Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » Sin Abounding, Grace Abounding "Much More"

Author Topic: Sin Abounding, Grace Abounding "Much More"
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
November 21

Sin Abounding, Grace Abounding "Much More"
Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

(Rom_5:20-21)

Sin can overflow lives until there seems to be no hope. Yet, the scriptures boldly declare that the grace of God is greater than the most terrible, aggravated sin of man. Yes, even when sin is abounding, grace can eventually abound "much more."

The Lord uses His law to teach us of sin and of our need for His grace. "Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound." The law provokes the rebellious hearts of man, revealing the desires of sin within them. "For when we were in the flesh, the passions of sins which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death . . . I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, 'You shall not covet' " (Rom_7:5, Rom_7:7).

Also, the law of God convinces us of the awful nature of sin: "that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful" (Rom_7:13). Part of the awful impact of sin is the death it produces in lives: "sin reigned in death." Sin brings spiritual death. "The wages of sin is death" (Rom_6:23). Where sin is left unattended it rules lives by bringing more and more evidences of this spiritual deadness: such as; hatred, selfishness, cruelty, emptiness, despair, and the like. It is as though great waves of sin roll over lives, inundating them in bondage and hopelessness. Nevertheless, there is always hope in the grace of God. "But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more." No matter how high the waves of sin have flooded in, the waves of God's grace can roll in higher, if we humbly seek after Him.

The grace of God is not only able to forgive sin and cleanse it away, it can also set up a new rule of godliness in forgiven lives. "As sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness." Sin once ruled our lives, bringing spiritual deadness, which increased with each day. Now, if grace is allowed to work in our lives, practical righteousness grows day by day:

such as; love, selflessness, kindness, fullness, hope, and the like. All of this is the qualitative aspect of the everlasting life that comes by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ: "even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Dear Lord, what a great encouragement these words bring to my heart. The waves of past sin in my life, and the lives of others I minister to, can be dealt with by greater waves of Your life-giving grace. Lord, please flood my life with tidal waves of grace, producing righteousness in my life. Also, help me to point others in this direction of abundant hope, through Jesus Christ, Amen.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement