Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Repentence

Author Topic: Repentence
practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
Let the Spirit enlighten the Word, the baseball fans dont need no lengthy PhD dissertation of ones opinions of what "THEY" think the Word says.

2 Corinthians 7

1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
2 Receive us; we have wronged no man, we have corrupted no man, we have defrauded no man.
3 I speak not this to condemn you: for I have said before, that ye are in our hearts to die and live with you.
4 Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation.
5 For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears.
6 Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus;
7 And not by his coming only, but by the consolation wherewith he was comforted in you, when he told us your earnest desire, your mourning, your fervent mind toward me; so that I rejoiced the more.
8 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.
9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

[cool_shades]

First of all opinions are like brains everybody has one and some are better than others. If you want to believe what I post is opinion and what you post is fact, that is your choice. Second, What Paul says to the Corinthians in verses 8-10 of the passage you posted is a great example of how the same word can mean different things. If you do a careful study of the word repent there you would see what I mean. Lastly, It would do you good to be a little more tactful in criticizing others. I am happy to discuss a topic with someone who has an opposing view, but when they say to me, "I don't give a ratsass what you believe", that tells me they are really not concerned about trying to help me, but they should be if they feel I'm wrong. I'm going to close this post by saying something and really sticking to it! You know, it's what we see at the end of all your posts, "THAT IS ALL!"

--------------------
The Church of Jesus Christ is perfect for those who are not!

Posts: 53 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 14 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB125:
I think that practicalbibleteaching makes a good point that "repentance" should not be considered as some "work" that one does in order to be saved. I think that it is well to recognize that "repentance" is part of one's shift in attention from self to God, from what one does to please himself or herself to what one does and seeks to do to please and to serve God through Jesus. Such a shift in focus from self to God cannot be done through one's own uninspired effort, but it can only be done through one's cooperative surrender to the transforming indwelling power of the Spirit in his work of sanctification. Paul has some very wise things to say about sin and this process in chapters 6-8 of his letter to the Romans.

Well said

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that practicalbibleteaching makes a good point that "repentance" should not be considered as some "work" that one does in order to be saved. I think that it is well to recognize that "repentance" is part of one's shift in attention from self to God, from what one does to please himself or herself to what one does and seeks to do to please and to serve God through Jesus. Such a shift in focus from self to God cannot be done through one's own uninspired effort, but it can only be done through one's cooperative surrender to the transforming indwelling power of the Spirit in his work of sanctification. Paul has some very wise things to say about sin and this process in chapters 6-8 of his letter to the Romans.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by practicalbibleteaching:

Godly sorrow worketh repentance, but it is not repentance itself.

Saz you.

God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise,and the base and despised things of the world to bring to nought the sillyness of the flesh.

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 8 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God choose the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Godly sorrow worketh repentance, but it is not repentance itself.

--------------------

Posts: 53 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let the Spirit enlighten the Word, the baseball fans dont need no lengthy PhD dissertation of ones opinions of what "THEY" think the Word says.

2 Corinthians 7

1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
2 Receive us; we have wronged no man, we have corrupted no man, we have defrauded no man.
3 I speak not this to condemn you: for I have said before, that ye are in our hearts to die and live with you.
4 Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation.
5 For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears.
6 Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus;
7 And not by his coming only, but by the consolation wherewith he was comforted in you, when he told us your earnest desire, your mourning, your fervent mind toward me; so that I rejoiced the more.
8 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.
9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 15 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke 13:1-5

There are two basic meanings of the words translated repent, repented, or repentance in the Bible. We will briefly look at both of them, but I challenge you to study this for yourself. One is found in Gen 6:5-6 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. In this passage the word "repented" means to be sorry, to console oneself, or regret. It's easy to see that definition if you look at the context in which the word is used. The other meaning is found in Luke 13:3,5. The word repent means to change one's mind or to reconsider. That is the meaning we always find in the New Testament where the word repent is used concerning salvation from sin. Repent is an english word not used much in modern times, but modern dictionaries show the meaning to be sorry or show remorse. One modern dictionary I have says it means turning from sin, which is not a definition of the word repent anywhere in the Bible.

Repentance is a requirement for salvation. Jesus said in Mark 1:15 ...The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel. Paul said in Acts 20:20-21 ...I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. The words repent and repentance in those verses have the exact same meaning as we seen in Luke 13:3,5. There are 2 common phrases often heard when men preach about salvation. One is, "repent of your sin". If we use the Bible meaning for the word repent the phrase would say, "change your mind of your sin" or "reconsider of your sin". There are two things very wrong with saying that to a lost person. The first is you are asking something he cannot completely do, saved people spend a lifetime trying to do it. The Second is you have placed as a requirement for salvation something that is not asked by God. Most who use the phrase, "repent of your sin", don't use the Bible definition for repent, by "repent of" they mean to turn from. This bring me to the other phrase we hear, "turn from your sin". Again, the major problem with saying that to a lost person is that it is not a requirement given by God for salvation from sin.

Does it matter what we believe about what it means to repent? I believe so, because it makes a difference in how we offer God's salvation to others. If I believe that repent means to be sorry, to regret my past, or to turn from sin, then I will present those to others as a requirement for being saved. One problem with it is if I present those false requirements to someone I give them a good opportunity to trust in what they are doing to be saved. Some would say I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but please remember repentance is a requirement for salvation and a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. If I say to people you must be sorry for your sin, you must regret what you have done, you must repent of all your sin, you must turn from sin to the Savior, then I have just place requirements for being saved that are no where taught in the Bible for salvation from sin. I believe that has the potential to be extremely damaging to the souls of men. Whenever we give someone the opportunity to do something to be saved they may take us up on it and it might be the worst thing that could happen to them. Now let's take a few minutes to examine our text.

13:1 the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices - The following comes from Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Commentary. "The details of the incident referred to here, in which Jewish blood was shed at or near the temple during a time of sacrifices, are not known. Pilate was known for his insensitivity to the Jewish people early in his rule. The event probably occurred during the Feast of the Passover or Tabernacles, when Galileans most likely would have been at the temple."

13:2 Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans - The statement of Jesus here reflects what was in the heart of the people that were present with Him. It is the reaction of many who believe in God when they see tragedy strike others. It can be seen in the words of Job's friends in Job 4:7-9 Remember, I pray thee, who ever perished, being innocent? or where were the righteous cut off? Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same. By the blast of God they perish, and by the breath of his nostrils are they consumed.

13:4 those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? - Siloam was located in the southeast section of Jerusalem. The event referred to here was a natural tragedy as opposed to the violent human act described in verse one. However, the same question was raised. Were the people who suffered being judged for their sins? This was a common belief even among the disciples of Christ. John 9:1-3 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. A person who believed as Job's friends and the disciples of Christ once did, that misfortune, accident, tragedy, or illness was a judgment for sin in the life of those who suffered them would have no trouble accepting the wrong definition of the word repent. They would most certainly say, "you must be sorry for and turn from your sin to be saved or get right with God". What's important here is what Jesus says in response to what they believed in their heart.

13:3,5 except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish - Remember the specific meaning of repent here is to change your mind or reconsider. Jesus is saying, "change your mind, reconsider what you believe or you too will be destroyed." What did they need to change their mind about? Here are two possibilities: Who Jesus was and the way they intended to get to heaven. For all who have been saved there had to be a time in their life when they went from believing they were okay to seeing they were lost without Christ, when they stopped trusting in them selves and looked to Jesus for their salvation. That is the meaning of true repentance as it concerns salvation from sin.

When we see repentance as it truly is it shifts all the requirements of what we must do to what Christ has already done. Another words, it takes the work out of being saved. And that makes perfect sense because the Bible says, Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement