Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » Trust

Author Topic: Trust
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have to really embrace the presence and comfort of God through His Word.

His Presence empowers us with comfort, peace, courage and confidence.  -

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Once again, lately I have had a battle with trusting that the enemy is really defeated in a certain area of my life.

Some months ago the Lord gave me the scripture Psalm 18:42
I ground them as fine as dust carried by the wind. I swept them into the gutter like dirt.

When we receive such scriptures, sometimes we expect God to immediately snap his fingers and poof all of our problems are solved. However, it doesn't work that way - we have to wait for his timing. If it doesn't happen right away, we may think our mission has failed.

Because this scripture wasn't being fulfilled for quite sometime, my trust was gradually being chipped away. I was still having problems, but the word dust really jumped out at me. I was reading another Psalm within the past few days and came across the word "dust" in Psalm 119 , confirming that He was trying to get my attention. It is not very often that I test the Lord, but then I said "Ok let me come across this word again and I will believe." I was reading away in the OT for about 5-10 min. and didn't come across the word again. I thought that maybe I was tempting God so was ready to give up, but felt as if should keep reading. and low and behold within a few minutes I came across the word dust again. It spoke to me that the devil has been totally defeated.

On reading a daily devotional, just last night I also came across the words " Satan is trying to rob you of the victory that belongs to you." We have to be so careful to always walk in the centre of God's will, or we could lose out on so so many blessings that are rightfully ours through his endless grace.

Now the next step is to burn the knowledge I have been given into my spirit, so I am working on confirming that I have been freed from this terrible bondage of mistrust

HisGrace
unregistered

Yes, Betty I know that the spirit of trust is not easily come by. What has helped me a lot is an article I read about the necessity of not wrestling with the wrong foe.

When someone attacks us and says wrongful and hurtful things about us, we have to be reminded that we must fight against the right enemy.

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh."
(2 Corinthians 10:3)

If we are deceived into believing that just because a person does us wrong, that person is the one who needs the fight. This is wrong. The Bible says that we don't wrestle with flesh and blood. We may think that the foe is make of flesh and blood, but it would save us a lot of bitterness if we can focus on rebuking the real enemy in our prayers, the devil.

We must show these people love and do our best to guide them in order that they may correct the error of their ways. We should remind ourselves of love and victory scriptures in order that the Lord is given full control to fight our battles for us.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to get close to my Pastor. I have know 6 weeks and I know I am not ready, yet.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Have you ever tried to warn someone about certain dangers, only to be accused of being jealous and vindictive? What would a person do in that case?. If we have tried everything in our power, all we can do is turn them over to the Lord with total trust and say. "Sometimes when I have done my best and failed, Dear Lord, is your power alone free to work." (Paraphrased from Corrie ten Boom's Hiding Place) We have pushed the rock long enough.

From "The Rock"
"But your calling was to be obedient, to push and to exercise your faith and trust in my wisdom. This you have done, my friend,
I WILL NOW MOVE THE ROCK"

Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Study   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Prayer] Pastors have the hardest job, we should pray for our Pastor and their (Wife) on a daily basis. They are human to. They carry a lot of responsibility on their shoulders, first and foremost they are responsibly for your souls, they will have to make an account to God for each person placed under their leadership. They receive phone calls all hours of the night, visiting hospitals and praying for the sick, counseling, teaching, administrations duties along with dealing with different personalities of the other organization within the body of the church, studying God words to bring a message to the body of Christ and all of this with their own personal life away from the church. So please pray for your Pastor that they will edify the body of Christ and that they are the sons that God is calling for in these last and evil days.

If you feel you are not comfortable with the pastor you should ask the Lord to guide and lead you in this area.

This is dangerous grounds.

With love your sister in Christ.

--------------------
http://www.biblenotebooks.com
The book no Christian should be without!

Posts: 364 | From: NJ | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry Mrs. Betty.

I've had hurt from pastors before... including the one I have now. But he and I have worked out our differences. It has taken a couple of years and a whole lot of heartache, but we are friends now.

It's hard to move on from a hurt, especially if they are the ones in the wrong and refuse to apologize. But we have to forgive them and love them anyway, because that is what Jesus wants us to do.

Mrs. Betty, I'm not saying that you need to jump right in and try to be best buds with your new pastor, but don't give him the cold shoulder either. Give him and his wife a chance. You could come up with a really sweet couple that will love you and support you in return.

I know that I was lucky. My pastor has put up with a lot from me, but he has forgiven me and trusted me and accepted me even when I wouldn't love, forgive, trust or even accept myself, let alone him or his wife. We're not close friends, but we are building a friendship. I'm taking little steps towards trusting him everyday. I even let him baptise me Sunday. I just knew he would hold me under!!! I even slipped, but he didn't let go! He knew I was terrified, but I trusted him just that little bit and our friendship has strengthened just that little bit more.

ok... i've rambled enough!!! don't give up on pastors Mrs. Betty... they are people too. Give them a chance, they are trying so hard to do right, but they make mistakes too... it's just more noticable with them, cause everyone is watching them to see if they will make a mistake.

ok... goodnight!!!

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about it. I took no offense. My Pastor we had for 10 years in Houston had been hurt so bad himself that he did not allow himself to get close to anyone so it was easy not to get too close.
The first Church we went to was so big that you rarely got to talk to the Preacher. The new Church we are going to, I am not sure about how close he is willing to get. Me, I got to wait until I know him for awhile.
The last Pastor I got close to, the day I met him, I told him I haven't been close to a Preacher in many years but I am willing to open up to you. Things were fine until he came to my house and screamed at me because his wife got mad at me over my teenager daughter. She wanted to miss choir practice to go to teen revial that the rest of the youth were attending. I told my daughter she could and the preacher's wife got mad and sent her husband to my hosue to straighten me out. He straighten me out to the point that I don't tell any preacher anything personal about me.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Bat Elohim:

As I learn to love, I'm learning to trust. Both of these are hard for me. I believe they are very closely related. Blessings,Joanna.

Wow, I never thought of it that way before. Guess by not trusting we put a wall around us, not letting love in or out. Is that the way we are with God?

I know God will never stop loving us, but more than likely we are hampering the flow of blessings by this wall of mistrust.

(Sorry Betty, I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote this post. I realize that sometimes we have layers that have to be peeled away before we can completely trust. God understands our every problem.)

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I have made it a point not to get too close to my Pastors for the last 12 years. My loss, I know but I am not ready to trust people that much, yet.

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HisGrace,

my first instinct is to not trust anyone. it takes a long time for me to build trust for anyone.

I am only now learning to truely trust God! And that is a major struggle. I've always had to rely on myself. (There's that control issue again!)

My poor pastor has had a horrible struggle with me because I haven't been able to trust him, even though I know he is looking out for me and trying to help me!!! LOL!! He's a big teddy bear, really!

As I learn to love, I'm learning to trust. Both of these are hard for me. I believe they are very closely related.

Blessings,
Joanna.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Enjoyed your posts, folks. I am wondering if anyone, in spite of life's experiences, naturally has an innate trust of God and man, or if it is something that we all have to struggle with.
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes there is so much truth here! Trust. We have to trust GOD. That is where our freedom is. That was the single most important lesson I had to learn in this walk. At every corner the enemy wants to take that trust. Because in reality we all do trust someone or some thing. We all have faith. The scripture says God has given to EVERY MAN a measure. But where is our trust? Whom or what is it in? It must be completely and without reservation or hestiation, totally in HIM.

I think that comes from realizing who he is. HE is I AM. that makes trusting in anyone or anything else impossible. But when we place our trust 199% in HIM, we dont have to worry about trusting anyone or anything else. There is no danger come what may. Because our trust is in HIM.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antitox
Advanced Member
Member # 2804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antitox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A simple definition of faith is "trusting God." Essentially, that is what the Bible describes. Trust is an intregal part of any realtionship. I agree that the desire to be in control is what we fight within ourselves all the time; part of the fleshly nature. Denying oneself means to yield to the Lord rather than to control. I will admit that it's probably the hardest thing to do. We have to do that as our kids get older and we must let them go and not try to control them. I think it's something we have to learn throughout our lives because there's so many areas that we have to yield to the Lord.

--------------------
MJB

Posts: 151 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I agree. I am not a trusting time of person. Even with people I have known for years, I don't reveal much about myself. I have been open with people on this board than I have ever been in the past. I could bring up things from the past that taught me to be that way but, the reality is I am the one that allowed others to turn me that way.

We live in a world were know one trust each other and this feeling spills over into the Church.

With me my past hurts came from Preachers and thier wives but many people have been hurt by people in the Church.

As a whole I think American people or probably more untursting than others. This has not always been the case. When I was a teenager, the world was different and people trusted one another. But as you grow up and get ripped off my people you began to "get wise". We think of it as being smart. And yes, in some ways it is but most of the time we meet each new person, wondering if they are trust worthy instead of giving them the benefit of doubt. Instead of taking them at face vaule and we want them to prove themselves to us.
Maybe as Christans we should pray for a trusting heart.

Very good post, hon, you have given as food for thought. God bless you.
betty

--------------------

HisGrace
unregistered

To me the stongest spiritual weapon to grasp is trust. With mistrust running rampant throughout the world, oftentimes justifiably so, it is difficult to completey trust people. With the access of internet, we may trust a certain preacher, but when looking at all of the garbage printed under the hundreds of links available, this trust can be totally shattered. There is also the question, "Who are the real false prophets.?"

Many have an equally difficult trusting God. When the storms come we have a hard time leaning completely on him. Even if he gives a scripture to stand on, many times inside and outside forces easily bind us with doubts and fears. Once we get sidetracked, many spiritual trainwrecks along the way can totally run us off into the ditch.

The greatest complicate I could receive would be "I trust you." However, we may be the most trusting person in the world, but if others have a spirit of mistrust, that trust becomes totally useless. We have to pray that they see us through God's eyes.

We have to be constantly seeking God's face in order to trust and be trusted. The only way to gain ground in this area is to through prayer and total submission through the Word.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement