Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Berlusconi calls for a "Real European Government"

Author Topic: Berlusconi calls for a "Real European Government"
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
14.07.2003 - 09:47 CET
http://www.euobserver.com/index.phtml?sid=9&aid=12100

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SILVIO BERLUSCONI sees himself as the man to bring innovation to Europe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EUOBSERVER/ROME - The Italian Prime Minister and President of the European Council Silvio Berlusconi has floated the idea of creating a "real European government" composed of the Prime Ministers of Europe.

Mr Berlusconi told invited journalists on Friday(11 July), in Rome, that he believes the best way of combining national interest with European interests is to appoint Prime Ministers of EU Member States as EU Commissioners in Brussels, each representing his own country.

This would increase the amount of attention that national and European politicians give to the issues at hand according to the Prime Minister.

Mr Berlusconi claimed that he has already discussed this with Commission President Romano Prodi - who described it as "a wonderful idea".

According to reports, the Commission has said Mr Prodi did not say anything of the sort.

Mr Berlusconi's comments come just days after the Convention on the Future of Europe completed its part in creating a European constitution, a text meant to stand the test of the next 50 years.

Redemption
During his discussion with journalists Mr Berlusconi was again confronted with questions from the German press wanting him to explain attacks from Italian politicians on Germany and its people.

The Prime Minister fought back and confessed to being hurt by the criticism aimed at him by fellow journalists, Italians or foreigners.

"I have an image that I don't recognise" the politician told the press and said that when he reads the comments of the newspapers about his actions he thinks, "that must be another man!".

"I am a man of moderation and equilibrium", he also said, referring to comments about his unpredictability. "And if I seem unpredictable, this is because I innovate, in order to make things better".

Stefani's resignation
Mr Berlusconi also added that journalists should not return again to the Strasbourg incident - when the row between Germany and Italy began - because, in his opinion, the issue has "received too much attention already".

Yet Stefano Stefani, the Italian tourism minister who called German tourists "hyper-nationalistic blondes" resigned on Friday, on Mr Berlusconi's demand.

Mr Stefani's comments caused a diplomatic spat with Germany and infuriated the German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder, who promptly cancelled his planned summer holiday in Italy.

Mr Berlusconi informed the press on Friday night that Mr Schröder intends to spend his holidays in Italy next year.

Mr Stefani also offered a written apology to Germany that reads, "If my words have caused a misunderstanding for many Germans, I would like to say here that I am very sorry".

Written by Mihaela Gherghisan
Edited by Honor Mahony

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement