Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » About the Harry Potter Craze?

Author Topic: About the Harry Potter Craze?
cynthia2003
Advanced Member
Member # 2470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cynthia2003     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, I thinks its bad that some Christians are trying to bring down Harry Potter. I mean, its a kids book (well enjoyed by adults and teens too). Plus it is getting kids who hated reading to love reading.
Posts: 26 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was not my intent by my post to cause any hard feelings or anything. But it is just my opinion that we as Christians should find more constructive things to do with our time than rip down a childrens book, do you not agree?

If then we were to turn our focus onto something like abortion, murder, or how about the most important thing: discussing ways to bring others into the presence of our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cynthia2003
Advanced Member
Member # 2470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cynthia2003     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Mentors Riddle and Andrey! That is the same thing I am thinking, as Christians arent we supposed to not judge? But that is what people are doing, judging. And it is true that Wiccans DO NOT believe in giants, elves and fairies. How can people even tie those things in with witchcraft?
Oh, and Andrey, that is a very good site you posted! Very good points are made on it.

Posts: 26 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrey
Member # 2514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God speaks to people in the language they understand. To some He speaks in English, and at other times He uses other languages.

When Jesus spoke to the Jews back about 2,000 years ago, He spoke in parables about the world around them, so that they could relate.

For those of you that say the movie "The Wiz", you know that it tells the EXACT SAME STORY as "Wizard of Oz", only instead of telling it to rural white children, it tells it to urban black children.

Because so many children love the Harry Potter books, and because my heart goes out to them, I have learned how to show God's message hidden in Harry Potter. You can see my findings at: http:://achievebalance.com/data/harrypotter

Oh, I was unable to open the poll, it must be some kind of spell on it? <grin>

<><

--------------------
<

Andrey

"The world is full of suffering, and the overcoming of it." - Helen Keller

"May you hear, recognize, understand and respond when God speaks to you."

www.achievebalance.com

Posts: 4 | From: Norfolk, Virginia, America, Earth | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know something:

I once practiced Witch Craft

Yes I will say it again

I once practiced Witch Craft (wicca) etc.

But I saw the error of my way and turned back to Jesus Christ, my lord and savior.

Let me tell you this. All of those of you out there who think that Harry Potter supports Wicca you are dead wrong. There are absolutley no things in the Harry Potter books that relate to Wicca that I can see. If there is then they have done a very good job at covering it up.

It makes me so mad to see this kind of talk from CHRISTIANS! DO NOT JUDGE!

and who was it that said the Harry Potter books should all be burned? You know the Nazis Burned books they didn't agree with. Is that what you want? another Nazi party? Because once you have one book burning it will grow.

IT IS JUST A BOOK. That is all it is. I have read them all and enjoyed every last page of them.
I mean for crying out loud it has:

Giants

Elfs

Fairys

etc.

Nothing in wicca beleives in that kind of junk.

Trust me on this. Harry Potter is a wonderful children and adult book and I would encourage anyone to read them.

Don't allways beleive what others tell you when they say something is bad. As a matter of fact I would be willing to place money on this: EVERYONE WHO IS SAYING THEY ARE BAD HAVE NEVER READ THEM.

How can you judge something without actually doing reasearch your self on it and just going off of what someone else has said.
Don't be sheepish and follow. Be like the Lion and lead.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GEN 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

It is only a little book, it will not hurt you, it is all just in fun.

Satan never changes, same old lies, just with a new twist.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cynthia2003
Advanced Member
Member # 2470

There is another thing I wanted to say. How is Harry Potter set in the real world?! There is no such thing as Hogwarts (the school Harry attends)in the real world! There are also cratures like phoenixes and dragons in Harry Potter, And those aren't in the real world. So tell me, How is Harry Potter "the real world"?
cynthia2003
Advanced Member
Member # 2470

Well, J.K. Rowling isn't trying to brainwash kids to become wiccan. Like I said, if people would read the books they would actually see that there is nothing wrong with them. From what I have heard, wiccans dress in hooded cloaks and chant around bonfires in the middle of forests and stuff like that. Nothing like that happens in Harry Potter. I have read the books several times, and I have not ever felt the slightest urge to become a wiccan!
And why does no one answer me about the good morals of Harry Potter such as good vs. evil? There is also the power of friendship. Can anyone tell me how this can be bad?! No, because it isn't bad.
I am not trying to sound rude, but people really should read the Harry Potter books before they go blaming them falsely.

Slina
Advanced Member
Member # 2272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No where in the book does it say "Hey little kids, go become wiccan!"
Of course it doesn't say that, because that would be too obvious! The strongest attack is not the "hey, let's go break the 10 commandments", but rather, the subtle support of something wrong.

As to the other books, there are plenty of things to be said about that (and I'm sure they will be said), but one thing is a point I heard someone make. HP is set in the real world, while all the storys you mentioned aren't. HP easily relates to real life, talking about people in this world that we live in doing things that are wrong.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cynthia2003
Advanced Member
Member # 2470

Harry Potter doesn't promote witchcraft! No where in the book does it say "Hey little kids, go become wiccan!" And Harry Potter isn't even about wiccans or wicca. Trust me I have read the books a lot. The only things Harry Potter does is promote good triumphing over evil. It also shows the power of friendship. I realy do sugest the book "God, the Devil and Harry Potter". It has proof of how Harry Potter is moral. And hsn't anyone heard that the Vatican has aproved of Harry Potter? A lot of people hate Harry Potter and say it is horrible before they even read the books. I think this is a sad thing, they should read before anyone even thinks about judging them. Also, what about other books that have magic in them; like The Cronicles of Narnia? Nobody says they are bad, and it is even in the titles of the books, "The Lion the WITCH, and the Wardrobe". And what about other books, like "The WIZARD of Oz"? There is magic in kids storys like Cinderella. No one has gotten mad at those books, so why be mad with Harry Potter?
And as for other "magic", as in slight of the hand/eye magic. I think it is fine. Really all it is is a trick of the mind. I have a neighbor that is that kind of magician(and a very good one too), and he is a very good Christian.

All4Him
Advanced Member
Member # 2212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for All4Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I strongly believe we shouldnt have or want to have anything to do with witchcraft and sorcery. Its is clearly stated many places in the bible that we should stay away from all magic. Also i hope eveyone reliazes there is no OK form of Witchcraft. If its not worshiping God, DONT DO IT!
Posts: 35 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leviticus 20:6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

9 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

So, even though God hates witchcraft and the practice of it will keep you from inheriting the kingdom of God. It is ok to spend your money to promote it and to spend your time filling your idle minds with it.

[roll on floor] [roll on floor] [roll on floor] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cynthia2003
Advanced Member
Member # 2470

I support Harry Potter. I think the books show good moarals. There is a lot of good vs. evil in then. And the good triumphs over the evil. How can any one say that good defeating evil is bad? There is a book written called "God, the Devil, and Harry Potter. A christian Ministers Defence of the Beloved Novels" It tells how Harry Potter is good. Harry Potter doesn't promote wicca or the occult. From what I have heard about wiccans, Harry Potter is completely different. It doesn't teach wiccan beliefs or practices.
Harry Potter is a harmless children (and adults too! I love them) book series. It also gets kids who hate reading to want to read. [Smile]

URCGSF
Advanced Member
Member # 2194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for URCGSF   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is ridiculous! I respect peoples right to disagree with me most of the time but to say that Harry Potter is evil is going way too far! My family is all christian, my dad's a minitsre he encourages my bro and sis to read Harry Potter and as treat took them to see the films. I believe as some others who have already replied do that Harry Potter is a good thing. It encourages children to read. It has the old good winning over eveil thing in its as well. I think anyone who thinks it is evil needs to have a serious rethink as to what they believe. I haven't found anything encouraging evil in the books yet!!!
Posts: 28 | From: Norwich, Norfolk, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim_Parks
Advanced Member
Member # 2130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim_Parks   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by phaze:
Just within the last month I heard a Bible reading which denoted all forms of sorcery. I wish I could quote it.

Regardless, I feel that these books are a gateway to further evil and should be banned and burned.

Just another reason to abolish the First Amendment to the US Constitution. The devil hides behind freedom of speech daily.

God gave man a free will. Would you take that away as well?

--------------------
James Parks

Posts: 30 | From: Oklahoma City | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyCati
Community Member
Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyCati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pastor actually wrote a book about how the HP books and the Bible have simularities and differenence and my youth are having a bible study. I guess it's just my young Methodist mind talking but I don't see what is so wrong about them....
[Eek!]

Posts: 8 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PROV 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof [are] the ways of death.

There are some evil courses (subjects) which men may think to be lawful and good (right).

But the end, Yahweh’s final judgment will shows that they were sinful and destructive.

Yahweh is going to send Yashua back for a Bride that has made herslf ready and keep herself free from this world.

JAS 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world.

EPH 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

2PET 2:13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, [as] they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots [they are] and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;

2PET 3:14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

JUD 1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds [they are] without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

JUD 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling [them] out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

None are perfect except for the Blood, but if His Blood is not causing you to walk in such a way as to avoid the things of this world, to seek to please HIM and not self, to desire to dye to self, you need to have a check up at the Cross of Calvary.

MT 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aingeal
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aingeal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Rach on this subject and the first to options on the poll. It DOES encourage kids who typical hate reading to read, and it's a harmless children's series. You know J.K. Rowling IS a Christian. So let me ask you this....after reading the Chronicles of Narnia (which have witches, similar occult themes and fantasy things in it) Or maybe Tolkien's Lord of the Rings? He too is Christian...would you want your kids to read those? Or is it different cause C.W. Lewis is a more well known christian author and Rowling is more private about her relationship with God? I think saying it leads kids to the occult is extreme. And if people are so afraid of books, then they obviously don't see it for what it truly is. I think the books are getting scarier and scarier the more she writes, therefore I will have my daughter wait to read them so she won't have nightmares. And I do think the craze about the merchindise (by Warner Brothers, not Rowling, as they own the movie rights, and can do what they please without Rowling's consent concerning the merchindise) and kids who love the books and live it 24/7 is bad. To have nothing else in a childs like BUT that, should be discouraged. And I have seen alot of parents who encourage their kids to read them and whatnot, but not encourage them to go do other activities it seems. Again, this I feel, should be discouraged. No different than people living and breathing their lives for raves or going to Rocky Horror Picture Show each Saturday and living FOR that Saturday no different than a Christian lives for Christ and each Sunday to worship together with others about how wonderful He is. It's just a movie, just books...things that are not important, yet are held up like modern day idols. Which IS wrong even by Biblical stance.

--------------------
Let go and let God.

Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let us therefore be approve one another in the light of what is edifying unto our mind and body, and always been ready in season and out of season! For He is worthy of all holiness and righteousness…

Be ye therefor holy for I AM holy! Casting Away the filthiness of the body and renewing our minds daily with the word of God.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 20 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Rach [thumbsup2]

phaze,

quote:
Just another reason to abolish the First Amendment to the US Constitution. The devil hides behind freedom of speech daily.
Are you kidding?

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rach
Advanced Member
Member # 1386

Icon 20 posted      Profile for Rach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I respect other peoples opinions on fantasy type books, if a parent does not believe a their child should read the book (after they have read it themselves) then it is their decision to make.

The United States of America was founded on 2 basic principles, and it is these princples that make us who we are as a nation. When the Europeans left there homelands in search of the "newland" the were in search of a land of religious freedom, which entailed freedom of Religion and the freedom of Speech. Once Christians were persecuted against, because they could not speak out, for their own religion! Now we live in a great society, where as a whole, we are free to hear and share God's word.

People are fighting and dying everyday for the right, that we take for granted. Before anyone even remotely thinks that abolishing our right to freedom of speech, they need to remember all those people who do NOT have our rights, the millions of Jews who died during Hitlers reign, the people living in poverty in Communist or dictatorship ruled countries, who will die trying to escape, to what we take for granted!

God has more than blessed me by placing me inside this country, with all of my rights of a US citizen, and I will defend every last one of them!

Posts: 41 | From: NC | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phaze
Advanced Member
Member # 1688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just within the last month I heard a Bible reading which denoted all forms of sorcery. I wish I could quote it.

Regardless, I feel that these books are a gateway to further evil and should be banned and burned.

--------------------
Don't be a doubting Thomas

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rach
Advanced Member
Member # 1386

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Rach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is interesting about all of the Harry Potter books, is that it is purely a mix of ancient mythology. Nearly every creature, every character, and every event described in each story has come from one of our own ancient cultures. JK Rowling has blended several ancient cultures together into an interesting set of novels that children like to read, promoting the virtue of goodness triumphing over evil.
Posts: 41 | From: NC | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow five posters voted and they each voted for something different! [cool_shades] Amazing

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess all this fuss about abortion, homosexuality, pornography, drug addiction, gambling ect is uncalled for also?

Ka sara sara?

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragonfly5
Community Member
Member # 1665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragonfly5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this fuss about Harry Potter is uncalled for.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[wave3] What do you think about the Harry Potter craze?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 44 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement