Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Bible

Author Topic: Bible
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 15 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as having around 30 something translation and paraphased additions, and comparing to many different sources:

i think that the American Standard 1901 Version is very very good.

King James 1611 is very good

NASB would be a good one also

i have a 1534 Tyndale New testement that is really good also...

But all in all : read the word be faithful and trust God; for HE will lead you to the right translation, and well as and more importantly;;;

what it means..amen [Smile]

[thumbsup2]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LogansGranny
Community Member
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LogansGranny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby swears by the KJV, I prefer the NKJV. I thought I would like the New Life Applicaton, until I read the reviews here on this board...
Thanks everyone!

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RioLion
unregistered

Icon 12 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one really wants to go deeper into the study of God's Word, I would suggest the NETB with its 53,000 footnotes on translation. It is step up from reading the Greek itself.

The churches seems to use the NIV or NKJV and these are the ones I generally bring with me to church.

I used to read a different version every year for the past 30 years. It seems that each one of them has something to offer.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
URCGSF
Advanced Member
Member # 2194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for URCGSF   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the contemporary english version as it is the only version which is all written in words i understand!
Posts: 28 | From: Norwich, Norfolk, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For study I use NASB and The Amplified Bible.
I use NKJV for sermons.
I like the NLT for reading.

I just love God's Word in all different translations.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Han-a
Advanced Member
Member # 2209

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Han-a   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit I like either the New International Version or the Authorised version. [Bible] [Bible]

--------------------
Han-a

If Satan knocks at the door let Jesus answer it.

Posts: 200 | From: Nottingham | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
promises
Advanced Member
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for promises     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the NASB bandwagon as well. My pastor is a Greek professor at a local seminary (He prefers the NASB as well). He delves deeply into the original context and language as he teaches us verse by verse through a Book from the pulpit - sometimes he only makes it through three or four verses on a Sunday morning :-). He does the same in the pre-service Bible study and the Wednesday night study. I love it because it opens up the full meaning and significance of the Word in a way that really brings it alive for me. Sitting under this type of teaching, the NASB has consistently proven itself to me that it is faithful to the meaning intended by the language of the original manuscripts.

As a woman, my favorite Study Bible is Kay Arthur's Precept Study Bible. It is very helpful for really drilling down into the Word. It encourages a patient and focused consideration of the context, historical setting, tie-ins to the OT scripture and has a lot of word studies that add clarity. It's amazing how much we can skip over when we read without diligent care!

--------------------
His Alone

Posts: 144 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like the NASB for study, and the NJKV for reading fromthe pulpit. I tend to use several translations during studies. AMG publishes a "Hebrew-Greek Key Word Study Bible" in several translations (NIV, NASB, KJV, etc) and includes dictionaries, lexicons, concordnance, cross references, study notes, etc. etc.
It's been a very helpful addition to my library.

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pastor Mike
Advanced Member
Member # 2142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pastor Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also prefer the NASB because to me it catches more of the nuances of the Greek and Hebrew original languages and also shows you exactly what words were inserted to make it more readable in the English language. I prefer the Zondervan study Bible as it seems to have good notes that are not too oriented to one particular view of interpretation.
Posts: 55 | From: Staunton, IL | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slina
Advanced Member
Member # 2272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally prefer NASB, but NKJ is pretty good, too. I'd recommend the Ryrie Study Bible. It's the one I use, as do several people I know, and they all like it.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
righteous believer
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for righteous believer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woops sorry [Frown] its my 1st time posting, i didnt know how to put a poll up [Frown] Sorry
Posts: 3 | From: NA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
righteous believer
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for righteous believer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which Bible version do you prefer?
Which is the easiest to understand the full meaning?
And can you recommend a good study bible?
Thank you

Posts: 3 | From: NA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement