Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » MD Schools Take God Out Of Thanksgiving

Author Topic: MD Schools Take God Out Of Thanksgiving
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanksgiving is usually taught as a part of social studies and emphasizes cultural immersion.

it's funny how thanksgiving is about cultural emersion... i'm assuming it's a refrance to the pilgrim's relationship with american indians... when the europeans just ended up committing genocide against my people.

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave.

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Advanced Member
Member # 3696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadowmaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If my kids had a paper to write and they thanked God for everything, NOT one word by anybody in the school system better be said. We as Christians need to start standing just as strong for GOD as those that are trying to take GOD away. Everybody now is worried about offending someone else. Well, it offends me that they are trying to take GOD out of everything.

I read alot more than I post. And to be honest, at first I thought some of you were a little.....well alot crazy for wanting the rapture to come quickly. As I grow stronger as a Christian and start to understand more, I m starting to feel the same way. How much more is God going to allow before he says thats enough? And everything that is suppose to happen in the last days, IS happening and its happening really fast. I m not perfect and I know I have alot of growing to do. But I m SO happy God didnt give up on me when he really should have.

Brad

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is much allegory in the story of Noah that applies to these last days. The story of Noah is the Story of Christ's salvation. God always does in the Physical that which he is also doing in the spiritual. If I get time later perhaps I will post some, or perhaps someone else will that knows it. I can think of at least three here who I know know it. Right now I am off to clean my house.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Then he will shut the door of heaven for those 7 years, just like he did with Noah, when he shut them up in the ark for 7 days before the rains came.
hmmm... i never thought about that before! thanks for posting that hfhs!

I remember hearing once on a history show that before it started to rain there was a massive earthquake that caused the water under the earth to break forth and then it immediately started to rain.

I have been told that at the end of the 7 years there will be another massive earthquake, this time with fire and lava errupting out.

Of course, we can't know that for sure until it happens, but God is so wonderfully mysterious and does things in duplicate. Everything that was is a shadow of what is to come.

I'm excited to see what He is going to do, but I'm also fearful. I want my family saved and I pray for them, but they won't listen either.

I just pray that God uses me to be a good witness and plant seeds where I can.

Blessings!

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can't even persuade my best friend! He says, "Ah man, Jesus won't come in my lifetime. Besides, I'm having too much fun."
No you can't and you never could! It must be the Holy spirit that persuades them. Your job has never been to persuade them, it has always been to sow the seed that is the word.

quote:
It's like you're talking Japanese to them.
You might as well be the scripture says that the things of God, are but foolishness to the carnal mind. This is true of everybody's carnal mind. This is why it must be the Spirit of God that draws, calls, persuades. Your job is only to sow.

quote:
Now granted, my gift was not in the witnessing area but still.
Witnessing is not a gift it is a calling which is commanded to every saint.

Some of us do it with words, HIS words. In this case God gifts us with the opportunites to speak them and the annointing on our own words that are mixed with HIS in speach.

Others of us do it with the lives we live and the interactions we have with other people in our jobs, the stores we shop in, the places we go. In this case God gifts us with both the opportunites and the annointed deeds or words of those day to day interactions.

Still others do it in their works of giving or service. and again he gifts us with the opportunities and the annointing over our works.

But all of us are commanded to bear witness of CHRIST and the grace of HIS salvation.

quote:
Some get offended and call you intolerant or whatever.
They did this when Jesus spoke too; consider yourself in good company.

quote:
Remember, Noah tried to warn everyone about the coming flood and what did they say? "Bah, you're crazy old man, what is rain anyway?"
What they have to say is between them and God. That is not your problem. What was important about Noah warning them was his obedience; when God gave to Noah to warn them, God knew then that only Noah, his wife, and his sons and their wives would enter the ark.

What is important is likewise with us is our obedience, right up to the day and the hour when the doors of heaven open and the trumpet sounds and he calls to us come in side.

Then he will shut the door of heaven for those 7 years, just like he did with Noah, when he shut them up in the ark for 7 days before the rains came.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ripp
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that Soft and I pain for them. But, have you tried talking to non-believers lately about God, Jesus etc? I can't even persuade my best friend! He says, "Ah man, Jesus won't come in my lifetime. Besides, I'm having too much fun." It's like you're talking Japanese to them. Now granted, my gift was not in the witnessing area but still. Some get offended and call you intolerant or whatever. I just see the times as like in the days of Noah. People running around being lovers of themselves. No cares except for their next paycheck, next drink and next sexual escapade.

Remember, Noah tried to warn everyone about the coming flood and what did they say? "Bah, you're crazy old man, what is rain anyway?"

It's time for a wakeup call, and it's coming soon.

Maranatha! [Prayer]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This whole subject is really turning my stomach [Frown]

Ripp, even though I agree that I too can't wait to be Raptured, we have to remember that there are still Sheep that need to come in [Wink] The Harvest is Plentiful, but the workers are few...

I have a lot of trouble remembering this myself. I've been praying to have more of a heart for the lost.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Most of what calls itself Christianity does not have a Biblical Worldview, something like 89%.

Our lives are the expressions of a war that is being waged in an unseen world. We do not war with flesh and blood but with powers and principalities and spiritual wickedness in high places. Even if you look at the wars of the old Testament, you see that conquering of lands etc... were the result of God's bringing judgment on peoples. The judgments that he brought were because the peoples lives reflected the goings on of powers in the unseen realm and were expressed as sin in this realm.

I think it is really important to understand that Secular Humanism is a religion and it has an agenda. The concepts of secular humanism are at the heart of original sin.

Satan unlike God does not have the power to make himself into a physical form; he must accomplish his goals through the influence of human beings. The evil spirits also do not have the ability to manifest bodies of their own. They too, in order to serve the one who is the Captain of their Host, must also serve him through the influence of human beings.

Satan has a goal that is to exhalt himself above the stars of God and eventually to sit upon the throne of God and declare himself to be God. His day to day activities are the pressing of himself toward that goal.

The result of that looks like men who pridefully place themselves in their minds on the throne of God. Except they don't know who God is, so they exhault their humanity. Secular Humanism is a religion that says man is all there is; man is in control of his destiny; man is capable of all things and society ... even life itself is limited only by the limits of the power of human mind and of that mind there are no limits only perceived limits.

Secular humanism says man is the beginning and the end. Secular humanism says man knows all, can create all, and is all.

What the secular humanist does not understand is that they are simply the pawns used in a chess game between Satan and ALmighty God. And they are playing on the side that lost.

The leaven of the Pharisee was secular humanism and they did not even know it. They acknowledged God unlike their modern day counterparts, but they were acknowledging a being that they did not know, and could not recognize when he manifest himself in the flesh that is Christ Jesus. Their faith was in self. The faith of today's secular humanist is in humanity. It is still a faith mind you. God has given to all men a measure of faith; what we place it in is another story.

So, as we look at secualar humanism in our society and in ourselves who have been educated in the principles of it from our beginning, we need to realize where it comes from and what it is. Else, we too become pawns in the chess game.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Ripp
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my professors has been adamant about his beliefs in evolution and told us he didn't care if we believed in creation, we weren't to bring it up for discussion in class. Last week he 'warned' us about the new labels about creation coming out on books. He was basically freaking out at the thought that we as a society would teach creation along side of evolution. They just can't wait for the rapture so they can get the rest of us Chritian do-goodies out of here. I for one can't wait either. Let them destory the rest of society. I'm sick of the path we are being led down...

Maranatha! [Prayer]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in sixth grade, the "gifted class" I was in was taught a series of lessons on situational ethics!! Secular humanism - disgusting [Frown]
Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Someone should tell the schools that they are in the business of teaching History, not rewriting it.

Sadly, from the foundation of Public Schools in the US, there has been an agenda. It was the agenda of the man known as the founder of Public Education John Dewy. That agenda was Humanism. We see the result today of that agenda in our society as we see the third and fourth generations who are products of the public school system.

Here is John Dewey the "Father of Modern Public Education"....

John Dewey, 1859-1952
Dewey is considered the father of modern public education. He wrote:
"What the church has been for medieval man, the public school must become for democratic and rational man. God would be replaced by the concept of the public good." "...the traditional approach in which the tools of learning [reading, writing, and arithmetic] were first mastered was not appropriate for the new age of social consciousness." "...apart from the thought of participation in social life, the school has no end or aim." "There is no God and there is no soul. Hence, there are no needs for the props of traditional religion. With dogma and creed excluded, then immutable truth is also dead and buried. There is no room for fixed, natural law or moral absolutes."

According to Orestes Brownson, author, philosopher, and Unitarian minister, public schools were a means to an end.
Orestes Brownson, 1803-1876
"Our great object was to get rid of Christianity, and to convert our churches into halls of science. The plan was not to make open attacks on religion...but to establish a system of state - we said national - schools, from which all religion was to be excluded...and to which all parents were to be compelled by law to send their children. For this purpose, a secret society was formed and the whole country was to be organized."

All three of my girls were schooled for the most part in the public school system. I was schooled in the public school system. I can tell you that if your children are also schooled in the public school system, you had better be doing a lot at home to balance the secular humanistic views that they are being bombarded with for 7 hours a day 5 days a week. And honestly, in most of our homes, we don't have 35 hours a week with our children. This is scary. This year Mariah went off to a secular university and I pray continually for her there. More than 50% children reared in God centered homes lose their faith in college. My daughter through my own ignorance was not reared in a God centered home. What are her chances of coming out of there unscathed? I don't know, but I know they are better if I pray.

LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our government and school systems have become an abomination unto God. They change history in order to pratice their hatred of God. I pray when I have children that I can afford a good Christian school or to home school them. My going to public schools even 20-30 years ago played a profund role in many problems I had and many sins I found myself involved in.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It never ceases to amaze me how society today says we are to be tolerant of everything, except Christianity. [Frown]

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 9 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Maryland and I’d just like to say: THANK YOU FATHER GOD!!!!! For giving us a Christian School to send our son to and allowing us the ability to afford it! Praise You Holy Father!!! [clap2] [clap2] [clap2]

I Pray for all my Brothers and Sisters who are forced to send their children to public school [Frown]

This is Truly Sad!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,139304,00.html

Students Free to Thank Anybody, Except God

Monday, November 22, 2004

By Laurel Lundstrom

Fox News

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Maryland public school students are free to thank anyone they want while learning about the 17th century celebration of Thanksgiving (search) — as long as it's not God.

And that is how it should be, administrators say.

Young students across the state read stories about the Pilgrims (search) and Native Americans, simulate Mayflower (search) voyages, hold mock feasts and learn about the famous meal that temporarily allied two very different groups.

But what teachers don't mention when they describe the feast is that the Pilgrims not only thanked the Native Americans for their peaceful three-day indulgence, but repeatedly thanked God.

"We teach about Thanksgiving from a purely historical perspective, not from a religious perspective," said Charles Ridgell, St. Mary's County Public Schools curriculum and instruction director.

School administrators statewide agree, saying religion never coincides with how they teach Thanksgiving to students.

Too much censorship can compromise a strong curriculum, some educators said.

"Schools don't want to do anything that would influence or act against the religious preferences of their students," said Lissa Brown, Maryland State Teacher's Association assistant executive director. "But the whole subject of religious toleration is a part of our history and needs to be taught."

Brown, a former social studies teacher, said she was surprised to hear schools aren't teaching about the Pilgrims' faith in God.

Teaching about a secular Thanksgiving counters the holiday's original premise as stated by George Washington in his Thanksgiving Day proclamation: "It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor."

Such omissions also deny the Pilgrims' religious fervor in the celebration of Thanksgiving, as related by Harry Hornblower, an archaeologist who spent years researching the history of the holiday.

According to the Web site Plimoth.org, dedicated to Hornblower's research, the Pilgrims "fell upon their knees and blessed the God of heaven who had brought them over the vast and furious ocean."

Thanksgiving, the site said, derived from their belief that "a series of misfortunes meant that God was displeased, and the people should both search for the cause and humble themselves before him. Good fortune, on the other hand, was a sign of God's mercy and compassion, and therefore he should be thanked and praised."

But researchers like Hornblower aren't mentioned in classrooms. "We don't focus on religion, because it is not a part of our curriculum," said Sandra Grulich, Cecil County Schools' elementary school curriculum coordinator.

Opponents of censorship worry that by omitting such religious material from lesson plans, educators are compromising their students' education.

"School administrators need to get a backbone," said Joel Whitehead, president and lawyer at the Rutherford Institute, a constitutional rights defense organization. "We are in real danger of throwing out cultural heritage in our country if we don't know what Thanksgiving is really about."

Mentioning that the Pilgrims were Puritan is about as close as most administrators are willing to step to integrate religion into their curriculums.

"We mention they were Puritan but students usually just understand that they had a belief system and not much more than that," said Carol Williamson, Queen Anne's County Schools' associate superintendent.

Thanksgiving is usually taught as a part of social studies and emphasizes cultural immersion.

"The Pilgrim Story is read in Spanish and English," said Alfreda Adams, principal at Mills-Parole Elementary School in Anne Arundel County where 70 Hispanic students attend. "We make sure that we celebrate all cultures."

The Mayflower, Pilgrims, Native Americans become enduring symbols to students before the two-day hiatus they are granted each year to spend time with their families.

"In elementary school we learned that the Pilgrims came to the Indians and they all had a feast," said Emmanuel Cobington, 13, a seventh-grader at Annapolis Middle School.

Emmanuel said his teachers never mentioned that the holiday was religious, but he added that he learns about different denominations in some of his classes.

"We learn about different religions like Judaism and Christianity in our social studies classes," he said.

Whitehead advocates for more classes like Emmanuel's and says it is harmful to students when administrators censor curriculums for fear of offending someone.

"Education is inevitably going to offend someone," said Whitehead. "We need to get beyond being politically correct, or everything will be glossed over."

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement