Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Col 3:8-25

Author Topic: Col 3:8-25
clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colossians 3:25 King James Version (KJV)
25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

Easy English Bible
v25 But the *Lord will *punish anyone who does wrong things. That is what ought to happen to people like that. God uses the same rules to decide what should happen to each person. It does not matter who that person is.

© 1997-2008, Wycliffe Associates (UK)

These are my thoughts.
The Lord shows no favoritism but He does give forgiveness to anyone who accepts Him.

--------------------
God's word is truth

Posts: 303 | From: TN | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colossians 3:24 King James Version (KJV)
24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

An American English Bible
With Old Testament based on the Greek Septuagint

24 And because you know that you’ll get the reward of the inheritance from the Lord, slave for the Lord (the Anointed One)!

These are my thoughts.
With serving the Lord there is rewards.

--------------------
God's word is truth

Posts: 303 | From: TN | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:23
KJV 23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

Easy English Bible

v2 Continue to think about things that are above. Do not think about things that are on the earth.

These are my thoughts.
We need to realize we represent the Lord when we work and give our all for Him as we do things.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:22 King James Version (KJV)
22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;

The Easy English Bible

v22 Slaves, always obey your human masters in everything. Do not work well only when they can see you. So then they will be happy with you. Instead, always do your work well, because you really love the *Lord. So you want to make him happy.

These are my thoughts.
We need to work hard because we represent the Lord.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:21 King James Version (KJV)
21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.

Easy English Bible

v21 Fathers, do not make your children angry with you. They might think that they can never do anything to make you happy with them.

These are my thoughts.
Parents should try to bring their children upright but not in a way that makes them remain angry with their parents years later.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:20 King James Version (KJV)
20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.

Easy English Bible
v20 Children, you must obey your parents about everything. That is how you can make the *Lord happy.

These are my thoughts.
As long as it does go against what the Lord says children should obey their parents.

--------------------
God's word is truth

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the Church.

The love should be without limitation and sacrificial.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.

Easy English Bible
v19 Husbands, love your wives and be kind to them.

These are my thoughts.
Men need to show compassion to their wives, Christ set the example with His bride the church.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:18 King James Version (KJV)
18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

The Easy English Bible
v18 Wives, obey your husbands. That is the right thing to do, because you are the *Lord’s.

These are my thoughts.
Many women have a problem with this but it what the Lord wants, what the Lord wants is best even when it goes against what we want.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:17

KJV 17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Easy English Bible

v17 Everything that you do should make the *Lord Jesus happy. Everything that you say should make him happy. And whatever things you do, you should thank God the Father by the *Lord Jesus’ name.

These are my thoughts.
We are to live a life as Jesus would, to the glory of the Lord.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:16
KJV 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Easy English Bible

v16 Let Christ’s message live in you. Let it work in you. It will do many good things in you. It will help you to teach each other. It will help you to understand things correctly. God’s Spirit will cause you to sing different kinds of songs to each other, while you *worship God. You will sing like this to thank him for everything that he has done

These are my thoughts.
There are many ways we can worship but we should worship from our hearts.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:15
KJV 15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

Easy English Bible

v15 Let Christ rule what you think. Let him rule what you feel. If you do that, you will have no trouble inside yourselves or with other Christians. God wants you to be united like this, because all of you belong to one body really. And always thank God for everything.

These are my thoughts.
Christ gives us a peace that will not be found any where else.

--------------------
God's word is truth

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
These are my thoughts.
By the love Christ had which was shown on the cross we can be saved.

Well yes, Our Lord Jesus Christ felt a great deal of love for us to willingly sacrifice Himself to provide for our salvation. But it is not His love that saves us, it is grace through faith.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

What does this mean?

IT IS THE WORK OF THE TRIUNE GOD

God the Father: Rom. 12:3; I Cor. 12. This is true of faith both in its beginning (Phil. 1:29) and its development (1 Cor. 12). Faith, then, is a gift of His grace.

God the Son: Heb. 12:2—"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith." (Illustration, Matt. 14:30, 31—Peter taking his eyes off Christ.) I Cor. 12; Luke 17:5.

God the Spirit: Gal. 5:22; I Cor. 12:9. The Holy Spirit is the executive of the Godhead.

Why then, if faith is the work of the Godhead, are we responsible for not having it? God wills to work faith in all His creatures, and will do so if they do not resist His Holy Spirit. We are responsible, therefore, not so much for the lack of faith, but for resisting the Spirit who will create faith in our hearts if we will permit Him to do so.
(The Great Doctrines of the Bible)

There is no merit in faith alone. It is not mere faith that saves, but faith in Christ. Faith in any other savior but Christ will not save. Faith in any other gospel than that of the New Testament will not save (Gal. 1:8, 9).

And love? One of the best ways I know of to understand the importance of love is to try and imagine a world where there absolutely is none.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:14King James Version (KJV)
14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

Easy English Bible

v14 And you should love each other. That is the most important thing that you should do. Love is like clothes that go over all your other clothes. Love holds everything and everybody together. Love makes everything completely as it should be.

These are my thoughts.
By the love Christ had which was shown on the cross we can be saved.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:13
KJV 13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

Easy English Bible
v13 Do not get angry with each other, but be patient. You may not be happy about something that someone else has done. But you should *forgive that person. *Forgive them as the *Lord *forgave you.

These are my thoughts.
We are to have forgiveness in our hearts.

--------------------
God's word is truth

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
One of the verses just before this one reads:

Colossians 3:10 (NASB)
10 and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him—

The bolding is mine to point out that sanctification is progressive. I know we can't base a theory on just one verse, but I think some people have a longer journey than others. Some people begin in a church with lots of warm, happy family memories behind them. Other people start their journey raised in an atmosphere of violence and hardship, drugs and gangs. They have a longer journey ahead of them, but the Lord doesn't rush them to catch up. We each learn and grow according to the wisdom of the Holy Spirit within us.

Philippians 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Yes it is me and the verses are all about being made new in Christ.

--------------------
God's word is truth

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the verses just before this one reads:

Colossians 3:10 (NASB)
10 and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him—

The bolding is mine to point out that sanctification is progressive. I know we can't base a theory on just one verse, but I think some people have a longer journey than others. Some people begin in a church with lots of warm, happy family memories behind them. Other people start their journey raised in an atmosphere of violence and hardship, drugs and gangs. They have a longer journey ahead of them, but the Lord doesn't rush them to catch up. We each learn and grow according to the wisdom of the Holy Spirit within us.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John 6:44
Member # 8526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John 6:44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that you, Clark Thompson?

Now, I see this passage as a reference to progressive sanctification. What about everyone else?

--------------------
Jer. 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.

Posts: 6 | From: Crum, WVa | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:12
KJV 12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Easy English Bible

v12 God has chosen you to be his own special people. He loves you very much. So, you should choose to do good things, as God’s people should do. You should be good and kind to other people. You should want to help them. You should not think that you are better or more important than other people. But you should be patient with them.

These are my thoughts.
These traits we gain when we become children of the Father.

--------------------
God's word is truth

knowHim
Admin
Member # 8

Icon 14 posted      Profile for knowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So true!

--------------------
Plow on, plow on...
David Campbell

Posts: 426 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:11King James Version (KJV)
11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Easy English Bible

v11 When people have this new nature, they are not different from each other. *Jews are not different from people who are not *Jews. It does not matter whether someone has *circumcised you or not. It does not matter which country you come from. It does not matter whether you are a slave or a free person. But Christ is what matters. He is everything, and he is in everything.

These are my thoughts.
We are all the same at the foot of the cross.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:10King James Version (KJV)
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Easy English Bible
v10 Instead, you have put on the new nature, which God has made. And God is continuing to make you more and more like him. So then you will know him more and more completely

These are my thoughts.
We are to be new people, new people because we know Christ, not in the fallen image but in His image.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:9King James Version (KJV)
9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

Easy English Bible
v9 Stop saying things that are not true to each other. You should be like someone who has taken off old clothes. You have taken off the old nature. And, with that old nature, you have taken off all the bad things that you did before. That is why you should stop doing those things.

These are my thoughts.
We are to be honest.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:9King James Version (KJV)
9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

The Easy English Bible
v9 Stop saying things that are not true to each other. You should be like someone who has taken off old clothes. You have taken off the old nature. And, with that old nature, you have taken off all the bad things that you did before. That is why you should stop doing those things.

These are my thoughts.
We should be filled with truth and not lies.

--------------------
God's word is truth

clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Colossians 3:8King James Version (KJV)
8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Easy English Bible

v8 But now you must refuse to do these kinds of things. You must not become angry easily. You must not continue to be angry with people. You must not want to do bad things to people. You must not say bad things that are not true about people. You must not speak bad and dirty words.

These are my thoughts.
The Lord will have us remove things from our lives if we are His.

--------------------
God's word is truth

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement