Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Pope John Paul II and his chair

Author Topic: Pope John Paul II and his chair
Israel
Advanced Member
Member # 3254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your replies, I guess I never thought much about the rainbow,(other than how it is the promise from God, but others use it for their own) or the swatstika what it meant during it's time, but as long as we know what the Cross really stands for, then that is all that matters.

Marilyn

--------------------
Psalm 122:6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem; they shall prosper that love thee.

Posts: 97 | From: Indiana | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the article to which you provided the link explains the Christian origins of the inverted cross and it's link to the Pope, whom Roman Catholics claim is the successor to Peter. I also think people can come up with any number of reasons to assert something other than the article's rather wordy explanation.

Let's face it, symbols can be used and misused. The Nazi swatstika was derived from a nordic symbol of brotherhood and peace. The Cross itself is used by the KKK. The five pointed star is used to represent each of our 50 states, law enforcement, or witchcraft. One can use the same symbol for good and evil - think of the different uses of the rainbow...

There's lots of valid complaints against the Roman Catholic Church; we don't need to lessen the perceived validity of those issues by adding things like this. It is at best (or worst?) a distractor.

Dan S

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well like the rest of us. Paul felt he was not worthy to die as the savor of his people (Like Jesus died) so he asked to be crucified upside down.

As for the Catholic Church using this, I see no harm in giving due to one of the authors of the Bible. We preach the words he wrote (as inspired by God) I see no sin in giving the man his due in this world.

I can only assume, the Pope feels a link to Paul, not worthy to be the savor (Jesus) but feels inspired by God to spread the Gospel of Christ and God.

I guess the upside down cross is to say “The man that sits here is not Christ, but a messenger”

Tyme

--------------------
I dream of a world.......

Posts: 527 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Advanced Member
Member # 3254

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Israel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everone I am new and I love Jesus and Israel!

My question is: Why does the Pope have an inverted cross on the back of his chair [Confused]
http://www.shasta.com/sphaws/invertedcross.html

I know that some say it is because Jesus told Peter that he would be the one to build his church, but Peter didn't die for all mankind, Jesus did. So why not have a upright cross on his chair? I believe we are living in the last days and I also believe that when Pope John Paul II passes away,(and I hope it will be along while), that the false prophet will take his place. Just my thinking, anyway. I mean no disrepect to the Catholic Church, but I was just wondering [Smile]

Marilyn

--------------------
Psalm 122:6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem; they shall prosper that love thee.

Posts: 97 | From: Indiana | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement