Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » What is happening in the Indian Ocean????

Author Topic: What is happening in the Indian Ocean????
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep Laurie!

BA, did you read the article I linked too? Not only are the quakes increasing, but they are moving in a northern direction... there's more to this story. Check out the article please.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if you read all the data being compiled and the reports from the seismologists andd geologists, this is not normal at all, for any large magnitude earthquake. Aftershocks have always followed an exponential decay function, meaning they are many right after the earthquake, but rapdily drop off in intensity and frequency. Scientists are baffled because in this situation, the frequency and magnitude appears to be remaining stable over an extraordinarily long period of time, in terms of duration after the triggering event (the 9.0).

There have been earthquakes of this magnitude before, and there is plenty of data surrounding large earthquakes, so they do know that this situation is unusual.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whitesands777 writes:
quote:
But is it normal to have 145 aftershocks of 5.0 or greater in 1 month ?

I've never heard of anything like this.

What was the last time you have heard of a 9.0 quake? When the quakes are that powerful, a lot of movement has happened at the edge of the tectonic plate, and I would think that the settling and readjusting would also involve many aftershocks of considerable magnitude.

Trafield, I was responding to SoftTouch saying
quote:
I just think it's Really Weird!
Although I did not mention SoftTouch by name in my post, I did have her phrase in mind when I was responding, and I was merely explaining to her (or anyone, of course, like you) that the ratios were the same and therefore that many large afterstocks were normal and not "really weird" for a 9.0 earthquake.

5.0 aftershocks and 6.0 aftershocks in the Indian Ocean do not produce tsunamis of the kind seen after the 9.0 shock. For that reason, I was not worried about 5.0 and 6.0 tsunamis and wrote that "I'd be more worried about the refined sugar in an Orea cookie", and I am.

But, your point is well-taken that to the people living in the tsunami areas, even 5.0 and 6.0 afterschocks are much more important right now than the refined sugar in an Oreo cookie.

(But I'm not living there though, as you could tell from my Oreo cookie statement. Where I live, I'm personally more worried about the refined sugar in an Oreo cookie.)

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitesands777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But is it normal to have 145 aftershocks of 5.0 or greater in 1 month ?

I've never heard of anything like this.

Posts: 501 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trafield,

I don't believe that Born Again was trying to be insensitive or funny at all.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo 320

Trafield
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'd be more worried about the refined sugar in Oreo cookies.
That wasn't funny.
Tell your insensative comment to the people in the Indian Ocean region, Born Again.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that it would be normal to have aftershocks of 5.0 magnitude when the original shock was 9.0. In the USA, when we have earthquakes of 6.0, our aftershocks are in the range of 2.0 and 3.0, and thus have the same ratio to the original shock as the Indian shock.

I'd be more worried about the refined sugar in Oreo cookies.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one way to put it LOL!!! I just think it's Really Weird!

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating, isn't it?
Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 4 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/01-31d-05.asp

Eight more quakes in Andaman-Nicobar – aftershock epicenters moving northwards

(The following is a quote from the end of the article)

…..”It seems if someone is building a tunnel many miles below the earth’s surface, they are doing it very carefully. The tremors have no pattern and the moving average of the Richter scale readings are not going down.

That is scary says some Geologists and Seismic experts. The amount of energy that has been released in the aftershock is higher than any other case in the world ever recorded.

Some of the Andaman Nicobar tribal people say that they can hear in the earth strange sounds below the ground.

No one is sure what is happening – but in one month more than 145 after shocks have taken place with 5.0 Richter or above. And that is a matter of serious concern.”

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement