Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Joshua 24:15

Author Topic: Joshua 24:15
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where law ends tyranny begins.

o~bi-dens edicts are tyrannical!

Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Verse Thoughts

The most important life-choice anyone will ever make is their response to this fundamental question, "choose today, Who you are going to serve." God or Satan, the spirit or the flesh, light or darkness, life or death, faith or fear, the truth or the lie... for its answer has both temporal considerations and eternal consequences.

Belief in the redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ on Calvary's tree dictates life or death for the sinner. But for the man saved by grace, this foundational question deserves equally rigorous examination. This choice challenges the believer to examine himself to see if he is in the faith and trusting God - to see if he is walking in spirit and in truth and if Christ is all in all.

"Choose you this day whom you will serve," was a question that the aging Joshua was constrained to ask the Israelites in his farewell speech. He had just reminded the assembled company of the history of the nation, from the time God took Abraham from the region beyond the Euphrates River, led him throughout the land of Canaan, and multiplied his descendants, to their conquest in the promised land, when the Lord gave Israel a land for which they did not labour, cities which they did not build, and provision from vineyards and olive groves they did not plant.

Although Israel had not fallen into the sort of apostasy that occurred later in her history, they fluctuated between trusting the Lord and trusting in their own strength. There were times when they conquered the promised land through following the Word of the Lord, and other times when they disobeyed His instructions and failed to defeat their enemies.

There were times when they served the Lord with gladness of heart and much rejoicing and other occasions when they followed after the lifeless gods of the pagan nations, and Joshua challenged the assembled nation to make a choice, "If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD," he declared boldly, "choose for yourselves today whom you will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Joshua made it clear that there can be no compromise in our religion or spiritual affiliation. The Lord will not share His glory with another and He had already made this clear to His people in the very first command He gave to them, "I am the Lord your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the place of slavery. You shall have no other gods before Me."

Joshua was not really offering the Israelites a choice between serving God and following the lifeless gods of the Amorites, in whose land they were living. Having carefully reiterated the entire history of the nation in their ears, and having reminded them how God had brought them out of Egyptian bondage, fought for them in many battles, on both sides of the Jordan and provided all they needed to sustain life and godliness, Joshua simply stated the obvious choice, they should all make by setting an example "...but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

The commitment Joshua made before the company, was designed to encourage everyone to make the right choice - to consciously reject the false gods of the Amorites and commit to obeying and trusting the true and living God of Israel. The people were obviously impacted by Joshua's impassioned plea, because they replied as one man, "We will certainly not abandon the Lord to worship other gods."

Source: https://dailyverse.knowing-jesus.com/joshua-24-15

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement