Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Making a Difference (Part 2)

Author Topic: Making a Difference (Part 2)
practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Text: Matthew 5:3-7

Verse three speaks of knowing our great need of God our Creator. Isa 66:2 ...to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word. Paul realized how important seeing your need for God was in influencing the lives of others. He said in 2 Cor 12:7-10 ...lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. The more we see our need the more we depend upon God. The more we depend upon God the more of His grace is seen in our life and the more we influence others for Christ. Knowing our need for God and having His grace helps us reach out to others for Him. Jesus said that of those who see their great need for God, the kingdom of heaven belongs to them.

Verse four speaks of having sorrow. Mourn here literally means to grieve. How could someone see the true spiritual need of Israel in the time of Christ and not be grieved. Jesus lamented over Jerusalem in Matt 23:37-39 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. Seeing a great spiritual need around us and being grieved by it makes us more likely to become part of the solution. There is a big misconception today about what true Biblical joy is. Most think it is best described by happiness, laughter, and a cheerful disposition. Biblical joy is better described by what results from a total trust and dependence upon God. Those who mourn over the great spiritual need of those around them are promised by Christ that they will be comforted. I believe that means in this present world and the world to come. Someone who sees the evil yet is comforted by a trust in God is very likely to overcome the evil with good. In doing so they will make a difference.

Verse five speaks of those with mildness of disposition and gentleness of spirit. Humility may not be popular, but it does draw attention. Dr. Ironside said, "The world admires the pushing, self-assertive man. Jesus Christ was meek and lowly in heart. Those who partake of His spirit are the ones who get the most out of life. It is they who "inherit the earth," for they see in all nature the evidences of the Father's love and care." True humility recognizes God's presence and His provision, it sees Him as the answer to every problem. Someone once said, "Take every opportunity to humble yourself because you need it, even when your right and the other person is wrong. The reason: God resists the proud and gives His grace to the humble." God's grace in our life makes a difference in the lives of others. One sign of true humility is a willingness to wait on God. Ps 27:14 Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord. Isa 40:31 ...they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Paul wrote in Phil 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. If we learn to wait on God we are going to make a difference in the lives of others. The promise here to the meek is they will inherit the Earth. Reigning with Christ is conditional. Romans 8:16-17 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. Our Savior's greatest example of this was given by the offering of Himself for our sins. Of Christ Isaiah prophesied in Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. Who can look at Jesus and say humility can't make a difference in this world? Blessed are those who will humble themselves, identifying with Christ, they will reign with Christ over the Earth.

Verse six speaks of a desire for what is just and right. Those that hunger and thirst after righteousness are looking for it outside of themselves. They are not satisfied with what they find in their own heart. They truly understand what Paul said in Phil 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness echo the words of Paul in Phil 3:7-10 ...what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings. For those of us who are saved and continue to hunger and thirst after righteousness the Word of God has good news for us. Romans 8:3-4 ...what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, they will not only be saved, but they will walk with God through this world. It's hard to imagine someone like that not making a difference in the lives of others and winning people to Christ.

Verse seven speaks of active compassion. Someone once said, "the merciful are not taken to be the wisest, nor are likely to be the richest; yet Christ pronounces them blessed." Speaking of what should be a character trait of the Old Testament high priest, the Bible says in Heb 5:2 Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity. The merciful person knows of his own sinfulness. King David was such a man. He said of himself in Psalm 38:4-7 For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me. My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness. I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long. For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: and there is no soundness in my flesh. We are admonished to be merciful. Gal 6:1-3 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. Jesus was merciful: John 8:3-11 ...the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?...But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. Where is the person that would say this woman's life was not forever changed by what Jesus showed her that day? Blessed are the merciful, God will be merciful to them. A merciful person will make a great difference in the lives of others and will win people to Christ.

--------------------
The Church of Jesus Christ is perfect for those who are not!

Posts: 53 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement