Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » ACLU and the attack on God.

Author Topic: ACLU and the attack on God.
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i should mention that i also think the ACLU is going quite overboard with this issue.

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave.

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niedziejkore:
For those of you who have convinced yourselves our founding fathers never wanted a separation of church and state, i've a little something for you.

Thomas Jefferson:

quote:
The clergy, by getting themselves established by law and ingrafted into the machine of government, have been a very formidable engine against the civil and religious rights of man (Letter to J. Moor, 1800).
quote:
The clergy...believe that any portion of power confided to me [as President] will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion (Letter to Benjamin Rush, 1800).
quote:
History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes (Letter to von Humboldt, 1813).
quote:
In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own (Letter to H. Spafford, 1814).
So, all you history buffs are going to say, "well, Thomas Jefferson really wasn't that important of a figure in writing the constitution. To that, I say, listen to what the big guy, James Madison said:

quote:
Congress should not establish a religion and enforce the legal observation of it by law, nor compel men to worship God in any manner contary to their conscience, or that one sect might obtain a pre-eminence, or two combined together, and establish a religion to which they would compel others to conform (Annals of Congress, Sat Aug 15th, 1789 pages 730 - 731).
quote:
The settled opinion here is, that religion is essentially distinct from civil Government, and exempt from its cognizance; that a connection between them is injurious to both; that there are causes in the human breast which ensure the perpetuity of religion without the aid of the law; that rival sects, with equal rights, exercise mutual censorships in favor of good morals; that if new sects arise with absurd opinions or over-heated imaginations, the proper remedies lie in time, forbearance, and example; that a legal establishment of religion without a toleration could not be thought of, and with a toleration, is no security for and animosity; and, finally, that these opinions are supported by experience, which has shewn that every relaxation of the alliance between law and religion, from the partial example of Holland to the consummation in Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, &c., has been found as safe in practice as it is sound in theory. Prior to the Revolution, the Episcopal Church was established by law in this State. On the Declaration of Independence it was left, with all other sects, to a self-support. And no doubt exists that there is much more of religion among us now than there ever was before the change, and particularly in the sect which enjoyed the legal patronage. This proves rather more than that the law is not necessary to the support of religion (Letter to Edward Everett, Montpellier, March 18, 1823).
*phew* ok, one more. Why do i have to do all this research? Only because i've grown to hate misinformation.

quote:
Notwithstanding the general progress made within the two last centuries in favour of this branch of liberty, and the full establishment of it in some parts of our country, there remains in others a strong bias towards the old error, that without some sort of alliance or coalition between Government and Religion neither can be duly supported. Such, indeed, is the tendency to such a coalition, and such its corrupting influence on both the parties, that the danger cannot be too carefully guarded against. And in a Government of opinion like ours, the only effectual guard must be found in the soundness and stability of the general opinion on the subject. Every new and successful example, therefore, of a perfect separation between the ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance; and I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together. It was the belief of all sects at one time that the establishment of Religion by law was right and necessary; that the true religion ought to be established in exclusion of every other; and that the only question to be decided was, which was the true religion. The example of Holland proved that a toleration of sects dissenting from the established sect was safe, and even useful. The example of the colonies, now States, which rejected religious establishments altogether, proved that all sects might be safely and even advantageously put on a footing of equal and entire freedom; and a continuance of their example since the Declaration of Independence has shown that its success in Colonies was not to be ascribed to their connection with the parent country. if a further confirmation of the truth could be wanted, it is to be found in the examples furnished by the States which had abolished their religious establishments. I cannot speak particularly of any of the cases excepting that of Virginia, where it is impossible to deny that religion prevails with more zeal and a more exemplary priesthood than it ever did when established and patronized by public authority. We are teaching the world the great truth, that Governments do better without kings and nobles than with them. The merit will be doubled by the other lesson: the Religion flourishes in greater purity without, than with the aid of Government (Letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822).

I decided to leave your whole post as it is very good. [Smile]

It does highlight the other side of the Freedom of Religion/speech and Separation issue, and I don't believe I gave misinformation, but I did fail to write a thesis on this lengthy topic. I was mostly addressing the things brought up by Ripp and how things have gotten outen of balance.

As you point out the fear is that the balance could shift to a Church run State of Powers.

I do not want a Church State, and neither to most people who are rightly concerned about the bias toward anything Christian being brought to view in the public arena. I want Freedom of Religion for all in our country and would be against any Church run government.

But by banning full free speech within churches from discussing political concerns and banning any public official from mentioning God goes too far and it certainly doesn't set up a Church State.

You probably are aware why the founders were concerned about a Church state. England and most of Europe functioned that way, and especially England since the days of Henry the 8th when he established the Church of England, and he the king was head of the church as well as the government.

If I'm off center again, I hope you will let me know. I could go searching for the Inaugural Addresses of George Washington in full text, not the abreviated texts as he even stated that liberty could not be kept if people didn't keep to Judeo-Christian values. It's huge topic to say the least.

I think the most important thing to realize, is that balance needs to be the key here. It can't be allowed to ban free speech or religious practices/ or one religion can't be allowed to be a state religion.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who have convinced yourselves our founding fathers never wanted a separation of church and state, i've a little something for you.

Thomas Jefferson:

quote:
The clergy, by getting themselves established by law and ingrafted into the machine of government, have been a very formidable engine against the civil and religious rights of man (Letter to J. Moor, 1800).
quote:
The clergy...believe that any portion of power confided to me [as President] will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion (Letter to Benjamin Rush, 1800).
quote:
History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes (Letter to von Humboldt, 1813).
quote:
In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own (Letter to H. Spafford, 1814).
So, all you history buffs are going to say, "well, Thomas Jefferson really wasn't that important of a figure in writing the constitution. To that, I say, listen to what the big guy, James Madison said:

quote:
Congress should not establish a religion and enforce the legal observation of it by law, nor compel men to worship God in any manner contary to their conscience, or that one sect might obtain a pre-eminence, or two combined together, and establish a religion to which they would compel others to conform (Annals of Congress, Sat Aug 15th, 1789 pages 730 - 731).
quote:
The settled opinion here is, that religion is essentially distinct from civil Government, and exempt from its cognizance; that a connection between them is injurious to both; that there are causes in the human breast which ensure the perpetuity of religion without the aid of the law; that rival sects, with equal rights, exercise mutual censorships in favor of good morals; that if new sects arise with absurd opinions or over-heated imaginations, the proper remedies lie in time, forbearance, and example; that a legal establishment of religion without a toleration could not be thought of, and with a toleration, is no security for and animosity; and, finally, that these opinions are supported by experience, which has shewn that every relaxation of the alliance between law and religion, from the partial example of Holland to the consummation in Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, &c., has been found as safe in practice as it is sound in theory. Prior to the Revolution, the Episcopal Church was established by law in this State. On the Declaration of Independence it was left, with all other sects, to a self-support. And no doubt exists that there is much more of religion among us now than there ever was before the change, and particularly in the sect which enjoyed the legal patronage. This proves rather more than that the law is not necessary to the support of religion (Letter to Edward Everett, Montpellier, March 18, 1823).
*phew* ok, one more. Why do i have to do all this research? Only because i've grown to hate misinformation.

quote:
Notwithstanding the general progress made within the two last centuries in favour of this branch of liberty, and the full establishment of it in some parts of our country, there remains in others a strong bias towards the old error, that without some sort of alliance or coalition between Government and Religion neither can be duly supported. Such, indeed, is the tendency to such a coalition, and such its corrupting influence on both the parties, that the danger cannot be too carefully guarded against. And in a Government of opinion like ours, the only effectual guard must be found in the soundness and stability of the general opinion on the subject. Every new and successful example, therefore, of a perfect separation between the ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance; and I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together. It was the belief of all sects at one time that the establishment of Religion by law was right and necessary; that the true religion ought to be established in exclusion of every other; and that the only question to be decided was, which was the true religion. The example of Holland proved that a toleration of sects dissenting from the established sect was safe, and even useful. The example of the colonies, now States, which rejected religious establishments altogether, proved that all sects might be safely and even advantageously put on a footing of equal and entire freedom; and a continuance of their example since the Declaration of Independence has shown that its success in Colonies was not to be ascribed to their connection with the parent country. if a further confirmation of the truth could be wanted, it is to be found in the examples furnished by the States which had abolished their religious establishments. I cannot speak particularly of any of the cases excepting that of Virginia, where it is impossible to deny that religion prevails with more zeal and a more exemplary priesthood than it ever did when established and patronized by public authority. We are teaching the world the great truth, that Governments do better without kings and nobles than with them. The merit will be doubled by the other lesson: the Religion flourishes in greater purity without, than with the aid of Government (Letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822).

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave.

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Endoxos
Advanced Member
Member # 2929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endoxos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once wrote to the ACLU, regarding Judge Thomas Moore (no relation). They said, in a personalized letter, essentially, "We have to stick up for the little guy. Because the US is Christian dominant, we represent the minority religions and cultures. And they might be offended seeing 'Thou shalt have no other gods before Me' in a government place that's supposed to be neutral ground".

I turned around and asked, nutshelled, "Why, then, is there a statue or symbol of Themis on every courthouse in America? The Greek gods are represented, but the One True God is not. We Christians have become the minority, and the Grecian religion has become the majority. Will you support us, then?".

I got an automated reply back, "Thank you for your input. We don't have time to reply to each and every email we receive".

Chickens.

--------------------
My signature is apisdn umop.

Posts: 362 | From: HELP! I'm stuck in a DOS window! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Ripp:

There is a web site called ACLJ. (The American Center of Law and Justice) It's a Christian based organization that fights for these types of Church/State Issues. Here's the link it has lots of informative and accurate information of this subject.

http://www.aclj.org/

Church Leaders of any denomination are afraid to speak much on political issues of moral concerns due to the IRS laws concerning the Church's 501c status to be a non-profit exempt status from taxes organization under Charities.

Basically one would need to decide to be exempt from not getting taxed to have the freedom of speech to address political social issues from the pulpit. Church leaders have gone along with this for years so they won't be taxed, so they have consented to be stiffled in Religious Free speech.

IMO, the IRS shouldn't have the right to limit free speech in any way for the church. The designation of being a nonprofit and charity should be based on what that church does, not on it's beliefs.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 8 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ripp:And when was the last time you heard your priest, minister or rabbi talk about this? For me the answer is simple. Never.

Since the 1961 School Prayer ruling by the Supreme Court, our countrymen have been fed a lie about Separation of Church and State.

Our founding fathers such as Jefferson, Washington, Madison, never used the phrase "separation of church and state" in the Constitution.

What is used is a letter that Jefferson wrote to a group of Baptists who were concerned that the STATE or federal government would interfer with their faith and beliefs. Jefferson mentioned the separation, that keeps the State from interferring with their freedom of religion as outlined in the First Amendment.

So now we have a good many well meaning, but ignorant Americans that believe the lies from those who want to change what the founders of America started. Separation of Church and State is a mantra chanted by those who want to erricate any morals or biblical beliefs from the State completely. They don't want any moral laws based on the Judeo-Christian values at all.

The truth of what the Constitution and our founders established was the "Separation of Powers" within the State. We have 3 branches of Government. Judicial, Executive and Legislative.
Each branch is to be a overseeing and balancing factor on the others to prevent all the Power of governmental bodies to be in only one place.

Now we are seeing the balance of power given to the Judicial System, which is not correct according to the Constitution. Judges are not to make new laws, but only interpret existing laws, and inforce the existing laws enacted by the Legislative Branch.

Our Legislative Branch is so divided and weakened by partisianship, that they aren't accomplishing their part effectively, and the judges are overstepping their boundaries way over the line.

Anyway I'll stop on that aspect. My point is that it's not Separation of Church and State it's supposed to be the Separation of Designated Powers within the 3 Branches.

Ripp
unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another Victory for the ACLU and its War on Christianity
Monday, June 28, 2004
By Bill O'Reilly

Another victory for the ACLU and its war on Christianity. That is the subject of this evening's "Talking Points Memo."

Take a good look at the county seal in Los Angeles, because it's about to change. Supervisors voted 3 to 2 to cave into the ACLU's demands that the small cross on the right be removed. And it soon will be, even though it's been there for 47 years.

The ACLU's Los Angeles director Ramona Richardson (search) says the cross makes some Angelinos feel "unwelcome." Seeing people point out that the cross signifies the historical founding of Los Angeles by Catholic missionaries. That historical argument seems to have some merit, because a few hundred miles north of L.A., federal Judge Phyllis Hamilton (search) recently ruled that seventh graders at a Contra Costa County school could be forced to say Muslim prayers in a history class for the sake of history.

By the way, just yesterday, Judge Hamilton declared the law banning partial birth abortion unconstitutional, thereby wiping out the will of the president, Congress, and the vast majority of Americans.

Of course, Judge Hamilton knows far more about the constitution than anyone. And it would be interesting to see how this woman would rule if a public school history teacher forced his or her students to say Christian prayers. I'm sure the judge would support that, just as she supports Muslim prayers.

Judge Hamilton and the ACLU are part of the anti-Christian cabal in America that sees the Christian majority as oppressors. That's because Judeo-Christian philosophy requires judgments about wrong and right and personal behavior. The secularists deplore that. These people know they can never impose their secular agenda on this country, while Judeo-Christian philosophy dominates the philosophical arena.

They want an open society, where anything goes, including legalized drugs, any kind of abortion, euthanasia, gay marriage, and explicit images, a speech on the public airways. The harsh truth is that many American Christians don't really care about what's happening.Unless America's tradition of opposing these kinds of behaviors is changed, the secularist agenda will never become a reality. So diminishing any Christian display in public is the goal. And encouraging alternative thought, like Muslim prayers helps that goal.

L.A. County could have fought the ACLU using lawyers at the Thomas More Law Center (search). And the Alliance Defense Fund would have taken the case for free.

But there's little outcry from the Christians of Southern California to fight. And so, the ACLU wins again. "Talking Points" wants you to know that we are rapidly losing freedom in America. Judges are overruling the will of the people. And fascist organizations like the ACLU are imposing their secular will.

And when was the last time you heard your priest, minister or rabbi talk about this? For me the answer is simple. Never.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,124012,00.html

I'm so glad we have the ACLU to stick up for our rights... [Roll Eyes]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement