Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Distinctions

Author Topic: Distinctions
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to jump in here after reading an article on how "Freemasonry" can call it's self "Christian." I've been doing A LOT of reading on Masons and what they believe and when I came across this statement on the Cutting Edge website, it occurred to me why the term "Christian" has been bothering me for years now...

http://www.cuttingedge.org/free18.htm

"Wait a minute! I know how you can still call yourself Christian! You are followers of "The Christ", the coming superman avatar, the Antichrist whose Biblical definition Masonry fits perfectly. You have redefined the word, "Christian", while the "ignorant masses" have not caught on. Of course, that makes perfect sense now that I think about it; you are a "Christian" because you are a follower of the coming "Christ" -- Antichrist.

I thought this was a very interesting statement. There are many people who claim that "Christ" IS, but deny that GOD IS Jesus and that Jesus is THE ONLY Christ. Just something to 'chew on' [Wink]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the terms "Believer" and "Christianity" interchangeable?

I earlier read it as Christian which would refer to the individual, as would Believer. Christianity refers to the entire spectrum of the Christian faith and would be more representative of the Church, the Body, etc.

Main Entry: Chris·tian·i·ty
Pronunciation: "kris-chE-'a-n&-tE, "krish-, -'cha-n&-, "kris-tE-'a-
Function: noun
1 : the religion derived from Jesus Christ , based on the Bible as sacred scripture, and professed by Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies
2 : conformity to the Christian religion
3 : CHRISTENDOM 2

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HisGrace, I was only refering to terms in Scripture. As used in the Scriptures a Believer and a Christian are the same.

Many that call themselves Christians or Believers in the Church are no more born again of the Spirit, than a rat that gets in a cookie jar becomes a cookie.

Sorry if I missunderstood the question.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I most enjoy the terminology used in the book of ACts, "Followers of the Way." To me this descriptive of a believer in Christ was indicative of more than just a person believing in something, but walking a path. I like it!
Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
According to Strong’s Concordance a Christian and a Believer are the same thing.
Christian, a follower of Christ

In the society of to-day the word "Christian" has become a very generic term. Many who call themselve Christian don't truly follow Christ. How many "Christian" churches don't teach that you must be born again?

Sometimes it is simply a term that people use to identify themselves as something other than being Jewish, athiest, Islamic, etc. They are telling others that they believe in the God of the Christians, even they may not be following Christ's every principle.

I like to use the word "believer" to set Christians apart who truly believe in the saving grace and mercy of Jesus' precious blood of Jesus. We are believers of THE REAL TRUTH.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PublicNewSense
Advanced Member
Member # 4339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PublicNewSense     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me a Christian is a believer and a believer is a Christian--with the presumption that the believer is aware that a believer not only knows and knows of The Lord, but follows Him as well.

--------------------
 -
If you were arrested for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

Posts: 61 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Strong’s Concordance a Christian and a Believer are the same thing.

Christian, a follower of Christ (Yeshua followed the Commandments of His Father Yahweh by the Holy Spirit that came upon Him at His baptism by John, those that follow Yeshua “Christ” follow after the same Laws “Commandments by the same Holy Spirit imparted at the new birth.)

Believer, used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul (The Law that the Holy Spirit writes upon the heart of every Believer “Christian” the Commandments of Yahweh.) Jeremiah 31:33

Bold lettering taken from Strong’s

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I side with His Grace for there are many who label themselves as Christian who do not truly believe..

There are Christian denominations whose leadership has rejected so many of the basic tenents of the faith, ie. virgin birth, resurrection, diety of Christ, inspiration of the Word, the return of Christ, etc.

Many who claim the term Christian ordain homosexuals, sanction homosexual unions, support a social gospel, but have denied our Lord Jesus Christ.

Main Entry: be·lieve
Pronunciation: b&-'lEv
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): be·lieved; be·liev·ing
Etymology: Middle English beleven, from Old English belEfan, from be- + lyfan, lEfan to allow, believe; akin to Old High German gilouben to believe, Old English lEof dear -- more at LOVE
intransitive senses
1 a : to have a firm religious faith b : to accept as true, genuine, or real <ideals we believe in> <believes in ghosts>
2 : to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something <believe in exercise>
3 : to hold an opinion : THINK <I believe so>
transitive senses
1 a : to consider to be true or honest <believe the reports> <you wouldn't believe how long it took> b : to accept the word or evidence of <I believe you> <couldn't believe my ears>
2 : to hold as an opinion : SUPPOSE <I believe it will rain soon>
- be·liev·er noun
- not believe : to be astounded at <I couldn't believe my luck>

Main Entry: 1Chris·tian
Pronunciation: 'kris-ch&n, 'krish-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin christianus, adjective & n., from Greek christianos, from Christos
1 a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ b (1) : DISCIPLE 2 (2) : a member of one of the Churches of Christ separating from the Disciples of Christ in 1906 (3) : a member of the Christian denomination having part in the union of the United Church of Christ concluded in 1961
2 : the hero in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the context of where I've heard the word "Believer" used, it has been interchangeable with "Christian". But, if you want to dive into the actual meanings, then I would agree that "Believer" would be the more generic term, and "Christian" meaning
quote:
A Christian is a person who adheres to the Biblical word of God, believes in all the powers and teachings of Christ, and demonstrates daily, focused scriptural and spiritual living.
Just like someone who follows the teachings of Marx would be a Marxist, those who accept Jesus Christ and follow His teachings would be a Christian.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I would switch those meanings around. To me a Christian is anyone who believes that Jesus came down to earth to walk among man. They may not even be a church-goer, but simply believe that there was such a person and identify themselves with that belief.

In my mind, a believer is one has asked for Jesus to come into their heart for forgiveness of their sins through his saving grace. and as you define as a Christian -
" (A believer?) is a person who adheres to the Biblical word of God, believes in all the powers and teachings of Christ, and demonstrates daily, focused scriptural and spiritual living."

So as you say, they are each applicable to different concepts.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lunarius
Advanced Member
Member # 4205

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lunarius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should the terms "Believer" and "Christian" be recognized as truly having separate meanings?

Examples:
*A Believer can be someone who simply believes that God and His Son, Jesus Christ exist and that they have power over humanity. This person may even regularly attend a church service, yet does not go further to put his/her beliefes into practice (no prayer, Bible study, ministry, etc.).
*A Christian is a person who adheres to the Biblical word of God, believes in all the powers and teachings of Christ, and demonstrates daily, focused scriptural and spiritual living.

I am NOT looking for confirmation of these views (they are just EXAMPLES of interpretation for you to understand my question). I want to know if you think the terms should be used interchangeably or if they are each better applicable to very different concepts.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 8 user(s) have voted.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
"Life is a song, love is the music"

Posts: 133 | From: Alabama (currently) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement