Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Scott Peterson: Agree or Disagree with Sentence?

Author Topic: Scott Peterson: Agree or Disagree with Sentence?
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RioLion:
The death penalty is something that can be found within every society for the past 40,000 years. There are really no good reasons to change it.

From a biblical prospective, if the Lord can order someone executed for picking up sticks on the sabbath (Numbers 18) then certainly we are justified in the state execution of the likes of Scott Petersen. Howbeit, I would limit executions to mass murderers, due to the huge expenses involved.

Do you mean 4,000 yrs!
For the earth is about 6 to 7 Tyrs.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The jury who did hear all the testimony and saw all the evidence, gave a verdict in rather rapid time. Then the same jury were unanimous in deciding on Death.

Scott Peterson was found trying to leave the country, after dying his hair, and he had $10.000 on him. He sold his wife's car soon after she was reported missing. He was having an affair with Amber Frye while his wife was missing. He bought a fishing boat, and went "fishing" on Christmas day? Laci's and Connor's bodies washed up close to where Scott went fishing.

I guess that's quite "normal" behavior for an innocent and presumably "bereaved" husband of a missing woman.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LaurieFL:
We have to recognize though, that in the state of California it is highly probable that Scott may die in jail long before his death sentence is meted out, if the sentence is even upheld on appeals. (They have over 650 inmates on death row now, and execute maybe 5 per year.)

If that is the case, then why even bother with the death penalty? Just give them life imprisonment with no possibility for parole.

quote:
Also, the judge still has not passed down that sentence has he? Doesn't he have time to review the case and take the recommendation of the jury under advisement?
Yes, the judge has the final say in the sentencing, and I don't think that takes place until February, but I may be wrong on the date.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the jury convicted him. We cannot judge, because we were not there to see all of the evidence and were not involved in the decision-making process.

I lived in Illinois for a few years back when it was discovered that there had been many wrongful convictions in death-row cases in that state, due to improprieties in the Chicago DA's office and/or the local police office. The governor opted to change over everyone' death sentence into life sentences, and a few people were released as they were completely exonerated. So yes, it is possible for innocents to be convicted in our system, espeically if lies are told by the prosecution team or evidence is withheld. For this reason, I generally only support the death sentence in the case of prisoners who were caught "red-handed" or who confessed...people like Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gasey, etc.

We have to recognize though, that in the state of California it is highly probable that Scott may die in jail long before his death sentence is meted out, if the sentence is even upheld on appeals. (They have over 650 inmates on death row now, and execute maybe 5 per year.) Also, the judge still has not passed down that sentence has he? Doesn't he have time to review the case and take the recommendation of the jury under advisement?

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onesog
Community Member
Member # 4169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me how Laci was killed?
What was the murder weapon?
Is there any 'physical' evidence linking Scott to Laci's death? If so what is it?

How many of you would like to be put on trial and convicted of a crime you may or may not have committed simply because you didn't "act" the way society thinks you should?

Nah! Scott's been railroaded. He may have killed Laci and he may not have killed Laci but NO ONE has provided any PHYSICAL evidence that Laci was murdered.
People die every day for many different reasons. Murder is just one of those reasons.

Anyway, I'm done with this rant but I will say this. Any of you who think Scott deserves to be convicted for a crime that no one has proven was committed should stop and think about what they are going to do the first time law enforcement finds him/her guilty of a crime he/she didn't commit.

Remember folks. US Citizens are "innocent" until proven guilty. Simply being a dirtbag does not a murderer make.

JMHO

--------------------
(1 John 3:2) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Posts: 17 | From: Arizona | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RioLion
unregistered

Icon 12 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The death penalty is something that can be found within every society for the past 40,000 years. There are really no good reasons to change it.

From a biblical prospective, if the Lord can order someone executed for picking up sticks on the sabbath (Numbers 18) then certainly we are justified in the state execution of the likes of Scott Petersen. Howbeit, I would limit executions to mass murderers, due to the huge expenses involved.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My roommate (non-Christian) and I were discussing this last night, and surprisingly we agreed. I have a hard time supporting the death penalty. I browsed an old topic on the death penalty the other day, so I'm sure many here will post about how it is the right decision and the death penalty is biblical, and I can respect that. I just have a hard time justifying taking anyone's life, especially when we look at some of the following scripture:

Matthew 5
38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. 41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. 43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Matthew 22
35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Also, over all the years of capital punishment, I'm sure innocent ones have been put to death. To me, even if just one innocent person was put to death, that is one too many. Forgive me for not researching before posting this part, so I don't have the details, but wasn't there a story just this week or last about a man that was in prison for several years for a crime he didn't commit? I believe it was DNA evidence that cleared him. What if this had been a crime that was eligible for the death penalty?

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KjTsion
Member # 4165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KjTsion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For starters this case I feel was botched from day one seeing as they had dismissed three different jurors. I disagree with the sentence, granted biblicaly it says "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" Now in this reguard they gave him death for killing his wife and son, however there are 637 people ahead of him on death row, so he will die of natural causes before he ever sees the chamber in which he will die. If it had been up to me, give him life in prison and let the prison's general population deal with him, now onto the main question:

In the case of Scott Peterson, do you agree or disagree with his sentence of death?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 19 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
Let the Glory of the Lord be our Rear Guard.

Posts: 5 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement