Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » "DISCIPLES AND APOSTLES"

Author Topic: "DISCIPLES AND APOSTLES"
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildB,
Yes, without a doubt.......it is Jesus who commissioned Paul.............but Paul would never and did never call the message that he received a "greater" message. It is men who call it that.

And yes it is true that it is men who call the commands given to the disciples to be carried out till the end...........the Great Commission.....nevertheless the commands still stand till the end.

Sidenote: Just because Jesus told us some of the things that would come with those who believe............speaking in tounges, saved from poisonous snakes, etc.......it should not be implied that everyone will experience all of those things in their walk with God.......God will distribute, by the Holy Spirit, as He deems necessary to fullfill his purpose in us.

With love in Jesus, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 7 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneinchrist:
Hi WildB,

You said:

Granted, our Lord's commission to the eleven was indeed a great commission, but it should never be called "the great commission," for the ascended Lord later committed a greater, a far greater, message and ministry to the Apostle Paul.

My response:

Yes, it should be called "The" Great Commission (instead of "A" Great Commission.......why? .....because Jesus is "The" One who gave it.

What? a greater, far greater message
Paul would rebuke you for elevating him so high.

So useing your logic since Jesus Commissioned Paul

from heaven it should be called "The" Greater Commission? If you studied script at all you would know Paul would be rebuking you for mixing law with grace.

[rapture]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi WildB,

You said:

Granted, our Lord's commission to the eleven was indeed a great commission, but it should never be called "the great commission," for the ascended Lord later committed a greater, a far greater, message and ministry to the Apostle Paul.

My response:

Yes, it should be called "The" Great Commission (instead of "A" Great Commission.......why? .....because Jesus is "The" One who gave it.

What? a greater, far greater message
Paul would rebuke you for elevating him so high.

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 7 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello Wild B,
OK, lets not call it the Great Commission. It appears that Paul carried out most of the items on the list(which we will not call the Great Commission)...............

Preaching the gospel, baptizing (minimally, not as much as others), speaking in tounges( even more than you all), bit by a poisonous snake, healings....that about covers it all.........no???????

WAS THE APOSTLE PAUL
A PRESBYTERIAN,
A CAMPBELLITE,
A BAPTIST
OR A PENTECOSTALIST?
“GOD’S PURPOSE AND PROGRAM
DURING THIS AGE OF GRACE
WAS THE APOSTLE PAUL A PRESBYTERIAN?

http://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/ohair/GRACE%20WORKS%20IN%20ADOBE/WAS%20THE%20APOSTLE%20PAUL.pdf

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hello LeRoy,

I am here to study the bible. If I feel that someones view is not in line with the bible, I do have the right to challenge them on their view. I try to do it in a polite way without being rude or offensive. I do not just say.........you are wrong, or you are a liar, etc. ............I will try to give passages and/or explanation to state my position and then hope for a response. I will not agree just to be friendly or to avoid argument.

LeRoy, I would ask you if (when you involve yourself in the middle of my dialogue with another person) that you would be willing to share what you believe about the topic and why. Who knows? We may all learn something from each other.......seeing the same topic from different vantage points.

thefixer
Advanced Member
Member # 8837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thefixer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dear brother Daniel,
What I find most distressing in the body of believers is not that they have differing perspectives of Scripture and wish to convey their understanding with others, It is when the conversation becomes antagonistic that I believe Jesus' presence leaves the discourse. Wild Bill seems to have gotten the message and calmly and purposely stated his position. For this I praise him. In the end, it doesn't matter if I believe the exact same things you or anyone else does. It matters that we are all of the same heart, the heart of our Savior, Jesus.
May we all have the courage to examine ourselves and others with love in our hearts and through the eyes of Jesus.
Your brother in Christ, LeRoy (thefixer).

Posts: 71 | From: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hello Wild B,
OK, lets not call it the Great Commission. It appears that Paul carried out most of the items on the list(which we will not call the Great Commission)...............

Preaching the gospel, baptizing (minimally, not as much as others), speaking in tounges( even more than you all), bit by a poisonous snake, healings....that about covers it all.........no???????

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hello LeRoy,
You praised WildB for his response to me with these words:

Your response reflects the very essence of a true disciple's understanding of God's word and the simple way in which to express it to the world.

But the truth of the matter is, the only words that were straight from WildB were these words:

He obeyed the commission given to him.

You compair and figure it out.

thefixer
Advanced Member
Member # 8837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thefixer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear brother Wild Bill,
I pray that you would always be so clear in your writings as you are in this. Your response reflects the very essence of a true disciple's understanding of God's word and the simple way in which to express it to the world.
Thank you, my brother and may you remain true to the Spirit of our Savior.
Your brother in Christ, LeRoy (thefixer).

Posts: 71 | From: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

quote:
Hi WildB,

I was wondering.............Do you believe that the Apostle Paul obeyed the Great Commission? If not, could you please specify.

He obeyed the commission given to him.

You compair and figure it out.

Acts 9

15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

Mark 16

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

The Word of God does not call it "the great commission"; men do.

This obvious and important fact should be borne in mind by those who earnestly desire to "rightly divide the Word of truth" and carry out intelligently God's program for us today. Such a recognition would be the first step in the discovery of the root cause of the doctrinal divisions that have separated true believers in Christ and have gripped the Church in deep confusion which it does not seem possible, otherwise, to dispel.

The commission which our Lord gave to the eleven (later twelve) has so long been called "the great commission" that multitudes of sincere believers have a hazy notion that the Bible designates it thus. The fact is, however, that this designation merely reflects traditional views and, as in our Lord's day, "the traditions of men" all too often "make void the Word of God."

--------------------
That is all.....

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi WildB,

I was wondering.............Do you believe that the Apostle Paul obeyed the Great Commission? If not, could you please specify.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

"And when it was day, He called unto Him His disciples: and of them He chose twelve, whom also He named apostles" (Luke 6:13).

Many people fail to distinguish between our Lord's disciples and His apostles. They suppose they are the same. This is incorrect, however, for our Lord had a multitude of disciples while He had only a few apostles. His apostles were chosen from among His disciples, as we learn from the above message from Luke's gospel.

A disciple is a follower; an apostle is a "sent one". A disciple is a learner; an apostle is a teacher. There is a great lesson here for us all to learn.

We must come before we can go. We must follow before we can be sent. We must learn before we can teach. We must listen to the Lord before we can speak for the Lord.

"Thus saith the Lord", was the familiar phrase with which the Old Testament prophets began their messages. But at the head of the long list of Old Testament prophets we find Samuel, a young lad, saying: "SPEAK LORD, FOR THY SERVANT HEARETH" (I Sam.3:9).

Before we can do or say anything for God, then, we must listen to God. This explains why the reading and study of the Word of God is so important.

First, salvation itself comes by hearing and believing God's Word, especially about Christ, and His death for our sins. Romans 10:17 says: "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God", and I Peter 1:23: "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth forever". Then, having been saved, we can serve God acceptably only by diligent study of His Word. Perhaps the most important passage in the Bible on this subject is II Timothy 2:15:

"STUDY TO SHOW THYSELF APPROVED UNTO GOD, A WORKMAN THAT NEEDETH NOT TO BE ASHAMED, RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH."

--------------------
That is all.....

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement