Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » A study on 1 Corinthians 11:27

Author Topic: A study on 1 Corinthians 11:27
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bloodbought,
You said:
"I think when one eats to satisfy hunger, or gets drunk on excess wine, they are taking communion in an unworthy manner".

My response:
I found that the defintion of the word "unworthy" in a regular dictionary is not helpful in determining what Paul is trying to express in that particular verse. The bible dictionary offers a definition that seems to make more sense with the surrounding context.....that definition being....to treat communion as a common thing.

So all in all, if one eats to satisfy hunger or gets drunk on excess wine they treat communion as a common thing.

With love in Jesus, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneinchrist:
1 Corinthians 11:27

Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

What does "unworthy manner" mean?

I personally think that it means "having unconfessed sin".......which would obviously include non-believers because they have not confessed their sin of rejecting Jesus.

What do you think?

I think when one eats to satisfy hunger, or gets drunk on excess wine, they are taking communion in an unworthy manner.

1 Corinthians 11:17–22 (ESV)
The Lord’s Supper
17 But in the following instructions I do not commend you, because when you come together it is not for the better but for the worse. 18 For, in the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you. And I believe it in part, 19 for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized. 20 When you come together, it is not the Lord’s supper that you eat. 21 For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry, another gets drunk. 22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I commend you in this? No, I will not.

Before one takes communion they must examine themselves.

2 Corinthians 13:5 (ESV)
5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Betty,
I think that what you said and the example you gave goes "hand in hand" with what I said.
I think that there are some who think that "unworthy manner" has to do with how good they are......which we know it does not mean.

My Vines Concise Dictionary of the Bible says unworthy, unworthily(as used in 1 Cor. 11:27) means......treating it is a common meal, the bread and cup as common things, not apprehending their solemn symbolic import

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think it is the state of the heart. If you have bitterness in your heart against your brother, when you take communion then you are unworthy. I make it a point to ask forgiveness before I take Communion.
Betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

1 Corinthians 11:27

Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

What does "unworthy manner" mean?

I personally think that it means "having unconfessed sin".......which would obviously include non-believers because they have not confessed their sin of rejecting Jesus.

What do you think?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement