Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » Awaiting the Great Joyful Event!!

Author Topic: Awaiting the Great Joyful Event!!
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After Jesus' circumcision and purification ceremony, Mary and Joseph took him to the temple in Jerusalem to present him to Lord. The Holy Spirit had revealed to an aged man Simeon that he would not die until he has seen Jesus.

Luke 2:25 -32 Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying: "Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace.
For my eyes have seen your salvation,which you have prepared in the sight of all people
a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel."

The child's father and mother marveled at what was said about him. Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: "This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against,so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

"The birth of Christ brought God to man; the cross of Christ brings man to God."

-

HisGrace
unregistered

I think the pagans are getting too much attention and glory for taking Christ out of Christmas.
Let's steal it back from them and shout "To God Be the Glory." [clap2] [clap2]

Some Children See Him
By Alfred Burt

Some children see Him lily white
the infant Jesus born this night
Some children see Him lily white
with tresses soft and fair

Some children see Him bronzed and brown
the Lord of heav'n to earth come down
Some children see Him bronzed and brown
with dark and heavy hair (with dark and heavy hair!)

Some children see Him almond-eyed
This Saviour whom we kneel beside
Some children see Him almond-eyed
With skin of yellow hue!

Some children see Him dark as they
Sweet Mary's Son to whom we pray
Some children see Him dark as they
And, ah! they love Him so!

The children in each different place
Will see the Baby Jesus' face
Like theirs but bright with heav'nly grace
And filled with holy light!

O lay aside each earthly thing
and with thy heart as offering
Come worship now the infant King
'tis love that's born tonight!

'tis love that's born tonight!

HisGrace
unregistered

This poem is on a Christmas card I received to-day.

If you look for Me at Christmas

You won't need a special star-
I'm no longer just in Bethlehem.
I'm right there where you are.
You may not be aware of Me amid the celebrations -
You have to look beyond the stores and all of the decorations.
But if you take a moment from your list of things to do
And listen to your heart, you'll find
I'm waiting there for you.
You're the one I want to be with, you're the season that I came,
And you'll find Me in the stillness
as I'm whisper your name.

Love
Jesus

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed - Christmas is all about giving,!!

There is a joke going around which shows three little boys sitting outside of the principal's office and the first one says -
"I said the 'sh' word "
The Second one says " I said the '---' word"
The Third little boys says "I said Christmas." [Frown]

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas does bring out the best in people. When we worked in the Christian ministry in Texas, December was our best month for donations. We often had goodies to give out for many months just from December. Oh sure there was the occasional gift that you knew someone got as a gift and did not like, cavior was donated once. But the majoirty of the gifts were people who thought of others because the Christmas Spirit motivated them to think of others. Schools in the area often had food drives with their children donating. This taught the children to think of others and blessed the needy as well.
The ministry where hubby and worked as volunteers for 5 years had regular clients we fed and clothe. The parent were invited to come and get presents to put under their trees so the kids would have santa come to their house just like other children. Each family was given the food to make an tradional Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. We did our best to make each child feel as special as the other children they lived close to.
Our clients were treated as clients with respect. When homeless came in we treated them with dinity and shared God's love with them.
Just as we the angel tree, Christmas is a great time to reach out to those in need. For those who say well it should not be just as Christmas, I agree. That is why we worked there 12 months a year for 5 years. But the truth is Christmas can be very hard for the poor and those who's family members are in prison. It is great to see people reach out to others.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
Angel Tree Plants Positive Seeds in LIves of Inmates' Children
By Allie Martin
December 12, 2005
(AgapePress) - More than half a million children of inmates in America's prisons will receive Christmas gifts, thanks to an international ministry.
For more than 20 years, Prison Fellowship has organized the "Angel Tree" program, which gives prisoners the chance to sign their children up to received Christmas gifts given by Angel Tree volunteers. Those volunteers then contact the children's care-givers to find out their wishes and needs. Literally thousands of churches across the nation have enrolled to participate in the effort to recognize the needs of children whose parents are incarcerated.

Terrific - [clap2] !!!

Again - Matthew 25:40 And the King will tell them, `I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angel Tree Plants Positive Seeds in LIves of Inmates' Children

By Allie Martin
December 12, 2005

(AgapePress) - More than half a million children of inmates in America's prisons will receive Christmas gifts, thanks to an international ministry.

For more than 20 years, Prison Fellowship has organized the "Angel Tree" program, which gives prisoners the chance to sign their children up to received Christmas gifts given by Angel Tree volunteers. Those volunteers then contact the children's care-givers to find out their wishes and needs. Literally thousands of churches across the nation have enrolled to participate in the effort to recognize the needs of children whose parents are incarcerated.

Mark Earley, president of Prison Fellowship Ministries, which oversees Angel Tree, says the program has a huge impact. He says that this year, more than 500,000 prisoners' children will be served through about 15,000 local churches.

"The idea is that each child will get from a lay member a gift in the name of their parent --and we'll share the gospel of Jesus Christ with them," Earley adds. "We have found not only is that a tremendous ministry in the lives of those children, but it's one of the greatest ways we can demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ and the gospel of Christ to their mother or father who is prison."

According to Earley, the initiative taken to reach out to prisoners and their families can help break a vicious cycle. He explains that over the last three decades the number of people in American prisons has increase ten-fold, to 2.3 million. He says that increase introduces another increase.

"It has brought with it two-million prisoners' children who are in the U.S.," he explains, "and we know from statistics that these kids are five to six times more likely to end up in prison than their peers. In fact, it is the greatest predictor of whether a child ends up in prison."

The positive impact is obvious, he says. "This program is not only effective in bringing prisoners and their kids to Christ, but quite frankly it's very effective at changing our neighborhoods across the United States."

Since its inception, Angel Tree has provided more than seven-million children of prisoners with gifts nationwide.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:

Keeping Christ in Christmas means daily revealing the character, love and spirit of Christ that dwells in you, by allowing these traits to shine through your actions.

Maybe your gift to God will be to forgive someone that you've needed to forgive for a long time. You may find it's a gift you give back to yourself. Corrie Ten Boom, a Christian Jewess who survived the Nazi Holocaust, said, "Forgiveness is to set a prisoner free, and to realize the prisoner was you."

Hmmm. Seems like good advice, eh?
Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 25:40
And the King will tell them, `I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Ways to Keep Christ in Christmas
Introduction:
The number one way to keep Jesus Christ in your Christmas celebrations is to have Him present in your daily life. " If you've already accepted Jesus as your Savior and made Him the center of your life, keeping Christ in Christmas is more about the way you live your life than the things you say -- such as "Merry Christmas" versus "Happy Holidays."
Keeping Christ in Christmas means daily revealing the character, love and spirit of Christ that dwells in you, by allowing these traits to shine through your actions. Here are simple ways to keep Christ the central focus of your life this Christmas season.
1) Give God one very special gift just from you to Him:
Let this gift be something personal, that no one else need know about, and let it be a sacrifice. David said in 2 Samuel 24 that he would not offer a sacrifice to God that cost him nothing.
Maybe your gift to God will be to forgive someone that you've needed to forgive for a long time. You may find it's a gift you give back to yourself. Corrie Ten Boom, a Christian Jewess who survived the Nazi Holocaust, said, "Forgiveness is to set a prisoner free, and to realize the prisoner was you."
Perhaps your gift will be to commit to spending time with God daily. Or maybe there is something God has asked you to give up, like last New Year's resolution. Make this your most important gift of the season.
2) Set aside a special time to read the Christmas story in Luke 1:5-56; 2:1-20:
Consider reading this account with your family and discussing it together.
• More Christmas Bible Verses
3) Set up a Nativity scene in your home:
If you don't have a Nativity, here are ideas to help you make your own Nativity scene:
• Nativity Related Crafts
• How to Make a Nativity Scene
4) Plan a project of good will this Christmas:
Last year we decided to "adopt" a single mom. I knew my friend was barely making ends meet and didn't have the money to buy gifts for her small child. Together with my husband's family we bought Christmas gifts for both of them and replaced her washing machine when it broke down the week of Christmas. Perhaps you have an elderly neighbor in need of home repairs or yard work. Find someone with a genuine need, involve your whole family and find out how happy you can make someone this Christmas.
5) Take a group Christmas caroling in a nursing home or a children's hospital:
One year the staff at the office where I worked decided to incorporate Christmas caroling at a nearby nursing home into our yearly staff Christmas party plans. We all met first at the nursing home and toured the facility while singing Christmas carols. Afterwards, we headed back to our party with our hearts full of tenderness. It was the best staff Christmas party we'd ever had.
6) Give a surprise gift of service to each member of your family:
Jesus taught us to serve by washing the disciples feet. He also taught us that it is "more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35 (NIV) The idea of giving an unexpected gift of service to members of your family is to demonstrate Christ-like love and service. You might consider giving a back rub to your spouse, running an errand for your brother, or cleaning out a closet for your mother. Make it personal and meaningful and watch the blessings multiply.
7) Set aside a time of family devotions on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning:
Before opening the gifts, take a few minutes to gather together as a family in prayer and devotions. Read a few Bible verses and discuss as a family the true meaning of Christmas.
• Christmas Bible Verses
• Christmas Prayers and Poems
8) Attend a Christmas church service together with your family:
If you are alone this Christmas or don't have family living near you, invite a friend or a neighbor to join you.
9) Send Christmas cards that convey a spiritual message:
This is an easy way to share your faith at Christmastime. If you've already bought the reindeer cards -- no problem! Just write a Bible verse and include a personal message with each card.
• Select Christmas Bible Verses
10) Write a Christmas letter to a missionary:
This idea is dear to my heart because I spent four years on the mission field. Receiving a letter always felt like opening a priceless gift on Christmas morning. Many missionaries are unable to travel home for the holidays, so it can be a very lonely time for them. Write a special Christmas letter to a missionary of your choice, thanking them for giving their life in service to the Lord. Trust me -- it will mean more than you can imagine! From Mary Fairchild,Your Guide to Christianity - General.

--------------------

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CHRISTMAS PRAYER
by Robert Louis Stevenson

Loving Father, help us remember the birth of Jesus,
that we may share in the song of the angels, the gladness
of the shepherds, and worship of the wise men.
Close the door of hate and open the door of love all over the world.
Let kindness come with every gift and good desires with every greeting.

Deliver us from evil by the blessing which Christ brings,
and teach us to be merry with clear hearts.

May the Christmas morning make us happy to be thy children,
and Christmas evening bring us to our beds with grateful
thoughts, forgiving and forgiven, for Jesus' sake. Amen

Silver Bells

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Thank you for sharing, HisGrace
betty
http://home.att.net/~scorh3/TexasStyle.html

--------------------

HisGrace
unregistered

Luke 2:8-24
That night some shepherds were in the fields outside the village, guarding their flocks of sheep. Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared among them, and the radiance of the Lord's glory surrounded them. They were terribly frightened, 10but the angel reassured them. "Don't be afraid!" he said. "I bring you good news of great joy for everyone!

The Savior--yes, the Messiah, the Lord--has been born tonight in Bethlehem, the city of David! And this is how you will recognize him: You will find a baby lying in a manger, wrapped snugly in strips of cloth!"Suddenly, the angel was joined by a vast host of others--the armies of heaven--praising God:

"Glory to God in the highest heaven, and peace on earth to all whom God favors."
When the angels had returned to heaven, the shepherds said to each other, "Come on, let's go to Bethlehem! Let's see this wonderful thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about."

They ran to the village and found Mary and Joseph. And there was the baby, lying in the manger. Then the shepherds told everyone what had happened and what the angel had said to them about this child.

All who heard the shepherds' story were astonished, but Mary quietly treasured these things in her heart and thought about them often.

The shepherds went back to their fields and flocks, glorifying and praising God for what the angels had told them, and because they had seen the child, just as the angel had said.

-

HisGrace
unregistered

For those of us who really appreciate the true meaning of Christmas, I would like this thread to consist only of great encouraging messages, as we reflect on what it would be like to be 'Awaiting the Great Joyful Event', the arrival of the King of kings and Lord of lords. [youpi]

~~~~  - ~~~~

Go Tell it on the mountain,
Over the hills and everywhere
Go, tell it on the mountain,
That Jesus Christ is born!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement