Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Why Preachers are Afraid to Talk about Hell and Homosexuality

Author Topic: Why Preachers are Afraid to Talk about Hell and Homosexuality
clark
Advanced Member
Member # 10632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some preachers today view preaching as a career instead of a calling. They focus on making money and getting numbers up instead of pleasing God and spreading the truth.

--------------------
God's word is truth

Posts: 303 | From: TN | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen!!!!

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really excellent post KnowHim. Really, really excellent!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With ya Always <
till the end,

Amen. [cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to be a disease today among Christians who desire to be more politically correct than biblically correct.

In today’s society there is a huge “anti-hate” movement, which is another way for saying “politically correct”. Most Christians are taught to be loving, kind, and compassionate; to go against homosexuals is an act that directly flies in the face of these teachings – or so it seems.

quote:
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. The Book of Matthew, Chapter 7:1-2
The above passage is what the majority of homosexuals and liberals will use against any Christian who dares to question another’s way of life. It appears to me that the great majority of these type of people naturally assume that you “hate” them because you disagree with them. They are extremely emotional people who cannot argue with logic or understanding, but the majority of the time with insults and flaming words. This is the same mentality a child would appear to possess – which is the mentality of extreme selfishness and the desire to only satisfy one’s self.

We as Christians must be cautious as to how we approach a subject matter with non-believers, those who would be driven away from Christ because of feeling condemnation, or atheists; there is plenty of ammo for these people to use against us. By nature they hold us to a higher standard – mainly because we come to them with speaking of something being morally wrong.

The first tactics these people will use against any professing Christian is to analyze the Christian’s lifestyle. They will often look at what that Christian does, and try to use that against them; they try to turn the tables on you.

So we, as Christians, must remember the following:

quote:
Why do you behold the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how will thou say to they brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? [bThe Book of Matthew, Chapter 7:3-4[/b]
Basically what the above is saying is remember that you are flawed and should not tell anybody how to live their life.

So how then should we proceed? Obviously homosexuality is biblically wrong – and God is totally against it.

This is where the concept of hell comes into play.

We need to inform the “sinner” that we do not judge them – only that we are concerned for them. You see, homosexuality is a sin, just as stealing, adultery, and a whole bunch of other things. It is not us judging them or their lifestyle – it is the almighty God in heaven has said something is wrong. What we fear for the homosexual, or unbeliever is that God, not us, will judge them during the great day of judgment – unless they repent and accept Jesus Christ!

Hell is very real – most people are so sensitive to the subject because it scares them deeply. And they should be scared.

But – by accepting Jesus Christ – that fear can be eliminated. For the Blood of Christ has covered our sins – everything from homosexuality to murder. But we must repent. We must accept. We must stay strong.

God-bless.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 3 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I banned a very nice orthodox priest from my Facebook page recently. He was polite, kind, respectful, friendly, and it seemed that he was always talking about the importance of love and forgiveness. However, after one of my posts he asked, “Why do you bring fear into the gospel?” The question was a little strange, so I asked if he believed in the existence of a literal Hell. After some hedging he revealed that he believed that Hell was “the fire of God’s love,” and he linked me to an article that said that it was disgusting to go around warning people about Hell. Up until that point I had already banned 1,449 atheists for cussing, and when the friendly priest joined them, I was suddenly flooded with angry protesting atheists who loved him. I told them that they were very welcome on my page, but even any professing Christian who betrayed the cause of the gospel would be banned.

There are many preachers in pulpits that are like the popular priest. One atheist spoke of one when he commented, “I went to church four days ago. I liked the preacher because he didn't yell and scream and tell me I was going to Hell. He smiled the whole time he talked. Why can't more of them be like that?" I told him that it seemed that his smiley preacher (like the friendly priest), either didn’t believe the words of Jesus, or he didn’t care that people who die in their sins would end up in Hell.

These are, however, difficult times for the average preacher. If we warn of Hell or speak of the Bible’s stance on homosexuality, we are quickly accused of hate speech. But there are ways that you and I can talk about the reality of Hell and reach homosexuals with the gospel, and have it make sense.

One reason preachers avoid speaking of Hell isn’t because they don’t believe in it. It’s because they misunderstand the purpose of the moral Law (the Ten Commandments). God’s Law shows us that the One we must face on Judgment Day is morally perfect, and that He considers lust to be adultery (see Matthew 5:27-28) and hatred to be murder (see 1 John 3:15). It is because of this perfect righteousness that He abhors evil and warns that a day of ultimate and perfect justice is coming. Any human judge who is good must see that justice is done, and God’s goodness will see to it that ultimate justice will be satisfied. Murderers, rapists, thieves, liars, fornicators, adulterers, etc., will get what is due to them.

When preachers don’t use the Law to show God’s absolute righteousness, and instead talk of His love and kindess, adding “But He will send you to Hell if you don’t trust in Jesus” makes no sense. It paints God as a vengeful tyrant. So any such talk is avoided.

However, when Paul reasoned with Felix, we are told that he spoke of sin (which is transgression of the Law—1 John 3:4), righteousness (which is of the Law) and temperance, and Felix “trembled.” In the light of his own exceeding sinfulness and the perfect righteousness of God, the self-indulgent governor understood that he was in big trouble. He trembled because Hell suddenly made sense. The Law makes Hell reasonable.

When I speak with a homosexual, I avoid talk about his sexual orientation. This is because I don’t want him to be offended before I share the gospel. So I simply ask if he thinks he’s a good person. When he predictably says that he is, I take him through the Ten Commandments (because scripture says that the moral Law was made for homosexuals--1Timothy 1:8-10)). Has he lied or stolen? Has he blasphemed God’s name? And when I ask about looking with lust, I deliberately don’t mention any gender.

Before seeing his sin, he was proud and self-righteous (thinking he was morally good), but now he’s humble of heart. That means he is able to be reasoned with, without being defensive. So I tell him that to be saved from Hell he must repent of all sin and trust alone in Jesus. I then show him what “sin” is, by referring him to 1 Corinthians 6:9-10: “Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.” I then lovingly tell him that if he has a problem with the list, he should take it up with God, because it’s His list, not mine.

I want to see adulterers, fornicators, thieves and others on that list avoid the terror of Hell, so why should I exclude homosexuals because I’m afraid of being accused of hatred. Love cannot do that.

Great preachers of past centuries understood the necessity of doing what Jesus did—using the Ten Commandments to bring the knowledge of sin (see Mark 10:17). A failure to do so has resulted in the Church being filled with false converts, and this has dissipated its ability to be salt and light in a dark and sinful world. It has relegated the Church to irrelevance in the eyes of the world (see Matthew 5:13). It’s time to go back to biblical evangelism.

For further teaching on these principles please freely listen to “Hell’s Best Kept Secret” on www.livingwaters.com.

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement