Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » BEATITUDES: Setting the Table

Author Topic: BEATITUDES: Setting the Table
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Come enjoy our grass. It's a beautiful sunny day.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not my grass.
I am but a steward of the field under my care,
my brother.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noble
Advanced Member
Member # 11022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no nothing sticky; I have been teaching for years but when I get a push back I walk away. as for wildb enough of the smarmy comments, I am an Architectural historian and I look at Biblical history and Context with Biblical activities of the time. and I am way too old to argue over semantics and minutia. So let's start over and I will not walk on your grass.
Posts: 81 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh. Well, fudge with nuts! I stepped in something sticky...
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noble:
I'm sorry lady I have the teaching skills I need.
You have the board and I'll not interfere.
I just will comment on the innocuous.

You shur do. Deffenitly not a gift.

NEXT!

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noble
Advanced Member
Member # 11022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry lady I have the teaching skills I need.
You have the board and I'll not interfere.
I just will comment on the innocuous.

Posts: 81 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't need to stop. Just try harder and learn new teaching skills. You'll be challenged, but those are opportunities to grow. Don't you want to teach?
noble
Advanced Member
Member # 11022

Didn't I post Scripture? ok I shall not do any more thank you.
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke 6:12-20 (NASB)
12 It was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer to God. 13 And when day came, He called His disciples to Him and chose twelve of them, whom He also named as apostles: 14 Simon, whom He also named Peter, and Andrew his brother; and James and John; and Philip and Bartholomew; 15 and Matthew and Thomas; James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot; 16 Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

17 Jesus came down with them and stood on a level place; and there was a large crowd of His disciples, and a great throng of people from all Judea and Jerusalem and the coastal region of Tyre and Sidon, 18 who had come to hear Him and to be healed of their diseases; and those who were troubled with unclean spirits were being cured. 19 And all the people were trying to touch Him, for power was coming from Him and healing them all. 20 And turning His gaze toward His disciples, He began to say, "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

Luke states that the Lord came down from the mountain immediately after selecting the twelve, and stood on a level place, and He spoke to a large crowd of disciples.

After teaching the Beatitudes, Luke chapter 7 begins

Luke 7:1 (NASB)
When He had completed all His discourse in the hearing of the people, He went to Capernaum.

So even though He gazed at His disciples, the entire crowd heard Him teach the Beatitudes.

Matthew states

Matthew 5:1-3 (NASB)
1 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him.

2 He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, 3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

But according to Matthew, the Lord only had 4 disciples at that time.

noble, this statement doesn't seem true.
quote:
So we see these twelve as they follow along watching and listening to the discourse between Jesus and the religious leaders as I said before, and Jesus I would suppose finds the need to instruct them about the personal comportment they will have to develop.

Now along the Sea of Galilee are tall palisades or hills and it is probably here on one of these hills Jesus stops with the crowds all around, brings the inner twelve to Him to a bit of a plateau and begins to teach them.

It's going to be very difficult for anyone to "teach" on this message board if you are unable to post scripture. Computer skills are not required to be a member and participate - this board is about Jesus not computers - but to teach an interactive class like you said you wanted to do, you will need to post scripture.

It's also worth mentioning that "the discourse between Jesus and the religious leaders" is called the Eight Woes in Matthew 23:13-36, and these Woes are often contrasted to the Beatitudes.

noble
Advanced Member
Member # 11022

Alright, BUT you MUST read the WHOLE context. Yes He did one by one or two by two etc. But he did develop quite a crowd and with Luke 6 there are evidently far more than twelve so when He came down from the mountain where He spent the night Praying , AT THAT POINT, he selected the twelve from the group that was there. It is not that important to go to war over but I teach in as full a context as I am able. This table setting is to enter the study of the Beatitudes, to whom did He give them, Why did He give them and so forth.
I am outside in 80o weather ripping bushes right now so I'll get back at it and go over further any questions.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noble:
Read the verse I quoted

I posted mine and why after reading your text.

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

noble
Advanced Member
Member # 11022

Read the verse I quoted
WildB
Member # 2917

Did not read the, "Follow Me" there my brother?

"Follow Me" is not group,

but INDIVIDUAL,

INVITE.

Example. Mark 2:14 And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him,Follow me. And he arose and followed him.

--------------------
That is all.....

noble
Advanced Member
Member # 11022

Good call but read Luke 6: 12through 16; One of those days Jesus went up to the mountain to Pray, and spent the night Praying to God. When Morning came,He Called His disciples to Him and chose twelve of them whom He also designated Apostles.
By this time of the followers all who were designated had been with Him. So it seems there were a lot more than twelve disciples [ or learners, students etc] Vs 14 to 16 names them all.

WildB
Member # 2917

"Jesus selected his Disciples from the groups that followed Him."

Not Biblical...If so please provide the text so the baseball fans can read for them-selves...

--------------------
That is all.....

noble
Advanced Member
Member # 11022

From Matthew 4: 18 through 25; Jesus is cranking up His Ministry selecting His Disciples as He goes. He is traveling along the coastline of the Sea of Galilee making stops at the various towns, going to Synagogue at Sabbath and teaching there, healing various sicknesses and demon possessed. There seems to be a large following gathering as He goes. Compare this to Luke 6: 17 through 19; And the way Luke puts it, Jesus selected his Disciples from the groups that followed Him. But regardless of where they all came from, there were about 120+ learners who faithfully followed and Jesus selected 12 to be the inner circle. Also among the followers were a couple of Pharisees and Priests. From the get go, they Challenged Jesus on things He was allegedly doing, "picking grain or gleaning on the Sabbath" Luke 6: 1through 5,or healing on the Sabbath, Luke 6: 6 through 11;
Now this new inner circle group is seeing the conflict Jesus has with the Religious leadership, and I am sure it perplexes them. In Matthew 4: 17 Jesus has announced that the Kingdom of Heaven is near, sort of picking up where John the Baptist has left off.
It is interesting to note, Jesus did understand organization, and we also note the "Twelve" which some who like numerology will equate with the twelve Tribes, which would be ACTUALLY CORRECT. Look at Revelation. They will be given the twelve thrones, right?
So we see these twelve as they follow along watching and listening to the discourse between Jesus and the religious leaders as I said before, and Jesus I would suppose finds the need to instruct them about the personal comportment they will have to develop.
Now along the Sea of Galilee are tall palisades or hills and it is probably here on one of these hills Jesus stops with the crowds all around, brings the inner twelve to Him to a bit of a plateau and begins to teach them.
We have set the table next lesson will be searching the truths of the Beatitudes.
By the way Nicodemus when we meet him in John 3:1 was a Pharisee and a member of the Sanhedrin, which is the ruling body of the Jewish Religious leaders. We would translate it 'The Seventy' more like our Supreme Court for The Jewish Law [Torah]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement