Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » Paralyzed By The Fear Of Man

Author Topic: Paralyzed By The Fear Of Man
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally understand TG and your welcome. I grew up the same way. God is teaching me that what matters most is what HE thinks of me, not what others think of me. He says He takes Joy in me. I am wonderfully made. Made in HIS own image. I am His precious daughter. HE calls us precious. He says a lot in His word about how much He loves us. It takes years to undo the recording in our head that tells us we are nothing, no one, unworthy..... But if we believe what His Word tells us we are, those recordings will change to new recordings of God's praise over us.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Carmela. I grew up very shy and not having any confdence in myself. I had no self worth, which can lead to suitations when others are cruel to you because you allow them to be.
But, God is helping to realize that I am worth something to Him. I am not saying I am something special. But, He is helping me to believe that I am important to Him and that is good for me to know.
God bless you,
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have to force myself to do things but it's a little easier then it was that very first time.

They say it gets easier in time. I'm starting to wonder if that's true. [Big Grin]

What I was able to overcome was the fear of not being able to do it. I realized I can do anything if I walk in Christ's strength because when it comes to standing before people, I have no strength of my own. [Roll Eyes]

TG we can pray for each other though. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. [clap2]

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carmela

I am glad to hear that you were able to get over your fear. I was not. When I played a trumpet duet with the Preacher's daughter, I was so upset, that I donated my trumpet.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really struggled with a fear of man for most of life. Whether it's to preach, hand out a track or whatever, doesn't matter. When fear grips a man, it paralyzes as David said. We should be able to do all things through Christ.

What got me over my fear of man was the most difficult thing God had ever told me to do. My church use to put on a big talent show and a friend of mine wrote music, played piano and sang. Well, God told me to go up there and sing so I talked to my friend and we did something together. First, let me tell you that singing is definitely not one of my giftings. [Big Grin] However, God clearly told me that I was to do this so I did. I got up on stage that night and I was shaking so bad that when the guy handed me the mic he told me it's ok I will be fine. I was thinking...that's easy for you to say. [Wink] Anyway, I did it and I haven't been paralyzed by fear. It still tries to creek up on me sometimes like when I have to preach in front of my entire class, and this year I will have to preach in church before classes. [Eek!] But now I know that if I can go up there and sing, I can do anything. I often have to force myself to do it and I still shake and talk super fast and my voice quivers, but I do it.

I only shared this because sometimes we need to get out of our comfort zone and do something radical when God tells us. Then, we will really understand what it means to actually get your strength from Christ alone.

When I have to preach, I say I can do all things through Christ. I always ask Him to talk through me and sometimes when I get up to speak the Holy Spirit takes over for me. It's amazing

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Lars7
Advanced Member
Member # 4911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lars7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Phil. 4:13: It is not a true use of this verse to express that we can do anything. This is not a "self-motivational" verse. Paul was saying that he could do anything THROUGH CHRIST. That is radically different than the way many people use this verse.

Our total ability in the Christian life is found in Christ . It is not our ability that makes us strong but our availability to Christ that enables us. Paul said, "for when I am weak, then am I strong" (2 Cor. 12:10). He was saying that when he recognized his inability and therefore relied on the Lord, then the Lord's strength flowed through him.

We can do all things THROUGH CHRIST.

Posts: 49 | From: Ma | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13

Although God assured the prophet Jeremiah that He formed him, knew him, sanctified and ordained him, he still was paralyzed by the fear of man (Jeremiah 1:5,6). When the fear of man seeks to paralyze us, we must stop saying “I cannot speak,” and instead say, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” This verse obliterates every excuse we try to offer for not preaching the gospel to every creature. It counters the fear of man, the fear of rejection, the fear of public speaking, and the fear of offering a stranger a gospel tract. Hudson Taylor said, “All God’s giants have been weak men, who did great things for God because they believed that God would be with them.”

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement