Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Israel the Promised Land   » How God Will Solve the Israeli–Palestinian Conflict

Author Topic: How God Will Solve the Israeli–Palestinian Conflict
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Israeli–Palestinian Conflict
by Norbert Lieth

The mightiest men in the world are currently concerning themselves with the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. Yet in spite of the peace conferences and agreements, they will never find a lasting solution. God, however, will solve this seemingly unsolvable problem.

The terror attacks (which have reached worldwide proportion in the meantime), the suicide attacks and many other events began almost 40 years ago.

The conflict between the Arab nations and the Jews, a conflict which already had existed for a long time, became particularly intense after May 14th, l948, when Ben Gurion proclaimed the state of Israel. However, since the 1964 founding of the PLO as a terrorist organization to liberate all of Palestine from the Jews, the battle has become increasingly violent. At least six subsidiary groups, such as Hamas, Hezbollah, Fatah, PFLP (the People's Front for the Liberation of Palestine), belong to the PLO. The battle over Jerusalem and Israel will ultimately lead to a worldwide conflict that will culminate in a world war, as we see from the book of Revelation and many other places in the Bible.

After the devastating defeat of the Arab states in the 1967 (the Six-Day War), the Palestinian organizations announced that they would take it upon themselves to liberate their homeland. It seems to be forgotten (or perhaps people do not want to remember) that the radical Palestinian Liberation Organization and the PFLP, was responsible for the worst terrorist attack in the history of civil aviation. The PFLP subjected Israel, Jordan and West Europe to a wave of attacks:

• September 1970 went down in history as "Black September." Five airplanes were simultaneously hijacked.

• On September 6th, a Boeing 707 of the Israeli El Al airline from the Dutch airport, Schiphol, was hijacked.

• At the same time, PFLP terrorists took control of a TWA plane on its way from Frankfurt to New York via Tel Aviv. The plane had 158 passengers on board.

• A DC-8 belonging to Swissair, carrying 141 passengers and 12 crew members from Zurich, was forced to fly to the Middle East.

• A brand new jumbo jet belonging to Pan Am, en route from Brussels to New York via Amster-dam, also was hijacked by a PFLP commando.

• On September 9th, terrorists of the Palestinian Liberation Organization hijacked a plane of the British airline BOAC, carrying 114 passengers, and directed the plane to Beirut.

Only the hijacking of the El Al plane was unsuccessful, as the hijackers were overcome by the courageous intervention of the crew and a passenger, as well as a risky flying maneuver by the pilot. Three of the other hijacked airplanes were blown up in the Jordanian desert by the terrorists. The Pan Am jumbo jet was too large to land in Jordan and was blown up in Cairo. But the world seems to have forgotten this and much more of the bloody terror that has been practiced. Instead, Yasser Arafat was awarded the Nobel peace prize a few years ago. Yet this top terrorist and his party of even more radical adherents are only interested in eradicating Israel from the map. The following facts are taken from a book called Apocalypse Over Jerusalem by Fritz May:

• Article 21 of the PLO charter says: "The destruction of Israel is a necessity." Arafat repeatedly promised to declare the PLO charter invalid, but he wrote to his PLO agency in Sudan that he will not change one single paragraph in it. Only when Israel recognizes Palestinian sovereignty over all the occupied territories and Jerusalem, will the clause concerning the destruction of Israel be eradicated.

• On January 28, 1995, Arafat proclaimed in a video broadcasted on Palestinian television: "No state of Israel exists and therefore the (Oslo) agreement with Israel does not have to be complied with."

• The following tirades came from Achmed Yassin, preacher of terror and planter of bombs, and other Hamas leaders: "It is the lot of the Jews to be slaughtered by us. We have taken on this task." "Killing Jews is a commandment which brings us nearer to God." "Israel will exist until it is destroyed by Islam."

• Sheikh Akrima Sabri said, "An international Jerusalem would be worse for us than a Zionistic Jerusalem."

• On CNN television, Arafat stated that more than 800 million Arabs, 1 billion Muslims, would never forgive him if he were to give up "Al Kuds" (i.e., Jerusalem) as the third most holy city of Islam and capital of Palestine. Therefore, he continued to relentlessly demand full sovereignty over Jerusalem and the Temple Mount "without any compromises."

Following decades of a "back and forth" diplomacy, and innumerable peace talks that have not brought about any real or lasting solution to the Middle East conflict, and the Jerusalem conflict in particular, world politicians and rulers are clueless as to how to proceed. Yet despite these facts, the majority of the world media and politicians are pro-Palestinian. As the Israeli daily newspaper, The Jerusalem Post, reported, the French ambassador in London said concerning Israel, "This little land is threatening world peace."

Who is on Israel's side? The Word of God, and therefore, God Himself! Of course, we are not saying that the Jews are perfect, or that everything they do is correct. But one thing we know: The Jews are God's chosen people. We have to respect this scriptural fact. God will hold fast to the Jewish people, for His gifts and calling are without repentance (Romans 11:29).

A little more than three decades after the five-aircraft hijackings by PFLP terrorists, we were confronted with another "Black September," once again, involving terrorism. Once again, aircraft were hijacked. But the result of the suicide commandos who tore into the two towers of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, causing the death of thousands of people, were much more devastating than what happened in 1970. The more recent attack took on far greater dimensions, even becoming worldwide. This bloody terrorism is rooted in the founding of the Palestinian terror organizations. More and more groups have joined the PLO over the decades and all have the same objective: Israel must be exterminated! The Arab world cannot bear the fact that there is a tiny Jewish state in the midst of so-called Arab territory. This is considered a slap in the face, but simultaneously, it is proof of God's existence and that He stands by His promises. This is an unbearable fact for the adherents of the Koran.

The Philistines
In my opinion, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a continuation of the conflicts the Jews had with the Philistines since their existence. When Abraham entered the Promised Land for the first time in Gerar (Gaza), he had great trouble with the Philistines (Genesis 20:1-onward). Many years later, his son Isaac also went to Gerar, where he and his servants experienced hatred, envy and confrontations with the Philistines (Genesis 26:1 onward). This sequence was repeated throughout Israel's history. The Jews entered the Promised Land after years of wandering in the wilderness. They were opposed by Canaanite kings. But the Philistines were conquered by Samson, David, Solomon, and Hezekiah, and later by the Assyrian kings and Alexander the Great. Oddly enough, with the Philistines, it was as with a fire which reignites if it is not completely extinguished. We shall see later on that they went almost the same way as Israel.

The Philistines as such no longer exist, but it is strange to see that they are mentioned in various endtime prophecies (Psalms, Ezekiel, Zephaniah and Zechariah) along with Moab, Bozra, Edom, Assyria, Gog and Magog. These are lands and people which no longer exist today under their old names. One example of this is when Balaam said to Balak, Moabite king "I will advertise thee what this people (Israel) shall do to thy people (Moab) in the latter days" (Numbers 24:14).

So we can say, where the Palestinians, or actually the Palestinian terror organizations are concerned, that they are a continuation of the Philistines of biblical times. The names are also very similar. Ezekiel 25:15-27 says that the Philistines are vengeful, and that they despise Israel with all their hearts "...to destroy it for the old hatred" (verse 15).

Their enmity will only cease when Jesus Christ returns. There-fore, I am not concerned with the Palestinian people as such, but the Palestinian terror organizations which misuse the people and have written Jerusalem's destruction on their flags.

The Conflict
On one hand, God will solve the conflict through judgment before Jesus' return, and on the other, through blessing after Jesus' return.

According to Scripture, we may assume that a remnant of the Palestinians will be integrated into the Jewish people. Zechariah 9:5-8 says: "Ashkelon shall see it, (compare verses 1-5) and fear; Gaza also shall see it, and be very sorrowful, and Ekron; for her expectation shall be ashamed; and the king shall perish from Gaza, and Ahskelon shall not be inhabited. And a bastard shall dwell in Ashdod, and I will cut off the pride of the Philistines. And I will take away his blood out of his mouth, and his abominations from between his teeth; but he that remaineth (of the Philistines), even he, shall be for our God, and he shall be as a governor in Judah, and Ekron as a Jebusite. And I will encamp about mine house because of the army, because of him that passeth by, and because of him that returneth: and no oppressor shall pass through them any more: for now have I seen with mine eyes."

These words have been partially fulfilled over Tyre (Zechariah 9:13). All the surrounding lands were in a state of shock when Alexander the Great destroyed Tyre, on which the Philistines so depended (Ezekiel 26:15-18). But Zechariah's prophecy extends far beyond this in its main, endtime fulfillment. The following facts make it clear that this concerns the endtimes:

• These events are connected with Jesus' return for Israel, the ultimate restoration of His people, and the setting up of His millennium of peace. Zechariah 9:14 and 16 say, "And the Lord shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning: and the Lord God shall blow the trumpet, and shall go with whirlwinds of the south...And the Lord their God shall save them in that day as the flock of his people: for they shall be as the stones of a crown, lifted up as an ensign upon his land."

• Moreover, these events are connected with the future blessing on the Messianic kingdom of peace, which will be so tremendous that even a remnant of the Philistines and others will be integrated into Israel (Zechariah 9:5-7). Ultimately God will reach His goal with the nations through judgment. Then they will no longer be enemies of the Jewish people, but become like brothers.

• These events are connected by the fact that the nations will at last bury their weapons of war and Israel will never be oppressed again: "And I will encamp about mine house because of the army, because of him that passeth by, and because of him that returneth: and no oppressor shall pass through them any more: for now I have seen with mine eyes" (verse 8). After these words were written, following the Babylonian captivity, many oppressors passed through Israel. For example, the Greeks under Alexander the Great, the Syrians under Antiochus Epiphanes, the Romans, the Muslims, the Crusaders and the Turks. However, when the Messianic kingdom dawns, no more oppressors will pass through Israel. For God Himself will "...encamp about His house" and protect them from all their enemies.

Judgment Upon The Palestinian Organization
This judgment seems to be coming in the form of a major war. I would like to make the following four points in this connection:

1. The king will disappear from Gaza. Zechariah 9:5 says: "Ashkelon shall see it, and fear; Gaza also shall see it, and be very sorrowful, and Ekron; for her expectation shall be ashamed; and the king shall perish from Gaza, and Ashkelon shall not be inhabited."

• In recent times we have seen just how current prophecy can suddenly become:

• Israel broke off all contact with Arafat after a new series of attacks.

• The Israelis stated that Arafat was no longer relevant for them.

• Public safety minister, Ari Landau, no longer excluded banishing Arafat to Tunis.

• The Israeli army divided the Gaza Strip into three parts.

• "Voice of Palestine" radio station was destroyed and the airport at Gaza was rendered useless.

• Arafat was not allowed to visit Bethlehem at Christmas and was stuck in Ramallah.

• King Abdullah II of Jordan announced that he was worried about Israel's actions and warned that Arafat's removal would probably lead to radical Islamic Hamas grabbing power which would lead to a civil war. A war in Israel is theoretically quite possible.

2. The land on the Mediter-ranean will belong to the Jews - not the Palestinians - on the Day of the Lord. Zephaniah 2:5-7 documents this prophecy: "Woe unto the inhabitants of the sea coast, the nation of the Cherethites! ....the land of the Philistines, I will even destroy thee, that there shall be no inhabitant. And the sea coast shall be dwellings and cottages for shepherds, and folds for flocks. And the coast shall be for the remnant of the house of Judah; they shall feed thereupon: in the houses of Ashkelon shall they lie down in the evening: for the Lord their God shall visit them, and turn away their captivity."

Here the question arises: Will there really be a devastating war between Israel and the Arabs, from which Israel - with the Lord's help - will emerge victorious? Will a peace agreement be achieved afterwards? It is interesting to note that many Palestinians live in Judaea. Will these hotly contested Judaean territories fall to the Jews again?

What could this war be like? In Zechariah 12:2, the Lord says, "Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem." If Jerusalem is attacked by the Arab nations, then a war against Israel could also come from Judaea. Then there would be a war from without, and from within, a civil war between Palestinian Israelis against Jewish Israelis. Zechariah 14:14 says, "And Judah also shall fight at Jerusalem..." An estimated 40% of the Palestinians are said to side with the Hamas and their battle against Israel. This was maintained by an Israeli officer who is a Messianic believer and who pastors a church in Israel. He expressed his concern over the many hate-filled Arabs living in Judaea, in contrast to Jerusalem, where the majority of inhabitants are Jews.

3. The eternal enmity and terror will be punished. "Thus saith the Lord God; Because the Philistines have dealt by revenge, and have taken vengeance with a despiteful heart, to destroy it for the old hatred; Therefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will stretch out mine hand upon the Philistines, and I will cut off the Cherethims, and destroy the remnant of the sea coast" (Ezekiel 25:15-16).

Islamic fundamentalists and Palestinian terror organizations are full of vengeance, hatred and perpetual enmity toward Israel, "...with a despiteful heart, to destroy it for the old hatred." Isn't this apparent since Arafat's founding of the PLO in 1964?

Terrorism against Israel has been uninterrupted since the Six-Day War in 1967. How many PLO terrorist attacks have there been against Israel since then? How many brutal murders of civilians? How many suicide attacks in complete disregard for human life? They do not shrink back from sending their own children ahead to their death! Arafat will not stop the bloody acts of violence. He commented, "I can accept the death of thousands of my people, but Israel cannot accept one!" Moreover, the PLO is responsible for 40 aircraft hijackings, not to mention their attacks on ships.

When the Lord Jesus spoke of His return and the signs preceding it, He said: "And great earthquakes shall be in divers places and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven" (Luke 21:11). The Amplified Bible mentions "sights of terror."

Shouldn't we consider the events of September 11th - when suicide terror from above brought death to thousands of people - in light of Jesus' endtime discourse?

Zechariah 9:7-8 could also point to this terror: "And I will take away his blood out of his mouth, and his abominations from between his teeth...And I will encamp about mine house because of the army." In other words, on the day of the Lord, no more terrorism will be possible amongst the people of Israel.

Actually the "...blood out of his mouth" refers to idolatry, as is clear from other Bible translations. Islamic doctrine says that you can go to heaven as a martyr if you let yourself be blown to pieces as a suicide terrorist. The sacrifice of your own life is the epitome of demonic exposition of the Koran! The Bible says, "...they sacrifice to devils, and not to God" (1st Corinthians 10:20). False promises are the motive for suicide attacks, as is evident from the following report:

70 Virgins As Reward
Hamas is one of the main opponents of peace with Israel. The group denies Israel's existence. Her military arm carries out the regular suicide attacks in Israel. Active members are dedicated to the preaching they hear in mosques and from friends in universities.

"Whoever supports the use of violence and injustice against civilians, wherever he comes from and whatever motives he may have, is against Islamic justice." With this statement Mohammed Tantawi, sheik of the renowned Al-Azhar University of Cairo, and one of the highest religious experts in the Islamic world, stands alone. The number of suicide attackers surely act in contrast to such a statement. Yet they are celebrated as martyrs and freedom fighters by radical Palestinians.

Even the media of so-called conservative Arab nations such as Egypt and Saudi-Arabia never speak of terrorist attacks but of 'martyr operations.' Respect for such inhuman barbaric acts is admired. According to Islamic doctrine, whoever loses his life in the battle against the infidels is honored. Entrance into paradise is guaranteed. It is taught that he will be waited upon by 70 virgins. Every pleasure and eternal bliss is assured. It is often deliberately overlooked that the Koran, upon which the Islamic zealots base their belief, strictly condemns suicide as a particularly grave sin.

Yet the radicals hardly have difficulty in interpretation. In their minds they are not killing themselves, but are being killed in the 'holy war' against an occupying power.

Critical voices from Morocco to the Gulf region are deliberately ignored. Only 'Israel's state terrorism' is held responsible for the sudden deterioration of the situation in the Middle East. The Egyptian media said, "The explosions in Israel were legitimate acts of self-defense."

Hamas terrorist, Jamal Salim, who was killed by Israelis, persuaded hundreds of young Palestinians to blow themselves up in the name of Allah to liberate Palestine from the Jews. During the final months of his life he said, "We must sow death in every corner in Israel."

4. Syria's helper will be destroyed. Jeremiah 47:4 says, "Because of the day that cometh to spoil all the Philistines, and to cut off from Tyrus and Zidon every helper that remaineth: for the Lord will spoil the Philistines, the remnant of the country of Caphtor." Tyre and Sidon are located in Lebanon. They are completely under Syrian control. Various Palestinian terror organizations have set up their base and training camps there with Syria's support.

The Christian magazine, Ethos, published the following report in November 2001:

"At the end of September 2001, Israeli security forces prevented a bomb attack on the two highest office buildings in Tel Aviv. The Palestinians' plan was discovered just in time. Both belonged to the PFLP. It was discovered that both terrorists had received intense military training in Syria."

It seems as though the Palestinian terror organizations are, for Syria, a welcome help in its battle and hatred for Israel. Here the Bible verse, "...to spoil all the Philistines, and to cut off from Tyrus and Zidon every helper that remaineth," becomes relevant.

The Salvation Of The Palestinian Remnant
After the judgment upon Israel's enemies, the rule of the Messiah will produce unimaginable blessing, which is impossible for human beings to bring about.

Zechariah 9:7 says: "...But he that remaineth (of the Philistines), even he, shall be for our God, and he shall be as a governor in Judah, and Ekron as a Jebusite." Isn't it wonderful that a remnant of the Philistines - or Palestinians - will be "for our God," and realize that the God of Israel is the only true God? They will come to faith in Jesus Christ and be led into the Messianic kingdom via the Cross.

When Jesus returns, He will seat Himself on the throne of David in Jerusalem (Zechariah 2:10), "...many nations shall be joined to the Lord in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the Lord of hosts hath sent me unto thee" (verse 11). Here we see how wonderfully God will solve the Middle East conflict! Psalm 87:4 also refers to this, "I will make mention of Rahab (Egypt) and Babylon (present-day Iraq) to them that know me: behold Philistia (present territory of the Palestinians), and Tyre, with Ethiopia; this man was born there." The remaining people from these lands will be treated as local people; they will have part in the Messianic kingdom. God will reconcile the nations to Himself and His people.

The Cause Of The Conflict And Its Solution
We find the first mention of the Philistines in Genesis 10:13-14, "And Mizraim begat Ludim, and Anamim, And Lehabim, and Naphtuhim, And Pathrusim, and Casluhim, (out of whom came Philistim), and Caphtorim." Mizraim was the patriarch of the Egyptians. In the Hebrew language, Egypt is still called "Mizraim" today. In verses 13-14 the various Egyptian tribes are mentioned. One part of the Philistines, the Casluhims, had settled in Egypt, probably east of the Nile delta. Another part, the Caphtorims, had settled in Crete (Caphtor). They belonged to the sea-faring nations. From Caphtor they came through the desert, to Canaan. They entered into Gaza and possessed five main cities: Gaza, Ashkelon, Ashdod, Ekron and Gath (Joshua 13:2-3). We read of their entrance into Gaza, "And the Avims which dwelt in Hazerim, even unto Azzah, the Caphtorims, which came forth out of Caphtor, destroyed them, and dwelt in their stead" (Deuteronomy 2:23).

A Parallel To Israel
The devil is always trying to imitate the true God by creating a similar, yet false, alternative to the truth:

• He confronts the Bible's prophets with false prophets.

• He counters true Christianity with a false, nominal Christianity.

• He replaces the Bible with a counterfeit (Koran).

• He substitutes the prophecy of the Holy Scriptures with fortune-telling and clairvoyance.

• He replaces the Christ of God with the Antichrist.

• He switches the salvation in Jesus Christ with spiritual alternatives such as Buddhism, Hinduism, New Age, Esotericism, etc..

Thus the history of the Philistines seems to have strange parallels to Israel:

• The Philistines came to Egypt like Israel.

• They departed from Egypt like Israel.

• They came into the land of Canaan like Israel. The presence of the Philistines in Canaan is like a blow of the devil against God's promise to Abraham to give him the whole land "...from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates" (compare Genesis 12:5-7, 13:15 & 17, 15:13-14 & 18 and 17:8).

This battle of the Philistines, over the inheritance promised to Israel, continued throughout history and is now heading for its culmination.

The Great Difference
Both nations departed from their ancestral territories. But between the exodus of Israel to the Promised Land, and the exodus of the Philistines to Canaan, there is a great danger which we must not overlook. This difference is very relevant.

Let's first consider Israel's path: "And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt: But God led the people about, through the way of the wilderness of the Red sea: and the children of Israel went up harnessed out of the land of Egypt" (Exodus 13:17-18).

God did not lead Israel into the Promised Land by the easiest way; in other words, the one the Phil-istines took to get from Canaan. No, He led His people from the Nile delta down through the Red Sea, then through the Sinai desert and finally through the Jordan into the Promised Land.

The Jordan is the "river of death" which flows into the Dead Sea - a picture of the Cross of Christ, His death, His resurrection and the new birth of a person through a conversion to the Lord. Here we find forgiveness, redemption and freedom to enter into the "Promised Land": We are crucified with Christ and are risen to eternal life with God the Father. We can only reach the heavenly goal through Jesus. Titus 3:4-7 says, "But after that the kindness and love of God our Savior toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life."

To cross the Jordan means to go the narrow way through the straight gate, not the wide, comfortable way, avoiding the Jordan (Matthew 7:13-14). The Philistines did not stand under the promise and leadership of God; therefore, they did not go through the Jordan, but travelled along the Mediter-ranean into the Gaza Strip.

Two Ways Of Christianity
Born-again Christians belong to the true Church of Jesus Christ. They have been "through the Jordan." They have been to the Cross and have been converted to faith in the crucified One; they have been baptized and are dead and risen again with Jesus Christ.

On the other hand, nominal Christians have adopted Christian doctrine without going through the Jordan. They think it is enough to have a Christian semblance. They have never been truly converted to Jesus. That is why they have no claim to the "Promised Land" of heaven and ultimately they will be "cast out." In one of His parables, the Lord Jesus warned: "And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 22:11-13).

The Conflict Between True And Nominal Christians
Just as the Philistines (Palestinians) contest Israel's right to the land and cause much trouble for them, nominal Christianity creates grave problems for true Christians. Nominal Christians are not on Israel's side.

The Lord Jesus Christ never leads anyone into His eternal kingdom by leading him around His Cross. His way is always via the Cross. If you are a nominal Christian, you are in a conflict and in great danger. You may be a faithful church-goer, but if you have never really been converted, never repented from your sin and turned to the Lord Jesus, you are a nominal Christian; you are still lost. You will be separated from God forever. Born-again Christians have forgiveness of their sins; therefore, they know that they will be with Jesus in eternal glory one day (1st John 3:1-3).

You can only find entrance into the kingdom of heaven at the Cross of Jesus Christ. Whoever does not approach God via the cross remains an enemy of God. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life; no man cometh to the Father, but by me" (John 14:6).

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement