Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Do Christians Sin

Author Topic: Do Christians Sin
Bro. D.
Community Member
Member # 16331

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Bro. D.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the first heresies of the early church was Gnosticism. One of the lies it taught, was that man could reach a level of sinless perfection, in this life. The Bible does not teach this. Jesus asked the Pharisees and Religious Rulers of His day, "Which of you convicts me of sin?" [John 8:46] Also, at His illegal trial, after He had been brutally beaten, Pilate said, "I find no fault in this man." [Luke 23:4] And again, in [John 19:4] he records that Pilate said again, "I find no fault in Him."

We can't truthfully say that, because even after we are saved, we still have a sinful nature to contend with. The greatest of Saints such as Augustus understood this.

John said, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."[1 John 1:8] In [vs. 10] he says, "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar and his word is not in us." But, Thank God!, he says, between those two verses in [1 John 1:9], "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." [Bible]

WE HAVE NO LICENSE TO SIN
----------------------------------------------

Someone might say that this gives us a license to sin. No way! Paul deals with that in [Romans 6:1-4] and other passages. [Bible]

The answer to this apparent dilemma can be found in [Galatians 5:16], where Paul said, "[This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh." [Bible]

Two booklets that I have found to be helpful are: How to have Fellowship With God and Living The Christian Life God's Way. Both are by J. Vernon McGee. They come in a downloadable PDF version. For more info. goto: www.TTB.org

Posts: 16 | From: California | Registered: May 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 John 2:1
King James Version
2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peterlag
Member # 16345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peterlag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not believe the Bible teaches we should not continue to sin. I believe we cannot sin because we are born again and therefore in our new nature which is in Christ. And the spirit of Christ does not sin. Here's more on the new nature... www.carb-fat.com/walking-by-the-spirit.html
Posts: 2 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement