Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Prayer   » Praise Reports &Testimonies   » A Little Americana from South Dakota

Author Topic: A Little Americana from South Dakota
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jillibean:

Welcome to the board! Glad to have ya.

Ps.. Nobody likes Janklow all the time, but I admire his boldness. He speaks his mind regardless of who likes it and these days any governor that is willing to unashamedly and without fear quote Scripture and pray in the name of Jesus Christ in a public assembly is my kinda governor... And US congressman. HE will get my vote there too.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jillibean
Community Member
Member # 480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jillibean         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I don't exactly feel the same way about our governor.....but that is neither here nor there! We are one in the spirit of Christ and that is all that matters.
From one SD native to another! God bless!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Linda,

Thanks for sharing a little bit of Americana with me. [Kiss]
I am glad you had such a nice time. I hope you are feeling better.

We had a service here in my little town but I didn't go. Its been rainy and I just stayed home and watched some of the services on TV.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to share a praise with you today. I just returned from our town's memorial service for 911. We are a little town of about 5k people. But today this is where our governor decided to spend his 911 memorial day. I really didnt want to go, I have been having a health problem for a couple of days that has really been beating me up. But I went because my daughter is in a high school swing chior and they were performing.

I am so blessed to have gone! God is good. There was a free picnic, the service was held in the park. everyone was dressed in red white and blue and carrying flags. Our state and nation's flag flew at half mast. Those old songs played in the background "God Bless America" and the like. Kids running to and fro. The humble little stage decorated with red white and blue. A true picture of Americana.

Our governor arived in his four wheel drive Chevy suburban, he got out dressed in simple black dress slacks, a white shirt ad tie and a windbreaker. I had to smile as I watched him greet the farmers and ranchers, the rodeo queeen, the old woman just passing buy. His face shone a gennuine smile as he stood chatting, a hug, a peck on the cheeek, a great big "How ya been" I love South Dakota!

We opened with the pledge of aliegence and Governor Janklow stood beside me and imphatic "one nation under God" from his lips brought a smile to my face.

Next, an opening prayer, Father God the pastor spoke.... I won't try to quote the prayer but he ended it with "It is in the Name Jesus Christ that we pray" Amen, ws followed by a great round of applause.

Next, We all sang the Star Spangled Banner, hats off hands on heart. After the kids performed the "Battle Hym of the Republic" " Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord....Glory Glory Hallelujah! In the beauty of the lillies Christ was born across the sea, with a glory in His bosom, He transfigured you and me... Glory Glory Halelujah!"

Then we all sang... "My Country this of Thee", "God Bless America","Your a grand ole flag", "God Bless the USA". Every one singing, flags waving... Americana!

The the governor spoke. I cried, you would have had to have been there. Our governor is not liked by all, he is a man of conviction, and you never soubt where he stands. Even when you dont agree with him, you have to honor and respect his straight forward, no holds barred conviction. The speach was about having the "Right Stuff", he spoke of how angry he felt when his grandaughter asked him Granpa... do you think they will ever fly a plane nto our house?, he spoke of why we have been a great nation and what we have that makes others hate us... God, conviction, freedom. He talked about the American spirit that pulls together in times of crisis, and how God has blessed us. He talked about the people on flight 93 and the words that were heard before the "Let's Roll"... "Ye though I walk through the shadow of death I will fear no evil...."

I felt so blessed, blessed to be and American, Blessed to be a South Dakotan, proud of the boldness of my governor. Thankful to live in a community where speaking the Name of Christ comes before political correctness.

Well, I just wanted to share a little Americana, a little view of life in the great plains.

A day of remembering lost lives, and great heros, and a God that has blessed us!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement