Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Tattoos... thumbs up or down??

Author Topic: Tattoos... thumbs up or down??
NewChristian
Member # 3674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewChristian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a tattoo from before I was saved. But even now, I don't think anything is wrong with tattoos. I have asked God to forgive me my weakness at the time I did get the tattoo, but not for the tattoo itself. I am thinking about getting another one, but it will be a cross in remembrance of my brother who lost his life in a motorcycle accident.
Posts: 4 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Tyme,
You are a blessing to me.
I would get a tattoo, if I could get it at a doctor's office. A flower with a butterfly. But, sadly doctors don't do them.
Hugs,
Betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again Betty I must say, a truly amazing post by you.

Your insight is truly a blessing and gift from God.

Tyme.

--------------------
I dream of a world.......

Posts: 527 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen TexasGrandma!

The proud and arrogant are like the Pharasies in the temple.

I myself have always wanted a tatoo. I haven't gotten one because they hurt and I don't like pain!! Also, the bible says to not raise up idols or images to worship (1st commandment) and to me, if I get a tatoo, it would have to be an image of something I really loved and wanted to look at all the time. And something that I would be willing to endure that much pain for. That would raise it to "idol" level for me. This may not be the case with anyone else, but for me it would be a form of idol worship and I will not worship an idol.
Praise be to Yahweh Elohim who alone is worthy of worship!

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 14 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don’t see anything wrong with tattoos. I think we spend far too much time on the outside when we should focus on the heart. My grandmother (my dad’s mom) was a member of the Church of God of Prophecy. She never wore pants, wore her hair high up in a bun and believed that any kind of jewelry including wedding rings was a sin. Unlike my Granny from mom’s side who never said a cross word about anyone, my grandmother never said nothing nice. She told me when I was 6 that my parents were going to hell for wearing wedding rings. She made it clear that she and her Church were the only ones acceptable to God. Where as my granny loved God with all her heart and lived a shining example of a Christian woman, my grandmother was proud and unkind.
I believe that God was more impressed with Granny than Grandma. I think that God is not concerned if we get a tattoo. He is more concerned if we are proud and arrogant.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wonderful_sky
Advanced Member
Member # 1808

Icon 13 posted      Profile for wonderful_sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a tattoo, don't want one. At one time, I seriously thought about it but the words in Leviticus kept coming back to me. My hubby has a tattoo, before he was a Christian he tattooed himself. He doesn't like it and would rather not have it. One of my brothers tattooed his wife's name on his arm, she tattooed his name on her breast. They are divorced now (No branding!), my brother has replaced her name with a big ugly black spider... unattractive.

My daughter is 16, her girlfriend also 16, was allowed to get a tattoo this summer. In the middle of this child's back is a pair of roses with a purple heart. I do "freak out" about that a bit! I don't feel that a child should be allowed to do such to her body and I think that the parent was very irresponsible for allowing her to do that. Piercings, tattooing, and the like are seen as cool in this day and age. As a christian, with Leviticus echoing in my head, I feel that it is wrong. I choose my battles with my kids, all 5 of them. I have had this conversation with them many times. I will not have it in my house. When they are adults, not living at home, they can do such, my job is to bring them up in the Lord, so that they will not stray.

Serving the Lord
Sky [dance]

--------------------
He who kneels down to God, can stand up to anything [Prayer]

Posts: 220 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 13 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's a question of how we "feel" about it. We belong to Christ. How does Christ feel about it? If it's a statement of fashion or political belief or devotion, it's still a statement coming from me about me. How will God feel about it? I honestly don't know, do you? I do think we are obligated to consider God's feeling too though.

Also, just as an aside, before they became fashionable, tattoos were used to show ownership of slaves, just like the branding of cattle. This goes back thousands of years. Who do we belong to?

By the way, if Leviticus says it, God must have said it. It's easy for us children of grace to scorn the old law, but if God said it He must have meant it.

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

Posts: 345 | From: Rochester NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrs.preach
Advanced Member
Member # 3720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.preach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my husband has a tat that he drew that is the symbol of the trinity and I have no problems with that...it is a public display of his belief in God and people see that he has permanently marked himself with a symbol of God. I on the other hand have a simple double heart...no special meaning...but I have no problems with that either. If either one of my children want a tattoo I will not hinder them from doing so once they are old enough to make that decision.
Posts: 40 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beena
Advanced Member
Member # 3518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RioLion :
uh......dude....what exactly do you mean by that??? [Confused] [Confused]

God Bless You
Beena

Posts: 56 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristi
Advanced Member
Member # 3396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kristi:
I voted ~> It is NOT ok because The Word says so <~ Because our Bodies are Temples of Jesus Christ and we are His Property!!

"Praise Jesus for Today & Everyday!!"

"Blessings" \o/

KristiAnn

Everyone, Please Forgive me what I Wrote above. I cannot judge my Sisters or Brothers in Christ Jesus. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.

Praise Jesus for Today & Everyday! \o/

Kristi

--------------------
YSIC \o/
MsGuidedAngel aka KristiAnn
*~*Kristi Ann's Haven*~*

Posts: 109 | From: Oregon | God Loves You! | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RioLion
unregistered

Icon 11 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it not be nice to have a tatto put on a wife's behind at marriage to show possession similiar to a brand on a cow? That would really be a test of submissiveness, would it not?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beena
Advanced Member
Member # 3518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEAR HEAR!
What a ROUSING discussion we have had !! [clap2]
And we are all great profound thinkers, are we not?? OF COURSE WE ARE - we are made in HIS image. [thumbsup2]
I LOVE conversing with you! [dance]
God Bless us everyone !!!
Beena :- ]

Posts: 56 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good responce Linda, well put. The Scriptures Old Covenant and New Covenant are relevant to us today. We just need to find how to apply it to our every day life.

The Spirit of the Law brings life, the letter of the Law brings death.

It is that simple. [Prayer]

Yeshua died to bring life, the Spirit of the Law, to write it upon our hearts. [Cross]

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beena: You asked some good questions about Leviticus. We know that Jesus has made the final sacrifice and therefore there is no more reason for temple service or animal scarifice, but this does not mean that Levitcus is thrown out like some antiquated 8088 computer that won't run today's software. God does not change; he is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow and the words of Levitcus are his words.

My comments are not not about judging your heart or anyone else's heart who has a tatto. But the Bible clearly states we are not to have one. And we should know what the Bible says. I have a tattoo it is small and on my ankle and for the most part it is not seen, but I can tell you for a fact that at 16 when I got it, it was sin even though I did not know it at the time. My tatoo was sin because I got it to be cool... actually to be tough... I got it by hand and not the fancy guns they use today. It is also sin because it is a person's name and my getting it was a delcaration of who's girl I was and the name is not HIS. Does everyone get tattoos for those reasons? Of course not, but I have never met a single soul that ever got one to glorify God or build his kingdom and that is why we are here and every thing we do either glorifies him or it doesn't either builds his kingdom or the other.

Now I dont say that because I am casting stones...I do not cast stones because I am far far far from perfect and everything I do I am sure does not glorify God or build his kingdom.. but he is working on me. There are probably enough things that are not specifically listed in the Bible that could be done that would not glorify him or build his kingdom, that the very least that we can do is not do the ones that he blatantly says not to do. I can tell you even at 16 with the rebellious heart that I had, if someone had said to me the BIBLE says dont get tattoos, I probably would not today have a tattoo that is to me a shame and a disgrace and a symbol of my rebellion still present today that I would much rather be without.

As to food and the Levitical law. Paul said all things are lawful but not all things profit or edify. You can eat what you want the scripture says it is not what a man puts in his mouth that defiles him, but what comes out his mouth.

But does that mean there is no value in the scriptures that say don't consume natures garbage collectors? That is why the scripture says dont eat shellfish or fish without scales etc.. etc... because they eat the garbage and the dead things and that is not good for us.

Do you know that tuna for example is a fish without scales... do you know that kids who eat tuna once a week have a higher instance of cancer than those who do not? Why? probably because of mercury in the water and tuna soak it up. It is so also with shrimp and the like. Now I happen to love those things and I even eat those things.... but would I be better not to? Probably so. Am I sinning when I eat them? No because the scripture says it is ok to eat them as long as when I eat them I dont offend someone who thinks it is not ok to eat them and also that I eat them unto God... that is with thanksgiving.

But I do not see that there is anywhere in the NT that speaks of tattoos being ok... that is probably because marking one's flesh is a symbol of sealing or ownership or loyalty as it will be with the mark of the antichirst.

Well, enough said.... I dont want to argue we all have to answer for ourselves to him and my only real point here was to say that we should not look at Leviticus as though it is obsolete information. It is not. It is the unchanging word of our Unchanging God. Jesus fulfilled (made complete/whole)the Law he did not abolish it.

And no getting a tattoo will not send you to hell, but a not right heart will. Let every man examine his own heart and see if it be right before God.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beana, as I think about it, let us also concider or we dealing with the lost or people that think they are saved?

I have a real problem with someone that thinks how a believer lives is not a reflection of whether or not the Spirit of Yahweh's Grace is working in the heart.

We have a resonsiblity not to judge any person eternally, but matters of the heart, our outward lives is a different matter.

If I see a person sin certian sins I have an obligation in love from the Word to help them see their need to repent.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

The things we do reflect the condition of our heart.

There is no reason for a tattoo except rebellion against nature, conformity to the world or being forsed against your will!

--------------------

Beena
Advanced Member
Member # 3518

I am speaking of how Jesus said God looks at the heart. You do not have the ability to look into another's heart - neither do I - no one can but God. So how can you give only 3 reasons for getting a tattoo? You could not possibly know why a person gets a tattoo. They may say why -- but only God will know if the reason they give is true (sometimes peo dont even know why they do something- or the person could be lying) but God sees the person's heart - that is the reason He is the only one who can judge the person- so how can we judge someone cuz they decide they will get a tattoo?? Perhaps for one person it is right but perhaps for another it is wrong.
Bottom Line:Jesus said God cares what is in a persons heart.
Doesn't that mean the INTANGIBLE things are what's most important? Like kindness,caring,compassion,listening when a person needs an ear,offering help when someone asks,making strangers(new peo) in your church feel welcome?(ie-inviting them to your house for dinner,making an effort to get to know them,etc)
And these things have nothing to do with how our bodies look or don't look, right?
Waddya think?? [Wink]
God Bless Your Hearts

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God looks at the heart right?

Then what is the heart motive for someone who wants to get a tattoo?

A) To the Glory of God

B) Please self

c) Impress other{s}

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Greg and Linda have said it simply and truly, we have to look at what the Scriptures says about a thing and what message it conveys to the world.

Rom 12:2 (To the believer) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Do not imatate this world! That is not Old Testament teaching, that is New Covenant teaching.

Can Yahweh forgive a permenant mark on the body made in a time of spiritual weakness, you can be sure He can and will when repented of. It is no different than any other transgression of Yahweh's will (HIS heart).

quote:
ISITjhn423
I remember when i asked my older brother why he doesn't have tatoos, his comment was i want to leave the world the way i entered the world. The scriptures says when Christ returns pray that your whole, spirit, soul and body is preserved blameless. I could have preserved my body, but i was foolish, hopefully i can stil walk out of the fire of God.

(Great statement)

quote:
mohawk
I got it because I wanted to experience the tattoo, and just picked out the one that most pleased me.

mohawk, we are not suposed to be pleasing ourselves, we are to be seeking to please HIM (Yahweh in all we do). We have been bought with a great price, the precious Blood of Yeshua.

If I want to experience sex with another woman other than my wife, according to your thoughts, I should "just picked out the one that most pleased me".

It is this kind of logic that is desiving many into believing in a false Salvation.

As Greg has said in many post Yahweh's Salvation is Christ Crucified, but we have to enter into what HE has done (the author) and let HIM finish the good work HE has begun in us (the Finisher) of Salvation.

My wording may be different but the message is the same death to me, my desires brings life. There is no other way.

Not my will, BUT HIS.

--------------------

Beena
Advanced Member
Member # 3518

OK now.....it says a LOT of stuff in Leviticus.
Like in Chapt 6:7 "And the priest shall make atonement for him before the Lord, and he shall be forgiven for anything of all that he may have done which he has become guilty."
and.......
Chapt4:29 "The offender shall lay his hand on the head of the sin offering and kill it at the place of the burnt offering."
and........
Chapt11:12 "Everything in the waters that has not fins or scales shall be abhorrent and detestable to you."
and......
C'mon ! We are supposed to take the ENTIRE word of God for learning and growing and knowledge - not just some passages, as they are convenient to us.
You know we do not make sin offerings, and we are allowed to eat ANYTHING(remember Peter's vision with the sheet coming down from the sky filled w/all those different supposedly"forbidden foods" that all the Jewish peo thot they would go to Hell if they ate them?)
AND no priest can go before the Lord to forgive OUR sins, right??
We gotta remember what is the BOTTOM LINE.........
the HEART. God judges us by our heart, not by tattoos, or what we eat, or what wear, or how we decide to wear our hair( or no hair).
The main message of the entire Bible is the LOVE OF GOD and us being able to convey that love to those who are not aware of it.
Happy Friday! [dance]

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. That is not what the scripture teaches.

As bro greg has pointed out:

Lev 19:27 - Lev 19:28 (KJV) 28Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

God does care about what is on the outside of our bodies. He created them and we cannot improve upon them and there is something to be said about the heart of man who tries to.

The outward appearance of our person, whether it be the modesty of our dress or tatoos or what ever we do to adorn ourselves, make a statement to the world, give adoration to the things of this world, etc... is a direct reflection of the condition of our hearts and speaks volumes about how we view our person, How we view the one who created our person, what we seek to glorify, and whom we seek to draw attention to HIM or us.

Additionally, for women, The Bible says women are to adorn themselves with good works.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beena
Advanced Member
Member # 3518

God looks at our HEARTS. I don't think He cares what is on the outside of our bodies as long as it is not like something which is offensive, like violent or something like that.
Like prob God would not like women to go on the beach in bikinis for obvious reasons.Or wear short short skirts or shorts or for men to wear super tight pants. You know, it's kind of obvious really.But nice pictures on the body? What's wrong with that?? A lovely form of artistic expression - kinda painful tho. I wouldnt want it.Ouch!

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They questions you must yourself are

1] Are you serious about your walk with The Lord

2] Does The Holy God Almighty want you to put that marking on His Temple that was bought with the blood of Jesus.

3] Is the Holy Spirit leading you to get a tattoo, or are you wanting it in the flesh. If the Holy Spirit is truely leading you to get a tattoo, then get it, if not it is sin.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lshopeful
Member # 3479

Icon 20 posted      Profile for lshopeful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read through all the other postings before responding... here goes. I'm 37 and have 2 tatoos. Yep, I got 'em while I was most definitely in a state of rebellion and self doubt. Funny thing is, I still like them. They aren't hurting anybody else and they serve as a reminder to God's grace in getting me through the tough times. Bottom line... folks do things for different resons. Your's sounds like a pretty good one. Still, I agree w/ the advice "Pray"
Posts: 6 | From: US | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adv.Christian
Advanced Member
Member # 3453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adv.Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Cross] :coss: all things including tattoos in my opinion are fine as long as they are not of sinful thought and nature so as not to cause a brother or sister to stumble. [Cross]

--------------------
A person talking can not be listening; A person not listening can not be learning.

Posts: 299 | From: Raleigh/North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristi
Advanced Member
Member # 3396

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Kristi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted ~> It is NOT ok because The Word says so <~ Because our Bodies are Temples of Jesus Christ and we are His Property!!

"Praise Jesus for Today & Everyday!!"

"Blessings" \o/

KristiAnn

--------------------
YSIC \o/
MsGuidedAngel aka KristiAnn
*~*Kristi Ann's Haven*~*

Posts: 109 | From: Oregon | God Loves You! | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bro. Greg
Advanced Member
Member # 2943

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Bro. Greg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does the scriptures say about tattoo's? Has anyone every wandered what the Lord thinks about tattoo's? I have saw many people with tattoo's both Christian and Non-Christian alike. Not only is the tattoo popular but the body peircing is as well especially in recent times. Some say it is O.K. and not wrong and other say it is wrong. But very few actually know what the scriptures say on the matter. Some use the view it is not wrong as mohawk did with pointing out about the 144,000 in Revelation and Jesus' thigh. Let us look at what the scriptures say:

quote:
The Holy Bible, King James Version
Lev 19:27 - Lev 19:28 (KJV) 28Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Now if you compare that to Revelation about the marks on the 144,000 and the name in Jesus' thigh, one would either think they would either contradict one another or be talking about something totally different. As I beleive the Word of God does not contradict itself, I am left with the alternative. They mean something totally differnt.

My point is NOT that we should not get tattoo's but to use the scriptures to see what is wrong and what is right. For it is written: I would not have know sin unless the Law said, "Thou shalt not...". For the Law is the knowledge of sin. How shall we know that it is wrong to steal unless the Law say, "Thou shalt not steal". It is our schoolmaster to teach us bringing us to Christ.

As much as I preach Christ Crucified I know in my soul that if I get a tattoo of a Cross in my flesh that I would have made the Cross an Idol of something worshiped. I do not worship the wood upon which our Lord was nailed, but the Lord! What is found in the Cross can not be drawn so therefore it can not be a tattoo upon my flesh! Can anyone draw LOVE or Grace?

Now, if I had a tattoo(which I don't) I believe it would be as ISIT said, A thorn in my flesh! Because every time I looked at it I would be reminded of my state before the Grace of God found me. It would be as a messenger of my past!But nevertheless, the Lord says, My Grace is sufficient for thee!

Let us look at another mark upon the flesh in Revelation. 666! The number of a man! From the standpoint of marking our flesh with a tattoo of the number of man that will be willfully done. Not forced! They will declare that the man is the object of their worship denying Christ Crucified. Is a tattoo of a Christs' mother, a cross, a nude woman, or a persons name willfully applyed? In the past and now a tattoo was forcefull placed in a slaves flesh to show ownership. That was/is not willfully place there. But to place a tattoo or brand willfully would mean one desires to be the slave of that master. So we have the number 666 being willfully placed in our flesh declairing we choose to be the slave of the beast and the beast is the object of our worship!

IF we get a tattoo ignorantly, Gods Grace is sufficient to forgive. But I wonder if we attain one willfully after we understand the truth of what a tattoo represents will we not take our place with the object in our flesh? Therefore the scriptures that declair we are not to print a mark in our flesh in Lev 19:28 and the mark the 144,000 do not contradict themselves. They are speaking of something entirely different. If I get a tatoo out of ignorance God Grace provides for the deeds in the flesh that we do, it is written:

quote:
The Holy Bible, King James Version
1 Cor 15:50 - 1 Cor 15:49 (KJV) 50Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Our flesh shall be returned to dust or changed in the twinkling of an eye! The outward man, that is the flesh, will be changed but the inward man shall be saved! This is the Grace found in Christ Crucified!

Let the scriptures speak to your hearts and settle in your minds the issue of "Tattoos"!

As for me, I shall have none in my flesh according to scriptures but if someone in past times out of ignorance of scriptures ask, He is faithful to forgive! But he that knows the truth and denys it...well that will be determined in the Day of the Lord!

I will have to put a thumbs down if I must!

--------------------
Isaiah 5:20(KJV) 20Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Bro. Greg
In and By His Grace
http://www.mychristiansite.com/ministries/pass_it_on

Posts: 527 | From: Montana, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Old Salt
Advanced Member
Member # 3174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old Salt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent 6 years in the Navy and managed to come through that tattoo-free. I have no desire to permanently mark up my body when I could later regret it. To me having a tattoo is a sign of either vanity or rebellion. Of course, that's just my opinion, which is the only opinion I'm entitled to. I give a thumbs down to tattoos!
Posts: 31 | From: Linthicum, MD | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ISITjhn423
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two tatto's. I have a tattoo of the grateful dead with a red and blue yin yang and skull on my arm, and on the other one is a Phish tatoo. Both are tattoos of music bands that experiment with other boundries of music, they improvise alot. When i was younger Phish and the Grateful Dead was such a big part of my life, i used to wear grateful dead and phish shirts everyday, and go to music gathering in spirit of the grateful and phish. Phish and the grateful dead are gypsy like touring bands, that usually have a HUGE following doing full musical tours.

Now that i am older, and i am serious with my relationship with Christ, i in a way kind of wished i was a little bit more smarter about the tattos that i chose, but, you can also look at the tatoos in a spiritual way, gratefully dead in Christ, and Phish is a symbol of Jesus, because the fish is a symbol of Jesus in the Bible. The tattos didn't mean that to me when i got them, but that's how i view my tattoo's. Consider my tattoos kind of a thorn in the flesh. I have alot of doubts because of these tattoo's but it makes me seek God more and more. I remember when i asked my older brother why he doesn't have tatoos, his comment was i want to leave the world the way i entered the world. The scriptures says when Christ returns pray that your whole, spirit, soul and body is preserved blameless. I could have preserved my body, but i was foolish, hopefully i can stil walk out of the fire of God.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeFan77
Advanced Member
Member # 2973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeFan77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would think that a sailor (Me) would have a tattoo. But I don't! I think the permanancy of the whole thing is too much!

If I could get over that permanancy issue I think I would get a tattoo of the Decepticon logo on my arm, just cause it is cool. I would also get a New England Patriots flying elvis tattoo on my other arm! Maybe a battleship on my chest, and flames on my back! As they say back home, "That would be wicked!" Ah I miss New England speak....anyone got a dohlah foah a tohnic??

Posts: 81 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cricket
Advanced Member
Member # 2960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cricket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is nothing wrong with tatoos if that is what you like. I myself don't have one, but I would love to get a cross and maybe one of Tigger! I love Winnie the Pooh and all the characters that go along with him.

As a parent, I would have no problem with either of my sons getting a tatoo that is tasetful. Parents who get bent out of shape about hair, tatoos, earrings, etc. need to choose their battles. There are much worse things their children can be doing.

--------------------
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
---Vincent Van Gogh

Posts: 56 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply put:

Tattoo’s are not sinful, in any way shape or form.

If you want one, get one.

But do not let them define who your are, what you are, and do not let them control you.

Make sure you go to a reputable parlor, and get a good one, if your going to get a tattoo, you should make sure you go to professional tattooist.

Check out who you want to go to, get a list of what to look for, and other such things.

Make an informed decision on who is going to work on your skin

Tyme.

--------------------
I dream of a world.......

Posts: 527 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 6 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I may weigh in on this topic...

Waynos, I too am an artist, and a Christian with a tattoo. It is on my upper arm, and is out of view even when I wear a short-sleeved shirt. It is a simple one-color design with no real meaning--I got it because I wanted to experience the tattoo, and just picked out the one that most pleased me. I have not regretted it. I don't consider it a statement against our Lord. In fact...

Turn to Revelation 14. Don't the 144,000 have their Father's name written on their foreheads? "Tattoo" is just a word--just because it is not made with a needle and ink, but by the fiinger of God--the word "tattoo" still serves as a modern descriptive. And...

While we're in Revelation, turn to Chapter 19. Our Lord Christ Jesus, in the context I've just described, has a tattoo! It is on his thigh--it reads "King of Kings and Lord of Lords."

I am not trying to fly in anyone's face. Remember that a tattoo is a permanent body alteration, to be considered between you and the Lord, seeing as how your body is both His temple, as well as your Earthly dwelling. Tattoos or "marks" are also used to signify evil in the Bible. I do not believe a tattoo is evil in and of itself. Pray.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

You can call a tattoo a statment of faith but the only reason anyone today considers a tattoo is because of the popularity they have achieved in the society (the world) today.

That equals conforming to the world.

If you have been deceived by Satan and defiled your body, ask for forgivness , for He is ready to abundantly forgive.

If you are thinking about getting a tattoo don't do it.

Ever since our first mother, Eve, facilely discovered multiple reasons to do what God had expressly commanded her through Adam not to do, we’ve proven to be, in our fallen estate, a darkness-loving lot that excels in creatively justifying any sin-embracing choice we desire to make. This ability wreaks havoc in ethics. No sooner do we learn the right thing than we begin paralogizing in the pursuit of what we think of as freedom.

But freedom from God’s Law as a rule of faith and life is no freedom at all. Some think the opposite of Law is Grace. Rather, the opposite of Law is chaos, meaninglessness and death. Thinking which leads to a justification for disobedience is, by definition, wrong thinking.

With the modern church having largely capitulated to some or another form of antinomianism, it should not surprise us that it seems ever to be engaged in lowering the flag before each new assault on the ethics of the Antithesis. Whether we are asked to adjust God’s standards for marriage and divorce, or Lord’s Day worship, or the tithe, or homosexuality, or love of the brethren, we find an ever-vigilant phalanx of theologians whose favorite color is grey and whose favorite work is dismantling the Antithesis, directing us, like the serpent did Eve, to ignore what God says and to seek life in death.

In every dispensation God has made it clear that his people are a people of life, a people distinct from the world, a people with a different idea of wisdom, a people with a different way of living. God’s word to Israel and the church is (of course) one: Do not think as they think; do not do as they do ( Dt. 18:9; Eph. 4:17-20 ).

Keeping God’s law in Christ is a community affair. To comply with the demands of the Antithesis, it is necessary not only to have those commands, but to have a people committed to abiding by them. Though we are made up of individuals, the covenant community is an entity in its own right, an organism which confesses covenant truth and lives the covenant life. We are to be a people set apart both by what we believe and how we behave.

Included in the set-apartness required of us in both the Old and New administrations of the covenant is the sanctification of our bodies unto God. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world ( Rom. 12:1-2 a).

Antithesis, the rhetorical contrast of ideas by means of parallel arrangements of words, clauses, or sentences (as in "action, not words" or "they promised freedom and provided slavery")

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have met a few Christians who had a Relegious tattoo on their bodies and they used them to open doors to wittness. I don't have a problem with them, mself. I do not have one simply because I am such a baby that I would want to have one done at a doctor's office where he could give me a local. But seeing as how docotor's are not in the business, I don't have one.

--------------------

Waynos
First Post
Member # 3232

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Waynos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being an artist throughout my life I've always found it a part of me to self-express. Getting a tattoo has been on my mind for quite a few years now but since committing my life to rebirth I have a desire to have tattooed the word "Messenjah" (An individual living, speaking and carrying the word of God-"Jah")across my back. The word being a title of a P.O.D. song has a great deal of significance to me and summarises my beliefs. I've done plenty of research and have concluded that getting tattooed is not necessarily a sin but it being offensive is (read Romans 14:20-21). What I want to know is what you guys think...

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 1 | From: melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement