Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Urantia: Religion or Cult?

Author Topic: Urantia: Religion or Cult?
Ripp
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, has this thread gone weird since I last checked. It's amazing at how fast the apostacy is happening while some people, namely on this BBS, are supporting it or ignoring it. One thought for those who want to be tolerant and allow false doctrines and cults to persist:

quote:
1 Now when the people saw that Moses delayed coming down from the mountain, the people gathered together to Aaron, and said to him, "Come, make us gods that shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him." 2And Aaron said to them, "Break off the golden earrings which are in the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me." 3So all the people broke off the golden earrings which were in their ears, and brought them to Aaron. 4And he received the gold from their hand, and he fashioned it with an engraving tool, and made a molded calf. Then they said, "This is your god, O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt!" 5So when Aaron saw it, he built an altar before it. And Aaron made a proclamation and said, "Tomorrow is a feast to the LORD." 6Then they rose early on the next day, offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. 7And the LORD said to Moses, "Go, get down! For your people whom you brought out of the land of Egypt have corrupted themselves. 8They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them. They have made themselves a molded calf, and worshiped it and sacrificed to it, and said, "This is your god, O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt!"' 9And the LORD said to Moses, "I have seen this people, and indeed it is a stiff-necked people! 10Now therefore, let Me alone, that My wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them. And I will make of you a great nation." [Exodus 32:1-10]
For those of you who are preaching tolerance, you should take these passages to heart. Maybe you could try and be a little bit more like Moses and less like Aaron. We are called to lead people to Jesus, not the golden calf. I can see that some of you have alterior motives here, but I have seen that since I got here. Satan attacks in all forms and ways, but I can see it as well as most others here. [Bible] [Cross] [Prayer]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niedziejkore:
yeah, but isn't tolerance alright sometimes? It's like you don't want to tolerate ANYBODY. These Uratians or whatever... they're just harmless nerds. What danger do they pose to you? No danger.

Christianity requires that we differentiate ourselves from the rest of the world and remain obedient to God, keeping our eye on Christ.

You're right. To mature Christians, these folks are no threat. But they do pose a spiritual danger to themselves and to new Christians.

I guess we do seem intolerant to the extent that we are inflexible in our fidelity to one God and our insistence that Jesus Christ is the only way for reconciliation with God. But that's what the Bible teaches, and we chose to believe it. Perhaps in the wisdom of this age we can't impose our beliefs on others, but if this is an age of tolerance, then why are we constantly being called to apologize for our beliefs? As I stated on another board, if we Christians are offensive to you, just ignore us. If you don't think the Bible has God-given authority, ignore it. God is the one who does the calling; we are told to be witnesses.

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

Posts: 345 | From: Rochester NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

yeah, but isn't tolerance alright sometimes? It's like you don't want to tolerate ANYBODY. These Uratians or whatever... they're just harmless nerds. What danger do they pose to you? No danger.

If you're seriously preaching intolerance, you are evil. Christians don't crucify others.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
We are to judge with righteous judgement.

We are to stand against those who are evil and would deceive and lead the unwary astray to utter destruction. The WORD of God is the yardstick by which we judge between what is of God and what is of the god of this world, the deceiver.

Many have been deceived by the Urantia cult and are even now lost forever. We must stand against this iniquity.

2 Peter 2:
1: But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2: And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3: And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
4: For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
5: And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
6: And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
7: And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
8: (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)
9: The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
10: But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
11: Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
12: But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
13: And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
14: Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
15: Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
16: But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb *** speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.
17: These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.
18: For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.
19: While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
20: For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21: For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22: But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

1 Cor. 5:
9: I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
10: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
11: But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
12: For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
13: But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

1 Cor. 2:
9: But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10: But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11: For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12: Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13: Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14: But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15: But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16: For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

2 Timothy 3:
16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rev. 2

To the church in Ephesus

1"To the angel[1] of the church in Ephesus write:
These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands: 2I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false.

To the Church in Thyatira

18"To the angel of the church in Thyatira write:
These are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are like blazing fire and whose feet are like burnished bronze. 19I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first. 20Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. 21I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. 22So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. 23I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds. 24Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan's so-called deep secrets (I will not impose any other burden on you): 25Only hold on to what you have until I come. 26To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations—

Jesus is Very Clear here… we are Not To Tolerate False Teachers/Apostles, False Prophets, and those who would lead others into sexual immorality or worship of false gods. God is the Authority... either you Submit to His Commandments, or you disobey and pay the consequences. I will Submit to Him.

The only one I'm responsible for nailing to a Cross is Jesus because of my sin. Because he willing allowed himself to do that on behalf of all who will accept, repent and follow, I am washed clean of my sin.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

If you're seriously preaching intolerance, you are evil. Christians don't crucify others.

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave.

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Religion is man's attempt to reach God.

Jesus is God's attempt to reach man.

Urantia is a religion, and in fact a compilation of all of man's religions, even incorporating aspects of Christianity. It is absolutly a counterfeit abomination.

Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and the Bible is His Word for us, in which He is revealed to the hearts and lives of His children.

2 Timothy 3:
1: This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2: For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3: Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4: Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5: Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6: For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7: Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8: Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9: But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.
10: But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
11: Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12: Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
13: But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
14: But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
15: And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading Nedij.. post I have these comments:

The question ultimately comes down to this... "Do you LOVE your neighbor enough to let him/her know they're in danger of eternal damnation?"

This is that tolerance thing again. Tolerance is NOT Love. God tells us in Rev. NOT To Tolerate Jezebel (who led Israel into worshiping false gods). TRUE Love is Caring enough for another's Soul and their Eternal Destination to Councel them according to God's Written Word (the Scriptures/Bible). This is what a True Believer in and Disciple of Yeshua does. This is a Real Christian.

Having a Heart for the Lost is sometimes a hard thing to do, but it's the Right thing to do!

Another issue I see here is the idea that truth is subjective - it is not. There is only ONE Truth and that IS GOD and He has given us Truth in His Written Word. That is where you will find The Truth.

Now I guess I should answer the original post here huh? LOL. It's a False Religious Cult.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

ok, but this is America, where people are allowed to believe whatever crazy stuff they want to.

What's wrong with these people worshipping another god? It's their right.

oh yeah, right... there was a question: religion or cult?

I think that all depends on one's opinion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Folks have a right to drive off a bridge that is collapsed to their utter destruction also, but one would wish to guide them onto the detour and see them to safety. It is the right thing to do.

Man's rebellion against God has them on the road to that bridge. God has declared that only those who come to Jesus will make the detour to safety.

I have had a copy of the Urantia Book for at least 10 years now. I studied several sections when it was given to me. It is the true universalism, in that it incorporates all of the world religions, plus extra-terrestrials and ascendent "masters", into a hodge-podge of religous pablum of feel-good abomination.

John 3:
16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17: For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18: He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Romans 10:
9: That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10: For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

Israel
Advanced Member
Member # 3254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know Niedziejkore, that God is the creator of all things and countries. God did tell us not to have any other god's before Him, for He is a jeolous God, He wasn't just speaking to Israel, He is speaking to all nations, since He created all beings, therefore we should worship Him and Him alone, not another person, animal, thing or object. Those who practise such things will be judged and serverely. Niedziejkore, I am curious, would you bow your knee to something other than God? Just wondering, just because we live in the USA does not give us the right to worship anything other than God, God is the creator, not Budda, Mohammad or Allah. This nation will be judge if we continue on the path we are going, gaurantee!!!!

Israel

--------------------
Psalm 122:6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem; they shall prosper that love thee.

Posts: 97 | From: Indiana | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, but this is America, where people are allowed to believe whatever crazy stuff they want to.

What's wrong with these people worshipping another god? It's their right.

oh yeah, right... there was a question: religion or cult?

I think that all depends on one's opinion.

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave.

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ripp
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much longer will God put up with our 'golden calf' worshiping cults? So many are being led astray... [Frown]

quote:
7And the LORD said to Moses, "Go, get down! For your people whom you brought out of the land of Egypt have corrupted themselves. 8They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them. They have made themselves a molded calf, and worshiped it and sacrificed to it, and said, "This is your god, O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt!"' 9And the LORD said to Moses, "I have seen this people, and indeed it is a stiff-necked people! 10Now therefore, let Me alone, that My wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them. And I will make of you a great nation." [Exodus 32:7-10]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
URANTIA

Look out for these guys. They're making alot of waves these days.

quote:
Your world, Urantia, [Earth] is one of many similar inhabited planets which comprise the local universe of Nebadon. This universe, together with similar creations, makes up the superuniverse of Orvonton, from whose capital, Uversa, our commission hails. Divine Counselor
The URANTIA Book, Page 1

quote:
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
2 TIMOTHY 4:3,4

Introduction

The Urantia Book, Urantia Foundation, Urantia Fellowship, and the Urantia three concentric circle symbol above (Banner of Michael) represent a modern-day Arian/Gnostic cult. The group began in Chicago during the early 1930's among high-ranking members of the heretical Seventh Day Adventist1 sect. The cult gained increasing popularity during the hallucinogenic 1960s and 70s, as the interrelationships between drugs, the occult, metaphysics, and the New Age movement were being forged. Urantia is one of many New Age religious efforts to create spirituality within the context of the philosophic naturalism and modernism that pervades Western culture.2

The English word "Gnostic" comes from the Greek word gnosis, which means knowledge. Gnosticism is an ancient religion which, while altering its appearance down through history, always lays claim to special or secret knowledge based on extra-biblical revelations. Rightly considered a dangerous heresy, several New Testament epistles (Colossians and 1, 2, & 3 John) contain warnings against gnosticism. Arianism (Arius) - was a movement in the early church that believed God the Father alone was God, and that Jesus was a created being. It was declared heretical at the Council of Nicea in A.D. 325, and again at the Council of Constantinople in A.D. 381.

The followers of Urantia totally fail to understand the biblical concepts of canoncal revelation and dispensations. In their place, they substitute and apply the naturalistic concept of evolution to the realm of spirituality and religion. Judaism is not seen as God's special theonomic order among an elect, earthly people during ancient times, but rather a form of primitive religious consciousness. Later, Christianity evolves beyond Judaism in much the same way that Darwinist theory sees humans evolving from apes. Thus, the Urantia cult promotes itself as the most evolved form of religious consciousness, which to them is still ongoing. Accordingly, biblical Christians are often contemptuously viewed as unenlightened Neanderthals.

The Urantia Book (a.k.a. The Urantia Papers, "God's Bible", the Revelation), consisting of 2,097 six by eleven inch pages, was complied in 1934-35 and first copyrighted in 1955. It is a collection of 196 apocryphal "papers" (i.e. so-called revelations) said to be communicated by various "authors"--i.e. spirit beings who names are listed in the papers. The book's theme consists of highly detailed, mythology-like descriptions of (our) universe, surrounding universes, numerous extraterrestrial spirit beings which are said to inhabit these universes, the spiritual evolutionary history of planet earth (Urantia), and the life and teaching of a "Jesus", also called "Christ Michael", a "Creator Son". The Urantia Foundation has provided multiple copies of the cultic Urantia Book to libraries across the United States.

As part of the larger "Urantia Brotherhood", small groups of followers...Societies... hold regular, sometimes clandestine meetings "to study the book and ... pledge themselves to disseminate its teachings." These groups are found throughout the United States with large concentrations in AZ, CA, CO, FL, IL, OR, TX, and WA. Larger societies can typically be found in cities and towns which draw above-average numbers of New Age followers, e.g., San Francisco, CA; Boulder, CO; Sedona, AZ, etc.

Legitimate Religion or Satan-Inspired Cult?

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

Posts: 345 | From: Rochester NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement