Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Cult Recruiters on the Internet

Author Topic: Cult Recruiters on the Internet
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the obvious reasons you can't name the commune group?

This is a message board, not FOX News.

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave.

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula
Advanced Member
Member # 551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
I feel the Mormon are also a cult. They trick people by their commercials on tv. They talk about how that they believe in Jesus and even give the Bible away but they dont tell you that they do not believe that Jesus is saviour.

Very true; I live in an area with a lot of Mormons. They also have a very active ministry geared towards the youth, but so far, I haven't run across any of them recruiting on-line.
Posts: 90 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soulbear
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paula:

(Extra Deleted)

For obvious reasons, I won't name the site or group, but here's an excerpt of typical dialogue where young people on a Christian website are being encouraged to join a commune by members of this counterculture:

A: Anyone read this article? **********
Thought it expressed why I joined ******* 25 years ago. What do you think?
(old Jesus Freak)

I would like someone to tell me in email the name of the group.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula
Advanced Member
Member # 551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your responses. While I hate to sterotype all communes as cults, just be forewarned if you have teenage children, grandchildren, etc. who visit Christian sites, there are people working/lurking in groups for the purpose of recruiting members.

After doing some research, I found this particular group endorses giving away all personal possessions, helping the needy, sick and elderly, etc., which all sounds very innocent at first blush, but there's more:

They also condone homosexuality and free sex amongst members, communication with family is restricted, corporal punishment is inflicted by group leaders, etc. This controversial group is also listed as a cult in the Christian Apologetics Index and have been investigated in the past for drug use, psychological/spiritual abuse and inappropriate sexual activity.

For obvious reasons, I won't name the site or group, but here's an excerpt of typical dialogue where young people on a Christian website are being encouraged to join a commune by members of this counterculture:

A: Anyone read this article? **********
Thought it expressed why I joined ******* 25 years ago. What do you think?
(old Jesus Freak)

B: the article says ******** is still in operation. You still with them? I thought this kind of community living mostly died out 20 years ago or so. Glad to hear the idea is being revived.

C: Thanks for the link to the article, it was excellent. My own faith journey has been greatly influenced by the work of ******** and I have spent many productive and wonderful hours THERE. My wife and I along with 6 of our friends also lived in community for three years in the mid ninties, with much help and guidance from ****

D: This is hard for me to reply because I have had personal experience of "community" living, and even though it was way back in my past, 13 years in fact, it's still upsetting to talk about it.

I lived in a large household, just one of many that belong to the very well off ********, formerly, the ************.

I initially went to visit them and ended up living with them for (on and off) 3 years. Communes are not always what they appear to be. I have the mental scars to prove it.

Many have sought counselling due to the trauma involved upon leaving a commune, particularly those that are cult like.

I can only ask you to be extremely cautious if you are considering this way of life for yourself and I ask you to ensure that you do not leave yourself without a way out. I gave up my home, my job, everything... and when I finally left, I had only the clothes I stood up in.

====================
A: Should Christians live in a commune? I think that it would be really fun to live in a commune with a bunch of true believing Christians. I think that we could encourage one another. Our children could grow up learning to trust people and they would not have to be afraid of playing outside. Everyone would look out for each other. It would be even better if we could have a school taught by all Christians there on the grounds. We also wouldn't have to worry about people wearing skimpy clothes around. No one would want to possibly hurt another by making them lust in their heart. Now don't get me wrong we would not be in the clothes that you see muslim women wearing. We just wouldn't wear stuff that is skimpy.

B: I've thought about communes a lot, and I don't think they're a bad idea, if they are made up of people who all get along well together. A Christian commune would be a great idea!

C: Actually, for a great example of the idea of a "Christian commune" doing a lot of good, look no further than {name and website given} began in the 70s with a bunch of folks from the ********, now they're around 500 strong and living in what was once a hotel in downtown Chicago. The operate numerous community outreaches and ministries, several businesses to support themselves with and publish *********

So can it be done, and well? Sure :-) I've talked to folks who live there and they'll fully admit it's not easy sometimes, but I think over the years they've certainly borne fruit :-)

D: Thanks, *******. Question have you ever visited there? If so what is it like?

E: I havn't actually visited myself, but I have been to the ******** several times and I have a friend who lives there, plus I've talked to others who do.... if you're looking for some insight into what it's like, there's a regular column in ********** about just that, and it'll tell you more than I can personally :-) Their faith statement and so forth are also availible there. (heck, I recommend just poking around the site some anyway, there's a lot of good reading there...)

F: We have friends that live at **********. A friend of ours was a political leader in a lower 48 state and moved up there to live in this group. We didn't see it as a good thing because he worked for 10% of his income (the other 90% went to them) and then worked evenings and weekends to support the farm.

G: I will go ahead and tell you, we showcase a lot of music that you don't normally hear on Christian radio; punk, hardcore, metal, folk, techno, gothic/industrial..... **** were regulars years before they hit it big.... that's not to say that folks like ******** don't play, but there's TONS more variety than you see at other fests.... upwards of 150 bands total, plus tons of activities,workshops and speakers, over 5 days, with around 30,000 people. It is truly an experience I recommend to anyone.

Posts: 90 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, don't they call it "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints"?

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave.

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 9 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the Mormon are also a cult. They trick people by their commercials on tv. They talk about how that they believe in Jesus and even give the Bible away but they dont tell you that they do not believe that Jesus is saviour.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula
Advanced Member
Member # 551

Icon 20 posted      Profile for Paula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a problem that's been around for some time, but it wasn't until recently that I became aware of it through first-hand dealings with one of them on another site. Unfortunately, the thread is now gone, and I have no evidence, although I did report it to the site owner.

These recruiters primarily target young (even under-aged) Christians to join their communes. They are very subtle masters of their craft. They generally challenge ("attack" may be a better word) traditional Bible-based beliefs and organized churches; they also play on the young person's parental rebellion to win their confidence and gain control. Other than reporting this kind of recruitment activity to the site owner and moderators when we come across it, I don't know what else we can do. I know the word "cult" is controversial and upsets many people, but when they target our young and entice them into joining communes, we need to take it very seriously, so I thought I'd spread the word to be on the lookout.

Your input, thoughts, comments, etc. would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement