Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » CALVARY IN RETROSPECT

Author Topic: CALVARY IN RETROSPECT
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, WildB, this is one of the most important fundamentals of Christian salvation.

Only because of what Jesus Christ did at the cross are we able to receive salvation.

Thanks for the post – it’s a good reminder to us that we should always give our thanks to God, who is Christ, for the salvation we received through his sacrifice of taking on our sins!

Praise be unto God, his Most High.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

If the Bible makes anything clear, it is the fact that the secret of all God's good news to man is centered at Calvary. It was because Christ was to die for sin that God could proclaim good news to sinners down through the ages.

It was not until some time after the crucifixion, however, that "the preaching of the cross" was widely proclaimed as a message by Paul in "the gospel [good news] of the grace of God" (Acts 20:24; I Cor. 1:18).

The proclamation of "the gospel of the grace of God" was the natural accompaniment to the revelation of the cross as the secret of God's good news to man. In this proclamation of His over-abounding grace to sinners, everything centers in the cross.

According to Paul's epistles "we have redemption through His [Christ's] blood" (Eph. 1:7), we are "justified by His blood" (Rom. 5:9), "reconciled to God by the death of His Son" (Rom. 5:10), "made nigh by the blood of Christ" (Eph. 2:13) and "made the righteousness of God in Him" because God "hath made Him to be sin for us" (11 Cor. 5:21).

The "covenant" of the law was abolished by the cross (Col. 2:14), the curse of the law was removed by the cross (Gal. 3:13), the "middle wall of partition" was broken down by the cross (Eph. 2:14) and believers in Christ are reconciled to God in one body by the cross (Eph. 2:16). Little wonder Paul calls his message "the preaching of the cross"!

To the believer it is thrilling to see the cross as God's reply to Satan when, at first glance, it had appeared that Calvary had been Satan's greatest triumph! Thus we can exclaim with Paul:

"God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ!" (Gal. 6:14).

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement