Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » The world's most powerful earthquake in 40 years kills...

Author Topic: The world's most powerful earthquake in 40 years kills...
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitesands777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the news last night they told us to set our clocks forward one second because of the quake...
Posts: 501 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was written by Tom Stewart
August 19, 1999

but very applicable for today especially considering increased "birth pains" indicate a babies soon arrival.

There Shall Be Earthquakes

On August 18th 1999, the Associated Press reported on the recent earthquake near Istanbul, Turkey: "Terrified earthquake survivors sought the safety of open ground Tuesday as the enormity of Turkey's Monday night tragedy became clear: more than 2,000 people killed, thousands injured and 10,000 more missing, and incalculable damage after an overwhelming show of nature's power." This very event was predicted by the LORD Jesus Christ, more than 1,900 years ago. "For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers [or, various] places, and there shall be famines and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows" (Mark 13:8). The U.S. National Earthquake Information Center reported that Turkey's earthquake was "one of the most powerful recorded in the 20th century", having been initially reported by U.S. scientists with a magnitude of 7.8 on the Richter scale. The San Francisco earthquake of 1906 was a 7.9 temblor. "I will shake the heavens, and the Earth, and the sea, and the dry land; And I will shake all nations, and The Desire of All Nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of Hosts" (Haggai 2:6-7).

Earthquakes have the reputation of causing the greatest amount of death and destruction in the least amount of time, i.e., landslides, mudslides, tsunamis, and collapsing man-made structures. "For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now" (Romans 8:22). An earthquake is "any abrupt disturbance within the Earth that is tectonic or volcanic in origin and that results in the generation of elastic waves. The passage of such seismic waves through the Earth often causes violent shaking at its surface" (from Britannica CD 99). "He looketh on the Earth, and it trembleth: He toucheth the hills, and they smoke" (Psalm 104:32). Scientists postulate that earthquakes are caused by plate tectonics, where the Earth's surface is composed of large, rigid plates that move relative to one another, often interacting violently at their boundaries. "Then the Earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because He was wroth" (Psalm 18:7). Seismographs measure the oscillation of the ground using the Richter scale, where each increase in magnitude of one unit represents a 10-fold increase in earthquake size. "What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31). An earthquake of magnitude 8 is 10,000 times as large as one of magnitude 4. But, "I will shake the heavens, and the Earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the LORD of Hosts, and in the day of His fierce anger" (Isaiah 13:13).

The following was written in my "Commentary on the Book of Revelation" ---New Window , concerning the Church of Philadelphia. That church was located in Asia Minor, which is modern day Turkey, in the region affected by Turkey's August 16th 1999 earthquake, whose epicenter was Golcuk (pronounced GULjik):

"Revelation 3:7- 'And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;'

The Philadelphia of the Revelation, the city of brotherly love, is now a small village known as Alasehir. It is situated in modern Turkey, about 28 miles southeast of Sardis and 75 miles from the Aegean Sea coast. Numerous pagan temples dotted the skyline of the ancient city, with their columns dedicated to noteworthy citizens. An earthquake that devastated Sardis in 17 AD did the same to Philadelphia. During the ensuing years, Philadelphia was plagued with recurring quakes.

Revelation 3:12- 'Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, which is New Jerusalem, which cometh down out of Heaven from My God: and I will write upon him My New Name.'

Remembering the earthquakes of ancient Philadelphia, you can easily imagine the frightened citizens of Philadelphia scurrying out of the temples, whose pillars were inscribed with their names, with each after shock. By comparison, our LORD 'will write upon' the esteemed inhabitants of the New Jerusalem, His 'New Name'-- signifying His ownership, for we 'are bought with a price' (1Corinthians 6:20), and signifying a New Chapter in our lives, for 'He will dwell with' us forever (Revelation 21:3). And, the dwellers of New Jerusalem 'shall go no more out'. This is perfect tranquility. 'Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee' (Isaiah 26:3)."
While seismologists and geologists grapple with the scientific mechanics of earthquakes, we ought to consider the spiritual reasons for why God shakes the Earth. God uses earthquakes to execute His Judgments. "5 The mountains quake at Him, and the hills melt, and the Earth is burned at His presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein. 6 Who can stand before His indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of His anger? His fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by Him. 7 The LORD is good, a Strong Hold in the day of trouble; and He knoweth them that trust in Him. 8 But with an overrunning flood He will make an utter end of the place thereof, and darkness shall pursue His enemies" (Nahum 1:5-8). The LORD of All the Earth (Joshua 3:13) uses all the power of His created planet to accomplish His purpose of Judgment. "19 The Earth is utterly broken down, the Earth is clean dissolved, the Earth is moved exceedingly. 20 The Earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again" (Isaiah 24:19-20).

How man responds to God's Judgments demonstrates his heart before God. The True Saints rejoice in God's Judgments. "It is joy to the just to do Judgment: but destruction shall be to the workers of iniquity" (Proverbs 21:15). The impenitent of Noah's day were irretrievably lost to any sense of repentance or appreciation of God's Judgments. "5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the Earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually... 7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the Earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth Me that I have made them" (Genesis 6:5, 7). But, some may actually pause to consider their ways, and turn to the Salvation that is in the LORD Jesus Christ. "Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God" (Matthew 27:54).

Maranatha!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This link has a little box over in the mid right of the page that you can click on to see 10 of the most incredible satalite photos of the Tsunami coming ashore on the asian coast.

The death now is at more than 123,000 souls.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6758619/?GT1=6065

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard something on Fox News tonight that it stalled the Earths rotation for 3 millionths (??) of a second? And that it's going to cause us to loose that much length in our days. So our days will be microscopically shorter.

I just checked out the latest Earthquake data at: http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/bulletin.html

WOW, have there been a Whole Lot of 5-6 pointers in the India/Sumatra region. There have even been a few in the northern pacific between Russia and Alaska.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoftTouch:
I've looked and looked but I can't find any news that expands on the 'rotation' thing. The news says it and then moves on like that's not a big thing ??? Personally, I dunno?

I find it strange that we're not hearing from scientists regarding this. It seems to me that would be a whole story in its self. Maybe someone else will have more luck finding something. Maybe the scientific community needs time to get their 'theories' straight? [Wink]

Anyone ever see the movie "The Core"?

Yes! I saw the movie. It was a very good science fiction movie. I think it was how scientists messed up our electromagnetic field, and it caused all kinds of weather diasters.

We may hear more news(or not) depending on how much is allowed to the public about the earth's rotation being affected.

It's sort of like the Mount St. Helen's eruption in 1980, in the sense that scientists really don't know "yet" how much it will affect the earth.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very interesting (going on to quote from above article):

"However, Stuart Sipkin, of the USGS National Earthquake Information Center in Golden Colorado, said it was more likely that the islands off Sumatra had risen higher out of the sea than they had moved laterally."

"In in this case, the Indian plate dived below the Burma plate, causing uplift, so most of the motion to the islands would have been vertical, not horizontal."

Seeing as the plates all slip over and under one another, I wonder what affect this will have on other plates in the coming days and weeks?

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitesands777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a news story with the link....It says that the Earth's orbit was rattled and the map of Asia was changed!

Bat Elohim, I wondered if this would change weather just as you stated in your post.

quote:
Quake rattled Earth orbit, changed map of Asia: US geophysicist
Mon Dec 27, 8:33 PM ET Asia - AFP

LOS ANGELES, (AFP) - An earthquake that unleashed deadly tidal waves on Asia was so powerful it made the Earth wobble on its axis and permanently altered the regional map, US geophysicists said.

AFP Photo

The 9.0-magnitude temblor that struck 250 kilometers (155 miles) southeast of Sumatra island Sunday may have moved small islands as much as 20 meters (66 feet), according to one expert.

"That earthquake has changed the map," US Geological Survey expert Ken Hudnut told AFP.

"Based on seismic modeling, some of the smaller islands off the southwest coast of Sumatra may have moved to the southwest by about 20 meters. That is a lot of slip."

The northwestern tip of the Indonesian territory of Sumatra may also have shifted to the southwest by around 36 meters (120 feet), Hudnut said.

In addition, the energy released as the two sides of the undersea fault slipped against each other made the Earth wobble on its axis, Hudnut said.

"We can detect very slight motions of the Earth and I would expect that the Earth wobbled in its orbit when the earthquake occurred due the massive amount of energy exerted and the sudden shift in mass," Hudnut said."

Here's the entire news story

story

Posts: 501 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

quote:
Originally posted by WhiteEagle:
CNN has an article that says that the earth prabably wobbled in it's rotation. I also heard on Fox news that the quake and tsuani may have caused some small island to move.

Reminds me of a verse that says "the islands shall be moved out their places". I think it's in Revelation.

The death toll may even get as high as 50,000.

The power and magnitude of this disaster is mind-numbing. I don't even think these people had any warning.

I can only pray as I can't even begin to fathom how terrible this is, for those people in Asia.

Here it is in Revelation 16:20

20"And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found."

I read that it was the Island of Sumatra or something like that actually moved 100 feet according to GPS data..

The scary part is that the Bible says the coming earthquake makes EVERY island move out of its place and the mountains will not be found...

We can probably expect events like this to start becoming more common place until the big one occurs.

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

I've looked and looked but I can't find any news that expands on the 'rotation' thing. The news says it and then moves on like that's not a big thing ??? Personally, I dunno?

I find it strange that we're not hearing from scientists regarding this. It seems to me that would be a whole story in its self. Maybe someone else will have more luck finding something. Maybe the scientific community needs time to get their 'theories' straight? [Wink]

Anyone ever see the movie "The Core"?

--------------------

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CNN has an article that says that the earth prabably wobbled in it's rotation. I also heard on Fox news that the quake and tsuani may have caused some small island to move.

Reminds me of a verse that says "the islands shall be moved out their places". I think it's in Revelation.

The death toll may even get as high as 50,000.

The power and magnitude of this disaster is mind-numbing. I don't even think these people had any warning.

I can only pray as I can't even begin to fathom how terrible this is, for those people in Asia.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Here's a link to an Earthquake map: http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

Here's a link to a list of current Earthquake activity worldwide: http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/bulletin.html

I'll see what I can find out about the rotation question. I'm interested to know about that too!

--------------------

WhoopiePie
Advanced Member
Member # 4202

Icon 9 posted      Profile for WhoopiePie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those poor people had no warning. I hope they get the help the need.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

Trafield...I read that about the earth's rotation was disturbed by it and that was very interesting...

You're right, it isn't over yet as the earth trembles the earthquakes will become more frequent and more intense....

Revelation 16:18
18"And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great. 19And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath. 20And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found. 21And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great."

The Bible says this earthquake is going to be so big that the cities of the nations will fall...

Trafield
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check Out the following quote from another AP article:

quote:
''All the planet is vibrating'' from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.
Massive Quake, Tsunamis Kill Thousands in South Asia
More Than 11,000 Dead in Seven Countries as Tidal Waves Slam Coasts
By DILIP GANGULY,
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (Dec. 26) - An earthquake of epic power struck deep beneath the Indian Ocean on Sunday, unleashing 20-foot walls of water that came crashing down on beaches in seven Asian countries across thousands of miles, smashing seaside resorts and villages and leaving more than 11,000 dead in their wake.

The death toll along the southern coast of Asia - and as far west as Somalia, on the African coast, where nine people were reported lost - was certain to increase, as authorities sorted out a far-flung disaster caused by the 9.0-magnitude earthquake, strongest in 40 years and fourth-largest in a century.

The earthquake hit at 6:58 a.m.; the tsunami came as much as 2 1/2 hours later, without warning, on a morning of crystal blue skies. Sunbathers and snorkelers, cars and cottages, fishing boats and even a lighthouse were swept away.

Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India each reported thousands dead, and Thailand, a Western tourist hotspot, said hundreds were dead and thousands missing.

''It's an extraordinary calamity of such colossal proportions that the damage has been unprecedented,'' said Chief Minister Jayaram Jayalalithaa of India's Tamil Nadu, a southern state which reported 1,705 dead, many of them strewn along beaches, virtual open-air mortuaries.

Tsunamis' Deadly Force

''It all seems to have happened in the space of 20 minutes. A massive tidal wave of extreme ferocity ... smashed everything in sight to smithereens,'' she said.

At least three Americans were among the dead - two in Sri Lanka and one in Thailand, according to State Department spokesman Noel Clay. He said a number of other Americans were injured, but he had no details.

''We're working out on ways to help. The United States will be very responsible,'' Clay said.

The quake was centered 155 miles south-southeast of Banda Aceh, the capital of Indonesia's Aceh province on Sumatra, and six miles under the Indian Ocean's seabed. The temblor leveled dozens of buildings on Sumatra - and was followed by at least a half-dozen powerful aftershocks, ranging in magnitude from almost 6 to 7.3. The waves that followed the first massive jolt were far more lethal.

An Associated Press reporter in Aceh province saw bodies wedged in trees as the waters receded. More bodies littered the beaches. Authorities said at least 4,185 were dead in Indonesia; the full impact of the disaster was not known, as communications were cut to the towns most affected.

The waves barreled across the Bay of Bengal, pummeling Sri Lanka, where more than 4,500 were reported killed - at least 3,000 in areas controlled by the government and about 1,500 in regions controlled by rebels, who listed the death toll on their Web site. Some 170 children were feared lost in an orphanage. More than a million people were displaced from wrecked villages.

The carnage was mindboggingly widespread. About 2,300 were reported dead along the southern coasts of India, at least 289 in Thailand, 42 in Malaysia and 32 in the Maldives, a string of coral islands off the southwestern coast of India. At least two died in Bangladesh - children who drowned as a boat with about 15 tourists capsized in high waves.

The huge waves struck around breakfast time on the beaches of Thailand's beach resorts - probably Asia's most popular holiday destination at this time of year, particularly for Europeans fleeing the winter cold.

''People that were snorkeling were dragged along the coral and washed up on the beach, and people that were sunbathing got washed into the sea,'' said Simon Clark, 29, a photographer from London vacationing on Ngai island.

In India's Andhra Pradesh state, 32 people were drowned when they went into the sea for a Hindu religious ceremony to mark the full moon. Among them were 15 children.

''I was shocked to see innumerable fishing boats flying on the shoulder of the waves, going back and forth into the sea, as if made of paper,'' said P. Ramanamurthy, 40, of that state.

The earthquake that caused the tsunami was the largest since a 9.2 temblor hit Prince William Sound in Alaska in 1964, according to geophysicist Julie Martinez of the U.S. Geological Survey.

''All the planet is vibrating'' from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.

The quake occurred at a place where several huge geological plates push against each other with massive force. The survey said a 620-mile section along the boundary of the plates shifted, motion that triggered the sudden displacement of a huge volume of water.

Scientists said the death toll might have been reduced if India and Sri Lanka had been part of an international warning system designed to advise coastal communities that a potentially killer wave was approaching. Although Thailand is part of the system, the west coast of its southern peninsula does not have the system's wave sensors mounted on ocean buoys.

As it was, there was no warning. Gemunu Amarasinghe, an AP photographer in Sri Lanka, said he saw young boys rushing to catch fish that had been scattered on the beach by the first wave.

''But soon afterward, the devastating second series of waves came,'' he said. He climbed onto the roof of his car, but ''In a few minutes my jeep was under water. The roof collapsed.

''I joined masses of people in escaping to high land. Some carried their dead and injured loved ones. Some of the dead were eventually placed at roadside, and covered with sarongs. Others walked past dazed, asking if anyone had seen their family members.''

Michael Dobbs, a reporter for The Washington Post, was swimming around a tiny island off a Sri Lankan beach at about 9:15 a.m. when his brother called out that something strange was happening with the sea.

Then, within minutes, ''the beach and the area behind it had become an inland sea, rushing over the road and pouring into the flimsy houses on the other side. The speed with which it all happened seemed like a scene from the Bible - a natural phenomenon unlike anything I had experienced before,'' he wrote on the Post's Web site.

Dodds weathered the wave, but then found himself struggling to keep from being swept away when the floodwaters receded.

On Phuket, in Thailand, Somboon Wangnaitham, deputy director of the Wachira Hospital, said one of the worst-hit areas was Patong beach, where at least 32 people died and 500 were injured. On Phi Phi island, where ''The Beach'' starring Leonardo DiCaprio was filmed, 200 bungalows at two resorts were swept out to sea.

''I am afraid that there will be a high figure of foreigners missing in the sea and also my staff,'' said Chan Marongtaechar, owner of the PP Princess Resort and PP Charlie Beach Resort.

Many areas were without electricity. In Tamil Nadu in India, a unit of the Madras Atomic Power Station was shut down after water entered the plant. The Indian air force planned to drop diesel generators - along with packets of food and medicine - to ravaged areas.

Some 20,000 Sri Lankan soldiers were deployed in relief and rescue and to help police maintain law and order. The international airport was closed in the Maldives after a tidal wave that left 51 people missing in addition to the 32 dead.

Indonesia, a country of 17,000 islands, is prone to seismic upheaval because of its location on the margins of tectonic plates that make up the so-called the ''Ring of Fire'' around the Pacific Ocean basin.

The Indonesian quake struck just three days after an 8.1 quake along the ocean floor between Australia and Antarctica caused buildings to shake hundreds of miles away. The earlier temblor caused no serious damage or injury.

Quakes reaching a magnitude 8 are very rare. A quake registering magnitude 8 rocked Japan's northern island of Hokkaido on Sept. 25, 2003, injuring nearly 600 people. An 8.4 magnitude tremor that struck off Peru on June 23, 2001, killed 74.

(Associated Press reporters Gemunu Amarasinghe in Colombo, Sri Lanka, K.N. Arun in Madras, India, and Sutin Wannabovorn in Phuket, Thailand, contributed to this report.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trafield
unregistered

Rio,
The Day will bring darkness to those who are not faithful and who do not know Jesus as Lord. The rebuke in Amos 5:18 is for Israel and its people, who longed for that day because they expected to be exalted as God's chosen people without regard to their faithfulness to him.
So your rebuke to me (if that is what it was) is completely misplaced.
Even so. Come Lord Jesus!

1 Thessalonians 5:4-6
But you, bretheren, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled.

2 Timothy 4:8
Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day-and not just to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Titus 2:11-15
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say 'No' to ungodliness and worldy passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope-the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ...

Revelation 22:17
The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

Revelation 22:20
He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

RioLion
unregistered

Amos 5:18 (ESV)
Woe to you who desire the day of the Lord!
Why would you have the day of the Lord?
It is darkness, and not light,

Trafield
unregistered

The tsunamis hit 6 countries...but we 'aint seen nothin' yet!

Luke 21:25-28
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things certainly seem to be escalating.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onesog
Community Member
Member # 4169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the second huge earthquake in as many days.

1) World's biggest earthquake in almost four years registered off Australia 8.1 12/24/2004

2) 6,300 Dead as Quake, Tsunami Devastate Asia
The death toll is still rising. - 8.9 12/25/2004

There was also a 6.4 quake somewhere yesterday but I can't find anything about it on line today and I don't remember where it was.
I guess it isn't big enough to report today. [Frown]

quote:
And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. (Luke 21:28)

--------------------
(1 John 3:2) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Posts: 17 | From: Arizona | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onesog
Community Member
Member # 4169

Icon 9 posted      Profile for onesog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tidal Waves Kill More Than 5,600 in Asia

By LELY T. DJUHARI
Associated Press Writer

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) -- The world's most powerful earthquake in 40 years triggered massive tidal waves that slammed into villages and seaside resorts across Asia on Sunday, killing more than 5,600 people in six countries.

Tourists, fishermen, homes and cars were swept away by walls of water up to 20 feet high that swept across the Bay of Bengal, unleashed by the 8.9-magnitude earthquake centered off the west coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

In Sri Lanka, 1,000 miles west of the epicenter, more than 2,425 people were killed, the prime minister's office said. At least 1,870 died in Indonesia, and 1,130 along the southern coasts of India. At least 168 were confirmed dead in Thailand, 42 in Malaysia and 2 in Bangladesh.

But officials expected the death toll to rise dramatically, with hundreds reported missing and all communications cut off to Sumatran towns closest to the epicenter. Hundreds of bodies were found on various beaches along India's southern state of Tamil Nadu, and more were expected to be washed in by the sea, officials said.

quote:
And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven. (Luke 21:11)

--------------------
(1 John 3:2) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Posts: 17 | From: Arizona | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement