Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » What Work Must I Do To Receive Salvation?

Author Topic: What Work Must I Do To Receive Salvation?
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i see...

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by barrykind:
sister Carol asks:

quote:
The righteousness of Christ has been imputed to us. What does that mean to you?
When we are "born again", this held much more meaning when it was spoken to Nicademous, [Jimmy Carter kinda exploited the term], but when one is "born again from above", The Messiah's rigteousness by keeping the law is "imputed" to us.

That means it was imparted, it was counted to us as righteousness, it is "grace" because we could never, never "kept" the law like Yahushua did, without spot or blemish "perfect"; but this GRACE in which i speak of imparted that same righteousness to us, so at that point all our "previous" sins were surely washed away, to the "sea" of forgetfullness" if you will...
As far as the East is from the West; and God in HIS sovergn (sp), state "remembers" them NO MORE!

This was an answer i used on another Thread i think answers your question:

love
barry

In Romans 4:6-8, Paul used David as a witness, quoting from one of David’s psalms of confession after his terrible sin with Bathsheba (Ps. 32:1-2). David made two amazing statements: (1) God forgives sins and imputes righteousness apart from works; (2) God does not impute our sins. In other words, once we are justified, our record contains Christ’s perfect righteousness and can never again contain our sins. Christians do sin, and these sins need to be forgiven if we are to have fellowship with God (1 John 1:5-7); but these sins are not held against us. God does keep a record of our works, so that He might reward us when Jesus comes; but He is not keeping a record of our sins.

God in His holiness could not ignore the debt that we owe, for God must be faithful to His own Law. So He paid the debt for us.

Theologians call this “the doctrine of imputation.” (To impute means “to put it on account.”) When Jesus Christ died on the cross, my sins were put on His account; and He was treated the way I should have been treated. When I trusted Him as my Saviour, His righteousness was put on my account; and now God accepts me in Jesus Christ.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sister Carol if i did not answer your question proper let me know...

i no longer talk to wildBILL

love'b

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

sister Carol asks:

quote:
When we are "born again", this held much more meaning when it was spoken to Nicademous, [Jimmy Carter kinda exploited the term], but when one is "born again from above", The Messiah's rigteousness by keeping the law is "imputed" to us.

That means it was imparted, it was counted to us as righteousness, it is "grace" because we could never, never "kept" the law like Yahushua did, without spot or blemish "perfect"; but this GRACE in which i speak of imparted that same righteousness to us, so at that point all our "previous" sins were surely washed away, to the "sea" of forgetfullness" if you will...
As far as the East is from the West; and God in HIS sovergn (sp), state "remembers" them NO MORE!

This was an answer i used on another Thread i think answers your question:

love
barry

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Yes basically agree with you here sister.

i see a little different after one is saved.

And terminology differeing.

We know that salvation is by the Grace of YHWH.

we know that one has to be "given the measure" of faith to believe.(The word) *hearing gospel)

We know that one must repent.

After one is "born again" from above....

They must "keep" His commandments
They must endure to the end
They must bear forth good fruit
They must learn forgiveness

James states: Show me your faith without your works and i will show you my faith by my works!

So i see that faith produces works (actions), not "keeping the Law" keeps me saved...The law is written on my heart, the TEN Commandments are written there.

Have i fallen short, of course; but i have an advocate "Yahushua"; pleading my case of my repentant heart.
His shed blood the "atonement" for such a transgression of the written law in my heart.

Only when i WALK IN THE FLESH does the written laws penalty come back in to effect; making "Wages of Sin"=death

Un repented sin...Transgressing YHWH's law, of the heart...which can be just refusing to go do what HE tells me to do..Rebellion

Like some stated its "more than just the 10 commandments"

The 2 greatest commands that Yahushua gave fulfill all the 10...

Dont you fool yourselves for a moment, or let satan say :YOU SHALL SURELY NOT DIE"!

One bypasses (harden your heart) to conviction, next time its not as loud, next time is gettin soft, until one looks up and is in a mess!!!

Prodigal son!

Let us walk circumspectly, keeping my "BODY" UNDER as Paul states..

lest we have preached to others and become a castaway!

Folks im not saying iknow more that anyone, nor am i educated, i want to see everyone here do well and prosper and be in health.

i would like to encourage everyone, once saved...let us not seek how close to the "FIRE" we can walk and still be free...let us please our Master....and do all we can to be an example>

i will do all i can to answer any legitimate question or response, but life is way to short to answer a "FOOL" according to his folly..i do not want to be likened unto him!

Yah Bless
\barry

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romans 10

Everything about the Jewish religion pointed to the coming Messiah—their sacrifices, priesthood, temple services, religious festivals, and covenants. Their Law told them they were sinners in need of a Saviour. But instead of letting the Law bring them to Christ (Gal. 3:24), they worshiped their Law and rejected their Saviour. The Law was a signpost, pointing the way. But it could never take them to their destination. The Law cannot give righteousness; it only leads the sinner to the Saviour who can give righteousness.

Christ is “the end of the Law” in the sense that through His death and resurrection, He has terminated the ministry of the Law for those who believe. The Law is ended as far as Christians are concerned. The righteousness of the Law is being fulfilled in the life of the believer through the power of the Spirit (Rom. 8:4); but the reign of the Law has ended (see Eph. 2:15; Col. 2:14). “For ye are not under the Law, but under grace” (Rom. 6:14).

Paul quoted from the Old Testament to prove to his readers that they did not even understand their own Law. He began with Leviticus 18:5 which states the purpose of the Law: if you obey it, you live.

“But we did obey it!” they would argue.

“You may have obeyed it outwardly,” Paul would reply, “but you did not believe it from your heart.” He then quoted Deuteronomy 30:12-14 and gave the passage a deeper spiritual meaning. The theme of Moses’ message was “the commandment” (Deut. 30:11), referring to the Word of God. Moses argued that the Jews had no reason to disobey the Word of God because it had been clearly explained to them and it was not far from them. In fact, Moses urged them to receive the Word in their hearts (see Deut. 5:29; 6:5-12; 13:3; 30:6). The emphasis in Deuteronomy is on the heart, the inner spiritual condition and not mere outward acts of obedience.

Paul gave us the spiritual understanding of this admonition. He saw “the commandment” or “the Word” as meaning “Christ, God’s Word.” So, he substituted “Christ” for “the commandment.” He told us that God’s way of salvation was not difficult and complicated. We do not have to go to heaven to find Christ, or into the world of the dead. He is near to us. In other words, the Gospel of Christ—the Word of faith—is available and accessible. The sinner need not perform difficult works in order to be saved. All he has to do is trust Christ. The very Word on the lips of the religious Jews was the Word of faith. The very Law that they read and recited pointed to Christ.

At this point Paul quoted Isaiah 28:16 to show that salvation is by faith: “Whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed.” He quoted this verse before in Romans 9:33. He made it clear in Romans 10:9-10 that salvation is by faith—we believe in the heart, receive God’s righteousness, and then confess Christ openly and without shame.

Paul’s final quotation was from Joel 2:32, to prove that this salvation is open to everyone: “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Paul had already proved that “there is no difference” in condemnation (Rom. 3:20-23); now he affirms that “there is no difference” in salvation. Instead of the Jew having a special righteousness of his own through the Law, he was declared to be as much a sinner as the Gentile he condemned.

This entire section emphasizes the difference between “Law righteousness” and “faith righteousness.” The contrasts are seen in the following summary.

Law Righteousness
Faith Righteousness

Only for the Jew
For “whosoever”

Based on works
Comes by faith alone

Self-righteousness
God’s righteousness

Cannot save
Brings salvation

Obey the Lord
Call on the Lord

Leads to pride
Glorifies God

(Wiersbe)

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, most of what you mentioned are miracles. They are not things a spiritually dead person can do alone.

When Paul talks about works he means the works of the law. When James talks about works he means kindness and charity. Neither of these can save a lost sinner. Obedience and charity are things the Holy Spirit teaches and empowers us to do after we are spiritually reborn.

Only the regeneration of the Holy Spirit brings salvation.

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Dont you think by the term "works" the bible is talking about the "works" of the Law?

Salvation is by Grace, unmerited favor of YHWH, calling upon the name of His dear Son Yahushua!

calling on the name of the Lord, is that a work;
repentance is that works?
Godly sorrow, is that works,
To turn from your ways and accepting His, is that works?

Just asking

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Work Must I Do To Receive Salvation?

Almost all the religions of the world have a common denominator, they have a works based system of righteousness. In other words they have laws, rules and sometimes man made regulations one needs to obey to be right with God. There are many other pseudo Christian Churches that also have works in their plan for salvation. Its either for salvation or to maintain it. This is often used as the means to keep one working for their cause thinking there is no where else to go to serve or know God. This is simply not true.

The worlds religions have man trying to please God by his own deeds, trying to reach upward to God. Christianity teaches that man is unable to reach God by anything we do, so God himself reached downward with his own hand from heaven. He became a man to accomplish the solution of our dilemma which has always been sin. This was done through the person of Jesus Christ.

Can our works give us salvation?

In the Psalms it states all our works are like filthy rags. In other words no one would ever think of using them before God to show their righteousness or being clean.

God's standard is perfection, something we cannot fathom since we've never seen it or experienced it. His perfection is from his own nature. This is why he is separate from his creation.

He has made one way for all mankind to know his love and forgiveness. This was done through the work of Jesus on the cross. He died for our sins. This is what is called Grace, unmerited favor. Because of what he has done, we need to do no work to receive it. It's all been taken care of. This is the gospel.

There are some who believe this good news to a certain extent. But they will then add on a certain criteria for one to follow afterwards. By doing this they are proposing that having faith in the gospel is not enough. What if someone is believing the gospel but feels they must do works, such as tithing, witnessing door to door, keeping the 10 commandments, being baptized a certain way, etc., to have God accept them? They have then removed themselves from the gospel of grace. All these things are done after we receive the free gift. To get salvation or maintain it by works is then mixing man's ability with God's. Then the gospel, what God has done, is said to be insufficient. They may not come right out and say this but in practice this is exactly what they are saying.

Think of it this way. If it was your birthday and a friend came and gave a gift, something that you really wanted, you'd be very thankful. But what if you pulled out your wallet and said "Let me pay you for your gift." That would be a real insult to him. He gave it to you out of love not asking for anything in return.

Let's look at the popular religions that claim to be the Christian church and what they teach about how one receives or obtains salvation.

Roman Catholicism - sacraments is an outward sign given by Christ to give grace. The entrance to the sacraments begins with baptism which erases original sin. Then one is able to partake of the sacraments as extensions of the redeeming acts of Christ. Then comes confirmation, The Eucharist, confession, holy orders, marriage etc. Again the gospel of grace is muddied over with other activities.

Jehovah's Witnesses - by works - "Working hard for the reward of eternal life." (WT 8/15/1972 p.491) this is why they so diligently go door to door.

What important part do the works play? "Such works will show that you are choosing life." (Loc. cit., p. 251.)

"To receive everlasting life in the earthly Paradise we must identify that organization and serve God as part of it." (WATCHTOWER, February 15, 1983, p. 12.)

So having faith on what Christ has done is not sufficient, one must serve the organization and work to receive what Christ already promised is free.

Mormons - The Gospel of Mormonism is "faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands, morality, loyalty, tithing, word of wisdom, duty, celestial marriage." (Articles of faith)

"Christians speak often of the blood of Christ and its cleansing power. Much that is believed and taught on this subject, however, is such utter nonsense and so palpably false that to believe it is to lose one's salvation." (LDS Tract entitled, What the Mormons Think of Christ, p.31)

"Therefore, acting alone, the grace of Christ is not sufficient for salvation. The works of man -- the ordinances of salvation, the deeds of service and acts of charity and mercy -- are necessary for salvation...," (By Grace Are We Saved: The necessity of God's grace in addition to man's good works, 1989 ed., p. 70)

"Salvation is not a gift of God which comes to man through the decree of Deity or through the sacramental action of the Church. It is a gift of God which man must work diligently to achieve." (The Religion of the Latter-day Saints, p. 160)

"We know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 25:23)

"Men have work to do if they would obtain salvation." (Doctrines of salvation vol.3 p.91)

Clearly Mormonism has an intricate system of works that is tied into the church structure itself, just like Catholicism. They deny what the bible says "without the shedding of blood there is NO forgiveness of sins." They have works which are church ordinances that must be strictly obeyed for one to receive salvation. This means one is not saved until they do all these requirements.

Lets look at some of the non -Christian religions

Islam - depends upon good works. There is no sacrificial work of Christ on their behalf. One is either predestined to Allah's favor or wrath, but one can never know or be confident of it.

God loves those who cleanse themselves. Every soul will be paid in full what it has earned. {In the day of judgment} they whose balances shall be heavy with good works, shall be happy, but they whose balances shall be light are those who shall lose their souls." Sura 23:104-105

Again it is a system of self works which means they believe they can be good enough for God to accept them on their own. This is the common denominator of all the religions, yet they all have some different rules to obtain it.

Hinduism - salvation by yoga and meditation, self-enlightenment as well as doing good deeds to change one's karma.

Buddhism - salvation by denying one's desires. By doing this they are delivered from suffering and a candidate to enjoy the beyond.

Eightfold path consists of: 3 sections Wisdom, Ethical conduct, ethical disciplines. "Be lamps unto yourselves. Be a refuge unto yourselves. DO not turn to any external refuge.... Work out your own salvation with diligence" (Mahaparinibbana-sutta 2.33; 6:10; from the Pali Canon)

While all these religions do curtail sinful actions in some degree, none of them have the ability to change one's heart. They can help reform a person in this life but what of afterwards?

The jailer cried out to Paul this question, "What must I do to be saved?" Paul said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved."

The only work God will accept is the work of Christ. Nothing else will help in salvation because Christ is God who came from heaven to do the necessary work for man. The Bible says 'let every man be a liar and let God be true'.

As the Pharisees who prided themselves on their works asked Jesus in John 6:28-30 "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?" Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent." Therefore they said to Him, "What sign will You perform then, that we may see it and believe You? What work will You do?"

The Pharisees, who were probably the most religious group of people in all biblical history, maybe even the world, asked Jesus point blank about doing God's work. Jesus pointed to himself, saying to believe in him whom God sent. This went right over their heads because they proceeded to ask about proof of who he is by a demonstration of power. Do a miracle and we'll believe! But He denied them this exhibition and reminded them of the miracles of provision their forefathers saw in the wilderness. That too was never enough.

So we can't look to the outer good or manifestation of power to know if someone is of God. Jesus said if you want to do God's work it begins with him and believing His word and believing in His work.

The bible never gives a standard of how much work is needed for one to be in a right relationship with God for the simple reason that it cannot apply for salvation. In 1 Corinthians 3:15 it tells us of a man whose works are all burned yet he still has salvation. So works do not merit anything in relationship to salvation. They do for commendation later but one needs to begin with their being right with God before they can do God's work.

Why do people opt for looking at their own works instead of accepting Gods grace? It's easier to look at one's self-obedience to gauge how they are doing than to rest in another One's work for them. Works foster pride in man. It has us believing that we can do what is needed to have God accept us.

The Gospel is the opposite of man's ability to please God by his works. It is God's personal work for man-- it is Grace, a gift freely given.

The gospel is the evangel, the good news of God to man. He will not judge us if we accept the work that he has done. This good news is only found in Christ.

It is the giving of God, it is for man, it is free. We don't deserve it and we can never earn it, but because of his marvelous love he is willing to give it. Your part is only to accept it. It will never burden you nor have you strive, it will free you to be the person God made you to be.

Ephesians 2:8-10: For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

From faith proceeds our works.

Titus 3:5 says, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us through the washing of regeneration, and the renewing of the Holy Spirit."

God has given only one way for man to come to him. He became the way for us to come by the crucifixion of Christ. Accomplishing what man could not.

So what works must you do to receive salvation?

You must believe (have faith) in the gospel, receiving his love gift to us. It's simple yet profound.

http://www.letusreason.org/Cult8.htm

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement