Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » plastic surgery?

Author Topic: plastic surgery?
Christ for the children
Advanced Member
Member # 159

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Christ for the children     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I saw this yesterday, but did not have time to put in my two cents worth! I may not be correct (if there is a right or wrong), this is only my opinion. I think this would be a personal conviction, if you see nothing wrong, fine. A former pastor of mine (still pastor-same church about 25 years) once stated something like "If the old barn needs painted, then paint it!" I think the same thought applies here, if not getting anything done would interfere in your relationship with the Lord, then do something about it! While it is true that God created us just the way we are, I personally do not believe He would be offended if we feel we need to do something to help our self esteem. Like I said, this is only my opinion, and I don't really think there is a right or wrong answer from my study of the Scriptures. A good topic though, and interesting thoughts. KEEP SMILING FOR JESUS!!
Christ for the children--Ray (Romans 5:1)

Posts: 120 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
secretagentgirl007
Advanced Member
Member # 1691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for secretagentgirl007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if I want to get a nose job or something because I'm unhappy with the nose God gave me, how is that diffrent from someone wanting surgery because they haved webbed hands or feet, or something more serious? Isn't it the same thing? If it disrupts someone's health, that's one matter, but what if they are disformed from birth or because of an accident? Isn't that vanity also? because they want to look like everyone else does? God gave them a disformity for a reason right?
Posts: 28 | From: us | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wonderful_sky
Advanced Member
Member # 1808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wonderful_sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that plastic surgery is for vanity purposes. Now for deformaties or accidents I can understand it, if it comes between your relationship with God. Learning to accept ones self is tough, but God accepts us reguardless of our outward appearances. I believe that children that suffer from deformaties are in more need for repair than adults simply because of the society that we live in today.

--------------------
He who kneels down to God, can stand up to anything [Prayer]

Posts: 220 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
setfree
Community Member
Member # 1359

Icon 16 posted      Profile for setfree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pretty much agree with caretaker. I do see excesses in this area as vanity, but so is lipstick and other artificial ways to enhance our outward beauty. Real life is real life and being attractive is okay, however, more important is the development of inner beauty as we let God work on us. [Kiss]

--------------------
The Truth will set You Free. Make sure you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Posts: 15 | From: Florida | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Y'all;

We were born with an appendix, but I am alive today because it was removed. A child with a cleft palate will have a better life with the deformity repaired. I also agree with the premice of plastic surgery in the case of accidents, and the use of prothesis and assists for amputees.

To correct one's appearance do to vanity, breast implants, lipo-suction, face lift, etc., in my personal opinion is in some ways idolitry, placing too much emphasis upon the exterior. I look at someone like Joan Rivers, whose face is frozen into an immovable mask, do to multiple face-lifts. The end of Michael Jackson's nose has fallen off, do to plastic surgery, and he must wear a prostetic piece.

If we as Christians try to ehance our outward appearance, to conform to a worldly concept of beauty, have we not sought to follow the precepts of the god of this world?

That is not to say that a healthy diet, and quality exercise, as we get older, is not a plus. It is one thing to seek a healthy lifestyle, and quite another to surgicly alter ourselves into an artificial personae.

This is just my personal opinion, and my precious one will just have to adjust to my thinning hair, and a bit of bulge at the middle.

May God bless.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
secretagentgirl007
Advanced Member
Member # 1691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for secretagentgirl007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting that no men have answered. I haven't found that many people who are opposed to it, and that suprizes me actually. I wonder what men would think, b/c they are usually less vain, and less interested on spending money on how they look.
Posts: 28 | From: us | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 21 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always told my husband he will have to get use to all the crow's feet and wrinkles as I get older, simply I am afraid of surgery. But, I do not feel it is a sin to have surgery to make a person feel better. In this world today, there are jobs that require a woman and man to look young and fresh and it is NOT just in the entertaiment industry.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honeybeez
Community Member
Member # 1781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for honeybeez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[wave3] hello secretagentgirl. Nice to meet u. [Smile]

Yes, probably plastic surgery to enhance rather than to correct is most likely vanity and not what God had in mind.

Posts: 18 | From: maryland | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
secretagentgirl007
Advanced Member
Member # 1691

I am wondering if it is wrong, because it is undoing what God created. I'm really confused with it actually...God made us as we are for a reason - should we change it? Isn't that going against God's will?
honeybeez
Community Member
Member # 1781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for honeybeez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely for accidents or birth defects.

For cosmetic reasons. Hmm? That would have to be a call between God and the person, mainly because we don't know what the heart situation is for any one person.

But yes, I agree for nothing in access. We don't need a pamphlet of instructions to know what that entitles. (face lifts, tummy tucks, etc) Everyone has a right to grow old gracefully. [Wink]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 18 | From: maryland | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leeprice
Advanced Member
Member # 1377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leeprice         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I surely don't have any problemwith it for accidents. I also don't really have a problem with it for 'looks' as long as it isn't excessive.

God's will? Well, if people didn't believe that any kind of surgery was God's will, then we'd have to let all sorts of sick people suffer needlessly. How do we know that God's will might be for the people to be healed by a form of surgery? [type]

--------------------
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
Matthew 7

Posts: 55 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Accidents are a matter very delicate and deformations! It is all together a different matter.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
secretagentgirl007
Advanced Member
Member # 1691

Icon 5 posted      Profile for secretagentgirl007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does everyone think about plastic surgery? Is it ok, or against God's will? what about for accidents?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement