Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » WHERE DO YOU STAND?

Author Topic: WHERE DO YOU STAND?
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hebrew is "bowed down" not "worshipped". Joshua bowed down before the man.

Most commentators say the man was the preincarnate Lord, the same as appeared to Abraham. But Judges 2 specifically says "angel".

Toward the end of Joshua’s life the angel of the Lord chose to speak to the people. The words the angel spoke caused the people to weep.

“And the angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I swear unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you. And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this? Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you. And it came to pass, when the angel of the LORD spake these words unto all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voice, and wept.” (Judges 2:1-4)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 19 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thunderz7:
Scripture context with scripture.
The context of Joshua 5:13-15 with Rev.19:10,
Rev.22:8-9 & Ex.3:5.= rightly dividing the WORD of Truth.

Your mixing and matching is Weak.

quote:
14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?
15 And the captain of the LORD’S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

In v14, Joshua fell on his face and "DID" worship, then asked "What saith the lord of his servant".
In v15, Joshua has risen from his face down position, the captain tells him to loose the shoe for the place you are "STANDING" is holy
quite obvious that he fell and worshiped in 14,
then rose in 15.

Again please show the baseball fans where it says,

"the LORD's host accepted worship."

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scripture context with scripture.
The context of Joshua 5:13-15 with Rev.19:10,
Rev.22:8-9 & Ex.3:5.= rightly dividing the WORD of Truth.

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 5 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?
15 And the captain of the LORD’S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

In v14, Joshua fell on his face and "DID" worship, then asked "What saith the lord of his servant".
In v15, Joshua has risen from his face down position, the captain tells him to loose the shoe for the place you are "STANDING" is holy
then rose in 15.

And please show the baseball fans where it says,

"the LORD's host accepted worship."

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

then rose in 15.

Rev. 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Rev. 22:8 And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
9 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

YHWH's holy angels do not accept worship and direct the worship to GOD.

Exodus 3:5 And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.
Acts 7:33 Then said the Lord to him, Put off thy shoes from thy feet: for the place where thou standest is holy ground.

The only other places where it is written of a like saying was YHWH speaking to Moses.

The captain of the LORD's host in Joshua is not Michael.

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you read that where?

15 And the captain of the LORD's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot...

Thats hardly the acceptance of worship my brother but instead a order of direction..

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Joshua worshiped and the captain of the LORD's host accepted worship.
Where is it written that Michael, or any other of YHWH's angels, accepted worship?
This captain ranks far higher than Michael!

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 16 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

Joshua 5:13 and 14 contain a lesson which every believer should learn. God had appointed Joshua to lead the people of Israel into the land of Canaan. It was just before the battle of Jericho that the great leader looked up to see a man with a drawn sword facing him. His sudden appearance must have startled Joshua, but he showed no trace of fear -- not Joshua!

Advancing toward the man Joshua demanded: "Art thou for us or for our adversaries?" No wonder the answer brought him to his knees! He had been standing face to face with the captain of the Lord's hosts, no doubt Michael, the angelic prince of Israel (See Dan. 10:21 and 12:1).

The question was not whose side was the angel of God on, but whose side was Joshua on! Was he himself in harmony with God's will?

What a lesson to learn! In the constant battle over truth and error there is a tendency for Christians to demand of other Christians: "Whose side are you on? Are you for us or for our adversaries?"

If this is as far as we have gotten in our service for the Lord we still have much to learn, for the great question is not: "Are you on my side?" but "Am I on God's side?"

God's truth will prevail. His purposes will be carried out, and even though we might be on the side of the most powerful and influential of men, we will surely be driven to defeat if we are not in harmony with God's Word and will.

Should we not all fall on our faces with Joshua, then, and ask: "What saith my Lord unto His servant?"

--------------------
That is all.....

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement