Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Free from the Law.

Author Topic: Free from the Law.
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does Christ set us free from the bondage of the Law?

He must be perfect deity and perfect human, and He needed to be under the Law.

Gal 4:4-5 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

He must be without sin.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

He must be a mediator and a satisfactory ransom to buy back slaves to sin.

1 Tim 2:5-6 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

He must pay the price in full.

1 Pet 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

He must go to heaven.

Heb 8:1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

Now that Christ has shown that He is perfect deity.
Perfect human.
Kept the Law perfectly without sin.
Is a perfect mediator.
Was a satisfactory ransom to buy back slaves to sin.
Has paid the price in full.
Is now in heaven.
we can totally depend on Him, and on Him alone to save us from the penalty of sin imposed on us by the Law. By faith in Him we are not under the Law, but under Grace.

Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/j/p/jpaidall.htm

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Marlene,

The Law reminds us how bad we are every day, and we can’t help ourselves. We find ourselves doing the things that we don’t want to do and the things that we want to do we don’t do. We are caught with sin and the only one that can help is Christ. By faith in Him we are set free from the condemnation of the Law.

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlene
Advanced Member
Member # 8489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marlene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

He did not come to abolish the law. He personified that law. He came to demand perfection. Fulfilled law is no longer the law imposed upon a person from the outside, but that which is written on the heart and becomes a part of who you are.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Paul sights the two sons of Abraham, Isaac and Ishmael in the Old Testament, as an illustration to explain the contrast between Law and Grace.

The Galatians had not yet gone back to legalism, but they wanted to. Paul was determined to convince them that there was no inheritance for those in bondage to the Law as illustrated by Ishmael, who was born of Hagar, the slave woman and had a natural birth that is, in the course of nature and requiring no miracle and no promise of God. Hagar brought forth a slave, so does the Law.

Isaac, on the other hand, was born as the result of a promise. Abraham and Sarah were beyond the age of childbearing, but God miraculously fulfilled His promise in bringing life out of the deadness of Sarah’s womb. Isaac was the younger of these two sons of Abraham, and it is this second supernatural birth of Isaac that is an illustration of grace and freedom from the Law. Isaac, was born of Sarah, the free woman.

He that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit. Law and Grace are not compatible.

Galatians 4:21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? 22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. 24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. 25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. 26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. 28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. 29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. 30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

Gladly the will of my Lord I obey;
He is my Keeper from day unto day;
He is my Guide, and He knoweth the way,
His grace is sufficient for me.

http://nethymnal.org/htm/h/i/s/hisgisfm.htm

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Prior to coming to faith in Christ and getting saved, what was our relationship to the Law?

Before faith came we were confined, imprisoned under the power of sin. We did not obey the Law and therefore we were locked up in the prison house of sin.

Galatians 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

Before faith came, we were heirs to the promise by election, but we were under a set of rules to teach us and instruct us. God treated us like children under the instructions of a father. He did not say, do this or don’t do that, as if we understood, but He came down to our level and instructed us. We were under tutors, guardians and governors until the time appointed when we come to faith.

Galatians 4 :1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all; 2 But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father. 3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world.

At the appointed time, we receive the gift of faith and trust Christ. We were redeemed from under the Law and received the adoption of sons.

Galatians 4 :4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

Now Paul asks the question. After you have known God, or rather are known of God, Why do you want to go back to the bondage of living by a set of rules?

Galatians 4 :8 Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. 9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

O ye thirsty ones that languish
On life’s drifting sand!
’Tis the Savior bending o’er you,
Reaching out His toil-worn hand.

http://nethymnal.org/htm/w/h/y/whywilyw.htm

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 2 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Bible]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Someone once said, I think I’m saved, but then they asked the question, what are the rules? What should I be doing and what should I not be doing to make sure I stay in favor with God? This person was trying to be sanctified and go on to perfection by rule-based living. Do this and don’t do that. Living by rules leads to an unhappy unfulfilled life. Those who are caught up in rule-based living are not very happy people. They have rules for eating, eat this, but don’t eat that. They have rules for worship, do it this way and not that way, and they have rules for drinking, drink this, but there is no way you can be a Christian and drink that. Paul taught that salvation is by grace through faith, and not of works of the law. Christianity is not what we render to God through rule-based living, but what we receive from Him through Grace-based living.

The Galatians, after having begun in the Spirit were in danger of sliding back into living by rules. One of the men that God used to establish His Church was Paul. Paul went on three missionary journeys preaching that salvation is by grace through faith in Christ alone and he kept in contact with his hearers. He preached this message in Galatia and many believed. Then he moved on to another location, but while he was away false teachers began to teach the Galatians another gospel. They began to teach them that if they wanted to get right, to be right and stay right with God that they needed to obey certain rules and the Galatians began to drift back from grace to rule-based living

When Paul heard about how they were drifting back into rule-based living, he sent them a letter and said to them,

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Galatians 1:6.

Now said Paul, I want to ask you a couple of questions. You began in the Spirit, are you now trying to be sanctified, made perfect, brought to Christian maturity by your works, by your flesh, by the law?

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

What then is the purpose of the law?
The Law was given to reveal sin that was already in us. The Law shows us our sin

Paul says,
Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

The Law condemns us, but the just shall live by faith.

Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

In Christ, we have Independence from the Law. Thanks be to God, Christ kept the Law and because of our faith in and union with Him, we are saved from the curse and bondage of the Law for we cannot keep the Law.

Free from the law, O happy condition,
Jesus has bled and there is remission,
Cursed by the law and bruised by the fall,
Grace hath redeemed us once for all.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/f/r/freefrom.htm

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement