Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » On the Mel Gibson Interview with Diane Sawyer

Author Topic: On the Mel Gibson Interview with Diane Sawyer
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus is the only way to God because of what he DID, not because of what he said. He did say, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (Jn 14:6). But He is the only sinless person who died on a cross to pay God's price for sin. The evidence that God accepted his willing sacrifice is seen in his resurrection from his tomb. His identity as Lord, God in the flesh, was affirmed by the disciples because they saw "his glory" (Jn 1:14). They saw his resurrected body and his ascension "up into heaven" (Lk 24:51). His statements about being one with the Father (Jn 10:30)and "anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" (Jn 14:9)would have been the the blasphemous claims of a crazy man apart from what he did. Paul explains this very plainly in his letter to the Philippians (Phil 1:6-11).I hope that this adds some helpful commentary to this discussion.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS. like I said before; I like Jesus of Nazareth, It is just some thing that have been in my heart for quite some time...

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you! that have those views, how many see it and thinks that is Christ? Many do!
I my self know that no characters is Christ, but my point was on Exo 20:4

--------------------

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Waterdog
Advanced Member
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waterdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac, if you are worshipping the image on the screen, then shame on you. I, for one, watched the movie knowing full well it was an actor, and that he was not to be worshipped.

--------------------
So let us go forth to Him outside the camp (Heb 13:11-14)
 -  -

Posts: 374 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one thing that keeps coming to me even do I like Jesus of Nazareth, and are this....

Exo 20:3 You shall have no other gods before Me.
Exo 20:4 You shall not make to yourselves any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

... These characters that portrait Jesus is impersonating Him as an image!

... We are leaning to this image as if it where Christ and give that person honor and worship.

--------------------

Stars
Member # 2978

Icon 20 posted      Profile for Stars         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was so odd when I read the quote at MSNBC that Gibson would believe his wife knew Jesus, but he didn't think she would make it to Heaven because of what his particular church thought. That seems like such a contradiction. I do believe that God's hand was in making the movie, but that Gibson is just a man with his own strengths and faults. I believe there is much blessing coming through the movie, despite the fact that it looks like Gibson would believe very few if any of us here, if any, would make it to heaven by those standards.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trafield
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
While this statement is truth, it might be well said that one would clarify the word "God".. these days the word does not carry the meaning that is in our hearts..The Mulsims worship god.
The "all inclusive religions" worship god.

And I understand what you are saying also...however, what we think has nothing to do with who God is. He is the great I am. You cannot get any clearer than saying Jesus is God. If the others you speak of believe in one God, then the Truth 'Jesus is God' says it all. If others happen to believe in a 'god' or other 'gods' than Jesus, then they simply do not know God.

quote:
one almost feels like he has to add that distinction.... The Almighty God or The God of Abraham, Issac & Jacob.

All one has to add is the name Jesus Christ. The Jews who do not believe in Jesus Christ also say they know the God of Abraham, Issac, & Jacob. Yet Jesus was clear that if they do not know Him, then they do not know the Father. This is because Jesus and the Father are one. There is by NO OTHER NAME by which men can be saved. Indeed, the Truth 'JESUS IS GOD' says it all. How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed?

Acts 4:10-12
10let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead—by this name this man stands here before you in good health.
11“He is the stone which was rejected by you, the builders, but which became the chief corner stone.
12“And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”

John 8:37-47
37“I know that you are Abraham’s descendants; yet you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you.
38“I speak the things which I have seen with My Father; therefore you also do the things which you heard from your father.”
39They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus *said to them, “If you are Abraham’s children, do the deeds of Abraham.
40“But as it is, you are seeking to kill Me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do.
41“You are doing the deeds of your father.” They said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God.”
42Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me.
43“Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.
44“You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

45“But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me.
46“Which one of you convicts Me of sin? If I speak truth, why do you not believe Me?
47“He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.”

Romans 10:14a
14How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiteralD
Advanced Member
Member # 2922

Icon 16 posted      Profile for LiteralD   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When all is said and done, Praise the Lord for he always draws a crowd.

--------------------
In God's Army

Posts: 25 | From: London, Ontario CANADA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trafield
unregistered

[Roll Eyes]
If you say so.

ps139
Advanced Member
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ps139     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trafield:
[QB]
quote:
Am I correct in saying that you believe that all those who have never had a chance to hear the gospel are damned to hell? And that all babies that die before they can speak and understand are damned to hell? and that all mentally disabled are damned to hell? They cannot understand the Trinity, they may not be aware that Jesus is God, even though it is not their fault.

No, you are not correct in your assumption.
Regardless, who are you to question God's calling or lack thereof?

Trafield I am done talking with you. You do not answer questions. And I am not questioning God, I am questioning you.

--------------------
It is an article of faith that Mary is Mother of the Lord and still a virgin. - Martin Luther

Posts: 143 | From: NJ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trafield
unregistered

quote:
Am I correct in saying that you believe that all those who have never had a chance to hear the gospel are damned to hell? And that all babies that die before they can speak and understand are damned to hell? and that all mentally disabled are damned to hell? They cannot understand the Trinity, they may not be aware that Jesus is God, even though it is not their fault.

No, you are not correct in your assumption.
Regardless, who are you to question God's calling or lack thereof?

Romans 9:14-22
14What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? May it never be!
15For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”
16So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy.

17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I raised you up, to demonstrate My power in you, and that My name might be proclaimed throughout the whole earth.”
18So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires.
19You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?”
20On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God?
The thing molded will not say to the molder, “Why did you make me like this,” will it?
21Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use?
22What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a deep and abiding concern at the ecumenicals who are flocking to and embracing this work filtered through the RCC, and which the Pope has declared it to be as it was.

Some of James White's "concerns" about Mel Gibson and his brand of christianity.

1. Mel is a pre-Vatican 2 Catholic and definitely believes, has stated unequivocally, that outside of the RCC there is no salvation.

2. The book Mel read that inspired him to write the movie was written by a 19th century nun who claimed to have experienced stigmata and had visions of what actually took place at Calvary including the pain Mary suffered as co-redemptrix. These visions were written down and became the book that inspired the movie.

3. Mel carries a relic from this woman, who is not yet a saint, in his pocket.

4. According to White, part of the reason that Mel is doing the movie is that he is doing the sacrament of penance, that this is the reason it is Mel's hands that hold the nails, Mel is still seeking relief from the guilt of his sin.

5. There are elements in the movie which hint at Mary being co-redemptrix and at transubstantiation, elements that will be obvious to a devout Catholic and probably be completely missed by an evangelical Protestant.

6. Mel had two priests flown in to the set in Italy to give mass each day to the whole crew. He flew these guys in from other countries, a demonstration of how much Mel is at odds with the Church of Rome - he couldn't find an acceptable priest in Italy.

7. White believes one of the results of the movie will be the conversion of marginal evangelicals to the RCC faith - one of the reasons he cites is the resurgence in popularity of that 19th century nuns book.

8. He compares Mel spiritually to a young Martin Luther still in the monastery spending hours in the confessional seeking relief from his sins that the sacraments and the church will never give him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ps139
Advanced Member
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ps139     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trafield, my problem is with your particular interpretation of the Word of God. In fact, your interpretation is much like Mel Gibson's, "There is no salvation outside the Church," the only difference being that you two have different definitions of the word "Church."

--------------------
It is an article of faith that Mary is Mother of the Lord and still a virgin. - Martin Luther

Posts: 143 | From: NJ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ps139
Advanced Member
Member # 2652

quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
[QB] Oh, this is so sad. Let us pray that Mel Gibson would come to know the Jesus Christ of the Bible and find peace in knowing his wife if she is a follower of Christ has salvation and there is salvation in NO other Name than Jesus.

Mel Gibson is a Christian. He has found Jesus. He errs in his view of how one is saved and by what means. I do pray for him that he learns that non-Catholics can be saved. I pray for his wife as well.

Just for the record, I would like to let everyone know that Gibson is a schismatic Catholic. If he went to my church, he would be denied Communion because he is not in Communion with the Church of Rome. He is Catholic much like our Eastern Orthodox brethren are Catholic - very similar theology, but not full members of the Catholic Church.

Gibson views my church as an apostate that went wrong after Vatican II. I think some reforms of Vatican II were over the top, but I do not go to the extremes of Gibson. His group has their own pope, and considers the Catholic pope to be false.

The true Catholic Church, of which Gibson is not a full member, teaches this in the Catechism regarding the salvation of non-Catholics:

"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his [Catholic] Church:

848 Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

"Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."

However, as much as I disagree with Gibson's theology (he might even say that I cannot be saved), I do not think that this strange view of his will be reflected in his movie. In fact I know it will not, or else the millions of Protestant churches who have bought out movie theatres would not have done so.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, this is so sad. Let us pray that Mel Gibson would come to know the Jesus Christ of the Bible and find peace in knowing his wife if she is a follower of Christ has salvation and there is salvation in NO other Name than Jesus. Salvation is not found in those who believe in the Roman Catholic Church but in Christ Jesus.

This is a heartbreaking statement of what an organization can do to deceive man.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCB
Community Member
Member # 2845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4224452/

Mel Gibson has come under fire for being hard on Jews in his
film "The Passion of the Christ" — but apparently, he feels that
Protestants are also doomed to damnation. In fact, it looks like
Gibson, a conservative Catholic, believes that his Episcopalian wife
could be going to hell.

Gibson was interviewed by the Herald Sun in Australia, and the
reporter asked the star if Protestants are denied eternal
salvation. "There is no salvation for those outside the Church,"
Gibson replied. "I believe it."

He elaborated: "Put it this way. My wife is a saint. She's a much
better person than I am. Honestly. She's, like, Episcopalian, Church
of England. She prays, she believes in God, she knows Jesus, she
believes in that stuff. And it's just not fair if she doesn't make
it, she's better than I am. But that is a pronouncement from the
chair. I go with it."

Gibson also said in the interview that he was nearly suicidal before
he made his controversial film. "I got to a very desperate place.
Very desperate. Kind of jump-out-of-a-window kind of desperate," he
said in the interview. "And I didn't want to hang around here, but I
didn't want to check out. The other side was kind of scary. And I
don't like heights, anyway. But when you get to that point where you
don't want to live, and you don't want to die, it's a desperate,
horrible place to be. And I just hit my knees. And I had to use `The
Passion of the Christ' to heal my wounds."

Gibson's rep wasn't available for comment.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trafield
unregistered

quote:
Do you really believe that people need to understand the dogma of the Trinity to be saved?
Yes. They need to believe that Jesus is God to be saved.

1 John 4:1-3
1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Matthew 7:21-23
21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Revelation 2:2-4
2I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: 3And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name’s sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted. 4Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. 5Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Your problem is with the Word of God, not mine.

ps139
Advanced Member
Member # 2652

quote:
What "god" would be these people be praying to? Whose will would they be seeking?

The only God.

quote:
The Word is clear if they do not know Jesus then they do not know God. There is no other name by which they can be saved.
Obviously, since Jesus IS God, then it is impossible to know God without knowing Jesus, and VICE VERSA. Do you really believe that people need to understand the dogma of the Trinity to be saved? That they need to pronounce the name "Jesus" ?

quote:
If they die without coming to Jesus then they are without excuse. This knowledge is within them for, as you said, God desires all to be saved. So who is responsible for one not seeking and finding the Truth? Would you blame God for this? [/QB]
You just said that whoever they call out to cannot possibly be the True, Triune God. Now you say they have no excuse for not knowing him. Get your thinking consistent.

--------------------

Trafield
unregistered

quote:
I do not believe anyone is damned to hell just for never hearing of Jesus. God extends his grace to whomever He chooses, and if some poor soul out there does not know what the Bible is, but he prays to God and seeks to do His will, I believe that person can be saved.
What "god" would be these people be praying to? Whose will would they be seeking?
The Word is clear if they do not know Jesus then they do not know God. There is no other name by which they can be saved.

Acts 4:8-12
8Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, 9If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; 10Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 12Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Romans 10:12
12For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. 18But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Romans 1:18-20
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

If they die without coming to Jesus then they are without excuse. This knowledge is within them for, as you said, God desires all to be saved. So who is responsible for one not seeking and finding the Truth? Would you blame God for this?

ps139
Advanced Member
Member # 2652

quote:
[QB]
quote:
I do not believe anyone is damned to hell just for never hearing of Jesus. God extends his grace to whomever He chooses, and if some poor soul out there does not know what the Bible is, but he prays to God and seeks to do His will, I believe that person can be saved. 1 Tim 2:4 - God desires all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

As I said in a previous post on antother thread, you seem to care more for your feelings than the Word.
And as I said, you seem to care more for your feelings than the Word as well. Especially when you read Scripture as if it were originally composed in modern English.

quote:
It really does not matter what you believe but what the Word of God says. Sure, God desires all to be saved, but we know from scripture that not all will be saved. Many will die in their sins.
When did I say that all would be saved? I never said nor implied it. The verses you quote below are the case for those not saved. Think of Rom. 1:21. What if they did not turn from God? What would happen then? It is obvious that God made Himself known to them, but they rejected Him. What if they had not rejected God?

--------------------

Trafield
unregistered

quote:
I do not believe anyone is damned to hell just for never hearing of Jesus. God extends his grace to whomever He chooses, and if some poor soul out there does not know what the Bible is, but he prays to God and seeks to do His will, I believe that person can be saved. 1 Tim 2:4 - God desires all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

As I said in a previous post on antother thread, you seem to care more for your feelings than the Word.
It really does not matter what you believe but what the Word of God says. Sure, God desires all to be saved, but we know from scripture that not all will be saved. Many will die in their sins.

John 8:24
24“Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

Romans 1:18-2:1-13
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

21For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22Professing to be wise, they became fools,
23and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.
24Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.
25For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural,
27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,
29being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips,
30slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents,
31without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful;
32and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

Chapter 2
1Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment, for in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.
2And we know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who practice such things.3But do you suppose this, O man, when you pass judgment on those who practice such things and do the same yourself, that you will escape the judgment of God?
4Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?5But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,
6who will render to each person according to his deeds:

7to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life;
8but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation.
9There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek,

10but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
11For there is no partiality with God.
12For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law;
13for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

ps139
Advanced Member
Member # 2652

quote:
[QB] I thought the interview went well and that Mel Gibson answered the questions brilliantly.... right until he answered that he believed that believing in Jesus was just one of the ways to get to Heaven.
It is amazing how a "Christian" can make a movie that so realistically portrays what it must have been like, only to undermine the incredible sacrifice of our Lord by stating that others can be saved without believing in Jesus!

I have a feeling that they edited ALL of what he said, so as to not "offend" many viewers. Prior to the interview I was under the impression that Gibson believed only Catholics could be saved..I have no idea what he believes.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so true Barry; one almost feels like he has to add that distinction.... The Almighty God or The God of Abraham, Issac & Jacob.

I feel like I cant say the Lord anymore, I have to say The Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord could be any number of things depending on who you are talking to!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to both of you and I am in Full Agreement!

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trafield states:

quote:
But in these last days, when the deceptions from the enemy are increasing, it is eternally important to KNOW who Jesus is. Jesus is God. This is why Jesus said that no one can come to the Father but by Him. This is why Jesus said that He and the Father are one. This is why Jesus said that if you knew Him you would know the Father. This is why Jesus said that many are on the wide road and will enter the broad gate that leads to destruction, while only a few will find the narrow road and enter the narrow gate that leads to eternal life.

Your right, it is important to know who Yahshua [Jesus] was and is. With (like you say) all the deception, lying spirits, and decievers one must define his of her terminology.

One statement that i might add to your post brother is where you specifically state:

quote:
Jesus is God.
While this statement is truth, it might be well said that one would clarify the word "God".. these days the word does not carry the meaning that is in our hearts..

The Mulsims worship god.
The "all inclusive religions" worship god.

i know what you mean, but this board goes around the world now in a matter of seconds..

So i would only add that here God is YaHWeH. YHWH or YHVH the God (Ruler, magistrate) of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob (Israel)..amen

[thumbsup2]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trafield
unregistered

I thought the interview went well and that Mel Gibson answered the questions brilliantly.... right until he answered that he believed that believing in Jesus was just one of the ways to get to Heaven.
It is amazing how a "Christian" can make a movie that so realistically portrays what it must have been like, only to undermine the incredible sacrifice of our Lord by stating that others can be saved without believing in Jesus!
Now I will still see this movie, as I know God can still use it for his good and could call many to salvation through this film. But in these last days, when the deceptions from the enemy are increasing, it is eternally important to KNOW who Jesus is. Jesus is God. This is why Jesus said that no one can come to the Father but by Him. This is why Jesus said that He and the Father are one. This is why Jesus said that if you knew Him you would know the Father. This is why Jesus said that many are on the wide road and will enter the broad gate that leads to destruction, while only a few will find the narrow road and enter the narrow gate that leads to eternal life.
Unfortunately, for Mr. Gibson, he is walking on the wide road that will lead him directly to Hell, for he apparently does not understand or believe that Jesus is God. For his sake, I pray that he is soon enlightened to the Truth.
We are told in 1 John 4:1-3 to test the spirits to see if they are of God, and that any spirit that does not acknowledge that Jesus has "come in the flesh" is not of God. This does not mean that all we have to do is believe he was born, but we have to belive that he is Emmanuel, which means "God with us." John 1:1-14 makes it clear that the Word was in the beginning , and that the Word was God, and that this Word became flesh in Jesus Christ.
Unfortunately you will not hear this from many Christians, who do not want to offend, or to take a stand on this critical issue, especially when the person who needs the correction has just directed a stunning and popular movie about Jesus Christ.
Go see this movie. But more importantly read your Bible and know who Jesus really is.
Jesus is God!

Tracy

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement