. Once the person who's 'evangelized' accepts the Lord, then it's appropriate for them to come into the Congregation for Fellowship and Corporate Worship.

The problem I'm seeing with the "Seeker-Sensitive Mega-Churches" is that a lot of the times the message is watered down in an effort to reach the lost. What does this do for the New Believers (or even the older ones?) as far as helping them mature in their faith? A watered down gospel is a different gospel and we know what God's Word (The Bible) says about that...

Hopefully the motivation of 'seekers' is to Know God, which starts with understanding Sin and our Sinful condition and our absolute Need for the covering of Yeshua's (Jesus') precious blood to attone for our sins. If this message isn't being given then how can anyone be saved?

I've read a lot of articles about 'seeker-friendly' and 'mega-churches' and what I've read really concerns me. As with all denominations, I'm certain there are truly saved people in those churches, but I am concerned that they are headed into (if not already into) apostacy.

--------------------

shadowmaker
Advanced Member
Member # 3696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadowmaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I m going to go out on a limb here. If he is saving souls and getting people to come to church, I say good for him. Being a Christian doesnt mean you cant have fun. If they are getting families into church by using a gym or whatever, Praise God. 24000 people a week!!!! [clap2] But I only support this if he is truly teaching the word of God.

Brad

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

I don't believe religion should be about the church or the ritual and these churches seem to be all about the church.

in other words, seems as if it focuses more on the material realm than the spiritual realm.

I've seen these churches. they look like big office complexes.

I hope i can call them "abominations" of consumerism and warped spirituality. I don't want to be name-calling here.

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you seen these kinds of churches? Do any belong to this kind of church? I wonder what you think of this?

How does this compare to the functioning of the church of the apostles?

What is the purpose of the assembling together of the body?

Does this fit that bill?

When does one who spends as much time at church as they do at home go out into the world with the Good News?

Do we still need to take the Good News to the street or are we on the right path bringing the streets into the church assembly to hear the good news?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 19 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an Article written by ABC News

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/print?id=617341

Mega-Churches Offer Prayer, Play, Shopping

Churches with Thousands of Members and a One-Stop Mentality Becoming More Popular

Mar. 27, 2005
- Americans are known for their love of "super-sizing" -- from French fries to cars to houses -- and on this Easter Sunday, many Americans are celebrating on a much larger scale, in huge congregations known as "mega-churches," where people can do much more than just worship.

These mega-churches are places where members can not only pray, but work out in a gym, eat at a food court or browse in a bookstore. And they are becoming more popular across the country.

All-in-One Churches

For the Ellis family of Plano, Texas, church is not some chore to attend to on Easter Sunday. It's not even just a Sunday outing. The Ellises spend as much time at Prestonwood Baptist Church as they do at their home.

"In our family we almost kid, because we spend so much time up here, just because we love it," said Johnson Ellis. "There's just a lot of fun things up here."

Prestonwood is not a simple church -- its sprawling campus covers 140 acres.

Dad works out at Prestonwood, and mom, Beth, teaches religion. The kids, Graham and Sheridan, hang out in the children's section, and their older sister, Landen, goes to school at Prestonwood and sings in the choir.

Prestonwood has sports fields, an arcade, small bible-study groups and a bookstore on what is called Main Street. There is even a food court where the Ellises frequently eat, complete with a Starbucks.

For the Ellis kids, church is actually fun.

"It's not like, 'Oh, gosh, I have to go to church and be bored and have them spit scripture in my face,' " said Landen. "It's like it's fun and they make it great to learn."

Worshipping With Thousands

Prestonwood's worship center seats 7,000, but even that isn't big enough to hold all of the members.

Every weekend, there are three services to accommodate Prestonwood's membership of 24,000 people.

"It's like a small town in a big city. And what a blessing to be able to come together with people with like values," said Beth Ellis.

The Rev. Jack Graham is astounded by the seemingly unending flood of people wanting to join the church.

"It truly is remarkable to me," the pastor said. "I give an invitation every week, invite people to come forward to accept Christ or to join the church. And they just keep coming forward."

Mega-Churches Are Big Business

Mega-churches are booming all over the country, not just in the South.

Scott Thumma, a theologian at Hartford Seminary, compares the phenomenon to shopping at a place like Wal-Mart.

"Just as if you go to a Wal-Mart, you can get all of your lists done in one place, it's sort of one-stop shopping for spirituality as well," Thumma said.

He estimates there are about 850 to 900 mega-churches in the United States now -- each one with more than 2,000 members. That's about 10 times as many as there were in the 1970s.

Mega-churches are also mega-businesses. Prestonwood's annual budget is $25 million, and members are expected to tithe at least 10 percent of their income.

Consumerism Run Amok?

Not everyone has bought into the idea that bigger is better when it comes to church.

Randall Balmer, a theology professor at Barnard College in New York says, "It is in many ways consumerism run amok."

Balmer worries these mega-congregations are too isolated and emphasize consumerism over public service.

"I worry about a congregation so enmeshed into say, for example, a suburban, white, middle-class mentality," he said. "I worry that the full gospel isn't being communicated to these people."

Prestonwood Looks to Get Even Bigger

But the Ellis family says community service is a huge part of what they do here. They agree the size of the place can be overwhelming at first, but for their family, they say, it works.

Beth Ellis says Prestonwood is just keeping up with the fast pace of American life.

"You know, the culture is giving our kids a lot of fast-paced media and all different things that are moving along," she said. "Why can't the church keep up and do the same thing for our kids and for us?"

Johnson Ellis says Prestonwood has been good for family stability.

"Beth and I have been married for about 19 years here in a couple of months," he said. "Really the church is part of the glue, I think, that holds our family together."

There are other practical concerns surrounding mega-churches, such as traffic and the fear that they are putting smaller churches "out of business."

Graham argues that getting more people interested in religious services can only be good for all churches. And Prestonwood is hoping to do just that and looking for ways to expand its 24,000-member base.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement