Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » - A Priceless Book -

Author Topic: - A Priceless Book -
Abednego
Advanced Member
Member # 8189

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Abednego   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psalm 119:27, "Make me understand the way of Your precepts; so shall I meditate on Your wonderful works"

Books, magazines, and other media are the preoccupation and primary influence in people’s lives today. Oh how foolish that is! We have at our disposal the Word of Life … the only Book that tells us how to know God and how to live an abundant life. My friend the Bible is unlike any other book you have ever read. It’s given by God's inspiration and is His revelation to mankind. Within its pages speak of earthly things and human experiences. It also describes with clarity and authority areas of heaven and earth, things seen and unseen; revealing facts about God, angels, men, time and eternity, life and death; of sin; of heaven and hell. More importantly we find within its pages everything we need to know to receive salvation and then how we are to live for the Lord. The apostle Paul declared that it "is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16). However, thousands of people devote more time to learning about the Bible than in discovering its message. After 30 years as a pastor, a New Jersey minister concluded, "The Bible is the best-selling, least-read, and least-understood book." In his view, "Biblical illiteracy is rampant." George Gallup, the foremost religion pollster in the United States agrees. "We revere the Bible," he says, "but we don't read it."

The psalmist when asking God to help him understand the way of His precepts desired an increased knowledge of God and His will, and that my friend should be our desire also. Let's prayerfully study the contents of the Bible to discover what God is saying to us about Himself and especially His plan for our lives. 1 Samuel 3:10 puts it this way, "Speak, for Your servant hears." We need to be like Samuel, willing to pause in the midst of life's turmoil to hear the voice of the Lord. And we have this opportunity if we prayerfully read and study the Bible regularly. You see, God's Spirit communicates to us through the Word. Thomas A. Kempis (1379-1471) summed it up well when he wrote, "Blessed indeed are those ears which listen not for the voice sounding without, but for the truth teaching inwardly. Blessed are the eyes that are shut to outward things but intent on things inward. Blessed are they who are glad to have time to spare for God, and who shake off all worldly hindrances. Consider these things, O my soul, and hear what the Lord your God speaks." How long has it been since you've asked the Lord to make your heart receptive to His Word? He wants to hear you say, "Speak, Lord, I'm listening."

Closing thoughts:

The greatest cause for our neglect of the Bible is not lack of time but lack of heart. Someone elses word is taking the place of the Word of God. There are many good books and magazines to read; however, we must not neglect the mysteries of God's mercy, grace and His love that are written on every page of the Bible that will change a person’s life forever. I can attest to fact the Bible, God's written Word, changes lives. It changed my life when I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior; and you know what; if you want such a change in your life, receive Jesus as your Savior. It’s only a prayer away! As you confess your sin and believe that He’ll forgive you, He will and then, by His Spirit, He will come to live in you and He will enable you to be kind, generous, and loving person. Then no matter how much time you have left in this world, start reading the Bible and resolve to read it regularly if it hasn't been your practice previously. Ask God to give you a desire for His Word and a hunger to taste His grace and goodness every day. My friend, it’s the only Book that will bless you while you're still in this world, and it will show you that through faith in Jesus Christ you can be sure of eternal blessedness in the world to come.

Romans 3:23, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”. Until we see our sin, we will not see our need for a Savior.

--------------------
2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth"

Posts: 28 | From: Southwestern New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement