Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Bible God's word

Author Topic: Bible God's word
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by barrykind:
MAC States:(acctually quoted from Easton's bible Dictionary)

quote:
This word is infallible, because written under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and therefore free from all error of fact or doctrine or precept. All saving knowledge is obtained from the word of God.
A quote from Easton's Bible Dictionary i believe.

First i believe that YaHWeHs word is truely infallible. It is true and is solid, and our Father lifts HIS word above HIS name.

PS 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Now the above quote from Eastons i have trouble with for the simple fact it states that the "Bible" is infallible, without any errors, "therefore free from all error of fact or doctrine or precept"

Now we surely know Gods word is infallable, but when a broad statement is made about the bible it must in my opinion be clarified. For there are hundreds of bibles translations and paraphrases.

The heart of the matter is so true, that Gods word is reliable, trustwothy, and worthy to stake not only your life, but your soul as well on it.

But let us be very careful what we call Gods word.

One time this preacher near here made a statement. He held up a Bible and said: "If there is one error in this bible God is a liar"... i'm certainly not that bold as to say that nor as foolish.

God is true, HIS word is infallable.

Me thinks that all the words of the "bible" are spiritually decearned, like the above, and made known (true meaning) to us by the Holy Spirit.

Words that are "Spirit and Life"; the fleshly man cannot recieved them:

1COR 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

and spoken again on this wise;

JN 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
ROM 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
ROM 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

i pray i'm not misunderstood here, i'm not saying that the bible is not God's word for us, nor i'm i saying that there is error of doctrine, nor saying anything to the contrary of God's precious word (who is actually The Messiah Yahshua).

But to make a blanket statement that there is no error in the bible, and that all is fact, the way i see it is not true itself. One is encompassing a multitude of "bibles" when saying that there are no errors in the bible.

My take anyway..

Now dont go tellin anyone that i said the bible was not God's word.

Yes it is; it is place very clear. The Word Of God [Cross]

Heb 4:12 For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing apart of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question was:
quote:
Do you believe someone can truely be a "born again Christian" and not believe all the Bible is God's living and active word?

Now I have a little bit of a problem with the question. You see, when I repented of my sin and turned to the Lord in faith for my salvation, I didn't know anything about the inerrency or infallability of the scriptures. All I knew was that Jesus loved me and had saved me. Since then I have come to see and understand the scriptures to be inerrent and infallable, God's living and active Word. Back then I didn't know that, but I was certainly saved. It wasn't until literally years later that I was confronted with the Bible's inerrency and infallability. So I think we have to make allowance for the time it takes people to grow in the Lord.

Other than that, I agree 100% with my dear brother Drew.

In Christ,
Gary

--------------------
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23 NASB

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We believe that the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, are the
inspired Word of God and are therefore without error in the original writings.
We further believe that this inspiration is not in different degrees, but extends
equally and fully to all parts of the Bible: historical, poetical, doctrinal and
prophetical. We, therefore, believe in the absolute authority of the Bible in all
matters of faith and practice. John 10:35; II Timothy 3:16, 17; II Peter 1:21.

The absolute Truth that is found in His Word is immutable.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAC States:(acctually quoted from Easton's bible Dictionary)

quote:
This word is infallible, because written under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and therefore free from all error of fact or doctrine or precept. All saving knowledge is obtained from the word of God.
A quote from Easton's Bible Dictionary i believe.

First i believe that YaHWeHs word is truely infallible. It is true and is solid, and our Father lifts HIS word above HIS name.

PS 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Now the above quote from Eastons i have trouble with for the simple fact it states that the "Bible" is infallible, without any errors, "therefore free from all error of fact or doctrine or precept"

Now we surely know Gods word is infallable, but when a broad statement is made about the bible it must in my opinion be clarified. For there are hundreds of bibles translations and paraphrases.

The heart of the matter is so true, that Gods word is reliable, trustwothy, and worthy to stake not only your life, but your soul as well on it.

But let us be very careful what we call Gods word.

One time this preacher near here made a statement. He held up a Bible and said: "If there is one error in this bible God is a liar"... i'm certainly not that bold as to say that nor as foolish.

God is true, HIS word is infallable.

Me thinks that all the words of the "bible" are spiritually decearned, like the above, and made known (true meaning) to us by the Holy Spirit.

Words that are "Spirit and Life"; the fleshly man cannot recieved them:

1COR 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

and spoken again on this wise;

JN 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
ROM 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
ROM 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

i pray i'm not misunderstood here, i'm not saying that the bible is not God's word for us, nor i'm i saying that there is error of doctrine, nor saying anything to the contrary of God's precious word (who is actually The Messiah Yahshua).

But to make a blanket statement that there is no error in the bible, and that all is fact, the way i see it is not true itself. One is encompassing a multitude of "bibles" when saying that there are no errors in the bible.

My take anyway..

Now dont go tellin anyone that i said the bible was not God's word.

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen MAC!!! [clap2] [clap2] [clap2]
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Heb_4:12, etc.). The Bible so called because the writers of its several books were God's organs in communicating his will to men. It is his “word,” because he speaks to us in its sacred pages. Whatever the inspired writers here declare to be true and binding upon us, God declares to be true and binding. This word is infallible, because written under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and therefore free from all error of fact or doctrine or precept. All saving knowledge is obtained from the word of God. In the case of adults it is an indispensable means of salvation, and is efficacious thereunto by the gracious influence of the Holy Spirit (Joh_17:17; 2Ti_3:15, 2Ti_3:16; 1Pe_1:23).

Easton

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand your question and I have an opinion, but I also have a problem with the poll. There has to be an exception for those who do not have Bibles. I certainly believe that there are places where there are born again believers that have no access to scripture. How can we leave room for those in the poll?

Perhaps: Among those who have access to and have read the Bible do you believe.... ?

Just a thought.

Oops I missed the ALL - maybe I misread the question. Sorry!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 15 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you believe someone can truely be a "born again Christian" and not believe all the Bible is God's living and active word?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 6 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement