Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Peace On An Island

Author Topic: Peace On An Island
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daily Meditation
"A high-tech way to deliver God's Word"

Peace On An Island

Rev 1:1,2 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants; things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John, who bore witness to the word of God, and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he saw.

Today’s Meditation focuses on the end of the first century, in the stunning green of the Aegean Sea, with Turkey to the East, and Greece to the West, a barren island braves the waves. It was a Roman penal colony, a rock quarry which cut stones for imperial temples and buildings. And it was to that colony island that a boat carrying John, the last apostle, and the final living member of Jesus’ inner circle, made its way to. You see, John was considered to be the last of the empire's greatest enemies.

Picture John if you will, around eighty years of age, grey and crippled, bowed and wizened along with being scarred by the fight. Nevertheless, he was still forced to work in the rock quarries. And as John labored there in the quarry, he meditated on what Jesus had done while he walked with Him. And I’m sure that he also reminisced about his own sixty years of ministry.

Envision, if you will, the storms howling off the Aegean Sea. Nonetheless, in the midst of those storms, I believe that he found a comforting peace as he recalled Jesus' power to calm howling winds like He did when the disciples were in the boat on the stormy Sea of Galilee. He no doubt remembered how Jesus spoke authoritatively to the wind and waves, and both immediately became calm, as well as His disciples.

And I suspect that whenever John saw withered vegetation on that Island of Patmos, he thought about the time Jesus caused the fig tree to wither. As he observed the other prisoners whom he saw die, he probably meditated on Jesus' power to touch dead bodies, and bring them back to life.

He thought back to the time when he personally saw the widow at "Nain"(Luke 7:11) sobbing as her son's coffin was being taken out to the burial place. And he remembered how Jesus walked out and intercepted the crowd, and "He had compassion on her and said to her, "Do not weep." Then He came and touched the open coffin, and those who carried him stood still. And He said, "Young man, I say to you, arise." So he who was dead sat up and began to speak. And He presented him to his mother."(Luke 7:13,14)

John was also there when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. He recalled how Jesus "cried with a loud voice, "Lazarus, come forth!" And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with graveclothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, "Loose him, and let him go.""(John 11:43,44)

Yes my friend, there was so many precious memories which the Holy Spirit let him refocus on, and of course the One who loved him so! He recalled how no matter where he was, he was near his beloved and ever-present Lord Jesus Christ. And as he "looked full in His wonderful face, the things of earth grew strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace." And John's heart was overwhelmed with joy, and he worshiped his Savior!

Perhaps you haven’t thought about it, but we have the same opportunity to worship the ever-present Christ, but we get to see more of Him than John was able to see. You see, John wrote just one of the four Gospels, and he didn’t personally witness what Matthew, Mark, and Luke reported. However, you and I have all the Gospels through which to see Jesus, so we have an abundance of precious moments of His power to meditate upon.

My friend, the same ever-present Jesus is with you at home, at school, at work, at play, or wherever you may be! Think about it! And as you meditate on it, consider whether or not you purposefully look for evidence of Jesus’ presence throughout your day, and even talk about it over dinner? I hope you do! Like a landmark, Jesus will never be out of sight for you.

I grew up on a farm, and for enjoyment, I spent many a glorious day in the woods. Later in life I lived in Montana, and roamed deep into wilderness areas. I had learned to pick out a landmark in the distance, and walk toward it. That way I would never get lost, or end up walking in circles. And when it was time to return, I could walk back towards a landmark where I started. Do you see it my friend? Just like a physical landmark which helps us keep our bearings, Jesus is always within sight - unless you turn your back on Him!

So the next time you feel alone, abandoned, desolate, or useless, remember that just as Jesus was never out of sight for John, He will never be out of your sight - no, not ever!

Keep Jesus in sight; you’ll like it!

PS: "Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near."(Rev 1:3)

Rev Russ

Meditations web site [Smile]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement