Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Is the Idea Of Removal of Sins In "Purgatory" A Work?

Author Topic: Is the Idea Of Removal of Sins In "Purgatory" A Work?
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robby:
I have a question, I'm wondering if the concept of the dead suffering in a place of fiery torment would be considered a work?

For example, Roman Catholics believe in a place called "Purgatory" where the souls of dead people are sent to suffer for their sins before they go to heaven.

Now, the definition of a work is: To exert one's self for a purpose; to put forth effort for the attainment of an object; to labor, to be engaged in the performance of a task, a duty, or the like.

So the idea of "Purgatory", as I understand it, is that souls are enduring punishment of unquenchable fire and toiling to have their sins removed.

Now I'm not saying I believe in the doctrine of "Purgatory". The thing is though, souls would have found themselves in such an underworld because of their lack of faith in the redeeming blood of Jesus. They'f be trusting in their own works to save them, instead of Jesus' finished work on the cross.

Also, James 2:14-26 points out that faith without works is dead. If the souls are toiling in "Purgatory", then their "dead works" whether on earth or in the depths of Gehenna avail to nothing.

So the concept of working off your sins in "Purgatory" would be in vain. I believe that you cannot get to heaven without abiding in Christ, and believe in your heart that you are covered in the shed blood of Jesus for salvation.

Those are my thoughts on this topic. What do you think, would the concept of the removal of your sins in an abode of death be considered a work?

Its false teaching.
Its not Biblical.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question, I'm wondering if the concept of the dead suffering in a place of fiery torment would be considered a work?

For example, Roman Catholics believe in a place called "Purgatory" where the souls of dead people are sent to suffer for their sins before they go to heaven.

Now, the definition of a work is: To exert one's self for a purpose; to put forth effort for the attainment of an object; to labor, to be engaged in the performance of a task, a duty, or the like.

So the idea of "Purgatory", as I understand it, is that souls are enduring punishment of unquenchable fire and toiling to have their sins removed.

Now I'm not saying I believe in the doctrine of "Purgatory". The thing is though, souls would have found themselves in such an underworld because of their lack of faith in the redeeming blood of Jesus. They'f be trusting in their own works to save them, instead of Jesus' finished work on the cross.

Also, James 2:14-26 points out that faith without works is dead. If the souls are toiling in "Purgatory", then their "dead works" whether on earth or in the depths of Gehenna avail to nothing.

So the concept of working off your sins in "Purgatory" would be in vain. I believe that you cannot get to heaven without abiding in Christ, and believe in your heart that you are covered in the shed blood of Jesus for salvation.

Those are my thoughts on this topic. What do you think, would the concept of the removal of your sins in an abode of death be considered a work?

Posts: 364 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement