Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » THE PURPOSE OF THE LAW

Author Topic: THE PURPOSE OF THE LAW
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 Timothy, Chapter 1

005: Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
006: From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
007: Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

008: But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

009: Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
010: For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

011: According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my(Paul's) trust.

Also.....

Philippians 3
1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.
2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.

3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in His sight..."
(Rom. 3:20).

It is strange that so many sincere people can so misunderstand God's written Word as to suppose that He gave the Law "to help us to be good" or "as a rule of life." The Law was not given to help us to be good, but rather to show us that we are sinners and need a Savior. Rom. 3:22,23 says that "there is no difference, for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." How foolish, then, to look to the Law for help. Though the Law provides for just trial it does not help the criminal; it condemns him. Thus the Bible teaches that the Law was given:

"That every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may be brought in guilty before God" (Rom. 3:19).

"For by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Rom. 3:20).

"The law entered that the offense might abound" (Rom. 5:20).

"That sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful" (Rom. 7:13).

"It was added because of transgressions" (Gal. 3:19).

This leads us to St. Paul's great conclusion:

"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in His sight" (Rom. 3:20).

This makes sense, for doing a few "good" things cannot right the wrongs we have done. Good is what we should do, hence we should not expect to be rewarded for it.

But, thank God, "Christ died for our sins" (I Cor. 15:3) and "by Him all who believe are justified" (Acts 13:39).

"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law"
(Rom. 3:28).

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved" (Acts 16:31).

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement