Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » Our Primary Task

Author Topic: Our Primary Task
SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 14 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty,

I'm glad to hear that things are looking up.

I also read the posts by RIPP on another thread. I think I'll check to see if there are any such churches in my area.

God bless.

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

Posts: 345 | From: Rochester NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i forgot but huby has had two light strokes himself. that is why the Bible Study has to be easy. The Preacher we talked to today says he makes his simple so we shall see tomorrow night.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I so agree with you on the neighbor and the Church. I think that the neighbor may be mentally challenged in away that she can't understand what she does it wrong.
As far as the Church, I agree with you on that too. But, hubby is a young Christian a baby is one he says so we need a Church that will help him to grow.
thanks so much for your prayers.
hugs,
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 10 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty,

We all try to serve the Lord to our best abilities, some one way, some another. I think that the way we live our lives is the best witness of all to the rest of the world. Not everyone has the gift of gab. My mother was always able to talk to anyone and had no trouble walking up and talking to perfect strangers. My dad is just the opposite: he never initiates conversations with people, and even after they've begun talking, it's hard to keep him going. I take after him more than my mother. Don't forget that Paul, by his own admission wasn't much of a speaker. You do a great deal of witnessing on this message board, and from what I've read, are well received by just about everyone.

As for your neighbor, I would wait to see whether she brings up her bad language when you talk to her. If you confront her with it, unless you two are very close, you might just embarrass her and cause her to be defensive. I absolutely don't excuse using the Lord's name in vain, but we all slip up from time to time. If you're worried about whether she is a believer because of this, I think I'd want to base that on more than just one incident. She needs your prayer.

I hope you and your husband find a good home church soon. I know how discouraging that can be. Sometimes though, I think the Lord sends us someplace not so much for what it gives to us, but what we have to offer. A loving Christian can do a lot to liven up a dying church.

God bless you and "hubby".

[clap2]

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

Posts: 345 | From: Rochester NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I am not good talking to people face to face. I know it is hard for you all to believe but I am quite shy. One of the few things that hubby and I have in commone is that we can't express ourselves well verbally . When we first got married, for years when we had an issue with one another we would write a note to each other. I do most of my wittnessing online. Although I did get up the courage to ask my neighbor if she had accepted Jesus as her Savior. She said yes. But now, I find myself in a suitation. I heard her yelling (we live in ajoining apartments) God's name in vain. I don't want to tell her I could hear her. But I am praying that God will open the door for me to talk to her about that. I have to be very gentle because she has had a major stroke and has trouble understanding things and talking sometimes.
pray for her. Her name is Barbara.
hugs,
betty

--------------------

SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 14 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,

Great post. I think we need to be reminded of this every day. It's good to be reminded that being "kind" to people isn't enough if our light isn't shining or if our continuous acts of "kindness" lead to our light going out. "Kindness" won't keep people from being lost, but light will.

[thumbsup2]

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Primary Task

A lighthouse keeper gained a reputation of being a very kind man. He would give free fuel to ships that miscalculated the amount of fuel needed to reach their destination port. One night during a storm, lightning struck his lighthouse and put out the light. He immediately turned on his generator, but it soon ran out of fuel—and he had given his reserves to passing ships. During the dark night, a ship struck the rocks and many lives were lost.

At the lighthouse keeper’s trial, the judge knew of his reputation as a kind man and wept as he passed sentence. He charged the lighthouse keeper with neglecting his primary responsibility: to keep the light shining. The church can so often get caught up in legitimate acts of kindness —standing for political righteousness, feeding the hungry, etc.—but our primary task is to warn sinners of danger. We are to keep the light of the gospel shining so that sinners can avoid the jagged-edged rocks of wrath and escape being eternally damned.

Imagine seeing a group of firefighters polishing their engine outside a burning building with people trapped at a top floor window. Obviously, there is nothing wrong with cleaning a fire engine—but not while people are trapped in a burning building! Instead of ignoring their cries, the firefighters should have an overwhelming sense of urgency to rescue them. That’s the spirit that should be behind the task of evangelism. Yet according to Bill Bright of Campus Crusade for Christ, “Only two percent of believers in America regularly share their faith in Christ with others.” That means 98 percent of the professing Body of Christ is “lukewarm” when it comes to obeying the Great Commission.

http://www.biblicalevangelism.com

[type]

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement