Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Roman Catholics.

Author Topic: Roman Catholics.
njclary
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to repeat myself; There is a broad schism between Catholic and Protestant. The Protestant believes solely on the Scriptures. The Catholic believe what the popes over the Generations tell them.

Does the Catholic believe in God? I'm sure they do.

Does the Catholic believe in Jesus Christ? I'm sure they do.

Does the Catholic believe that the Bible is the Word of God? I'm sure they do.

The problem is all the added stuff. All the Papal edicts, deification of select man. Icon exposition.

Guys and gals; there can never be a meeting of the minds. These debates do nothing but cause divisiveness and anger, and confusion to those who are new to the Faith. This needs to stop and needs to stop now. The differences have been chewwed over and over and over to the point of total irritation.

Catholics are Catholics, Protestants are Protestants. If they cannot get along, then separate.

Thank you.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

You are a good example for all of us! I appreciate your unbiased posts. May the Lord Bless you and keep you!END QUOTE

In other words you are saying that the rest of us are biased. What we say to you is from a bible open in one hand and your teachings open in the other and the two do not jive. So get it straight, Catholicious.

Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Catholicious   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PrayerWarrior,

You are a good example for all of us! I appreciate your unbiased posts. May the Lord Bless you and keep you!

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

--------------------
Acts 20:29-30 (NAB)
29 I know that after my departure savage wolves will come among you, and they will not spare the flock.
30 And from your own group, men will come forward perverting the truth to draw the disciples away after them.

1 Peter 3:15-16 (RSV)
15 but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence;
16 and keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are abused, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

Matthew 5:11 (KJV)
5 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

Posts: 188 | From: Midwest USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePrayerWarrior
Advanced Member
Member # 1324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThePrayerWarrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okie-dokie. Guess I was being a bit harsh.... [Bang Head]
Posts: 51 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prayer Warrior, Your right you got me...
[Big Eyes]

I am sorry I did not mean to be ugly to you. [Prayer]

Some times if I want somebody to agree with me, I post before I pray about it.

So I prayed, and your right, and I am wrong, so please forgive me! Okay? [Kiss]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePrayerWarrior
Advanced Member
Member # 1324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThePrayerWarrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kindgo,
First off, Catholics say prayers to JESUS too. I've heard many ending their prayer with "In Christ's name, AMEN". Catholics are not deceived. That's like telling a cow he can't Moooooo! It doesn't balance! [fie] Catholics believe Christ died and rose again for the sins of the world and they worship HIM. I'm sorry to hear you're so ignorant. It hurts me to know some Christians are still against the Catholic Church. [tears] I'll pray for you. Second, your signatur distrubs me.... JESUS LOVES YOU...but I'm HIS favorite!

Umm....I don't want to spoil the announcement but.... we ALL are HIS favorites! You're not HIS favorite disciple! WE ALL ARE! [Roll Eyes]

Oh, and before I forget...my mother was brought to Church BY ME. I brought my whole family to Church. Before that, only my grandmother and I went to Church. So don't say it all lies at the "foot of the Cross". We all know that. What matters is we go to Church! [Roll Eyes] Got you back! [Laugh]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yea about your mother being a "big Christian"

the ground is level at the foot of the cross...

[Big Clap] [Smile] [Big Clap]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it saddens me that so many people are lost and deceived by the Cathalic Church.

I don't doubt there are many Christians in the Cathalic church.

But many more that haven't got a clue that they are lost. Just because they confess to a man, and say many many prayers to Mary.

The only way is Christ Jesus!

Mary just don't do it [fie]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

ThePrayerWarrior
Advanced Member
Member # 1324

Icon 18 posted      Profile for ThePrayerWarrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked that page...it saddens me to think some of you believe Catholics ARE NOT Christians. In my mother's words (and she is a big CHRISTIAN), "That's dumb!" I rest my case your honorable judge. [Wink]
Rah Rah Rah
First Post
Member # 1342

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Rah Rah Rah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JefffreyLloyd:
quote:
Originally posted by Kindgo:
ThePrayerWarrior Please........check this page out, before you start pointing fingers. [hmm]

web page

quote:
Catholic artwork is famous for immortalizing Jesus in one of two helpless positions - either as a baby in His mother's arms or dead/dying on the cross. Mary, on the other hand, is portrayed as the strong one - the nurturer, protector and caretaker. - From that website Kindgo posted
This is typical anti Catholic nonsense. Our parish has a HUGE Jesus statue depicting his resurrection, hardly the helpless savior.

Instead of going to anti Catholic websites to learn about Jesus, how about reading the words and teachings of the Catholic Church
Knights of Columbus - Catechism of the Catholic Church

## There are pictures of Him as the Good Shepherd too. As crucified, of course, or as an infant. As Resurrected, as Ascending, as High Priest...it's a very long list, and not in the least limited to pictures of the Crucifixion or the Infancy.

What one sees depends very much on what one expects to see. And on where one looks ##

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Catholicious   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
Are Catholics Christian?
Copyright: Dr Joe Mizzi, 2002.

I am sorry homeschool but I have to disagree with virtually everything you have posted here and how you have twisted scripture. I would have to say that you are deceived my friend and you do not even know it. I can tell you are sincere but you do not or will not accept the fullness of Christian truth at your disposal.

If your claims are SO right, then certainly those early Christians that learned the faith directly from the apostles themselves would agree with you and your beliefs, right? I urge you to study the works of those early Church fathers and see for yourself.

Question Are Catholics Christians? If not, why? This is not a negative question. I desire to honestly know if Catholics are considered to be part of the Christian faith.
Answer This is a most important question anybody can ask. Am I a Christian? Or am I one in name only? Do I have a living relationship with Christ?

Well, then, who is really a Christian? Like the Jews of old, people still fool themselves thinking they are right with God because of some ritual (like circumcision or baptism) or because of their heritage (I was born into a Christian family and attend a Christian church).

Yes baptism of the second covenant replaces circumcision of the first as your means of becoming a child of God and as the normative first step towards eternal salvation with God.

Colossians 2:11-12
11 and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ;
12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

1 Peter 3:21
21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you--not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Baptism is the first step towards salvation with JESUS CHRIST. This has always been understood by historical, traditional, Biblical Christians and the message was not perverted until a couple hundred years ago and even then it is still only a small number who have been deceived.

According to the Bible, a true Christian is chosen by God before the foundation of the world, redeemed and forgiven by the blood of Christ, illuminated by the Spirit to know the truth of the Gospel. A Christian is someone who trusts in Christ for his salvation, and gives all praise to God for His grace. (Please refer to Ephesians 1:3-13).

Catholics very much do trust in JESUS CHRIST our Lord and Savior for our salvation. If it were through any other then what would be the point??? Have you been into a Catholic Church and seen JESUS on the cross? How could you not know as a Catholic that He suffered and died for us on the cross to exact our salvation, a salvation in which we do not deserve!

Does a Roman Catholic fit this description? Superficially he does. He believes in Christ and speaks about the grace of God. But if he follows the official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, regretfully I must say that he does not really believe in Christ nor does he know the grace of God. Please allow me to explain.

How can you even purport to make such a statement ..."judge not lest thee be judged" ... are you Catholic? Even if you know a Catholic, is he practicing his Christian faith, if not he is complacent like many other Christians in ALL denominations so he is not a good source. As a Catholic, if you were to follow the teachings of the Church you would be completely holy and in love with JESUS CHRIST!

The Gospel teaches that "a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law" (Romans 3:28).

This is another "tradition of men" inacted by Martin Luther of the protestant reformation along with his idea of "sola scriptura". Nowhere in scripture does it say that were are justified by "faith alone", in fact it is quite the opposite.

James 2:14-26
17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up Isaac his son on the altar?
22 You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected;
24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

In Romans 3, you took that passage out of context not stating the following verses.

Romans 3:28-31 (RSV)
28: For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law.
29: Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also,
30: since God is one; and he will justify the circumcised on the ground of their faith and the uncircumcised through their faith.
31: Do we then overthrow the law by this faith? By no means! On the contrary, we uphold the law.

Verse 31 which you did not state shows that faith does not abolish the law!

To faith, Rome adds a set of deeds (many of which are human inventions), and curses anyone who dares to completely trust in Christ alone for salvation. 'If anyone says that the faith that justifies is nothing else but trust in the divine mercy, which pardons sins because of Christ, or that it is that trust alone by which we are justified, let him be anathema.' (Council of Trent, session 6, cannon 12).

The Catholic Church, the bride and Body of CHRIST, is the guardian of the truth of the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST therefore she must protect the Gospel from those who wish to pervert it.

We firmly believe that our sins are pardoned because of the sacrifice of Christ alone. Rome would have us perform acts of penance and suffer in purgatory to expiate our sins.

I have gone over purgatory before but a moderator here DELETED my post. Purgatory is a form of cleansing or santification if you will before we enter heaven, it is completely Biblical ... "nothing unclean shall enter heaven".

The Bible proclaims Christ, the Priest who offered himself once for all. Rome would have us apply to her priests who daily offer their sacrifices on the altar. The Bible proclaims Christ as the only Mediator, Rome would have us apply to other mediators, like Mary, the saints and the church.

I have gone over this before also, all that you mention is Biblical. JESUS CHRIST is indeed our one mediator but that does not proclude us from asking other Christians "saints" in the mystical Body of Christ to pray for us. I am sure you do the same.

I will get to the rest of your post when I have more time.

--------------------
29 I know that after my departure savage wolves will come among you, and they will not spare the flock.
30 And from your own group, men will come forward perverting the truth to draw the disciples away after them.

15 but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence;
16 and keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are abused, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

5 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

Posts: 188 | From: Midwest USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are Catholics Christian?
Copyright: Dr Joe Mizzi, 2002.

Question Are Catholics Christians? If not, why? This is not a negative question. I desire to honestly know if Catholics are considered to be part of the Christian faith.
Answer This is a most important question anybody can ask. Am I a Christian? Or am I one in name only? Do I have a living relationship with Christ?

Well, then, who is really a Christian? Like the Jews of old, people still fool themselves thinking they are right with God because of some ritual (like circumcision or baptism) or because of their heritage (I was born into a Christian family and attend a Christian church).

According to the Bible, a true Christian is chosen by God before the foundation of the world, redeemed and forgiven by the blood of Christ, illuminated by the Spirit to know the truth of the Gospel. A Christian is someone who trusts in Christ for his salvation, and gives all praise to God for His grace. (Please refer to Ephesians 1:3-13).

Does a Roman Catholic fit this description? Superficially he does. He believes in Christ and speaks about the grace of God. But if he follows the official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, regretfully I must say that he does not really believe in Christ nor does he know the grace of God. Please allow me to explain.

The Gospel teaches that "a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law" (Romans 3:28). To faith, Rome adds a set of deeds (many of which are human inventions), and curses anyone who dares to completely trust in Christ alone for salvation. 'If anyone says that the faith that justifies is nothing else but trust in the divine mercy, which pardons sins because of Christ, or that it is that trust alone by which we are justified, let him be anathema.' (Council of Trent, session 6, cannon 12).

We firmly believe that our sins are pardoned because of the sacrifice of Christ alone. Rome would have us perform acts of penance and suffer in purgatory to expiate our sins. The Bible proclaims Christ, the Priest who offered himself once for all. Rome would have us apply to her priests who daily offer their sacrifices on the altar. The Bible proclaims Christ as the only Mediator, Rome would have us apply to other mediators, like Mary, the saints and the church.

Again, we assert that we are 'justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus' (Romans 3:24). The Bible clearly defines what grace is and is not. 'To him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt' (Romans 4:4) Grace is unmerited favour, as opposed to the merit of works.

Rome outwardly teaches that we are justified by grace. However the 'grace' of Catholicism is a very strange species. The Catholic church states that 'we can then merit for ourselves...the graces needed...for the attainment of eternal life' (CCC, para. 2010). To merit grace is a contradiction in terms. Rome would not allow you to receive the gift of salvation with a grateful heart, but would have you work like a slave to merit it.

We are forced to conclude that the message of Rome is a different gospel. I dare affirm it's a false gospel. I say this with much sadness and concern for the multitudes of Catholics who blindly follow this false system. I must warn every Catholic that Christ is of no avail unless they relinquish any confidence in themselves and their works, and in every other creature. Faith must be in Christ - alone!

Having said that, I gladly add the following. There may be some nominal Catholics, either out of ignorance or rejection of Catholic doctrine, who truly trust in Christ alone for their salvation. They are Christians and truly belong to God.

Yet they are in the wrong place. There is a description in the book of Revelation of a deceptive and false religious system named Babylon. It is not my intention to discuss the exact nature of this Babylon. The principle remains the same. Some Christians were trapped inside this deceptive system and God gives them a specific command: "Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues" (Revelation 18:4). Thank God that even in Babylon, God has His people. If you are a Christian entrapped in the false religious system of Rome, hear God's calling and come out of her. You will experience liberty and life like never before.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Birdinparadise
Advanced Member
Member # 1335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Birdinparadise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[
quote:
Originally posted by Catholicious:

[Catholicious] That would be personal interpretation that came about only a couple hundred years ago, not professed by the early Christians or any Christians those first 1800 years! You should read the writings of those early Christians so you can see for yourself what they thought about that topic and see if it corresponds to your current understanding.

Yes, you are right. This must be personal interpretation.

You MUST be born again. Salvation is found in no-one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to people by which we MUST BE SAVED.
Holy Bible, Jn 3:7 Acts 4:12 NIV

Btw--I never said Catholics were not Christians (this is not addressed to you Catholious but the people which replied) everything I have said is my personal opinion and belief. I never said that there were not good people and true believers within your denomination. We are all followers--and God willing --BELIEVERS!

God Bless!

--------------------
Look at the birds of the air,for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

...Matthew 6:26

Posts: 22 | From: CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 15 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I want to learn about Jesus I go right to The Word Of God. Why do I want to go to other men?
God wants a personal relationship, why settle for a second hand one.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

Instead of going to anti Catholic websites to learn about Jesus, how about reading the words and teachings of the Catholic Church. END QUOTE.

No thanks, been there, done that.
I think the catholic issue has run its course, lets move on.

JefffreyLloyd
Advanced Member
Member # 1151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JefffreyLloyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kindgo:
ThePrayerWarrior Please........check this page out, before you start pointing fingers. [hmm]

web page

quote:
Catholic artwork is famous for immortalizing Jesus in one of two helpless positions - either as a baby in His mother's arms or dead/dying on the cross. Mary, on the other hand, is portrayed as the strong one - the nurturer, protector and caretaker. - From that website Kindgo posted
This is typical anti Catholic nonsense. Our parish has a HUGE Jesus statue depicting his resurrection, hardly the helpless savior.

Instead of going to anti Catholic websites to learn about Jesus, how about reading the words and teachings of the Catholic Church
Knights of Columbus - Catechism of the Catholic Church

--------------------
Vivat Jesus!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, worlds without end. Amen.

Posts: 122 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JefffreyLloyd
Advanced Member
Member # 1151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JefffreyLloyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ThePrayerWarrior:
I am quite shocked how many of you think Roman Catholics aren't Christians. It hurts me to see Christians think such things... [Big Eyes] [Big Eyes]

Thanks PrayerWarrior! God bless you!

Jeff
Catholic - Christian!

--------------------
Vivat Jesus!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, worlds without end. Amen.

Posts: 122 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

web page

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

ThePrayerWarrior
Advanced Member
Member # 1324

Icon 8 posted      Profile for ThePrayerWarrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am quite shocked how many of you think Roman Catholics aren't Christians. It hurts me to see Christians think such things... [Big Eyes] [Big Eyes]
Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

quote:
Originally posted by Birdinparadise:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Catholicious:

No offense taken. I believe it extremely important to discuss CHRIST always in charity. As a Catholic, did you not understand that JESUS CHRIST our Lord and Savior is truly present, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Blessed Sacrament, the Eucharist which we receive at every Mass?

I agree with you about discussing the Lord in charity (it would appear that we agree on at least that point--and that he IS Lord). This is my personal opinion and I am by no means attacking you or your church. I however clearly recall several friends, when we were small children being terrified to chew the sacramental host (communion for those that don't know the lingo)--for fear that it was a sin...because this nonscence is what we were taught. The very idea that communion actually turns LITERALLY as the Catholics do into the body and blood of Christ. I believe he meant it to be symbolic.Something to prepare the Apostles for what was to come. Something for them to hold onto till the spirit came.

[Catholicious] JESUS presence in the Eucharist is NOT symbolic, it is completely literal, why would JESUS repeat Himself so many times in John 6?

John 6:32-71 (KJV)
35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
41 The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.
48 I am that bread of life.
51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

How can JESUS make it anymore clear that the Bread and Wine truly BECOME His Body and Blood??? If you choose to ignore the entirety of John 6 you may wish to appeal to John 6:63 to defend your position, that the flesh does not profit and the words He speaks are spirit and life.
He is saying our flesh profits nothing, he certainly does not mean HIS OWN FLESH profits nothing! Think about it. And yes the words He speaks to us are spirit and life, of course but that does not take away from what He has just revealed to us. Also, would He make such a dramatic case repeating Himself over and over and over again just to say at the end, nah I was just kidding??? That would make Him out to be foolish. And here is the clincher, His disciples stop following Him over this issue because they cannot accept the teaching and He does not correct them like he had in the past when they did not understand. Here is another reason why arguing from a symbolic sense does not make sense using John 6:63, because He
says this BEFORE His disciples leave!!! This means that if the reason they were leaving Him was because they could not believe that He was actually giving them His actual Body and Blood to eat, they certainly would not have left after He just clarified that it was symbolic in John 6:63! Those disciples knew what JESUS meant, He did not correct them because He knew they knew what He meant but they could not accept it so He let them leave.

1 Corinthians 11:23-30 (KJV)
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

1 Cor 11:23-30 further illustrates this reality.

What the early Christians believed about the Eucharist:

Ignatius of Antioch
"I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire his blood, which is love incorruptible" (Letter to the Romans 7:3 [A.D. 110]).
"Take note of those who hold heterodox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ which has come to us, and see how contrary their opinions are to the mind of God. . . . They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which that Father, in his goodness, raised up again. They who deny the gift of God are perishing in their disputes" (Letter to the Smyrnaeans 6:2–7:1 [A.D. 110]).

Justin Martyr
"We call this food Eucharist, and no one else is permitted to partake of it, except one who believes our teaching to be true and who has been washed in the washing which is for the remission of sins and for regeneration [i.e., has received baptism] and is thereby living as Christ enjoined. For not as common bread nor common drink do we receive these; but since Jesus Christ our Savior was made incarnate by the word of God and had both flesh
and blood for our salvation, so too, as we have been taught, the food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic prayer set down by him, and by the change of which our blood and flesh is nurtured, is both the flesh and the blood of that incarnated Jesus" (First Apology 66 [A.D. 151]).

We cannot be lead by emotions and feelings alone, they can lead you astray.

You have to have FAITH that you won't be led astray..trust in the Holy Spirit...it's called stepping out of the boat and focusing on the Lord.

[Catholicious] I agree but a lack of faith is what caused His followers to leave JESUS in John 6:66 but remember through God all things are possible.

Matthew 19
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

We as Catholics have amazing power and flexibility in our prayer life and our participation in the sacraments. We can go directly to Christ if we wish but because of our understanding of the mystical Body of Christ we understand that the saints are not dead, in fact they are more alive than we are and they are interceding on our behalf.

...you're missing another important point. WE as the church ARE the saints.

[Catholicious] Yes, the mystical Body of Christ, those in Christ here on earth and in Heaven are saints ... we are one Body ...

We are not forced to confess our sins to a priest although it is recommended to go at least once a year (he is acting through Christ to forgive sins, not on his own authority), we can personally ask God for forgiveness but it is most beneficial to go to a priest in that prior to the meeting you make a good "examination of conscience" (to make an accurate account of those sins you have committed and at the time of confession you hear those words of absolution "Your sins are forgiven you."

More beneficial than going directly to God? [tears]

[Catholicious] Yes, we are still going to God and also we get the necessary feedback that we have been forgiven our sins. Why would JESUS commission the apostles to forgive sins in His absence only for that power to die with them??? This was a gift for all time. Think about it.

What you do not understand is that the source of your salvation was actually your baptism, presumably as a child, not your personal proclamation to our Lord This idea you profess of being "born again" is only a couple hundred years ago.

Try 2,000 years ago. When Jesus said so. [Cross]

[Catholicious] That would be personal interpretation that came about only a couple hundred years ago, not professed by the early Christians or any Christians those first 1800 years! You should read the writings of those early Christians so you can see for yourself what they thought about that topic and see if it corresponds to your current understanding.

2 Peter 1:20
20 Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation,

2 Peter 3:16
16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard
to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

I do hope this helps Birdsinparadise!

--------------------

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

Birdinparadise
Advanced Member
Member # 1335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Birdinparadise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

]No offense taken. I believe it extremely important to discuss CHRIST always in charity. As a Catholic, did you not understand that JESUS CHRIST our Lord and Savior is truly present, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Blessed Sacrament, the Eucharist which we receive at every Mass?

I agree with you about discussing the Lord in charity (it would appear that we agree on at least that point--and that he IS Lord). This is my personal opinion and I am by no means attacking you or your church. I however clearly recall several friends, when we were small children being terrified to chew the sacramental host (communion for those that don't know the lingo)--for fear that it was a sin...because this nonscence is what we were taught. The very idea that communion actually turns LITERALLY as the Catholics do into the body and blood of Christ. I believe he meant it to be symbolic.Something to prepare the Apostles for what was to come. Something for them to hold onto till the spirit came.

We cannot be lead by emotions and feelings alone, they can lead you astray.

You have to have FAITH that you won't be led astray..trust in the Holy Spirit...it's called stepping out of the boat and focusing on the Lord.

We as Catholics have amazing power and flexibility in our prayer life and our participation in the sacraments. We can go directly to Christ if we wish but because of our understanding of the mystical Body of Christ we understand that the saints are not dead, in fact they are more alive than we are and they are interceding on our behalf.

...you're missing another important point. WE as the church ARE the saints.

[b]We are not forced to confess our sins to a priest although it is recommended to go at least once a year (he is acting through Christ to forgive sins, not on his own authority), we can personally ask God for forgiveness but it is most beneficial to go to a priest in that prior to the meeting you make a good "examination of conscience" (to make an accurate account of those sins you have committed and at the time of confession you hear those words of absolution "Your sins are forgiven you."

More beneficial than going directly to God? [tears]

What you do not understand is that the source of your salvation was actually your baptism, presumably as a child, not your personal proclamation to our Lord This idea you profess of being "born again" is only a couple hundred years ago.

Try 2,000 years ago. When Jesus said so. [Cross]

--------------------
Look at the birds of the air,for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

Posts: 22 | From: CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

quote:
If you left the Catholic Church, I can only postulate that you were not taught or did not understand your faith. Otherwise how could you leave Jesus behind?!?

I think you are missing the point (no offense to you Catholicious). I did NOT leave Jesus behind. Actually, let me rephrase--he did not leave ME behind. When I was in the Catholic faith (and I am in no way saying that there aren't true believers in Jesus within your church) but when I was in your church I did NOT feel close to God.

No offense taken. I believe it extremely important to discuss CHRIST always in charity. As a Catholic, did you not understand that JESUS CHRIST our Lord and Savior is truly present, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Blessed Sacrament, the Eucharist which we receive at every Mass? Did you not realize that you could go to Church and pray before Him in the tabernacle and that you were truly in His presence? You cannot determine whether or not the Church is true by looking at those who claim to be Catholic. The Church is filled with both saints and sinners. Were these Catholics adamently following the teachings of Christ and His Church or were they complacent? The choice to follow Christ no matter what church you belong to is your OWN PERSONAL decision, the church cannot force you to zealously follow our Lord. We cannot be lead by emotions and feelings alone, they can lead you astray. Almost every denomination or faith speaks of some feeling that lets them know that their faith is true. So when Mormons speak of "a burning in the busom" that lets them know that their faith is true are we to conclude that Mormonism is the true faith? Of course not, we cannot be lead by feeling alone, we must appeal to reason and truth.

in fact...Between confessing to a priest, then praying to saints etc and being taught that we (because we are not "sanctified" priests,cardinals,bishops and the like) had no power as Christians.

We as Catholics have amazing power and flexibility in our prayer life and our participation in the sacraments. You being a Catholic HAD to know that we were not forced to pray to saints, it is an option that is available to us. We can go directly to Christ if we wish but because of our understanding of the mystical Body of Christ we understand that the saints are not dead, in fact they are more alive than we are and they are interceding on our behalf.

Revelation 8:3-4 (KJV)
3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.
4 And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

Same way with confession to a priest, Christ commissioned His apostles to preach the Gospel and forgive sins.

John 20:21-23 (KJV)
21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

We are not forced to confess our sins to a priest although it is recommended to go at least once a year (he is acting through Christ to forgive sins, not on his own authority), we can personally ask God for forgiveness but it is most beneficial to go to a priest in that prior to the meeting you make a good "examination of conscience" (to make an accurate account of those sins you have committed and at the time of confession you hear those words of absolution "Your sins are forgiven you." Hearing personally that your sins are forgiven you is very powerful and liberating, and mind you this is NOT by his authority but by CHRIST because of his commission.

[b]Matthew 18:18 (KJV)

18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

I had never felt farther away. When I was saved in another denomination--and started bible study--it was THEN that I began to feel like I could really reach out and touch Jesus' hand.

I am sorry to hear that you felt that way birdsinparadise. What you do not understand is that the source of your salvation was actually your baptism, presumably as a child, not your personal proclamation to our Lord. I am not going to get into a big fight about this, baptism as the normative first step towards salvation is the traditional Christian understanding professed in the Bible and the early Church fathers. This idea you profess of being "born again" is only a couple hundred years ago. I implore you to research what those early Christians believed about the faith. The Catholic Church offers Bible study, there again it is on YOUR OWN initiative whether or not you decide to participate in that form of spiritual growth, the Church cannot force you. People proclaim this closeness to CHRIST in all Christian denominations, EVEN the one you left.

My entire point was that although the Catholic church may indeed be very old---there is a church that is older still...the church that believes in the TRUE power of the spirit.

Yes indeed the Catholic Church is old, but more than that it is the visible Church that Christ Himself founded when he gave Simon his three-fold blessing making him the Rock "Peter" upon
which the Church would be built. He gave Peter and Peter alone the keys to the kingdom [an ancient symbol of authority from Isaiah 22:22].

Matthew 16:18-19 (KJV)
17 And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
18 "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

The Catholic Church is not different from the Church of the apostles, it is one in the same with an unbroken continuity from CHRIST to present day. Those earliest Church fathers learned their faith directly from the apostles and already by the year 107 A.D. they were calling the Church Christ founded "catholic" which means universal.

I hope this helps and may the Holy Spirit guide you to all truth in your journey!

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious [Bible] [Prayer] [Cross]

God Bless

--------------------

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

Birdinparadise
Advanced Member
Member # 1335

If you left the Catholic Church, I can only postulate that you were not taught or did not understand your faith. Otherwise how could you leave Jesus behind?!?

I think you are missing the point (no offense to you Catholicious). I did NOT leave Jesus behind. Actually, let me rephrase--he did not leave ME behind. When I was in the Catholic faith (and I am in no way saying that there aren't true believers in Jesus within your church) but when I was in your church I did NOT feel close to God. in fact...Between confessing to a priest, then praying to saints etc and being taught that we (because we are not "sanctified" priests,cardinals,bishops and the like) had no power as Christians. I had never felt farther away. When I was saved in another denomination--and started bible study--it was THEN that I began to feel like I could really reach out and touch Jesus' hand. My entire point was that although the Catholic church may indeed be very old---there is a church that is older still...the church that believes in the TRUE power of the spirit.

God Bless

--------------------

ThePrayerWarrior
Advanced Member
Member # 1324

Icon 21 posted      Profile for ThePrayerWarrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why thank you Catholicious! Notice my new sig? It's on the Harry Potter & Star Wars forum I go to. I am witnessing for Christ there too. When people click on the NeedHim link, they may accept Christ Jesus as their LORD and Savior. Then I'm fullfilling my part of the Great Commission.

Matthew 16:20 is the verse I believe.... [Smile] [Big Grin] [Smile] [thumbsup] [Cross] [spiny]

Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

Thanks for the support PrayerWarrior, you are correct ... "judge not lest thee be judged". We as Christians are in no position to judge for there is only one judge and that is God. I appreciate your vote as well ... you are true witness to Christ. [Big Clap] [Smile] [Big Clap] [Smile] [Big Clap]

--------------------

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

quote:
[QB] It is sad because the Catholic Church is the oldest Christian Church in the world, and we actually have to defend ourselfs against our christian brothers and sisters.
Weelllllll--actually this is not necessarily "true". The APOSTLES were technically the first church--they were touched by the fire of the spirit--which as I recall as a former Catholic--was no longer considered "valid" in this day and age. If we really want to get down to the nitty gritty--let's also discuss the forced upon Catholic tradition, since childhood of being made to call priests "Father". Our savior directly says...
Matthew 23:9
" DO NOT (that dosen't mean MAYBE my Catholic bros and sisters) call anyone on earth your father; for ONE is your Father,He who is in Heaven."
the difference between being a Catholic and being Born Again is this...
NEVER before did the Roman Catholic Church discuss the power that is our inheritance through Christ. In fact, this power of the spirit was directly ignored..after all we aren't "priests,cardinals and bishops.." Only mere followers ( EVERYDAY believers you know like those APOSTLE guys!) The DIFFERENCE between being a Catholic and now? it feels as if 2,000 yrs in between the Master and us , NEVER HAPPENED.

God Bless [thumbsup]

Thanks for your generous reply birdsinparadise! Do you own birds, I ask because of your name? I have two conures, a dusky and a maroon belly. I am sorry that you left the Catholic faith you grew up with. Why did you leave the faith, you really did not elaborate on that? I would be personally interested in what pulled you away from the Church - I am always interested in this stuff.

I kinda got away from my faith as a young college student myself having many non-denomination friends that constantly challenged my Catholic faith, telling me that it was wrong. So I decided to study scripture and Church history and I found that her teachings were in complete harmony with scripture, and certainly they had to be since she is guided to all truth by the Holy Spirit. If you left the Catholic Church, I can only postulate that you were not taught or did not understand your faith. Otherwise how could you leave Jesus behind?!? He is truly present in our spiritual food, the Eucharist (Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity) that we take part in every Mass.

Your statement of "call no man father" if taken verbatum would exclude Abraham as being Father Abraham numerous times in the Bible, it would proclude St. Paul from calling himself our spiritual father and if you look at the verse you quote:

Matthew 23:8-10 (KJV)
8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

In addition not to referring to anyone as Father, you also cannot use Rabbi / Teacher or Master if you use this type of logic. Certainly God did not prohibit our use of the word "Father". If you must insist on this meaning all the others listed must be banned as well. I hope this helps!

--------------------

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

ThePrayerWarrior
Advanced Member
Member # 1324

Icon 15 posted      Profile for ThePrayerWarrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I voted that the Catholic Church's followers ARE Christians. WHO ARE WE to determine who is or isn't a Christian? Only the LORD can determine that. To call a believer a non-believer is being judgemental. Catholics are Christians. They worship God, Jesus, & the Trininty. Sure they pray to saints asking for intercession, but who is to say if that's idol worship or illegal? Only the LORD JESUS Christ can have that say. We don't know HIS thought on that issue. The bottom line is that Catholics are Christians and we shouldn't judge them by their actions.

WE HAVE NO RIGHT to discuss this. This is a pointless thread....

Birdinparadise
Advanced Member
Member # 1335

Icon 21 posted      Profile for Birdinparadise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QB] It is sad because the Catholic Church is the oldest Christian Church in the world, and we actually have to defend ourselfs against our christian brothers and sisters.
Weelllllll--actually this is not necessarily "true". The APOSTLES were technically the first church--they were touched by the fire of the spirit--which as I recall as a former Catholic--was no longer considered "valid" in this day and age. If we really want to get down to the nitty gritty--let's also discuss the forced upon Catholic tradition, since childhood of being made to call priests "Father". Our savior directly says...
Matthew 23:9
" DO NOT (that dosen't mean MAYBE my Catholic bros and sisters) call anyone on earth your father; for ONE is your Father,He who is in Heaven."
the difference between being a Catholic and being Born Again is this...
NEVER before did the Roman Catholic Church discuss the power that is our inheritance through Christ. In fact, this power of the spirit was directly ignored..after all we aren't "priests,cardinals and bishops.." Only mere followers ( EVERYDAY believers you know like those APOSTLE guys!) The DIFFERENCE between being a Catholic and now? it feels as if 2,000 yrs in between the Master and us , NEVER HAPPENED.

God Bless [thumbsup]

--------------------

Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

Wow, the polls are starting to swing in the Church's favor! Now only 60% of those who responded feel that Roman Catholics are not Christians! Great news indeed. [thumbsup]

Hey I am being positive here, at one point it was +80%. This begs the question though, is this meant to include the Eastern Catholics and the Orthodox Churches that are not in communion with Rome but very close in theology nonetheless? Thanks guys, take care!

--------------------

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ckey look at my second post, which was posted the next day
Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ckey
Member # 1330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ckey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by wparr:
This can't be answered yes or no. Some catholics are christians, but being catholic doesn't make one a christian and more than sitting in a garage makes one a car

True.

But is it not important to note that being Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Assembly of God, AME, Presbyterian, etc also do not make one a Christian?

Let's not single out Catholics for this.

There are many who affiliate themselves with a church body or individual church and that affiliation in and of itself doesn't not make them Christian.

Are there those who claim to be Catholic who are not Christian? Certainly. But that is because they are human beings who do not truly believe in Christ and not because they belong to the Catholic Church.

I believe the question was trying to determine if the mindset here is that all people who belong to the Catholic Church are not Christian.

An attitude which I run across regularly and which I find appalling.

--------------------
ckey

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blessed2bcatholic
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blessed2bcatholic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who are you trying to fool? Yes, there may be a few sincere catholics but the numerous ones I have come in contact with drink, swear and could not quote a verse of scripture, not to mention their morals. And I don't mean a handful of Catholics, in my 55 years of living, I have come across them over and over again and their lifestyles have much to be desired. I grew up in a french town that was 98 % catholic and I need not get into what they did as "good catholics".
I understand that we are all sinful, and corrupt activity occurs with many other people as well but these folk in the little french town never failed to go to mass Sunday morning after doing
abominable things Saturday night.
As I grew older I moved to a different province, and settled into a new town only to find the roman church filled with hung over and sleeping parisheners while the priest did his mass in latin.
Sorry Jeffrey, take a closer look at your congregation and tell me what you see. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Dear Art,

I am so sorry that you were witness to such "Catholics". I don't know about other Catholics on this board, but I am always frustrated when I hear stories like yours. First, I am frustrated that people like those in your town called themselves Catholics while not living their faith. I am always sorry for this.

But I am also sorry that you would discount the Church simply because she is full of sinners. This is the same argument I have heard so many times from atheists: Christians are just a bunch of hypocrates. My answer: Sure we are, so thank God for Christ!!

This is not an EXCUSE for sinful behavior, but it proves that we DO need a Savior. Also, it is most interesting to me that while you claim that faith alone will save you, you call Catholics out for not keeping up their works. This logic is confusing to me.

In Jesus, Mary and Joseph,

Catherine [Smile]

Posts: 3 | From: East Lansing, MI | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inquisition

Sources
Because of the nature of this subject, care must be taken in choosing readings. Until recently, Protestant literature on the Inquisition tended to be hostile to the Catholic Church, while Catholic literature tended to be apologetic and justificatory. A balanced introduction to the early period is Bernard Hamilton, The Medieval Inquisition (New York: Holmes & Meier, 1981). For a frank Catholic discussion of the Inquisition and its problems, see John A. O'Brien, The Inquisition (New York: Macmillan; London: Collier Macmillan, 1973). For a more historiographical approach, see Edward Peters, Inquisition (New York: Free Press; London: Collier Macmillan, 1988). For the Inquisition and its procedures in Italy during Galileo's time, see John Tedeschi, The Prosecution of Heresy: Collected Studies on the Inquisition in Early Modern Italy (Binghamton, NY: Center for Medieval and Early Renaissance Studies, 1991).
Inquisition

The Inquisition was a permanent institution in the Catholic Church charged with the eradication of heresies. Unlike many other religions (e.g., Buddhism, Judaism), the Catholic Church has a hierarchical structure with a central bureaucracy. In the early years of the church, there were several competing sects that called themselves Christian. But after the Emperor Constantine I (280?-337 CE) made Christianity the state religion of the Roman Empire and the local administrative structures were pulled together into one hierarchy centered in Rome, doctrinal arguments were settled by Church Councils, beginning with the Council of Nicea in 325 (which formulated the Nicean Creed). Those whose beliefs or practices deviated sufficiently from the orthodoxy of the councils now became the objects of efforts to bring them into the fold. Resistance often led to persecution.

Heresies (from L. haeresis, sect, school of belief) were a problem for the Church from the beginning. In the early centuries there were the Arians and Manicheans; in the Middle Ages there were the Cathari and Waldenses; and in the Renaissance there were the Hussites, Lutherans, Calvinists, and Rosicrucians. Efforts to suppress heresies were initially ad hoc. But in the Middle Ages a permanent structure came into being to deal with the problem. Beginning in the 12th century, Church Councils required secular rulers to prosecute heretics. In 1231, Pope Gregory IX published a decree which called for life imprisonment with salutary penance for the heretic who had confessed and repented and capital punishment for those who persisted. The secular authorities were to carry out the execution. Pope Gregory relieved the bishops and archbishops of this obligation, and made it the duty of the Dominican Order*, though many inquisitors were members of other orders or of the secular clergy. By the end of the decade the Inquisition had become a general institution in all lands under the purview of the Pope. By the end of the 13th centuries the Inquisition in each region had a bureaucracy to help in its function.

The judge, or inquisitor, could bring suit against anyone. The accused had to testify against himself/herself and not have the right to face and question his/her accuser. It was acceptable to take testimony from criminals, persons of bad reputation, excommunicated people, and heretics. The accused did not have right to counsel, and blood relationship did not exempt one from the duty to testify against the accused. Sentences could not be appealed Sometimes inquisitors interrogated entire populations in their jurisdiction. The inquisitor questioned the accused in the presence of at least two witnesses. The accused was given a summary of the charges and had to take an oath to tell the truth. Various means were used to get the cooperation of the accused. Although there was no tradition of torture in Christian canon law, this method came into use by the middle of the 13th century. The findings of the Inquisition were read before a large audience; the penitents abjured on their knees with one hand on a bible held by the inquisitor. Penalties went from visits to churches, pilgrimages, and wearing the cross of infamy to imprisonment (usually for life but the sentences were often commuted) and (if the accused would not abjure) death. Death was by burning at the stake, and it was carried out by the secular authorities. In some serious cases when the accused had died before proceedings could be instituted, his or her remains could be exhumed and burned. Death or life imprisonment was always accompanied by the confiscation of all the accused's property.

Abuses by local Inquisitions early on led to reform and regulation by Rome, and in the 14th century intervention by secular authorities became common. At the end of the 15th century, under Ferdinand and Isabel, the Spanish inquisition became independent of Rome. In its dealings with converted Moslems and Jews and also illuminists, the Spanish Inquisition with its notorious autos-da-fé represents a dark chapter in the history of the Inquisition. In northern Europe the Inquisition was considerably more benign: in England it was never instituted, and in the Scandinavian countries it had hardly any impact.

Pope Paul III established, in 1542, a permanent congregation staffed with cardinals and other officials, whose task it was to maintain and defend the integrity of the faith and to examine and proscribe errors and false doctrines. This body, the Congregation of the Holy Office, now called the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, part of the Roman Curia, became the supervisory body of local Inquisitions. The Pope himself holds the title of prefect but never exercises this office. Instead, he appoints one of the cardinals* to preside over the meetings. There are usually ten other cardinals on the Congregation, as well as a prelate and two assistants all chosen from the Dominican order. The Holy Office also has an international group of consultants, experienced scholars of theology and canon law, who advise it on specific questions. In 1616 these consultants gave their assessment of the propositions that the Sun is immobile and at the center of the universe and that the Earth moves around it, judging both to be "foolish and absurd in philosophy," and the first to be "formally heretical" and the second "at least erroneous in faith" in theology. This assessment led to Copernicus's De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium to be placed on the Index of Forbidden Books, until revised and Galileo to be admonished about his Copernicanism. It was this same body in 1633 that tried Galileo.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

Catholics do everything you said Art. It is a pitty that you don't know that.
END QUOTE

Who are you trying to fool? Yes, there may be a few sincere catholics but the numerous ones I have come in contact with drink, swear and could not quote a verse of scripture, not to mention their morals. And I don't mean a handful of Catholics, in my 55 years of living, I have come across them over and over again and their lifestyles have much to be desired. I grew up in a french town that was 98 % catholic and I need not get into what they did as "good catholics".
I understand that we are all sinful, and corrupt activity occurs with many other people as well but these folk in the little french town never failed to go to mass Sunday morning after doing
abominable things Saturday night.
As I grew older I moved to a different province, and settled into a new town only to find the roman church filled with hung over and sleeping parisheners while the priest did his mass in latin.
Sorry Jeffrey, take a closer look at your congregation and tell me what you see.

JefffreyLloyd
Advanced Member
Member # 1151

It is sad because the Catholic Church is the oldest Christian Church in the world, and we actually have to defend ourselfs against our christian brothers and sisters.

Catholics do everything you said Art. It is a pitty that you don't know that.

I don't know how many times we have to say how much we love Christ and how we must believe in him for salvation.

That is sad.

Jeff [tears]

quote:
Originally posted by art:
Jeffrey says:
This is truly sad.

Why is this sad?
The only sad part is that catholics "think" they are saved ,and have been decieved by the Vatican.
If they would come to the saviour as lost , helpless and hopeless sinners, and trust in Christ to be cleansed from sin, then the sadness can be turned into gladness.
Salvation is only in Christ, not in any religious organization.

--------------------
Vivat Jesus!

art
unregistered

Jeffrey says:
This is truly sad.

Why is this sad?
The only sad part is that catholics "think" they are saved ,and have been decieved by the Vatican.
If they would come to the saviour as lost , helpless and hopeless sinners, and trust in Christ to be cleansed from sin, then the sadness can be turned into gladness.
Salvation is only in Christ, not in any religious organization.

Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wparr said it well:

quote:
This can't be answered yes or no. Some catholics are christians, but being catholic doesn't make one a christian and more than sitting in a garage makes one a car

I think some of the Catholics I have known rest on Jesus for their salvation. But too often they believe they are saved by their own works.

Gary

--------------------
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23 NASB

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JefffreyLloyd
Advanced Member
Member # 1151

This is truly sad. [tears]

--------------------
Vivat Jesus!

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 16 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't vote. I honestly can say no one is able to vote on a large scale pertaing to salvation.

Jesus didn't die for catholics, or baptists, or calvinists, or arminians. He died for people.

Asking if catholics are christians is as absurd as asking if baptists are christians, or presbyterians are christians.

No one can look at someone's "label" and say that makes them a christian. God looks at the individuals heart (not what denomination they claim, or which bulding they worship in) if God sees Jesus in that persons heart they are a christian. [Big Clap]

If you stand before Christ and he says "I knew you not" your damned to hell not matter what you call yourself.Period end of story. [mad2]

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, Unless a man is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:15 Then everyone who believes in him {Jesus} will have eternal life."

1Pe 1:23 You have been born again, not from a seed that can be destroyed, but through God's everlasting word that can't be destroyed. That's why Scripture says,

Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

Jefffrey,

The two votes for must be you and me buddy, simply amazing! [fie] [eek] [fie] [eek] [fie]

Peace brother!

Catholicious [Bible] [Prayer]

--------------------

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is every catholic One relating to, belonging to, or resembling Christ? NO....

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JefffreyLloyd
Advanced Member
Member # 1151

Icon 16 posted      Profile for JefffreyLloyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel silly posting this, but I really wonder what some of you really think.

God Bless!

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 20 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
Vivat Jesus!

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement