Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The English Standard Version

Author Topic: The English Standard Version
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have several other types /versions of study Bibles that don't have the red.
There are pros and cons either way.

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwolf6589
Community Member
Member # 8359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwolf6589     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also appears that the study Bibles do not come in red. Odd..
Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwolf6589
Community Member
Member # 8359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwolf6589     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As do I. But 2/3 of my ESV Bibles do not have the words of Christ in red.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an English Standard Version with words of Christ in red, published by Crossway Bibles.
Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some editions of the ESV do have the words of Christ in red.

http://www.crossway.org/catalog/bibles

The words of Paul are the words of Christ because Paul was taught by Christ, and led by the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 1:12 - 13 (NASB)
Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.” Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Galatians 1:12 (NLT)
I received my message from no human source, and no one taught me. Instead, I received it by direct revelation from Jesus Christ.

All of the Bible is composed of inspired writings. The Gospels were written by men who were inspired the same as the Epistles were written by men who were inspired. The entire Bible was authored by the Holy Spirit.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwolf6589
Community Member
Member # 8359

Can anyone tell me why many of the ESV SB's do not print with the words of Christ in red? I think the reason is because there are those that idiololize Christs words as being more inspired than Paul's, Peter's, John's and the rest of the Bible, and therefore ignore the rest of the Bible, and mostly focus on Christ. I have met people that believe this way and what they believe is false doctrine, just like how the Hyper Dispensationalist believes in only Paul's words, and holds them to a higher authority than Christ's.

Thanks

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement